View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 22nd, 2014, 10:30 pm

Reply to topic  [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Ansah it is 
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

Post Re: Ansah it is
rao wrote:
The Legend wrote:
rao wrote:
The Legend wrote:
Rao - i think its funny in one post you defend Ronnel Lewis and the way the organiation handles attitude problems and arrests but then say that about Moore... way to be a contrarian. anyway, Hunt maybe would better fit a 3-4 but I dont see any reason he couldnt play in a 4-3 and be pretty good. besides this current staff isnt going to be around forever.

Where is the contradiction? Lewis made one mistake, Moore has a character flaw. The two issues are nothing similar. Nice stretch.

I didn't say Hunt couldn't play in a 4-3, I said he's a bad fit and he is. You don't draft a player to play for a different staff, you draft a guy to play for your current staff. He's a bad fit and a bad pick for the Lions.

hunt isnt a bad pick if he s there in rd 3

That we can agree on. At that point its value.

looks like he went to a 4-3 team

April 26th, 2013, 9:01 pm
NFL Veteran

The Legend wrote:
rao wrote:
The Legend wrote:
rao wrote:
The Legend wrote:
Rao - i think its funny in one post you defend Ronnel Lewis and the way the organiation handles attitude problems and arrests but then say that about Moore... way to be a contrarian. anyway, Hunt maybe would better fit a 3-4 but I dont see any reason he couldnt play in a 4-3 and be pretty good. besides this current staff isnt going to be around forever.

Where is the contradiction? Lewis made one mistake, Moore has a character flaw. The two issues are nothing similar. Nice stretch.

I didn't say Hunt couldn't play in a 4-3, I said he's a bad fit and he is. You don't draft a player to play for a different staff, you draft a guy to play for your current staff. He's a bad fit and a bad pick for the Lions.

Bengals play a more conventional 4-3 and like large lanky DEs. They don't line up wide like the Lions do on both sides.

April 26th, 2013, 9:20 pm

rao wrote:
The Legend wrote:
rao wrote:
The Legend wrote:
rao wrote:
The Legend wrote:

Bengals play a more conventional 4-3 and like large lanky DEs. They don't line up wide like the Lions do on both sides.

IMO the wide 9 makes it easier for the DE to crash inside/bend bc of the wide alignment w tilted stance. the "stiff" hips (which Hunt doesnt have relative to his size) wouldnt have been an issue w the lions either. he s not playing running back or corner...

April 26th, 2013, 9:46 pm
NFL Veteran

The Legend wrote:
IMO the wide 9 makes it easier for the DE to crash inside/bend bc of the wide alignment w tilted stance. the "stiff" hips (which Hunt doesnt have relative to his size) wouldnt have been an issue w the lions either. he s not playing running back or corner...

He could do fine going to the inside on the OT from that wide but the moment he tries to go outside and bend in he will be off balance and too high to dip his shoulder under the OT. He is agile for his size but he's still awkward when changing direction and still to linear. Mike Zimmer will do well with him because he has a background with 3-4 and 4-3 defenses, he likes to use some 34 concepts with his defense and he will probably use Hunt in a lot of 5-technique. Also Hunt will only be spelling other players this year and don't forget Hunt doesn't have much more experience than Ansah but is even older.

April 26th, 2013, 10:11 pm

rao wrote:
The Legend wrote:

He could do fine going to the inside on the OT from that wide but the moment he tries to go outside and bend in he will be off balance and too high to dip his shoulder under the OT. He is agile for his size but he's still awkward when changing direction and still to linear. Mike Zimmer will do well with him because he has a background with 3-4 and 4-3 defenses, he likes to use some 34 concepts with his defense and he will probably use Hunt in a lot of 5-technique. Also Hunt will only be spelling other players this year and don't forget Hunt doesn't have much more experience than Ansah but is even older.

yes thats why i say they are similar. both have some great measurables, similar backgrounds from other countries and older, difft skill sets but both are boom or bust players

April 26th, 2013, 10:36 pm
NFL Veteran

The Legend wrote:
rao wrote:
The Legend wrote:

yes thats why i say they are similar. both have some great measurables, similar backgrounds from other countries and older, difft skill sets but both are boom or bust players

They are similar in that way, but the skill set is what is important because the Lions are missing a specific skill set from their DEs and it matches with Ziggy's. The fact that Hunt's background is so similar to Ansah and he's even 2 years older makes the idea of passing on Ansah to get Hunt in the 2nd even worse IMO. I also firmly believe Ansah will have an easier time with the Lions because the Lions can keep his reads to a minimum and just let him go after the passer, with Hunt his skill set would require him to set the edge and make more reads to be effective since he's not a pure pass rusher.

April 26th, 2013, 10:50 pm
Mr. Irrelevant

Ansah got his degree in actuarial science... I think we can put the worries over whether he'll be able to pick the game up to rest...

http://www.detroitlions.com/media-cente ... 9d84f64226

Pretty entertaining interview from him...

I was good with the pick cause I didn't really care for anyone at the top of the draft, but the more I learn about him the more at ease I am with the pick...

April 27th, 2013, 12:49 am

rao wrote:
The Legend wrote:
rao wrote:
The Legend wrote:

They are similar in that way, but the skill set is what is important because the Lions are missing a specific skill set from their DEs and it matches with Ziggy's. The fact that Hunt's background is so similar to Ansah and he's even 2 years older makes the idea of passing on Ansah to get Hunt in the 2nd even worse IMO. I also firmly believe Ansah will have an easier time with the Lions because the Lions can keep his reads to a minimum and just let him go after the passer, with Hunt his skill set would require him to set the edge and make more reads to be effective since he's not a pure pass rusher.

I agree, there is minimal learning of reads required for an end in the wide 9. but ansah does needs to learn how to use his hands and take on blocks with power. he cant just expect to run around guys and make pursuit plays like he did in college, IMO thats much more difficult to teach than reading the offense and takes many years. Kalimba Edwards, for example - never figured it out and it looks like Willie Young wont either. I love Ansah's potential as much as the next guy but in that sense this pick was a true gamble and while Schwartz says "we wouldnt take a project there," it just shows that he knows they did. (No 5 overall!)

April 27th, 2013, 8:47 am
NFL Veteran

The Legend wrote:
rao wrote:
The Legend wrote:
rao wrote:
The Legend wrote:

I agree, there is minimal learning of reads required for an end in the wide 9. but ansah does needs to learn how to use his hands and take on blocks with power. he cant just expect to run around guys and make pursuit plays like he did in college, IMO thats much more difficult to teach than reading the offense and takes many years. Kalimba Edwards, for example - never figured it out and it looks like Willie Young wont either. I love Ansah's potential as much as the next guy but in that sense this pick was a true gamble and while Schwartz says "we wouldnt take a project there," it just shows that he knows they did. (No 5 overall!)

This is another place where we differ. I think it will be much simpler to teach Ansah who likes to use his length to disrupt pass lanes to use his hands better than it will to teach a guy like Hunt to stay low and under control. Ansah already sheds pretty well and his arms are freakishly long, so as long as he stays in the play he's still a threat even while having a body on him.

One thing I like about both Hunt and Ansah is they are damn eager to learn and both seem to take every instruction to heart. I think both players should do very well and I'm hoping Ansah's elite athleticism/freakish build will make him great.

April 27th, 2013, 9:42 am

Ill just say this - Kalimba Edwards was a hard worker, disciplined, and had a lot of speed and quickness, long arms almost everything. He maybe lacked Ansah's strength but he could just never develop pass rush or disengaging moves that worked.

Also, current DL coach Kris Kocurek (if you ve been to a lions training camp practice or two) doesnt seem to be worth a dam. its at least a little encouraging that they brought in Washburn but at the same time you lose the strong leaders on that DL in KVB and Corey Williams. Suh and Fairley are good guys to play with but neither are leaders.

April 27th, 2013, 11:20 am
Murtyle wrote:
Ansah got his degree in actuarial science... I think we can put the worries over whether he'll be able to pick the game up to rest...

http://www.detroitlions.com/media-cente ... 9d84f64226

Pretty entertaining interview from him...

I was good with the pick cause I didn't really care for anyone at the top of the draft, but the more I learn about him the more at ease I am with the pick...

Uhmmm... No...

It's not his ability to UNDERSTAND the game that I'm worried about, it's his ability to APPLY that knowledge to HIS GAME that I care about. He's already said to have a "gentle nature" and he doesn't use his hands well. You think he doesn't know how to use his hands? Or is he unwilling/not aggressive enough to take it that far?

April 27th, 2013, 11:32 am
NFL Veteran

The Legend wrote:
Ill just say this - Kalimba Edwards was a hard worker, disciplined, and had a lot of speed and quickness, long arms almost everything. He maybe lacked Ansah's strength but he could just never develop pass rush or disengaging moves that worked.

Also, current DL coach Kris Kocurek (if you ve been to a lions training camp practice or two) doesnt seem to be worth a dam. its at least a little encouraging that they brought in Washburn but at the same time you lose the strong leaders on that DL in KVB and Corey Williams. Suh and Fairley are good guys to play with but neither are leaders.

To be fair Edwards was much smaller and played a lot of rush linebacker in college. He even had his best season playing OLB for the Gamecocks. He also said at one time he was fine being a back-up and even though he was a hard worker there was passion concerns about him. It's possible Ansah could get the same attitude, but he seems like he actually wants to improve his game.

Washburn is a overbearing harda$$, he will be the guy coaching the Dline even though they brought him in as an "assistant". Ansah has been said to be very obedient and his fluidity of motion tells me he has the control of his body to put anything told to him to use.

April 27th, 2013, 12:01 pm

rao wrote:
The Legend wrote:

To be fair Edwards was much smaller and played a lot of rush linebacker in college. He even had his best season playing OLB for the Gamecocks. He also said at one time he was fine being a back-up and even though he was a hard worker there was passion concerns about him. It's possible Ansah could get the same attitude, but he seems like he actually wants to improve his game.

Washburn is a overbearing harda$$, he will be the guy coaching the Dline even though they brought him in as an "assistant". Ansah has been said to be very obedient and his fluidity of motion tells me he has the control of his body to put anything told to him to use.

Kocurek is the same way but he seems out of control and isnt really teaching anything. hopefully washburn can actually teach something instead of "survive my wrath" approach of Kocurek

April 27th, 2013, 12:14 pm
Lionbacker Rehab Guru

http://walterfootball.com/draft2013DE.php

http://www.draftcountdown.com/Rankings/DE.php

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/pros ... gs/2013/DE

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl/ph ... nsive-end/

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/Pred ... t-47951821

Walter Football, Scott Wright, CBS Sports, SI, and Fox Sports all had Ansah as the best DE in the draft. (Fox did have Dion Jordan ranked higher, but I am not sure as a DE or OLB - still irrelevant as he was already off of the board.) It seems Ansah was the 'safe' pick at DE as so many football gurus thought Ansah was the no brainer pick at number 5.

April 27th, 2013, 12:17 pm
NFL Veteran

The Legend wrote:
rao wrote:
The Legend wrote:

Kocurek is the same way but he seems out of control and isnt really teaching anything. hopefully washburn can actually teach something instead of "survive my wrath" approach of Kocurek

I agree, IMO Washburn has always done great things as a Dline coach and problems came from rubbing the other staff wrong. He turned Jason Babin into a monster.

April 27th, 2013, 12:19 pm
Reply to topic   [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next