View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently July 30th, 2014, 1:10 am



Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 Projected Roster and Remaining Needs post draft 
Author Message
League MVP

Joined: February 11th, 2005, 3:01 pm
Posts: 3530
Location: WSU
Post Projected Roster and Remaining Needs post draft
QB - Stafford/Hill
HB - Bush/Leshoure/Bell/Riddick
TE - Pettigrew/Scheffler/Williams
WR - Johnson/Burleson/Broyles/Thomas/Fuller
OT - Reiff/Hilliard/Fox
OG - Sims/Warford/Austin
C - Raiola/Nagy

P - Martin
K - Akers
LS - Muhlbach

DE - Jones/Ansah/Young/Lewis/Taylor
DT - Suh/Fairley/Mosley
MLB - Tulloch/T. Lewis
OLB - Levy/Whitehead/Palmer/Hepburn
CB - Houston/Slay/Bentley/Green/Greenwood/
S - Quinn/Delmas/Carey/Spievey/Wendling

Needs: Still need a No 2 WR, a more well defined KR, maybe another HBack type, rotational DT, starting outside LB, possibly a K

Outlook - this could be a winning team but it would require some surprises. The offensive line needs to gel quickly. Looks like 3 first year starters on the OL possibly more. Only Warford at RG projects to be an immediate upgrade. Stafford needs to be protected to have a shot at getting it to Calvin and Reggie Bush. Lots of ifs with the remaining targets - Pettigrew and Scheffler need to be better and at least one of Burleson and Broyles need to come back from injury. Thomas needs to show that he was just a tad bit of a slow learner last year rather than totally washed up at a young age. Defensively, Washburn needs to milk Suh and Fairley to there max potential and get Ansah to make some impact. Jones should hold up though I doubt he ll be stellar. Levy needs to build on a a strong 2012 and maybe 2-3 candidates to emerge as the starting OLB. Secondary should be much better unless injuries hit again.

Prediction: 6-10, 4th in NFC N


April 28th, 2013, 1:04 am
Profile
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)
User avatar

Joined: August 24th, 2010, 9:54 pm
Posts: 2249
Post Re: Projected Roster and Remaining Needs post draft
Some thoughts:

-Think Fuller could be our return guy. Also, a guy that people were excited about last year but who clearly wasn't ready was Patrick Edwards. Super fast and very productive in college--maybe the light will come on for him and he can contribute in some way.
-It is daunting to start so fresh on the O-line, but at least most of the guys have been in our system for a bit. Hell, if Nagy's healthy, I'd rather he start at Center than Dom. If you're going to do a revamp, you might as well go all the way. You get those guys playing together throughout the offseason and the preseason and they should be in decent shape when the season starts.
-Looks like barring an injury Williams will be the HBack.
-I'd go young at the DT back up position--we've had some success developing guys in that role.
-I think the true #2 WR spot will go unfilled for another year. Look for more screens and short passes (hopefully with a lot of yards after the catch) with guys like Bush, Burleson, and Broyles. Don't think anybody is going to be 'taking the top off the defense' this year.
-TEs--I hope the fact that we have a true TE coach (the previous guy was more a skill position coach) will have a beneficial effect. Also, Pett and Scheff are entering big seasons in terms of their futures--hopefully that will motivate them to eliminate the stupid mistakes that plagued them last year.
-DEs--Well, we definitely drafted some athletic freaks. We're definitely in a better position than we were a few days ago, but we'll see how these guys develop. If they do, look out.

As always, the performance of the offensive and defensive lines (and injuries) will determine the fate of our season. Not willing to make a prediction because there are so many unknowns, but I'd say the range is anywhere from 6 to 11 wins. Also, there's no way we finish last in the North with the slow-motion trainwreck currently happening in Chicago. You should hear how people are freaking out here about the coach, the draft, etc.--as a Lions fan, I love it.

_________________
Driver of the Jim Caldwell bandwagon. Climb aboard.


April 28th, 2013, 8:12 am
Profile
League MVP

Joined: February 11th, 2005, 3:01 pm
Posts: 3530
Location: WSU
Post Re: Projected Roster and Remaining Needs post draft
Some thoughts:

Quote:
-Think Fuller could be our return guy. Also, a guy that people were excited about last year but who clearly wasn't ready was Patrick Edwards. Super fast and very productive in college--maybe the light will come on for him and he can contribute in some way


I think Fuller could be decent Kick Return option. Edwards struggles to catch the punts and last years ST coach Crossman didnt trust him, maybe the new ST coach represents a fresh start. Im not sure we have a punt returner on our team with ability to break a return but still someone who can just run up and fair catch the punt reliably or let it bounce into the end zone (without any attempt to actually return the punts) would be a significant upgrade over the last two season's of Stefan Logan's run. He fielded balls in the wrong spot of the field and would let balls bounce, roll at the wrong times - he was just awful and his return ability had declined so far that he couldnt make up for the yards he lost us with the bad decisions. Broyles could do it but another injury would be catastrophic to his development. I think you have to ask Mike Thomas to step it up. I like Edwards as a slot receiver but it seems we have too many of them now.

Quote:
-It is daunting to start so fresh on the O-line, but at least most of the guys have been in our system for a bit. Hell, if Nagy's healthy, I'd rather he start at Center than Dom. If you're going to do a revamp, you might as well go all the way. You get those guys playing together throughout the offseason and the preseason and they should be in decent shape when the season starts.


I dont have a problem with Dom except for what he did in the TEN game last season. Nagy could be good but just getting through training camp healthy would be a major accomplishment for him given his ridiculous history of always being injured. Sims should be about the same and thats a good thing, Warford should be in most ways an upgrade over Peterman even early on. The lowest the floor can go at RT is Hilliard, he wont be dominant the way Cherilus was at times in the run game but there should be less SNAFUs with him. Fox is the wild card, is he agile enough where he could play LT? Does he have enough power to play RT? I think Reiff could be a great RT but he struggled on the left side and maybe needs to develop into that role if thrust into it. He could be better but its always worrisome when you have a pass heavy scheme, a QB who lacks mobility, and uncertainty at LT.

Quote:
-Looks like barring an injury Williams will be the HBack.


I think so. At minimum he should be a blocking TE in a doubletight formation that could sneak into a few red zone or short yardage targets as well. He has good hands, despite no speed and agility.

Quote:
-I'd go young at the DT back up position--we've had some success developing guys in that role.


I would but where are they going to find a prospect? The draft is over, maybe somebody will be cut but it will be hard to find a young undrafted player that is able to contribute as part of a rotation.

Quote:
-I think the true #2 WR spot will go unfilled for another year. Look for more screens and short passes (hopefully with a lot of yards after the catch) with guys like Bush, Burleson, and Broyles. Don't think anybody is going to be 'taking the top off the defense' this year.


I agree and thats why I think the Warford pick was a little strange for the Lions, I dont see him as getting downfield or to the sideline all that effectively. He should be good for traditional run plays more so than zone runs, but that would seem to favor Bell/Leshoure rather than Bush.

Quote:
-TEs--I hope the fact that we have a true TE coach (the previous guy was more a skill position coach) will have a beneficial effect. Also, Pett and Scheff are entering big seasons in terms of their futures--hopefully that will motivate them to eliminate the stupid mistakes that plagued them last year.


LT is the make or break position for us. If Reiff can handle it we are ahead of the game and will forget that no tackle fell to us in 2013. Without a No 2 WR, Pettigrew needs to be reliable and a breakout season by him could be the difference bw Stafford's 2013 looking more like 2011 rather than 2012.

Quote:
-DEs--Well, we definitely drafted some athletic freaks. We're definitely in a better position than we were a few days ago, but we'll see how these guys develop. If they do, look out.


agree

Quote:
As always, the performance of the offensive and defensive lines (and injuries) will determine the fate of our season. Not willing to make a prediction because there are so many unknowns, but I'd say the range is anywhere from 6 to 11 wins. Also, there's no way we finish last in the North with the slow-motion trainwreck currently happening in Chicago. You should hear how people are freaking out here about the coach, the draft, etc.--as a Lions fan, I love it.


i could see cutler having a meltdown and them moving to a new QB later on but im not willing to bank on it yet. chicago fans in general arent very knowledgable about sports - just bc something is difft than previous regimes doesnt make things worse.


April 28th, 2013, 9:03 am
Profile
NFL Veteran

Joined: November 28th, 2007, 12:50 pm
Posts: 1333
Location: Newport Beach, Ca
Post Re: Projected Roster and Remaining Needs post draft
Legend - Nagy doesn't have a ridiculous injury history. He injured his ankle which put him on IR his first year and then reinjured that same ankle in camp the following year trying to come back. Nagy is 308lbs and ankle injuries are the hardest thing for olinemen to comeback from. He's had an extended time to rest and rehab his high ankle sprain, so he should come back fine. The real question with him is if he truly can play. He was a spot starter at Wisconsin, a 7th round pick, and only made 4 starts with the Cowboys who were already shaky at center. It's possible he just can't play at the NFL level well enough to take over for Dom.

I think you both should slow down on how bad the Bears will be. Trestman has helped teams and QBs put up their best offensive seasons pretty much every where he has gone. The changes he brings to their offense and defense may actually be even more effective in his first year because there won't be enough tape on them until the 2nd quarter of the season.


April 28th, 2013, 10:11 am
Profile
Div 1 - Starter

Joined: December 13th, 2005, 2:09 pm
Posts: 524
Post Re: Projected Roster and Remaining Needs post draft
The team has a boatload of return-capable players right now, so it's going to be more of a "best guy wins out" situation there. Mike Williams (just writing that name makes me wince) looks to fill the H-back position, since it's what he did at Alabama. He's bigger than Heller and can really block. I still don't think the team has a true #2 wideout, and the defensive ends are all question marks until the season starts.

As far as the record goes, it doesn't help that our favorite team happens to be in what I consider the toughest division in the NFC. Green Bay reloaded, Minnesota added depth, and Chicago hired a head coach with a track record of rebuilding teams into winners.

It's not going to be a matter of scoring - we know the Lions can put points on the board (offensive line makeover notwithstanding). The whole defense is a big question mark right now.

_________________
If God isn't a Lions fan, then why is the sky Honolulu Blue?


April 28th, 2013, 10:37 am
Profile
League MVP

Joined: February 11th, 2005, 3:01 pm
Posts: 3530
Location: WSU
Post Re: Projected Roster and Remaining Needs post draft
rao wrote:
Legend - Nagy doesn't have a ridiculous injury history. He injured his ankle which put him on IR his first year and then reinjured that same ankle in camp the following year trying to come back. Nagy is 308lbs and ankle injuries are the hardest thing for olinemen to comeback from. He's had an extended time to rest and rehab his high ankle sprain, so he should come back fine. The real question with him is if he truly can play. He was a spot starter at Wisconsin, a 7th round pick, and only made 4 starts with the Cowboys who were already shaky at center. It's possible he just can't play at the NFL level well enough to take over for Dom.

I think you both should slow down on how bad the Bears will be. Trestman has helped teams and QBs put up their best offensive seasons pretty much every where he has gone. The changes he brings to their offense and defense may actually be even more effective in his first year because there won't be enough tape on them until the 2nd quarter of the season.


nagy battled injuries throughout his entire college career. i stand by my statement.

2nd - i dont think the bears will be worse. a meltdown is possible but i like what they ve done this offseason. they added bushrod to play lt. he s not great but he s proven and a huge upgrade for them. martellus bennett is an underrated te with wr skills w a chance to breakout. there draft looks pretty solid too - they added to the OL. they got a starter at OLB in rd 4 that the lions would ve loved to have with khasseem greene and later they added players i was hoping the lions would add in cornelius washington and marquess wilson. both talented guys. i like that the risks they took were late in the draft rather than early.


April 28th, 2013, 10:41 am
Profile
NFL Veteran

Joined: November 28th, 2007, 12:50 pm
Posts: 1333
Location: Newport Beach, Ca
Post Re: Projected Roster and Remaining Needs post draft
The Legend wrote:
rao wrote:
Legend - Nagy doesn't have a ridiculous injury history. He injured his ankle which put him on IR his first year and then reinjured that same ankle in camp the following year trying to come back. Nagy is 308lbs and ankle injuries are the hardest thing for olinemen to comeback from. He's had an extended time to rest and rehab his high ankle sprain, so he should come back fine. The real question with him is if he truly can play. He was a spot starter at Wisconsin, a 7th round pick, and only made 4 starts with the Cowboys who were already shaky at center. It's possible he just can't play at the NFL level well enough to take over for Dom.

I think you both should slow down on how bad the Bears will be. Trestman has helped teams and QBs put up their best offensive seasons pretty much every where he has gone. The changes he brings to their offense and defense may actually be even more effective in his first year because there won't be enough tape on them until the 2nd quarter of the season.


nagy battled injuries throughout his entire college career. i stand by my statement.

2nd - i dont think the bears will be worse. a meltdown is possible but i like what they ve done this offseason. they added bushrod to play lt. he s not great but he s proven and a huge upgrade for them. martellus bennett is an underrated te with wr skills w a chance to breakout. there draft looks pretty solid too - they added to the OL. they got a starter at OLB in rd 4 that the lions would ve loved to have with khasseem greene and later they added players i was hoping the lions would add in cornelius washington and marquess wilson. both talented guys. i like that the risks they took were late in the draft rather than early.


I never saw anything about Nagy being injured in college, he was a back-up most his career. I'll take your word on it since you seem to be very sure and I never pay much attention to the Badgers.

I thought the worst pick the Bears made was Washington, not because of bad value but because he will almost assuredly fail. He was awful in Georgia in a normal 4-3 role and really only seems to have a shot as maybe an OLB in a 3-4 or in a 4-3 like Seattle/Jacksonville or Detroit. IMO they have no worries at LB now with Greene and Bostic who will be a great MLB. They may have fixed their oline with just Bushrod and Long. I'm pretty sure the Lions will be fighting out of the bottom of the North even if they play well.


April 28th, 2013, 11:06 am
Profile
Butkus Award Winner

Joined: July 3rd, 2012, 2:06 am
Posts: 649
Post Re: Projected Roster and Remaining Needs post draft
WRs - Big battle for the #2 spot here. Burleson vs Broyles vs Thomas vs Fuller (maybe vs Riddick). Any of these guys, even Thomas once he learns the PB, could also man the slot well. I think we're pretty good here. Calvin will have at least 1,750 yards

RBs - I really like the backfield now. Bush will be an OK runningback, but shine in the passing game. LeShoure/Bell will be the bruisers into the endzone, and Riddick can make some plays with the ball in his hands. It'd be a great backfield if Best returned.

TEs - It's Pettigrew's contract year, and I think that if we can get the play action going successfully, he'll have a huge year with 75+ catches again. Scheff is a fine backup and good slot WR, and Michael Williams will be an extra blocker and goal-line TE.

OL - LT will probably be worse with Reiff. Sims will do what he does, as well as Raiola. Warford will immediately start at RG, and it'd be awesome if we could pick up Eric Winston or Andre Smith to play RT.

DEs - I think Jason Jones is no worse than Avril was. He's better against the run, and obviously not the pass rusher Avril was, but I think it cancels out and frankly would rather have the run-stopper. Ansah is a wild-card. I don't even know what to think of how his first year will go, but he's an immediate upgrade over KVB, who literally had nothing in the tank for most of last year. Horrible backups.

DTs - Suh and Fairley will continue to run the show. Mosley is an OK backup, but I also want C-Will resigned to stabilize the position.

LBs - Levy was really putting it together this past year, but after that high ankle sprain sucked. Now that he's 100%, I think he'll be a good starter. As someone pointed out, something went wrong with the young guys if Palmer is starting. Either way, the OLB oppisite Levy will probably be the weak link of the defense. Tulloch is an OK MLB.

CBs - Houston will continue to be a shade below a shutdown CB, but still get his share of picks. Slay will be a great #2 compared to the crap we've put out there for years. He can press, play off, man, zone, tackle well, and makes plays after picking the ball off. Bentley will be the nickel CB and Jonte the dime.

FS - Delmas will play well. He'll really benefit from having a very good cover safety in Quin. He'll be on IR by week 14.

SS - Quin will probably have a few picks but most importantly make QBs make that extra read because of his coverage abilities. Can't wait to see his impact on the defense.

Kickoffs will be way better than last year, Akers and Kickalicious both have way stronger legs than Hanson did last year. Martin will consistently BOOM punts.

I think 7-10 wins.

_________________
Image


April 28th, 2013, 11:28 am
Profile
QB Coach

Joined: January 13th, 2006, 4:18 am
Posts: 3169
Location: Maryland
Post Re: Projected Roster and Remaining Needs post draft
I'm wary of both lines. We should be ok on the interiors, but the edges worry me. Kinda wish we'd found a replacement for Dom in the middle rounds. I would have liked to see more bang for our buck in the later rounds. I know those prospects have "less chance of making it" but there were some guys who have the skills to project to solid backups/eventual starters.

If we'd had our original 4th we could have added Alex Okafor, David Bakhtiari, Ryan Nassib, Shamarko Thomas, Barrett Jones, BW Webb or Sean Porter or Khaseem Greene - both of whom I like better as prospects than Tahir Whitehead who cost us the pick in the first place. I probably have no idea what I'm talking about since I don't work in the NFL and would love to be proven wrong by him starting or being a good backup this year, but I'm not impressed so far.

A few players I would have preferred with our 5th - David Quessenberry, Devonte Hollowman, Cornelius Washington, or Baccari Rambo. Yes all were picked after our 6th rounder but I'm ok with the Fuller pick there.


April 28th, 2013, 11:44 am
Profile
League MVP

Joined: February 11th, 2005, 3:01 pm
Posts: 3530
Location: WSU
Post Re: Projected Roster and Remaining Needs post draft
inheritedlionsfan wrote:
I'm wary of both lines. We should be ok on the interiors, but the edges worry me. Kinda wish we'd found a replacement for Dom in the middle rounds. I would have liked to see more bang for our buck in the later rounds. I know those prospects have "less chance of making it" but there were some guys who have the skills to project to solid backups/eventual starters.

If we'd had our original 4th we could have added Alex Okafor, David Bakhtiari, Ryan Nassib, Shamarko Thomas, Barrett Jones, BW Webb or Sean Porter or Khaseem Greene - both of whom I like better as prospects than Tahir Whitehead who cost us the pick in the first place. I probably have no idea what I'm talking about since I don't work in the NFL and would love to be proven wrong by him starting or being a good backup this year, but I'm not impressed so far.

A few players I would have preferred with our 5th - David Quessenberry, Devonte Hollowman, Cornelius Washington, or Baccari Rambo. Yes all were picked after our 6th rounder but I'm ok with the Fuller pick there.


good points


April 28th, 2013, 12:35 pm
Profile
Post Re: Projected Roster and Remaining Needs post draft
inheritedlionsfan wrote:
I'm wary of both lines. We should be ok on the interiors, but the edges worry me. Kinda wish we'd found a replacement for Dom in the middle rounds. I would have liked to see more bang for our buck in the later rounds. I know those prospects have "less chance of making it" but there were some guys who have the skills to project to solid backups/eventual starters.

If we'd had our original 4th we could have added Alex Okafor, David Bakhtiari, Ryan Nassib, Shamarko Thomas, Barrett Jones, BW Webb or Sean Porter or Khaseem Greene - both of whom I like better as prospects than Tahir Whitehead who cost us the pick in the first place. I probably have no idea what I'm talking about since I don't work in the NFL and would love to be proven wrong by him starting or being a good backup this year, but I'm not impressed so far.

A few players I would have preferred with our 5th - David Quessenberry, Devonte Hollowman, Cornelius Washington, or Baccari Rambo. Yes all were picked after our 6th rounder but I'm ok with the Fuller pick there.


I agree, aside from the Fuller pick. I like that pick, but I would have preferred Stills with our original 5th.


April 28th, 2013, 9:34 pm
QB Coach

Joined: January 13th, 2006, 4:18 am
Posts: 3169
Location: Maryland
Post Re: Projected Roster and Remaining Needs post draft
True I forgot about Stills. Fuller has a bit more size though and I think that's what we were looking for.

I was just looking over the options remaining in FA for depth at a few spots and it's slim pickings. We could probably get a WR or TE that could help, but we don't have the cap space to add a starter on the Oline, and as I said in another thread it looks like the team is comfortable rolling with the tackles we have now. Winston and McKinnie are the big names out there along with the always injured Jared Gaither.

Another position the front office seems OK with that I'm not is LB. I don't see the young guys every day in practice so Palmer, Whitehead and Travis Lewis could be looking better than I know, but there are still some decent players out there who could start for us.


April 29th, 2013, 1:14 pm
Profile
NFL Veteran

Joined: November 28th, 2007, 12:50 pm
Posts: 1333
Location: Newport Beach, Ca
Post Re: Projected Roster and Remaining Needs post draft
inheritedlionsfan wrote:
True I forgot about Stills. Fuller has a bit more size though and I think that's what we were looking for.

I was just looking over the options remaining in FA for depth at a few spots and it's slim pickings. We could probably get a WR or TE that could help, but we don't have the cap space to add a starter on the Oline, and as I said in another thread it looks like the team is comfortable rolling with the tackles we have now. Winston and McKinnie are the big names out there along with the always injured Jared Gaither.

Another position the front office seems OK with that I'm not is LB. I don't see the young guys every day in practice so Palmer, Whitehead and Travis Lewis could be looking better than I know, but there are still some decent players out there who could start for us.


Mayhew said yesterday they weren't set on the oline yet and you still have Max Starks, Tyson Clabo, or Winston Justice who could all handle the RT spot for the Lions while being cheap. The Lions can make cap space anytime they want with a Stafford extension, I hope they don't and instead front load Staff's extension to make it cheaper later, but it's there for them to make space.

I agree about LB, it looks dismal.


April 29th, 2013, 1:30 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ] 

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Majestic-12 [Bot] and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.