View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently July 29th, 2014, 10:59 am

Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 A Punter in the 5th. 
Post Re: A Punter in the 5th.
rao wrote:
Martin would have had the 7 highest Punt average compared to the division 1-A punters.

What's your point?

April 27th, 2013, 4:56 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

wjb21ndtown wrote:
Rodgers, Swope or Rambo should have been the pick. All would have contributed, and we have a damn punter.

If it was Locke I could have understood, but this guy was a projected UDFA. Ri-damn-diculous.

We have a punter who has been out of the league the past two years.

April 27th, 2013, 5:10 pm
thelomasbrowns wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
Rodgers, Swope or Rambo should have been the pick. All would have contributed, and we have a damn punter.

If it was Locke I could have understood, but this guy was a projected UDFA. Ri-damn-diculous.

Again, what's your point?

I'm saying we shouldn't have "reached" for a punter in the 5th round. There are going to be a ton of UDFA punters, and the guy that we drafted would likely have been one of them.

April 27th, 2013, 5:11 pm
Color Commentator - John Madden

wjb21ndtown wrote:
thelomasbrowns wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:

I'm saying we shouldn't have "reached" for a punter in the 5th round. There are going to be a ton of UDFA punters, and the guy that we drafted would likely have been one of them.

How many 5th round picks contribute to any team? Sometimes you may find a gem but that isn't likely. Maybe the Lions could have drafted him in the 7th but they saw a guy they obviously wanted and took him. Like others have said if he comes in and starts for the Lions the next 5-10 year than a late 5th round pick will be definitely worth it.

April 27th, 2013, 7:07 pm
CMWSR wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
thelomasbrowns wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:

How many 5th round picks contribute to any team? Sometimes you may find a gem but that isn't likely. Maybe the Lions could have drafted him in the 7th but they saw a guy they obviously wanted and took him. Like others have said if he comes in and starts for the Lions the next 5-10 year than a late 5th round pick will be definitely worth it.

IMO this wasn't an ordinary draft. With guys like Ellington, Rambo, Fuller, & Charles Johnson sitting there we DEFINITELY could have gotten someone that would have made a bigger impact in the 5th round, than a punter that likely would have gone undrafted. Like I said, if it was Locke I wouldn't have had a problem with it, but we reached for a bum. I hate the pick.

April 27th, 2013, 7:12 pm
Color Commentator - John Madden

wjb21ndtown wrote:
CMWSR wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
thelomasbrowns wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:

IMO this wasn't an ordinary draft. With guys like Ellington, Rambo, Fuller, & Charles Johnson sitting there we DEFINITELY could have gotten someone that would have made a bigger impact in the 5th round, than a punter that likely would have gone undrafted. Like I said, if it was Locke I wouldn't have had a problem with it, but we reached for a bum. I hate the pick.

I see what your saying I guess I'm trying to take the glass half full approach. I'll try and reserve judgement until I see if he makes the team and then what he does on the field.

April 27th, 2013, 7:20 pm
CMWSR wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
CMWSR wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
thelomasbrowns wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:

I see what your saying I guess I'm trying to take the glass half full approach. I'll try and reserve judgement until I see if he makes the team and then what he does on the field.

I get it... I expect him to make the team. Honestly, he's not a bad punter. I've seen the kid play, and App. State is kind of known for their punter/special teams and playing a field position game. I don't hate the player, I just hate who we left on the board to take him, and I don't think anyone else would have taken him prior to the 7th.

I mean, there were only two punters drafted, and we drafted one of them... You really think someone else would have taken this kid? I don't.

We could have had Ellington, or Rambo on our team for free, and still got this guy, IMO. That's what pisses me off. Bad management.

April 27th, 2013, 7:30 pm
Mr. Irrelevant

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0eYi73yg4Q

This guy can boom them... Punts and kick offs...

April 27th, 2013, 7:35 pm
National Champion

regularjoe12 wrote:
Look, it's a position of need, and if the kid is good for us for 8-10 years it will have been a damn fine LATE 5th rd pick. It wasn't sexy, but if he is who we like then I'm glad we made sure we got him. Let's not act like its a guarantee that he comes here if he were an UDFA.

This. For what was nearly a 6th round pick we got our guy. I'm fine with this pick.

April 27th, 2013, 7:54 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Just listened to some of the post-draft press conference stuff. Here's what Schwartz and Mayhew said:

-They scouted the kid and liked what they saw from him.
-The UCLA punter had been drafted a few picks before.
-Punters are usually taken in the 6th; they had a pick at the end of the 5th and so they grabbed him before someone else could.

Sounds pretty reasonable to me. WJB, have you ever heard of Occum's Razor?

April 28th, 2013, 7:47 am
thelomasbrowns wrote:
Just listened to some of the post-draft press conference stuff. Here's what Schwartz and Mayhew said:

-They scouted the kid and liked what they saw from him.
-The UCLA punter had been drafted a few picks before.
-Punters are usually taken in the 6th; they had a pick at the end of the 5th and so they grabbed him before someone else could.

Sounds pretty reasonable to me. WJB, have you ever heard of Occum's Razor?

He was one of two punters drafted in the entire draft. IMO he would have been a UDFA. I think Mayhew panicked and made the pick after Locke was drafted. There was FAR too much solid talent on the board to take this guy where we picked him. Rambo, Ellington, or a WR would have been better.

April 28th, 2013, 9:28 pm
RIP Killer

wjb21ndtown wrote:
BillySims wrote:
Mufasa wrote:
conversion02 wrote:
Yeah,because everyone knows you get starters in the 5th. Most 5th rounders are fringe players or get cut. If your 5th rounders are starting, you have a problem, unless you struck gold one out of the 10 times.

And seriously, it was the last non-comp pick in the 5th...not like it was 30 picks earlier.

We all saw what a ballhawk Rambo was in the Senior Bowl and we need safety depth. So he's got character issues based on your statement he's gonna be cut anyways, so why not take a chance on a future starter next to Groves than a punter. He would have been a 2nd or 3rd minus character issues.

And he is still there for us at pick #171.

And there is your WR wjb.
Cory Fuller Virginia Tech.

That doesn't mean it was a good decision. I highly doubt anyone would have drafted our "new punter" at all, let alone in the 5th round.

Once a player is off the board, you can't really say nobody else would have taken him. You don't know. I'm sure many are saying that the Cowboys could have gotten Travis in the second or third rounds if they hadn't taken him in the first, but there's no way of knowing that.

As I said in an earlier post...people bitched constantly last year about our punting game. The Lions did something to address that, and now people bitch about that. Some people are never happy. It's obvious the Lions wanted this guy before anybody else got him. If he turns out to suck, I'll razz them about it then. Right now, from what I've read and heard about this kid, he's got a BOOMING leg and can be used for kickoffs as well. With Akers being our kicker, having someone else handle kickoffs allows him to rest his leg for field goals.

May 2nd, 2013, 6:22 pm
m2karateman wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
BillySims wrote:
Mufasa wrote:
conversion02 wrote:
Yeah,because everyone knows you get starters in the 5th. Most 5th rounders are fringe players or get cut. If your 5th rounders are starting, you have a problem, unless you struck gold one out of the 10 times.

And seriously, it was the last non-comp pick in the 5th...not like it was 30 picks earlier.

We all saw what a ballhawk Rambo was in the Senior Bowl and we need safety depth. So he's got character issues based on your statement he's gonna be cut anyways, so why not take a chance on a future starter next to Groves than a punter. He would have been a 2nd or 3rd minus character issues.

That doesn't mean it was a good decision. I highly doubt anyone would have drafted our "new punter" at all, let alone in the 5th round.

Once a player is off the board, you can't really say nobody else would have taken him. You don't know. I'm sure many are saying that the Cowboys could have gotten Travis in the second or third rounds if they hadn't taken him in the first, but there's no way of knowing that.

As I said in an earlier post...people bitched constantly last year about our punting game. The Lions did something to address that, and now people bitch about that. Some people are never happy. It's obvious the Lions wanted this guy before anybody else got him. If he turns out to suck, I'll razz them about it then. Right now, from what I've read and heard about this kid, he's got a BOOMING leg and can be used for kickoffs as well. With Akers being our kicker, having someone else handle kickoffs allows him to rest his leg for field goals.

My bitch is this... Our special teams sucked more because of our lack of depth at WR, CB, S, FS, and LB... We didn't have trouble getting the ball down the field so much as we had trouble TACKLING the guy once we got the ball down there.

We left players like Kenny Stills, Rambo, and Ellis on the board to take a punter, a freaking PUNTER, that we could have addressed later, even if not with the same person.

I don't buy that anyone was disappointed that we took him, and no other punter was close to his skillset. Wing was still on the board, and yes he has some party/character concerns, but he was probably the 2nd best punter in the draft. I don't buy that a team wouldn't have picked him up if they had planned on taking a punter and we "took their guy."

May 2nd, 2013, 6:38 pm
NFL Veteran

wjb21ndtown wrote:
m2karateman wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
BillySims wrote:
Mufasa wrote:
conversion02 wrote:

My bitch is this... Our special teams sucked more because of our lack of depth at WR, CB, S, FS, and LB... We didn't have trouble getting the ball down the field so much as we had trouble TACKLING the guy once we got the ball down there.

We left players like Kenny Stills, Rambo, and Ellis on the board to take a punter, a freaking PUNTER, that we could have addressed later, even if not with the same person.

I don't buy that anyone was disappointed that we took him, and no other punter was close to his skillset. Wing was still on the board, and yes he has some party/character concerns, but he was probably the 2nd best punter in the draft. I don't buy that a team wouldn't have picked him up if they had planned on taking a punter and we "took their guy."

I don't disagree with your other points, but if your depth at 5 different positions is killing your special teams coverage wouldn't the best course of action be to get a guy that can kick it out the end zone and get more hang time to get more fair catches?

May 2nd, 2013, 7:06 pm
rao wrote:
I don't disagree with your other points, but if your depth at 5 different positions is killing your special teams coverage wouldn't the best course of action be to get a guy that can kick it out the end zone and get more hang time to get more fair catches?

No, it's tackling that is our issue. We need gunners and a special team ace that darts through blockers and makes the tackle.

May 2nd, 2013, 7:09 pm
Reply to topic   [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next