View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently August 29th, 2014, 8:21 pm



Reply to topic  [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Ansah it is 
Author Message
Mr. Irrelevant

Joined: April 16th, 2005, 3:23 pm
Posts: 941
Location: Hollywood, FL
Post Re: Ansah it is
wjb21ndtown wrote:
rao wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
Murtyle wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
Murtyle wrote:
Ansah got his degree in actuarial science... I think we can put the worries over whether he'll be able to pick the game up to rest...

http://www.detroitlions.com/media-cente ... 9d84f64226

Pretty entertaining interview from him...

I was good with the pick cause I didn't really care for anyone at the top of the draft, but the more I learn about him the more at ease I am with the pick...


Uhmmm... No...

It's not his ability to UNDERSTAND the game that I'm worried about, it's his ability to APPLY that knowledge to HIS GAME that I care about. He's already said to have a "gentle nature" and he doesn't use his hands well. You think he doesn't know how to use his hands? Or is he unwilling/not aggressive enough to take it that far?


He gets off of blocks well... He struggled or seemed to struggle in 2 places... When he was double teamed and when they put him at DT... Neither of those scenarios are likely to happen much here...

How could one not be aggressive enough to use his hands to get past a blocker, but aggressive enough to make a tackle? I don't get that...


Really? You don't understand that you can not be aggressive and still make a tackle?


His Mother called him gentle and his former coach said it about his off field demeanor. His old coach also said he was ferocious on the field. He'll be fine.


To me he looks slow to get off of the ball, and tentative to engage with the OL. I don't see that mean nasty streak in him.


Do you know the defensive scheme BYU was running?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AF1SxnL9gOE

He was the fastest tested...


April 27th, 2013, 5:13 pm
Profile
Mr. Irrelevant

Joined: April 16th, 2005, 3:23 pm
Posts: 941
Location: Hollywood, FL
Post Re: Ansah it is
wjb21ndtown wrote:
Murtyle wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
Murtyle wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
Murtyle wrote:
Ansah got his degree in actuarial science... I think we can put the worries over whether he'll be able to pick the game up to rest...

http://www.detroitlions.com/media-cente ... 9d84f64226

Pretty entertaining interview from him...

I was good with the pick cause I didn't really care for anyone at the top of the draft, but the more I learn about him the more at ease I am with the pick...


Uhmmm... No...

It's not his ability to UNDERSTAND the game that I'm worried about, it's his ability to APPLY that knowledge to HIS GAME that I care about. He's already said to have a "gentle nature" and he doesn't use his hands well. You think he doesn't know how to use his hands? Or is he unwilling/not aggressive enough to take it that far?


He gets off of blocks well... He struggled or seemed to struggle in 2 places... When he was double teamed and when they put him at DT... Neither of those scenarios are likely to happen much here...

How could one not be aggressive enough to use his hands to get past a blocker, but aggressive enough to make a tackle? I don't get that...


Really? You don't understand that you can not be aggressive and still make a tackle?


Which is a more violent act? Tackling or using your hands to get past an offensive lineman? If he's aggressive enough to tackle... He's aggressive enough to do an outside swat...


I don't agree that tackling is a "more violent act," and I don't think you have to be "aggressive" to make a tackle. It's part of the job.


Worry away dude... I don't know what to tell you...


April 27th, 2013, 5:15 pm
Profile
Post Re: Ansah it is
I'm not "worried" it doesn't effect me at all if this guy is a huge bust. I already said I didn't mind the pick, but would have preferred Mingo if we were going to go DE. I would have preferred to trade down and take Cooper or Trufant. I don't like the idea of drafting a "project" in the first round, especially at #5.


April 27th, 2013, 5:18 pm
NFL Veteran

Joined: November 28th, 2007, 12:50 pm
Posts: 1350
Location: Newport Beach, Ca
Post Re: Ansah it is
wjb21ndtown wrote:
I'm not "worried" it doesn't effect me at all if this guy is a huge bust. I already said I didn't mind the pick, but would have preferred Mingo if we were going to go DE. I would have preferred to trade down and take Cooper or Trufant. I don't like the idea of drafting a "project" in the first round, especially at #5.


Mingo would have been just as much of a project to get him to DE size. He wouldn't be on the field for all 3 downs unless they used him as an OLB for the first 2.


April 27th, 2013, 5:22 pm
Profile
Post Re: Ansah it is
rao wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
I'm not "worried" it doesn't effect me at all if this guy is a huge bust. I already said I didn't mind the pick, but would have preferred Mingo if we were going to go DE. I would have preferred to trade down and take Cooper or Trufant. I don't like the idea of drafting a "project" in the first round, especially at #5.


Mingo would have been just as much of a project to get him to DE size. He wouldn't be on the field for all 3 downs unless they used him as an OLB for the first 2.


Yea, we had that discussion, I believe earlier in this very thread. I just feel like it's easier and safer to develop someone's body over developing their "nature" and their game.


April 27th, 2013, 5:26 pm
NFL Veteran

Joined: November 28th, 2007, 12:50 pm
Posts: 1350
Location: Newport Beach, Ca
Post Re: Ansah it is
wjb21ndtown wrote:
rao wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
I'm not "worried" it doesn't effect me at all if this guy is a huge bust. I already said I didn't mind the pick, but would have preferred Mingo if we were going to go DE. I would have preferred to trade down and take Cooper or Trufant. I don't like the idea of drafting a "project" in the first round, especially at #5.


Mingo would have been just as much of a project to get him to DE size. He wouldn't be on the field for all 3 downs unless they used him as an OLB for the first 2.


Yea, we had that discussion, I believe earlier in this very thread. I just feel like it's easier and safer to develop someone's body over developing their "nature" and their game.


Ansah could at least be on the field while he's learning.


April 27th, 2013, 5:30 pm
Profile
Post Re: Ansah it is
rao wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
rao wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
I'm not "worried" it doesn't effect me at all if this guy is a huge bust. I already said I didn't mind the pick, but would have preferred Mingo if we were going to go DE. I would have preferred to trade down and take Cooper or Trufant. I don't like the idea of drafting a "project" in the first round, especially at #5.


Mingo would have been just as much of a project to get him to DE size. He wouldn't be on the field for all 3 downs unless they used him as an OLB for the first 2.


Yea, we had that discussion, I believe earlier in this very thread. I just feel like it's easier and safer to develop someone's body over developing their "nature" and their game.


Ansah could at least be on the field while he's learning.


That's true, I just think he has a bigger potential to bust.


April 27th, 2013, 5:34 pm
NFL Veteran

Joined: November 28th, 2007, 12:50 pm
Posts: 1350
Location: Newport Beach, Ca
Post Re: Ansah it is
wjb21ndtown wrote:
rao wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
rao wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
I'm not "worried" it doesn't effect me at all if this guy is a huge bust. I already said I didn't mind the pick, but would have preferred Mingo if we were going to go DE. I would have preferred to trade down and take Cooper or Trufant. I don't like the idea of drafting a "project" in the first round, especially at #5.


Mingo would have been just as much of a project to get him to DE size. He wouldn't be on the field for all 3 downs unless they used him as an OLB for the first 2.


Yea, we had that discussion, I believe earlier in this very thread. I just feel like it's easier and safer to develop someone's body over developing their "nature" and their game.


Ansah could at least be on the field while he's learning.


That's true, I just think he has a bigger potential to bust.


I think if both Mingo and Ansah were on the Lions the potential for a bust would be higher for Mingo, but in their current situations Mingo is safer.


April 27th, 2013, 5:50 pm
Profile
Lionbacker Rehab Guru
User avatar

Joined: January 26th, 2006, 9:08 pm
Posts: 1194
Post Re: Ansah it is
I hate to say this, as I like the pick, but this discussion reminds me of when Joe Dumars took Darko Milisec over Carmelo Anthony, Chris Bosh or Dwayne Wade. If Darko had worked out, his upside was huge. Unfortunately we know the rest of that story.

_________________
01/21/14:Blueskies may emote like a 14 year old girl, but he had the stones to take a bet no other Lionbacker would take. For that he has my total admiration.

Blueskies is my hero. I worship the ground he walks on.


April 27th, 2013, 9:28 pm
Profile
NFL Veteran

Joined: November 28th, 2007, 12:50 pm
Posts: 1350
Location: Newport Beach, Ca
Post Re: Ansah it is
TruckinMack wrote:
I hate to say this, as I like the pick, but this discussion reminds me of when Joe Dumars took Darko Milisec over Carmelo Anthony, Chris Bosh or Dwayne Wade. If Darko had worked out, his upside was huge. Unfortunately we know the rest of that story.


Thats a terrible comparison. There wasn't a Carmelo Anthony, Chris Bosh, or Dwayne Wade level talents for the Lions to draft at their spot. Darko was an unknown commodity in a draft full of known proven talent. Ansah was an unknown surrounded by unknowns. Dumars went for the tre when an uncontested layup would have won the game.


April 27th, 2013, 11:17 pm
Profile
Div 1 - Starter

Joined: December 13th, 2005, 2:09 pm
Posts: 527
Post Re: Ansah it is
I guess the closest pick I can compare Ansah to is Cliff Avril.

No, Avril wasn't a top-five pick, and wasn't even picked in the first round. But Avril was also a bit of a "project" in that he hadn't played much DE, and wasn't expected to do much more than be a threat on 3rd down.

Ansah is bigger, heavier, and faster than Avril was when Avril was drafted. Yes, he's a top-five pick but if you can find ONE mock draft that had Ansah falling out of the first round, I'll be more than amazed. I don't know if Ansah would have been available later in the draft, but I refuse to believe the Lions weren't trying to either move up or down on Thursday, especially after the big three LT's disappeared right away.

I'll concede that Ansah might not be all that right away, but I think the Lions had to stay true to their draft board if they couldn't trade back. I also think Ansah is going to show some steady improvement and will by later in the season be a real terror.

_________________
If God isn't a Lions fan, then why is the sky Honolulu Blue?


April 28th, 2013, 7:34 pm
Profile
Modmin Dude
User avatar

Joined: December 31st, 2004, 9:55 am
Posts: 11968
Post Re: Ansah it is
This could be a good thing:
Quote:
Lions' Ziggy Ansah a favorite to win Defensive Rookie of Year, oddsmakers say
May 1, 2013

The last time the Detroit Lions picked a defender in the top 10 of the NFL draft, he won Defense Rookie of the Year.

That was Ndamukong Suh in 2010. Can Ziggy Ansah, the Lions’ No. 5 overall selection this year, repeat that honor?

He was pegged as an 8-to-1 favorite to do so, joining Pittsburgh Steelers pass-rusher Jarvis Jones, who was picked at No. 17 overall. Following them at 12-to-1 odds are the Baltimore Ravens’ Matt Elam, The Carolina Panthers’ Star Lotulelei and the Denver Broncos’ Sylvester Williams.

The best bet actually appears to be “player not listed,” which has 13-to-2 odds.

Other than Suh, two other Lions won Defensive Rookie of the Year: Lem Barney in 1967 and A.J. Baker in 1978.

Also, online sportsbook Bovada has pegged the over/under on Ansah sacks in 2013 at 4.5, which is what he totaled last season at BYU.

Columnist Jeff Seidel will answer your questions about all things Detroit sports in a live chat at 11 a.m. Thursday at freep.com/sports. Submit early questions here.

http://www.freep.com/article/20130501/S ... -oddsmaker
Can someone refresh my memory, wasn't Suh favored post-draft as well?

_________________
Quote:
Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right....


May 1st, 2013, 3:56 pm
Profile
NFL Veteran

Joined: November 28th, 2007, 12:50 pm
Posts: 1350
Location: Newport Beach, Ca
Post Re: Ansah it is
TheRealWags wrote:
This could be a good thing:
Quote:
Lions' Ziggy Ansah a favorite to win Defensive Rookie of Year, oddsmakers say
May 1, 2013

The last time the Detroit Lions picked a defender in the top 10 of the NFL draft, he won Defense Rookie of the Year.

That was Ndamukong Suh in 2010. Can Ziggy Ansah, the Lions’ No. 5 overall selection this year, repeat that honor?

He was pegged as an 8-to-1 favorite to do so, joining Pittsburgh Steelers pass-rusher Jarvis Jones, who was picked at No. 17 overall. Following them at 12-to-1 odds are the Baltimore Ravens’ Matt Elam, The Carolina Panthers’ Star Lotulelei and the Denver Broncos’ Sylvester Williams.

The best bet actually appears to be “player not listed,” which has 13-to-2 odds.

Other than Suh, two other Lions won Defensive Rookie of the Year: Lem Barney in 1967 and A.J. Baker in 1978.

Also, online sportsbook Bovada has pegged the over/under on Ansah sacks in 2013 at 4.5, which is what he totaled last season at BYU.

Columnist Jeff Seidel will answer your questions about all things Detroit sports in a live chat at 11 a.m. Thursday at freep.com/sports. Submit early questions here.

http://www.freep.com/article/20130501/S ... -oddsmaker
Can someone refresh my memory, wasn't Suh favored post-draft as well?


Are the "Sharks" taking the bet? That's what I want to know.


May 1st, 2013, 4:03 pm
Profile
Online
Team MVP
User avatar

Joined: February 20th, 2007, 10:51 pm
Posts: 3330
Location: Saginaw, MI
Post Re: Ansah it is
JL wrote:
I guess the closest pick I can compare Ansah to is Cliff Avril.

No, Avril wasn't a top-five pick, and wasn't even picked in the first round. But Avril was also a bit of a "project" in that he hadn't played much DE, and wasn't expected to do much more than be a threat on 3rd down.

Ansah is bigger, heavier, and faster than Avril was when Avril was drafted. Yes, he's a top-five pick but if you can find ONE mock draft that had Ansah falling out of the first round, I'll be more than amazed. I don't know if Ansah would have been available later in the draft, but I refuse to believe the Lions weren't trying to either move up or down on Thursday, especially after the big three LT's disappeared right away.

I'll concede that Ansah might not be all that right away, but I think the Lions had to stay true to their draft board if they couldn't trade back. I also think Ansah is going to show some steady improvement and will by later in the season be a real terror.


Well said.

Ill NEVER be the one to say so and so will be good JUST because he is a first round pick. I really do believe, however, Ansah will be a very good player. I really believe that the coaching staff will be successful at teaching him, and though it might take time, I think Ansah will be a "real terror", as JL said. Im not saying that JUST because Ansah is big, fast, strong, and instinctive, but he is just that....big..strong..fast..and instinctive. And yes, inexperienced. I understand. But I think this coaching staff, paired with the DTs we have, will make him reach his potential. I am very excited for training camp to start.

Whats also very nice is that this guy has ZERO off the field troubles. It has been said time and time again that he is very willing to learn and get better, and that he is always trying to please the coaching staff with his play and improvements.

I hope with the addition of Ansah that this D-line can get back to being a "real" threat.

_________________
April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.


Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011


May 1st, 2013, 4:37 pm
Profile
Mr. Irrelevant
User avatar

Joined: February 28th, 2007, 12:13 pm
Posts: 961
Post Re: Ansah it is
TheRealWags wrote:
This could be a good thing:
Quote:
Lions' Ziggy Ansah a favorite to win Defensive Rookie of Year, oddsmakers say
May 1, 2013

The last time the Detroit Lions picked a defender in the top 10 of the NFL draft, he won Defense Rookie of the Year.

That was Ndamukong Suh in 2010. Can Ziggy Ansah, the Lions’ No. 5 overall selection this year, repeat that honor?

He was pegged as an 8-to-1 favorite to do so, joining Pittsburgh Steelers pass-rusher Jarvis Jones, who was picked at No. 17 overall. Following them at 12-to-1 odds are the Baltimore Ravens’ Matt Elam, The Carolina Panthers’ Star Lotulelei and the Denver Broncos’ Sylvester Williams.

The best bet actually appears to be “player not listed,” which has 13-to-2 odds.

Other than Suh, two other Lions won Defensive Rookie of the Year: Lem Barney in 1967 and A.J. Baker in 1978.

Also, online sportsbook Bovada has pegged the over/under on Ansah sacks in 2013 at 4.5, which is what he totaled last season at BYU.

Columnist Jeff Seidel will answer your questions about all things Detroit sports in a live chat at 11 a.m. Thursday at freep.com/sports. Submit early questions here.

http://www.freep.com/article/20130501/S ... -oddsmaker
Can someone refresh my memory, wasn't Suh favored post-draft as well?


How do they even make odds on that? Also, if he only gets 4.5 sacks this year, he should probably not be getting the DROY lol. That just seems poopy

_________________
If you think education is tough, try being stoopid.


May 1st, 2013, 9:12 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Hystrix and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.