View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 19th, 2014, 1:47 am

Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 7th Rd Pick @ #211 - Michael Williams , TE Alabama 
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Post 7th Rd Pick @ #211 - Michael Williams , TE Alabama
who?

EDIT: Poor Mans Pettigrew - 6'5" - 278lbs - NFL.com says 5.18 & 5.21 40 time, ESPN has 4.82. Its a factual number how can both sites report different poop on every player, lol.

Can Apparently Block and Catch, but is Slow. Id think Primarily a BLocker to eventually replace Heller as TE#3.

NFL.com Profile wrote:
Overview

Scouts aren’t going to confuse Williams with former Crimson Tide receiver-turned-Pro Football Hall of Fame tight end Ozzie Newsome –- but his receiving and blocking ability might remind them of Howard Cross, another Tide alum who started for the New York Giants for most of the 1990s.

Williams caught 16 passes for 191 yards and two touchdowns as a full-time starter (12 of 13 games played) for Alabama on its way to a BCS title in 2011, eclipsing his output from his previous two seasons –- though he did play a big role in those campaigns.

As a redshirt freshman, he played in every game of the team’s BCS Championship run, starting three games despite catching just three passes for 29 yards because of his ability to move defenders. In 2010 his receiving production increased (8-100, TD) while he again played in every games, starting 11, for the Tide.

During Alabama's run to the 2012 national championship, Williams caught 24 passes for 183 yards and four touchdowns. At Alabama's pro day, Williams ran the 40-yard dash in 5.16 and 5.21 seconds. He had a 25 1/2-inch vertical jump and an 8-foot-1 broad jump. He did the short shuttle in 4.87 seconds and the three-cone drill in 8.10 seconds.

Analysis

Strengths - Flashes the hands and athletic ability to high-point passes over defenders, and is tough enough to work in traffic over the middle. Biggest contributions are as a run blocker, seals defensive ends inside on off-tackle plays in regular two tight end sets by consistently crashing the edge. Also effective moving his feet while engaged to get angle on backside rushers, especially when effectively using his strong hands.

Weaknesses - Straight-line speed might prove to be an issue; slow coming out of his stance and quite heavy-legged when lumbering down the field. Won’t elude or run away from defenders in his proximity after the catch. Quicker edge rushers give him troubles at times, as he doesn’t maintain his bend and will stop his feet instead of mirroring; eventually bends at the waist or is left behind by ends on their way to the quarterback. Used at H-back at times but lacks the flexibility to cut down or adjust to targets in space. Could get his hands inside more consistently when blocking to control his man.

NFL Comparison - Matt Spaeth

Bottom Line - Williams looks like a lean offensive tackle, and often blocks like one; he might have the speed of a lineman, as well, but his solid receiving hands and red zone presence will virtually guarentee that he sticks in the NFL for a very long time as a team's second tight end.

Last edited by DJ-B on April 27th, 2013, 5:52 pm, edited 3 times in total.

April 27th, 2013, 5:43 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
All State

Post Re: 7th Rd Pick @ #211 - Michael Williams , TE Alabama
good pick.

April 27th, 2013, 5:44 pm
Veteran General Manager

wjb will be happy that we can now run Pettigrew out of town. LOL.

April 27th, 2013, 5:46 pm
Detroit_LIons wrote:
good pick.

I agree

April 27th, 2013, 5:47 pm
Veteran General Manager

wjb21ndtown wrote:
Detroit_LIons wrote:
good pick.

I agree

Wow he likes 1. LOL Miracles really do happen!

April 27th, 2013, 5:48 pm
1st Round Pick

I like the pick. He will be effective in jumbo packages and maybe a sneaky receiver on the goal line

April 27th, 2013, 5:49 pm

ESPN Profile wrote:

Overall Football Traits

Production - 3 - 2008: Redshirt 2009: (14/3)-3-29-9.7-0 2010: (13/11)-8-100-12.5-1 2011: (13/13)-16-191-11.9-2 2012: (14/14)-24-183-7.6-4

Height-Weight-Speed - 2 - Above average height and bulk. Estimated top-end speed is slightly below average. Arm length is slightly below average (32.6) but above average hand size (10.1) for the position.

Durability - 1 - Appeared 54 SEC games with 41 starts and hasn't sustained any serious injuries to the best of our knowledge.

Intangibles - 2 - Member of three national championship games. Winner of Alabama's Pat Trammell Award in 2012. Moved from outside linebacker to tight end before redshirt freshman season. Graduated in May, 2012.

1 = Exceptional2 = Above average3 = Average4 = Below average5 = Marginal

Tight End Specific Traits

Separation Skills - 4 - Adequate initial quickness and subtle route running savvy. Flashes effective head fakes for example but struggles to separate from man coverage at SEC level and going to have an even tougher time at the NFL level. Not sudden enough to shake defenders at top of stem. Choppy in and out of breaks. Big target that can locate and settle in pockets working against zone looks.

Ball Skills - 3 - Big hands and can snatch the ball out of the air. Quick reflexes on short strikes. Flashes ability to elevate and make acrobatic catch but inconsistent in this area. Can be more aggressive and stronger fighting for 50-50 balls. Body catches at times. Passes thrown above head give him problems. Inconsistent adjusting to passes thrown outside frame.

Big Play Ability - 4 - Top-end speed is below average and doesn't project as a vertical threat at the next level. Powerful runner that can break open-field arm tackles but not a threat after the catch. Marginal elusiveness and burst. Doesn't have breakaway speed.

Competitiveness - 3 - Good effort for four quarters. Takes pride in preparation and film study. Had ball wrestled out of hands by DS Eric Reid inside 5-yardline in the 4th QTR of 2011 regular season LSU game. Physical blocker flashes a mean streak but not a brawler and can be more aggressive at second level.

Blocking - 2 - Adequate first-step quickness and good hand placement. Flashes the ability to sustain and an above average power base when technique is sound but inconsistent pad level and can lean into defenders. Top-heavy and slips off some blocks. Takes sounds angles and shows good body control as a second level blocker but average athlete with limitations in space. Problems sliding and keeping defenders in front of him in pass protection. Impressive awareness both as a run blocker and in pass pro. Regularly points out assignments pre snap.

Last edited by DJ-B on April 27th, 2013, 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

April 27th, 2013, 5:50 pm
Profile ICQ WWW

rao wrote:
I like the pick. He will be effective in jumbo packages and maybe a sneaky receiver on the goal line

fudge if he can catch those 5 yd TDs thast Pett drops (seeming 75% of the time when they hit him on the hands) that would be enough for me.

As to the Jumbo Package, I think they jsut replaced Reiffs position with this guy since Reiff will be LT.

Last edited by DJ-B on April 27th, 2013, 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

April 27th, 2013, 5:51 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
BillySims wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
Detroit_LIons wrote:
good pick.

I agree

Wow he likes 1. LOL Miracles really do happen!

There have only been two picks this whole draft that I hated, and I think they were huge errors. The punter was horrible, the RB/KR was just a wasted pick. We could have gotten someone with some talent with that 5th that we blew on a P.

April 27th, 2013, 5:51 pm
1st Round Pick

DJ-B wrote:
rao wrote:

fudge if he can catch those 5 yd TDs thast Pett drops (seeming 75% of the time when they hit him on the hands) that would be enough for me.

As to the Jumbo Package, I think they jsut replaced Reiffs position with this guy since Reiff will be LT.

It's always possible that he could just get bigger and convert to a tackle, doesn't happen often in the NFL like it does in college, but you never know.

April 27th, 2013, 5:58 pm
League MVP

Williams scouting reports says something about "head fakes," thought I was on a basketball site for a minute

April 27th, 2013, 5:58 pm
League MVP

rao wrote:
DJ-B wrote:
rao wrote:

It's always possible that he could just get bigger and convert to a tackle, doesn't happen often in the NFL like it does in college, but you never know.

maybe but his athleticism is marginal, he has a 25 inch vertical and terrible shuttle times, etc. im not sure he could handle the extra weight all that well. if he cant i have no problem with him dropping and fumbling the same balls as pettigrew but for less money and as a better blocker

April 27th, 2013, 6:00 pm
1st Round Pick

Yeah he is a pretty bad athlete for an NFL guy. He seems like he will have a long career as a 3rd TE though, just does the dirty work really well.

April 27th, 2013, 6:06 pm
Red Shirt Freshman

If he can help our running game and if that were all he could do, that would be great.

April 27th, 2013, 6:28 pm
Team MVP

I like the pick. Big guy, could be big in red zone. Hows his hands, anyone know?

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

April 27th, 2013, 9:22 pm
Reply to topic   [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next