View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently December 19th, 2014, 1:36 pm

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 Tigers re-sign Jose Valverde 
RIP Killer

Post Tigers re-sign Jose Valverde
ESPN wrote:
Tigers re-sign Jose Valverde

The Detroit Tigers announced Thursday that they have re-signed reliever Jose Valverde to a minor league contract.

Tigers general manager Dave Dombrowski made the announcement before Thursday's game at Minnesota.

Valverde will report to Detroit's spring training facility in Lakeland, Fla., for some work before being assigned to Triple-A Toledo. Dombrowski said there's no timetable or certainty for Valverde to join the Tigers.

Valverde converted 110 of 118 save opportunities in his three seasons with Detroit, including all 49 save chances in 2011.

But the two-time All-Star blew five saves last season and unraveled in the postseason before being replaced by Phil Coke, who recorded two saves in the ALCS and helped the Tigers reach the World Series.

When Valverde became a free agent, the Tigers brought 22-year-old Bruce Rondon to camp as his potential replacement, only to demote him to Triple-A before the season began.

A 10-year veteran, the 35-year-old Valverde has 277 career saves with the Tigers, Houston Astros and Arizona Diamondbacks.

April 4th, 2013, 3:03 pm
Profile WWW
ST Coordinator – John Bonamego

Post Re: Tigers re-sign Jose Valverde
TIGERS just named Valverde closer and gave him a major league deal. Honestly seems like a joke.

April 23rd, 2013, 9:40 pm
RIP Killer

Everyone else except Benoit looked like shiat so far. Villarreal has been a joke. Rondon has showngood stuff in Toledo, but is still wild. If valverde has the splitter going and going regularly plus more life on his 95 mph fastball, he's a good closer. I think his 49/49 save year shows that. You didn't hold your breath and have flashbacks of turd jones during the big potatoes franchise record year.

Plus, dotel is hurt and the tigs need BP help. I fail to see how bad this really is. Hate the guy all you want, but it's a win win. Everybody in the BP has sucked so far, except damn drew smyly. Where the hell is below? Why isn't he called up and in the BP?

April 24th, 2013, 8:25 am

I dunno CO2, Al Al, Benoit, Downs, and Smyly have been pretty good. Villareal and Dotel were struggling for sure. Maybe they were expecting a little more from Coke. I understand the Dotel/Rondon move but the scouting reports on Valverde were saying he hit 95 mph once, was throwing almost all fastballs in the low 90s and wasnt throwing his signature split finger. Im skeptical and when you just anoint him closer again there is the risk of him blowing a few games that count rather than giving him a trial period at another level like Toledo.

April 24th, 2013, 9:04 am
RIP Killer

I've heard the opposite. I've heard the velocity was back to 94-95 with decent life and he was throwing the splitter with regularity and it was nasty.

April 24th, 2013, 4:30 pm

conversion02 wrote:
I've heard the opposite. I've heard the velocity was back to 94-95 with decent life and he was throwing the splitter with regularity and it was nasty.

Everything I ve heard since the announcement of Valverde as closer has said he is throwing the splitter. Everything I heard before that said he was throwing all fastballs, low 90s, hit 95 mph once.

April 24th, 2013, 5:24 pm

The Legend wrote:
conversion02 wrote:

Everything I ve heard since the announcement of Valverde as closer has said he is throwing the splitter. Everything I heard before that said he was throwing all fastballs, low 90s, hit 95 mph once.

valverde holding up so far, still not really throwing the splitter but getting the fastball occassionally into the mid 90s

April 29th, 2013, 1:46 pm
RIP Killer

In fairness, it's been relatively cold. Throwing the splitter in that cold is very difficult and doesn't work out too well. His fastball has nice life and he's throwing it 93-95. For all fastballs, he looks pretty good. Pretty good locations on his fastballs too. He's hitting his spots.

April 29th, 2013, 8:19 pm

conversion02 wrote:
In fairness, it's been relatively cold. Throwing the splitter in that cold is very difficult and doesn't work out too well. His fastball has nice life and he's throwing it 93-95. For all fastballs, he looks pretty good. Pretty good locations on his fastballs too. He's hitting his spots.

i agree, he also hasnt been messing around like he usually does - putting a couple of guys on and creating his own drama. hope it holds up

April 29th, 2013, 11:42 pm
Heisman Winner

While I hoped this would work out, it's time to move on immediately from Valverde. His velocity on his fastball is fine, he just doesn't have any secondary pitches. The last three nonfast balls he has thrown seem to have found the seats in the outfield. 2 splitters and a slider. Wish him well and hope Rondon can handle it, he can't do worse.

June 13th, 2013, 9:50 am
Team MVP

aManNamedSuh wrote:
While I hoped this would work out, it's time to move on immediately from Valverde. His velocity on his fastball is fine, he just doesn't have any secondary pitches. The last three nonfast balls he has thrown seem to have found the seats in the outfield. 2 splitters and a slider. Wish him well and hope Rondon can handle it, he can't do worse.

I dont know why they keep putting Valverde in. What are they gaining from it? Im literally sick right now thinking of what happened last night (AGAIN!)

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

June 13th, 2013, 11:43 am
Heisman Winner

The thing about Valverde is that he has the moxie to be a 9th inning guy, he just doesn't have the stuff anymore. I think we have better ability guys on the staff, but they don't have the moxie to handle the situation.

I think the Tigers are kicking themselves for not getting Rafael Soriano in the off season.

June 13th, 2013, 1:43 pm
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]