View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 24th, 2014, 11:36 am

Reply to topic  [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Ansah it is 
Walk On

Post Re: Ansah it is
Could be worst, we could be Buffalo fans taking a 2nd maybe 3rd Rd QB.

April 26th, 2013, 1:10 pm
Mufasa wrote:

I don't know about that...

Manuel looks pretty damn good (67% accuracy in college, tall, smart, fast)... He looks like a RICH man's version of Russel Wilson.

I bet there are teams that wish they would have "reached" for Wilson in the first round of last year's draft.

I wish we would have drafted Mingo over Ansah, but oh well... IMO we took the classic Oakland Raiders pick. Physical freak that can't play football. I've said before that I don't like how Ansah gets off the ball, maybe he'll get better?

April 26th, 2013, 1:16 pm
NFL Veteran

wjb21ndtown wrote:
Mufasa wrote:

Manuel looks pretty damn good (67% accuracy in college, tall, smart, fast)... He looks like a RICH man's version of Russel Wilson.

I bet there are teams that wish they would have "reached" for Wilson in the first round of last year's draft.

I wish we would have drafted Mingo over Ansah, but oh well... IMO we took the classic Oakland Raiders pick. Physical freak that can't play football. I've said before that I don't like how Ansah gets off the ball, maybe he'll get better?

I agree about EJ I think he or maybe even Landry Jones will actually be the best QBs out of this draft.

I liked Mingo a lot also. He has the best first step out of the pass rushers this year, but with him you are guaranteed to have to give him a year before he's physically ready to be a full time DE. Even with Ansah's limited time playing football he learned to play across the whole line and was playing the run well while getting his hands in the air to disrupt passing lanes. I don't think Ansah will have a problem starting in the NFL it's just how well he picks up more pass rushing skills.

April 26th, 2013, 1:27 pm
rao wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
Mufasa wrote:

I agree about EJ I think he or maybe even Landry Jones will actually be the best QBs out of this draft.

I liked Mingo a lot also. He has the best first step out of the pass rushers this year, but with him you are guaranteed to have to give him a year before he's physically ready to be a full time DE. Even with Ansah's limited time playing football he learned to play across the whole line and was playing the run well while getting his hands in the air to disrupt passing lanes. I don't think Ansah will have a problem starting in the NFL it's just how well he picks up more pass rushing skills.

I agree with you completely. I just see Mingo as the better "football" player, and I trust his ability to develop and adapt physically more than I trust our ability to teach Ansah the game of football.

We don't have a great track record developing our talent. If we were the NY Giants, or the Baltimore Ravens I would feel differently.

April 26th, 2013, 1:32 pm
League MVP

rao wrote:
The Legend wrote:
njroar wrote:
While he lacks experience, he also lacks bad habits. Everybody talked about the rough practice week he had during Senior bowl week, but he took what the coaches said and he turned in a dominant performance in the game. He wants to learn, he's smart enough to take it all in and put it to work on the field, so I'm looking forward to see how Washburn and Gunther develop him. He won't face doubles with Suh and Fairley in the middle and he has the pure power to push the edge. The highest ceiling out of any of the DEs in the draft.

highest ceiling but lowest floor...the first few DEs that will come off the board in the 2nd round are all better players right now and Carradine and Hunt have similar physical gifts (as Ansah).

Carradine may have gifts similar but he's coming off an ACL and was projected as a late 1st rounder - 2nd rounder. The Lions can't pass on a player they feel is great for them hoping that another player will fall to them in the 2nd. The price to trade up for an OT was to high, so they waited for one to fall and look how that went.

Magus Hunt is not similar to Ziggy or any of the good outside pass rushers. He's stiff as a board and wont be able to bend the corner. Playing at the 9 would just emphasize his biggest weakness as a player. Hunt is a 3-4 DE with good quickness and burst.

I dont see Hunt as being "stiff" on his tape at all. He gets off the line much quicker than Ansah and plays with a lot of power, I dont see Ansah using his hands against the OL or playing with much power vs the OL. I do see Ansah tackle with tremendous power and make more hustle/pursuit plays. I think they are pretty similar overall given the backgrounds, both being a little bit older, Hunt stronger and with better football skills with Ansah better at changing directions and having a little more hustle. I have no concerns at all with an ACL injury for a player such as Carradine who plays at a high level and who can afford some small dropoff. And yes I do think the Lions should be paying attention to the depth available at certain positions in the draft and who might be available later - I dont think you can get good value, multiple starters, etc without being cognizant of that.

April 26th, 2013, 2:06 pm
League MVP

rao wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
Mufasa wrote:

EJ Manuel in my opinion was way overdrafted. I liked him as a a guy to take in the 5th round and bring along slowly with star potential but when he s taken in Rd 1 I think the clock starts sooner. He needs to be rushed along, the pressure on him is much more and he has to play within a year or two. I dont see it working out for Manuel in Buffalo and I could see him having an Alex Smith like start to his career. Manuel could develop later on like Smith, but the 2-3 times I saw him in games this season he was highly disappointing. I dont like Landry Jones accuracy, I think he s a future backup QB unless the stars align for him in a good situation. I really think either Barkley or Geno Smith are the best QBs in the draft. If Smith ends up in Philly - watch out but if he s in Jacksonville maybe not. Barkley's stock IMO has taken an unfair hit bc of dysfunctional Lane Kiffin and people drawing similarities to Mark Sanchez. Barkley to me is much more competitive, yet more poised and a better decision maker.

April 26th, 2013, 2:16 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Ive consistently said Barkley is the best QB in this draft, but would do best in a Wet Toast offense. I said the same about Andy Dalton, and while Cam newton didn't flop as I thought, Daltons not doing too bad for himself. Barkley is incredibly cerebral and recognizes defenses well. Only time will tell but IMO EJ was overdrafted IMO, as would have been Nassib had he been the pick. Geno should go to the Eagles for his sake, lol.

As far as Getting a 2nd DE, I think Tank would be a perfect fit and value at 36, or at 65 if Montgomery made it there hed be a great target as would Cornelius Washington. I could handle Hunt as well, somewhere in between the 36 and 65 if we trade back. I do think a 2nd DE needs to come from this draft as we rotate players, and I don't feel comfortable with Young and Lewis as our 3rd and 4th DEs. Gholston at 4-35, 5-4 or 6-3 if he somehow made it would also be a good choice.

EDIT: Also If we don't take a 2nd DE in the draft (or maybe even if we do).. I think We should be doing EVERYTHING in our power to Sign Freeney or Abraham to Modest 2 yr contracts to Mentor Ansah (and 2nd DE if drafter/ R Lewis/Willie Young). Abraham may want to go to a contender, and while im sure Freeney would as well he has his SB ring, and apparently loves mentoring youth so hed be perfect for this. Id also LOVE for the Lions to bring back KVB as a Assistant DL Coach for the same purpose. Put KVBs work ethic and knowledge into Ansahs freakish tools and an onfield example like Freeney/Abraham and we may quickly have the best DL in Football.

April 26th, 2013, 2:36 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
NFL Veteran

The Legend wrote:
rao wrote:
The Legend wrote:
njroar wrote:
While he lacks experience, he also lacks bad habits. Everybody talked about the rough practice week he had during Senior bowl week, but he took what the coaches said and he turned in a dominant performance in the game. He wants to learn, he's smart enough to take it all in and put it to work on the field, so I'm looking forward to see how Washburn and Gunther develop him. He won't face doubles with Suh and Fairley in the middle and he has the pure power to push the edge. The highest ceiling out of any of the DEs in the draft.

highest ceiling but lowest floor...the first few DEs that will come off the board in the 2nd round are all better players right now and Carradine and Hunt have similar physical gifts (as Ansah).

Carradine may have gifts similar but he's coming off an ACL and was projected as a late 1st rounder - 2nd rounder. The Lions can't pass on a player they feel is great for them hoping that another player will fall to them in the 2nd. The price to trade up for an OT was to high, so they waited for one to fall and look how that went.

Magus Hunt is not similar to Ziggy or any of the good outside pass rushers. He's stiff as a board and wont be able to bend the corner. Playing at the 9 would just emphasize his biggest weakness as a player. Hunt is a 3-4 DE with good quickness and burst.

I dont see Hunt as being "stiff" on his tape at all. He gets off the line much quicker than Ansah and plays with a lot of power, I dont see Ansah using his hands against the OL or playing with much power vs the OL. I do see Ansah tackle with tremendous power and make more hustle/pursuit plays. I think they are pretty similar overall given the backgrounds, both being a little bit older, Hunt stronger and with better football skills with Ansah better at changing directions and having a little more hustle. I have no concerns at all with an ACL injury for a player such as Carradine who plays at a high level and who can afford some small dropoff. And yes I do think the Lions should be paying attention to the depth available at certain positions in the draft and who might be available later - I dont think you can get good value, multiple starters, etc without being cognizant of that.

Hunt runs off balance at times and consistently stands to tall when getting off the snap. He is explosive but since he plays to high he is effectively lowing his strength after the initial contact. The guy is a straight line power rusher. Makes him excellent for the 34 but poor at the 9. I like him as a prospect and he should have a good career if he learns well, but he is in no way a fit for the 9. Ansah moves almost as well as both Jordan and Mingo in space. He's fluid and in control when he's changing direction and many scouts thought if given the time he could go out and cover at OLB. They are not the same kind of athlete and Hunt doesn't fit the Lions system right now.

I really like Carradine and if the Lions would have got their OT I would have been hoping he would fall to the 2nd. They unfortunately couldn't get their first targets and I feel it would be very irresponsible to skip on a player you feel is ready to help your team and a rare athlete on the hope that another guy you think has 1st round talent falls to the second. Carradine wasn't a lock to be there in the 2nd and I don't think any of the other DE prospects are as good of a prospect as Ansah. Like I stated earlier about Hunt I don't think he fits and I think Moore has no interest in anything more than making money as a pro.

April 26th, 2013, 2:46 pm
Modmin Dude

PFT wrote:
Ziggy Ansah’s mom was hoping a team in Utah would draft him
Posted by Michael David Smith on April 26, 2013, 1:02 PM EDT

The cutest story of the NFL draft may come from the mother of Lions first-round draft pick Ezekiel “Ziggy” Ansah, who traveled from her home in Ghana to New York City to be there with her son.

Ansah had never seen a game of American football before he enrolled at BYU, and his mom still doesn’t know much about the sport, other than that her son is good at it. In fact, she didn’t come to America this week with visions of seeing Ezekiel put on an NFL jersey. She came wanting to see him put on his cap and gown as a college graduate.

“I am extremely proud of him for graduating from college,” Elizabeth Cole, Ansah’s mom, told the Deseret News.

She’s less excited that he’s going to Detroit — not that she has anything against the Lions, just that she knows her son thrived in Provo, Utah, at BYU, and she was hoping her son could stick around in a place where he had been made to feel at home as a college student from far away. According to Dave Birkett of the Detroit Free Press, Elizabeth asked BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall after the Lions took Ansah if it was still possible that Ezekiel could also be drafted by a team in Utah.

Ziggy had to explain to his mom that it doesn’t quite work that way, but he was just happy to see her, for only the second time since he left Ghana for BYU four years ago.

“I’m so happy that she is here,” Ansah said. “I can’t put it into words. You can’t explain the feeling.”

Asked to describe her son, Elizabeth said that among other positive traits, he’s “always gentle.” As long as he saves that gentle nature for off the field and goes hard after the opposing quarterback on the field, Ansah will be welcomed as warmly in Detroit as he was in Utah.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... draft-him/
:arrow: :idea:

April 26th, 2013, 4:46 pm
League MVP

rao wrote:
The Legend wrote:
rao wrote:
The Legend wrote:
njroar wrote:

Hunt runs off balance at times and consistently stands to tall when getting off the snap. He is explosive but since he plays to high he is effectively lowing his strength after the initial contact. The guy is a straight line power rusher. Makes him excellent for the 34 but poor at the 9. I like him as a prospect and he should have a good career if he learns well, but he is in no way a fit for the 9. Ansah moves almost as well as both Jordan and Mingo in space. He's fluid and in control when he's changing direction and many scouts thought if given the time he could go out and cover at OLB. They are not the same kind of athlete and Hunt doesn't fit the Lions system right now.

I really like Carradine and if the Lions would have got their OT I would have been hoping he would fall to the 2nd. They unfortunately couldn't get their first targets and I feel it would be very irresponsible to skip on a player you feel is ready to help your team and a rare athlete on the hope that another guy you think has 1st round talent falls to the second. Carradine wasn't a lock to be there in the 2nd and I don't think any of the other DE prospects are as good of a prospect as Ansah. Like I stated earlier about Hunt I don't think he fits and I think Moore has no interest in anything more than making money as a pro.

If the Lions cant fit Hunt into the wide 9 how can they fit Jason Jones into it at DE. Hunt fits much more than Jones. As for Moore, you cannot argue with his production and passrush skills. Maybe there s an issue with his work ethic but if money motivates him to work hard I have no problem with that.

April 26th, 2013, 5:41 pm
NFL Veteran

The Legend wrote:
rao wrote:
The Legend wrote:
rao wrote:
The Legend wrote:
njroar wrote:

If the Lions cant fit Hunt into the wide 9 how can they fit Jason Jones into it at DE. Hunt fits much more than Jones. As for Moore, you cannot argue with his production and passrush skills. Maybe there s an issue with his work ethic but if money motivates him to work hard I have no problem with that.

Jason Jones is a very agile player and has 4 years of experience playing in the wide-9 at multiple positions. They aren't fitting him into the wide-9, he has already fit into it. Hunt is not more agile than Jones and would be starting from scratch at the scheme. Jones isn't even a 3 down player at DE for the Lions and they plan to move him inside on some passing downs. Hunt has been considered a 3-technique or 5 technique by virtually every scouting report on him, he's a 34 DE.

As for Moore, he avoids the weight room and doesn't take football seriously. He is going to be a terrible locker room presence and the Lions just went through a whole year of bad attitudes they don't need another one. His combine and proday stuff wouldn't matter to me one bit if he didn't have a bad attitude and bad work ethic.

April 26th, 2013, 6:29 pm
League MVP

Rao - i think its funny in one post you defend Ronnel Lewis and the way the organiation handles attitude problems and arrests but then say that about Moore... way to be a contrarian. anyway, Hunt maybe would better fit a 3-4 but I dont see any reason he couldnt play in a 4-3 and be pretty good. besides this current staff isnt going to be around forever.

April 26th, 2013, 7:21 pm
NFL Veteran

The Legend wrote:
Rao - i think its funny in one post you defend Ronnel Lewis and the way the organiation handles attitude problems and arrests but then say that about Moore... way to be a contrarian. anyway, Hunt maybe would better fit a 3-4 but I dont see any reason he couldnt play in a 4-3 and be pretty good. besides this current staff isnt going to be around forever.

Where is the contradiction? Lewis made one mistake, Moore has a character flaw. The two issues are nothing similar. Nice stretch.

I didn't say Hunt couldn't play in a 4-3, I said he's a bad fit and he is. You don't draft a player to play for a different staff, you draft a guy to play for your current staff. He's a bad fit and a bad pick for the Lions.

April 26th, 2013, 7:49 pm
League MVP

rao wrote:
The Legend wrote:

Where is the contradiction? Lewis made one mistake, Moore has a character flaw. The two issues are nothing similar. Nice stretch.

I didn't say Hunt couldn't play in a 4-3, I said he's a bad fit and he is. You don't draft a player to play for a different staff, you draft a guy to play for your current staff. He's a bad fit and a bad pick for the Lions.

hunt isnt a bad pick if he s there in rd 3

April 26th, 2013, 8:00 pm
NFL Veteran

The Legend wrote:
rao wrote:
The Legend wrote:

hunt isnt a bad pick if he s there in rd 3

That we can agree on. At that point its value.

April 26th, 2013, 8:01 pm
Reply to topic   [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next