View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 19th, 2014, 1:48 pm

Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 3rd Round Pick @ #65 - Larry Warford G Kentucy 
QB Coach

Post Re: 3rd Round Pick @ #65 - Larry Warford G Kentucy
Barrett Jones, Khaled Holmes and Brian Schwenke are on the board and at least 1 of them will make it to our pick. I'm hoping for Jones, but he's been falling throughout the whole process for some reason (injuries?).

April 27th, 2013, 2:21 am
5th Round Pick - Traded

Lins franc surgery.

April 27th, 2013, 2:42 am
Red Shirt Freshman

One thing's for certain, everyone is feeling a whole heck of a lot better about the draft with the pick of Warford.

I took a look at the Centers that are left, it looks like there aren't any really huge ones amongst the higher ranked centers, just guys in the 300-315 pound range.

April 27th, 2013, 3:38 am
Position Coach

Post Re: 2nd Round Pick @ #45 - Larry Warford G Kentucy
yostevo wrote:
He's going to move people off the line which this team has lacked for quite awhile. He'll open holes but for a team that passes as much as we do, will he be able to pass protect? I like the pick though.

Hopefully we wont be behind as much this season and wont have to throw it as much. I think that had a lot to do with it. Hopefully this guy can make it possible for us to run on 3rd & 3s, 4. We haven't had that element in forever

April 27th, 2013, 3:49 am
Mr. Irrelevant

Think the Lions should look at Centers after the draft, priority free agents. There will be some talented kids that slip thru.

April 27th, 2013, 7:50 am
League MVP

the fact that they took Warford over Dallas Thomas is interesting to me especially in light of the Reggie Bush signing. Thomas more fits some of the plays you would run with Bush but if you think back to last season the Lions did try to run a lot of power rushing plays with Leshoure and Bell and a lot of the pressure on pass plays was coming directly over Peterman. Im not sure if this signifies a change in philosophy after years of having a finesse type of line.

April 27th, 2013, 9:06 am
1st Round Pick

The Legend wrote:
the fact that they took Warford over Dallas Thomas is interesting to me especially in light of the Reggie Bush signing. Thomas more fits some of the plays you would run with Bush but if you think back to last season the Lions did try to run a lot of power rushing plays with Leshoure and Bell and a lot of the pressure on pass plays was coming directly over Peterman. Im not sure if this signifies a change in philosophy after years of having a finesse type of line.

I think if you look at what Tenn always tried to get at RG when Schwartz was there and look at Peterman, they seem to move towards big strong RGs to get push. Warford is built just like Peterman, but seems like a better, stronger player. I think even though they like to run a more finesse offense, Schwartz still likes to have that physical right side to the line.

April 27th, 2013, 9:24 am
League MVP

rao wrote:
The Legend wrote:

I think if you look at what Tenn always tried to get at RG when Schwartz was there and look at Peterman, they seem to move towards big strong RGs to get push. Warford is built just like Peterman, but seems like a better, stronger player. I think even though they like to run a more finesse offense, Schwartz still likes to have that physical right side to the line.

do you think maybe they would consider fox at lt and reiff at rt, or maybe even Hilliard over Fox at RT with Reiff at the LT?

April 27th, 2013, 9:28 am
1st Round Pick

The Legend wrote:
rao wrote:
The Legend wrote:

do you think maybe they would consider fox at lt and reiff at rt, or maybe even Hilliard over Fox at RT with Reiff at the LT?

I still see Fox as a back-up. Hilliard has played RT as a fill in for Gos and did ok. Fox has mostly spent time learning the LT spot and I think he will remain the primary back-up there.

I wouldn't be surprised for them to bring in another OT before camp also. They have to have some concern about lack of playing time and injuries to all their Oline players.

April 27th, 2013, 9:47 am
League MVP

Quote:
They have to have some concern about lack of playing time and injuries to all their Oline players.

I would hope so...IMO they shouldnt give Stafford the extension until he survives this season. It could in a way work out to sabotage Stafford's leverage - put him behind this young, inexperienced line see Stafford's perceived market value go down and then give him a less pricy extension later. If I were Stafford the way this offseason is shaping up with no new WR adds and the loss of 3 veteran lineman replaced with backups/rookies I d be running straight to my agent and telling him to get a deal done.

April 27th, 2013, 11:14 am
Veteran General Manager

lionsfanak wrote:
Lins franc surgery.

Perfect candidate for us. We don't need a Center until next year when Raiola retires. We can put him on the pup list and then IR him at decision time.

April 27th, 2013, 11:19 am
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

rao wrote:
The Legend wrote:

I would Hope (and think its pretty obv the right choice) that Reiff is our LT, and you lex Fox and Hilliard battle for RT. I think Hilliard Wins, and Fox is Backup at Both positions with a UDFA or Late rounder as our 4th. As to FIness vs Strength, I kinda think it might be interested to have the left side be more technically sound (Reiff/Sims) and pulls, then then Have 2 Hoggier beefcakes on the Right side to get the 1-2 yd runs. Youd think it would give it away, but really if you have that OL, ppl will expect the 1-2 yd run to go right everyt ime, bringing in midsirection opportunities which is actually more important than saying WERE GOING OVER RIGHT GUARD AND YOU CANT STOP US mentality that often teams employ and fail at. It works in College (See Alabama vs Everyone) but at the PRO level it fails 90% of the time.

April 27th, 2013, 5:31 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
1st Round Pick

DJ-B wrote:
rao wrote:
The Legend wrote:

I would Hope (and think its pretty obv the right choice) that Reiff is our LT, and you lex Fox and Hilliard battle for RT. I think Hilliard Wins, and Fox is Backup at Both positions with a UDFA or Late rounder as our 4th. As to FIness vs Strength, I kinda think it might be interested to have the left side be more technically sound (Reiff/Sims) and pulls, then then Have 2 Hoggier beefcakes on the Right side to get the 1-2 yd runs. Youd think it would give it away, but really if you have that OL, ppl will expect the 1-2 yd run to go right everyt ime, bringing in midsirection opportunities which is actually more important than saying WERE GOING OVER RIGHT GUARD AND YOU CANT STOP US mentality that often teams employ and fail at. It works in College (See Alabama vs Everyone) but at the PRO level it fails 90% of the time.

The fact that you have massive right side maulers doesn't mean your technical left side can't run block. It also is just as likely to draw the defense over and make it easier for the left side on a misdirection play. The only way it makes your plays easy to read is if you make your plays easy to read.

April 27th, 2013, 5:37 pm

Thats pretty much exactly what i said... so I think we are agreeing. :)

April 28th, 2013, 4:39 am
Profile ICQ WWW

I think you guys are underestimating how they view Fox. In pretty much every press conference I've listened to this offseason, they said he was healthy for the first time last year, and they liked what they saw from him in preseason and in practice. Like with Reiff, the opportunity to start along the line didn't present itself, but this is a kid they've had in the pipeline for a while and I think they feel comfortable plugging him in somewhere.

April 28th, 2013, 7:18 am
Reply to topic   [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next