View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently December 19th, 2014, 11:05 pm

Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post Your 2013 Lions Draft Grades 
ST Coordinator – John Bonamego

Post Re: Post Your 2013 Lions Draft Grades
i think its funny that you say the lions dont zone block bc virtually all nfl teams do at times. linehan is at least partially credited for evolving/developing some of the inside and outside zone runs that alabama has done well with. i cant show you tape so ill just give you this link from when linehan was hired:

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/20 ... _offe.html

in it kowalski says "Linehan said the Lions would continue to use a zone-blocking system, but it would be only part of the offense and would not dominate the scheme"

anyway - yes they didnt rely as much on zone blocking in 2012 but that was mostly bc we had only power runners. still we used a lot of zone blocking on the OL esp when we had Best (but even last season too), and Linehan did the same with Bennett. I really dont care if you dont believe me bc of what you read on some other website but they did.

as for peterman, he was recruited as a TE to LSU and converted to G later on. i dont care what 40 time is more accurate (probably yours bc 4.9 is fast for that fatty) but peterman plays around 320-330 lbs and when things were going well for him could move and get to the 2nd level as well as pull. warford had to lose about 30 lbs for the nfl combine prep just to run a 5.6. if you watch his highlight tapes he s well over 350 lb playing weight and has a totally different body than peterman, as well as minimal mobility. you need only look at them to see that.

Last edited by The Legend on April 29th, 2013, 1:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

April 29th, 2013, 12:38 am

Quote:
Also it very much matters what Schwartz saw in TEN because unfortunately he's helping make personnel decisions in the draft.

true, but its linehan's scheme and thats why they SHOULD be drafting someone that fits that scheme rather than Schwartz' memories of Fisher's Titans. Thats why Im not 100% pleased with the Warford pick even if it will give some short term dividends.

April 29th, 2013, 12:41 am
The Legend wrote:
Quote:
Also it very much matters what Schwartz saw in TEN because unfortunately he's helping make personnel decisions in the draft.

true, but its linehan's scheme and thats why they SHOULD be drafting someone that fits that scheme rather than Schwartz' memories of Fisher's Titans. Thats why Im not 100% pleased with the Warford pick even if it will give some short term dividends.

Who do you think they should have drafted? Okafur, Keenan Allen, Dion Sims, or Barret Jones would have all made me happy.

April 29th, 2013, 1:03 am

wjb21ndtown wrote:
The Legend wrote:
Quote:

Who do you think they should have drafted? Okafur, Keenan Allen, Dion Sims, or Barret Jones would have all made me happy.

i thought dallas thomas might fit better. who knows, maybe they thought that he wasnt any good, I just didnt think Warford was a great match w Linehan's offense but I still like the pick bc he can block someone in front of him.

i was a little worried about barret jones lis franc injury. he apparently was playing with it so maybe it wasnt a true lis franc or worse - maybe they were giving him pain killers so he could play. i dunno the details of it but i was thinking barret jones later on. i think okafor may have been gone? im not sure. yes i did really like keenan allen as essentially everything you would want in a No 2 WR prospect but apparently he did some stupid things prior to the draft including getting arrested and possibly not fully preparing for workouts (4.7 40?). dion sims is okay but i think its good for him to get away from the detroit area.

April 29th, 2013, 1:14 am
Player of the Year - Defense

Incomplete.

I've written it many times here, but I believe trying to grade drafts right after they happen is the dumbest thing. None of it matters until these guys play a few years.

Want an easy way to see this? Go on Google and search "2011 Detroit Lions draft grades" and see what you find.

Everyone loved the Lion's draft in 2011. Great value in Fairley. Titus Young awesome sleeper pick. Leshoure, perfect combination of talent and team need.

Of the five players the Lions took that year, only two of them are still on the roster -- both were arrested, and neither has proven to be a particularly great player.

If the Lions snag two pro bowlers, it'll have been an outstanding draft -- no matter what positions they play or which round they were taken. If none of these guys are still on the team three years from now, it will have been a horrible draft -- no matter how good the pick was from a perceived value standpoint or how well it seemed to fill a need.

I know it's fun to talk about, but to me, it's like the audience on Deal or No Deal discussing which briefcase the contestants should pick to open.

April 29th, 2013, 1:36 am
Blueskies wrote:
Incomplete.

I've written it many times here, but I believe trying to grade drafts right after they happen is the dumbest thing. None of it matters until these guys play a few years.

Want an easy way to see this? Go on Google and search "2011 Detroit Lions draft grades" and see what you find.

Everyone loved the Lion's draft in 2011. Great value in Fairley. Titus Young awesome sleeper pick. Leshoure, perfect combination of talent and team need.

Of the five players the Lions took that year, only two of them are still on the roster -- both were arrested, and neither has proven to be a particularly great player.

If the Lions snag two pro bowlers, it'll have been an outstanding draft -- no matter what positions they play or which round they were taken. If none of these guys are still on the team three years from now, it will have been a horrible draft -- no matter how good the pick was from a perceived value standpoint or how well it seemed to fill a need.

I know it's fun to talk about, but to me, it's like the audience on Deal or No Deal discussing which briefcase the contestants should pick to open.

I hated the 2011 draft.

:idea: :arrow:

April 29th, 2013, 1:42 am
Player of the Year - Defense

True, but you generally dislike everything the Lions do. And since the Lions are a terrible franchise and have done many bad things over the years, it's like you're playing the house odds. :wink:

The only thing I can really say is that if the Lion's can't swing a trade for another decent tackle before the season, they're likely going to be hurting. Given their love of passing, and their investment in Stafford and CJ, I think the tackle positions need a lot more love.

EDIT: Also, the Ansah pick scares the hell out of me because it reminds me so much of the IAF pick from 2007 (Marinelli's 5-0). Raw talent. New to football. Etc.

April 29th, 2013, 2:09 am
Blueskies wrote:
True, but you generally dislike everything the Lions do. And since the Lions are a terrible franchise and have done many bad things over the years, it's like you're playing the house odds. :wink:

The only thing I can really say is that if the Lion's can't swing a trade for another decent tackle before the season, they're likely going to be hurting. Given their love of passing, and their investment in Stafford and CJ, I think the tackle positions need a lot more love.

EDIT: Also, the Ansah pick scares the hell out of me because it reminds me so much of the IAF pick from 2007 (Marinelli's 5-0). Raw talent. New to football. Etc.

I've also compared Ansah to IAF.

The 2011 draft pissed me off because I liked Cobb and Smith more than Titus, and I thought that Pouncy or Amukamara would have been better draft picks than Fairley. Still think so, even with realizing that Prince hasn't been great for NY.

And, I did like the LeShoure pick, but I didn't like the trade back up to get him.

April 29th, 2013, 6:32 am
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

Is it that hard for us to find a "good" GM? I see what the 49ers do in the draft and they really are doing it right while MM is taking a punter who is almost identical to three other on the board over a potential Pro Bowl safety...

April 29th, 2013, 7:17 am
Rookie Player of the Year

Blueskies wrote:

IAF wasn't a consensus top 10 pick. IAF was Millen again thinking he was smarter than everybody else (when the reality was quite different, of course).

EDIT: Did anybody else know he's on the Niners?

April 29th, 2013, 7:22 am
thelomasbrowns wrote:
Blueskies wrote:

IAF wasn't a consensus top 10 pick. IAF was Millen again thinking he was smarter than everybody else (when the reality was quite different, of course).

"Consensus top 10 pick" is arbitrary. it was all based off of his pro-day, combine, and Senior Bowl. The kid had virtually zero stats/game tape to justify the selection.

If anything IAF was a more "polished" player, having played the sport longer, and had recorded much more impressive stats.

April 29th, 2013, 7:41 am
Rookie Player of the Year

wjb21ndtown wrote:
thelomasbrowns wrote:
Blueskies wrote:

"Consensus top 10 pick" is arbitrary. it was all based off of his pro-day, combine, and Senior Bowl. The kid had virtually zero stats/game tape to justify the selection.

If anything IAF was a more "polished" player, having played the sport longer, and had recorded much more impressive stats.

FYI:

Quote:
Tim Twentyman
‏@ttwentyman

Martin Mayhew told 97.1 that Ziggy was the 3rd-rated player on their board. Didn't say who was 1 or 2. I'm guessing it was the two tackles.
https://twitter.com/ttwentyman/status/3 ... 1344296960

April 29th, 2013, 9:20 am
thelomasbrowns wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
thelomasbrowns wrote:
Blueskies wrote:

FYI:

Quote:
Tim Twentyman
‏@ttwentyman

Martin Mayhew told 97.1 that Ziggy was the 3rd-rated player on their board. Didn't say who was 1 or 2. I'm guessing it was the two tackles.
https://twitter.com/ttwentyman/status/3 ... 1344296960

Mayhew is lucky he didn't have a chance to pass on Lane Johnson... May have gotten him fired.

April 29th, 2013, 10:01 am
#1 Overall Pick

I can see the comparisons to IAF, they have very similar backgrounds.

I think the one major difference is Ziggy wasn't going to fall past the top 10-15 picks. I'm pretty sure IAF could have went to the third - fourth round and it was the staff falling in love with a player.

April 29th, 2013, 10:18 am
#1 Overall Pick

The Legend wrote:
i think its funny that you say the lions dont zone block bc virtually all nfl teams do at times. linehan is at least partially credited for evolving/developing some of the inside and outside zone runs that alabama has done well with. i cant show you tape so ill just give you this link from when linehan was hired:

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/20 ... _offe.html

in it kowalski says "Linehan said the Lions would continue to use a zone-blocking system, but it would be only part of the offense and would not dominate the scheme"

anyway - yes they didnt rely as much on zone blocking in 2012 but that was mostly bc we had only power runners. still we used a lot of zone blocking on the OL esp when we had Best (but even last season too), and Linehan did the same with Bennett. I really dont care if you dont believe me bc of what you read on some other website but they did.

as for peterman, he was recruited as a TE to LSU and converted to G later on. i dont care what 40 time is more accurate (probably yours bc 4.9 is fast for that fatty) but peterman plays around 320-330 lbs and when things were going well for him could move and get to the 2nd level as well as pull. warford had to lose about 30 lbs for the nfl combine prep just to run a 5.6. if you watch his highlight tapes he s well over 350 lb playing weight and has a totally different body than peterman, as well as minimal mobility. you need only look at them to see that.

I never said the Lions didn't use a zone blocking scheme, I said they don't use one as in right now or maybe I'm wrong but its not an important part of their system now. Being good in a zone blocking scheme has nothing to do with whether a back is a power guy or speed guy, both have been successful in it. Zone blocking plays well to one-cut down hill runners, all the back needs is to be willing to hit the whole without fear. Bell would probably work well in a zone scheme, Leshoure liked to dance a bit so I'm not sure on him.

The reason why Warford is a great fit is the one thing the Lions have needed on the inside is someone that can anchor. Warford will be able to hold the pocket for Stafford and shouldn't be pushed back into Staff on every drop. Yeah, athletic lineman are nice, but Staff is better when he stays in the pocket and has room to step into his throws. There is no reason to be able to have your RG pulling all over the field as long as he is able to drive forward on run plays.

April 29th, 2013, 12:38 pm
Reply to topic   [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next