View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 17th, 2014, 3:44 pm



Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 3rd Round Pick @ #65 - Larry Warford G Kentucy 
Author Message
Online
NFL Veteran

Joined: November 28th, 2007, 12:50 pm
Posts: 1369
Location: Newport Beach, Ca
Post Re: 3rd Round Pick @ #65 - Larry Warford G Kentucy
Shotty wrote:
inheritedlionsfan wrote:
rao wrote:
inheritedlionsfan wrote:
rao wrote:
Mayhew said on Sunday that they weren't done adding to the offensive line, I think that shows they aren't comfortable with what they got yet. There is too many question marks on the line right now and adding a vet in the OT rotation or a starter seems like what they are looking at.


I think a vet starter at RT assuming Reiff is the LT would be a big boost to the line, but I'm afraid that the front office feels set there with Fox and Hilliard, and we don't have the cap space to add a big name. We need more than 3 tackles though so hopefully we'll add someone.


They won't add a big name, but Stafford hasn't restructured yet and if they really wanted to add a guy like Eric Winston they could get it done. There are still some decent OTs left out there like Tyson Clabo, Winston Justice, and Max Starks who all shouldn't cost to much this late in free agency.


Winston is the only guy of that group I like and I consider him to be a big name player.


Agreed. He was released because of a hamstring injury, I believe, but I think wouldn't have been if KC wasn't guaranteed a big-name tackle in the draft and started a mini-rebuild with Reid. Getting him would mean two spots on the offensive line are solidified (along with Sims) and the other three are decent (Reiff, Raiola/Nagy, Fox/Hilliard)


Winston may be the best of the 3 options, but Clabo, Starks, and Justice are all better and more experienced OTs over Hilliard/Fox. Even if they were unable to win a starting spot all of them offer some type of true veteran depth which the Lions could use at OT.


April 29th, 2013, 3:53 pm
Profile
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman
User avatar

Joined: March 30th, 2006, 12:48 am
Posts: 3787
Location: Davison Mi
Post Re: 3rd Round Pick @ #65 - Larry Warford G Kentucy
if we solidify one Tackle spot I'll be satisfied. if we can find a way to get a GOOD LT somehow..I'll be bouncing off the walls with excitment.

I like a lot of thing we did this offseason, but WJB is right. The line is the single most important position in the game. Ours got weaker this offseason, no doubts about it. If we get us a new starting LT and I'll like our chances MUCH better.

_________________
2013 Lionbacker Fantasy Football Champion


April 29th, 2013, 4:52 pm
Profile
Post Re: 3rd Round Pick @ #65 - Larry Warford G Kentucy
My issue with this pick is more who we left on the board, vs who we have on the team. I feel like the FO is still going to play Raiola, so I'd like Nagy to start at OG, at least to start the year. IMO we have a few guys that can play OG, but virtually no one that can be relied upon to play OT.

Moore was still available, I don't like him, but I do think he would have/could have been more of a reliable DE than our 4th round pick. I would have been more comfortable "starting" him or giving him significant playing time, over Devon Taylor. I don't think he should have been the pick at our 3rd round selection, but I do think he should have been given a hard look. I would have preferred Okafor, Keenan Allen or Terrance Williams.

IMO both Allen and Williams could start for us at #2 WR immediately, and Okafor would have been a better DE prospect.

People are quick to give Mayhew a pass for the Punter pick "because it was nearly a 6th rounder..." We'll if that's the case then our 3rd round pick was "nearly a 2nd rounder" and IMO we didn't get good value there, given who else was on the board/who else was on our roster.


April 29th, 2013, 9:48 pm
League MVP

Joined: February 11th, 2005, 3:01 pm
Posts: 3622
Location: WSU
Post Re: 3rd Round Pick @ #65 - Larry Warford G Kentucy
wjb21ndtown wrote:
My issue with this pick is more who we left on the board, vs who we have on the team. I feel like the FO is still going to play Raiola, so I'd like Nagy to start at OG, at least to start the year. IMO we have a few guys that can play OG, but virtually no one that can be relied upon to play OT.

Moore was still available, I don't like him, but I do think he would have/could have been more of a reliable DE than our 4th round pick. I would have been more comfortable "starting" him or giving him significant playing time, over Devon Taylor. I don't think he should have been the pick at our 3rd round selection, but I do think he should have been given a hard look. I would have preferred Okafor, Keenan Allen or Terrance Williams.

IMO both Allen and Williams could start for us at #2 WR immediately, and Okafor would have been a better DE prospect.

People are quick to give Mayhew a pass for the Punter pick "because it was nearly a 6th rounder..." We'll if that's the case then our 3rd round pick was "nearly a 2nd rounder" and IMO we didn't get good value there, given who else was on the board/who else was on our roster.



they cant draft guys like moore or allen bc they dont know how to even keep the player's without history out of trouble let alone the titus young's of the world. case of the rich getting richer with the giants drafting moore


April 29th, 2013, 11:25 pm
Profile
Post Re: 3rd Round Pick @ #65 - Larry Warford G Kentucy
The Legend wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
My issue with this pick is more who we left on the board, vs who we have on the team. I feel like the FO is still going to play Raiola, so I'd like Nagy to start at OG, at least to start the year. IMO we have a few guys that can play OG, but virtually no one that can be relied upon to play OT.

Moore was still available, I don't like him, but I do think he would have/could have been more of a reliable DE than our 4th round pick. I would have been more comfortable "starting" him or giving him significant playing time, over Devon Taylor. I don't think he should have been the pick at our 3rd round selection, but I do think he should have been given a hard look. I would have preferred Okafor, Keenan Allen or Terrance Williams.

IMO both Allen and Williams could start for us at #2 WR immediately, and Okafor would have been a better DE prospect.

People are quick to give Mayhew a pass for the Punter pick "because it was nearly a 6th rounder..." We'll if that's the case then our 3rd round pick was "nearly a 2nd rounder" and IMO we didn't get good value there, given who else was on the board/who else was on our roster.



they cant draft guys like moore or allen bc they dont know how to even keep the player's without history out of trouble let alone the titus young's of the world. case of the rich getting richer with the giants drafting moore


That's what's wrong with this team. If we constantly have to draft choir boys that have ZERO issues from their past (and even that doesn't seem to always work out for us), while passing on good and great talent for lesser players, we're always going to have a competitive disadvantage.

That's why I say Lewis should be gone, last week. Cutting someone shouldn't be a "convenience" because no we have someone to replace him. Cutting someone is a decision as to what sort of behavior you're going to allow on your team, and it may be "overly-harsh," but sometimes you have to be overly harsh when you're changing your culture.


April 29th, 2013, 11:35 pm
League MVP

Joined: February 11th, 2005, 3:01 pm
Posts: 3622
Location: WSU
Post Re: 3rd Round Pick @ #65 - Larry Warford G Kentucy
agree, the time to be overly harsh was last offseason though. no real use changing horses midstream. IMO they didnt do enough to give stafford a shot carry them this season. they made some solid improvements to the defense and team in general but its probably not enough to save everyone's job. of course the fords probably wont fire them regardless.


April 29th, 2013, 11:39 pm
Profile
Online
NFL Veteran

Joined: November 28th, 2007, 12:50 pm
Posts: 1369
Location: Newport Beach, Ca
Post Re: 3rd Round Pick @ #65 - Larry Warford G Kentucy
To me avoiding Keenan Allen is a medical issue not a character one. The Lions already played the WR coming off a knee injury game and they lost. The Chargers are coming in with a fresh coaching staff, so they can afford to take a risk or two this year.

Moore is a special case, I don't think he could have gone anywhere other than the Giants or maybe the 49ers and be successful. He doesn't give a poop about his development as a football player and only those two teams really have the coaches and vets to kick him in the rectum.

Okafor I could maybe see, but they weren't able to get any oline help in the first 2 rounds and Warford looks to be a week 1 starter.


April 30th, 2013, 12:18 am
Profile
Post Re: 3rd Round Pick @ #65 - Larry Warford G Kentucy
rao wrote:
To me avoiding Keenan Allen is a medical issue not a character one. The Lions already played the WR coming off a knee injury game and they lost. The Chargers are coming in with a fresh coaching staff, so they can afford to take a risk or two this year.

Moore is a special case, I don't think he could have gone anywhere other than the Giants or maybe the 49ers and be successful. He doesn't give a poop about his development as a football player and only those two teams really have the coaches and vets to kick him in the rectum.

Okafor I could maybe see, but they weren't able to get any oline help in the first 2 rounds and Warford looks to be a week 1 starter.


A "week 1 starter" on this OL is sort of a dubious distinction. Like I said, Nagy could have been (and may still be) our week 1 OG.

I trust Keenan Allen's medical history much more than Broyles. I stated when we picked him that I thought he was going to have medical issues. The board blew up on me because it was "his other knee," but that's my point. His issues seemed to result from his genetic makeup. It's not like he had a Willis McGahee/Marcus Lattamore type of hit that took him out.

For my money, I wouldn't have cared if Allen only lasted a few seasons here. If I had to make the pick I would have picked Okafor, because I also liked Stills, Williams, and others at WR later. I don't disagree that our team culture is incapable of absorbing a player like Moore, that has huge character and work ethic concerns, but IMO that's part (or the majority of) our problem.

I really liked this WR class in the later rounds, and everyone knows I don't expect much from our #2. Anyone that can get off the line and go deep works for me. We just need someone to stretch the field, and Allen or Williams could have done that, that said, so could Stills, Fuller, and Charles Johnson. I just wish that Fuller wasn't such a project, because I do think it will take 6-10 weeks of the season progressing before he's capable of seeing real playing time. I'm always cap conscious and I think that Stills or Allen could have resulted in us cutting Thomas, and we could have put that money toward signing an OG if we really felt that it was necessary.


April 30th, 2013, 3:14 am
Online
NFL Veteran

Joined: November 28th, 2007, 12:50 pm
Posts: 1369
Location: Newport Beach, Ca
Post Re: 3rd Round Pick @ #65 - Larry Warford G Kentucy
wjb21ndtown wrote:
rao wrote:
To me avoiding Keenan Allen is a medical issue not a character one. The Lions already played the WR coming off a knee injury game and they lost. The Chargers are coming in with a fresh coaching staff, so they can afford to take a risk or two this year.

Moore is a special case, I don't think he could have gone anywhere other than the Giants or maybe the 49ers and be successful. He doesn't give a poop about his development as a football player and only those two teams really have the coaches and vets to kick him in the rectum.

Okafor I could maybe see, but they weren't able to get any oline help in the first 2 rounds and Warford looks to be a week 1 starter.


A "week 1 starter" on this OL is sort of a dubious distinction. Like I said, Nagy could have been (and may still be) our week 1 OG.

I trust Keenan Allen's medical history much more than Broyles. I stated when we picked him that I thought he was going to have medical issues. The board blew up on me because it was "his other knee," but that's my point. His issues seemed to result from his genetic makeup. It's not like he had a Willis McGahee/Marcus Lattamore type of hit that took him out.

For my money, I wouldn't have cared if Allen only lasted a few seasons here. If I had to make the pick I would have picked Okafor, because I also liked Stills, Williams, and others at WR later. I don't disagree that our team culture is incapable of absorbing a player like Moore, that has huge character and work ethic concerns, but IMO that's part (or the majority of) our problem.

I really liked this WR class in the later rounds, and everyone knows I don't expect much from our #2. Anyone that can get off the line and go deep works for me. We just need someone to stretch the field, and Allen or Williams could have done that, that said, so could Stills, Fuller, and Charles Johnson. I just wish that Fuller wasn't such a project, because I do think it will take 6-10 weeks of the season progressing before he's capable of seeing real playing time. I'm always cap conscious and I think that Stills or Allen could have resulted in us cutting Thomas, and we could have put that money toward signing an OG if we really felt that it was necessary.


While I agree it is not saying a lot if your a week 1 starter for this Oline, I don't think you can trust Nagy much more than Fox at the moment due to his ankle. Nagy has missed 2 seasons because of his ankle, so as much as I would like him to get some work at OG before becoming the OC, IMO he can't be relied upon as a starter yet.

It's not just trusting Allen not to re-injure his knee, it's also the fact I don't think he can stretch the field or get separation in the NFL right now. Allen may not be fully ready to compete physically until 6 weeks into the season and then he will still need to adjust to the speed. He also isn't a burner, so he may not even be a useful WR until the 2014 season when he has a better grasp of reading coverage and his route tree. I think Williams is the better option than Allen even if Allen were healthy I would probably prefer Williams. I said in the day 3 thread I though the trade down in the 5th was stupid for what they got back in value. I would have been all for Stills in the 5th if they had stayed at their original pick, I didn't mind the Punter pick late in the round because I think looking for players for anything other than special teams that close to the 6th round is a waste, but it was just so dumb to drop that far for what was basically a 7th round pick.

I wouldn't be surprised if Thomas gets cut this year even without any new adds to the WR corps. They have had some guys they like on the practice squad that aren't bad as reserves and would be a lot cheaper. Only thing needed is Fuller or Bush to take the Return duties and Thomas becomes/already is worthless, I'd even be fine with Riddick as long as he can field the ball fine just to get Thomas off the books.

Well back to the real topic, I really like the Warford pick because I think he gives the Lions something they were missing and will probably be better at the RG spot than any of the rest of the line(except Sims) will be at their spots.


April 30th, 2013, 11:00 am
Profile
QB Coach

Joined: January 13th, 2006, 4:18 am
Posts: 3190
Location: Maryland
Post Re: 3rd Round Pick @ #65 - Larry Warford G Kentucy
Quote:
Lions’ third-round pick was a first-round target of the Rams
Posted by Michael David Smith on May 4, 2013, 12:45 PM EDT
Larry Warford AP

In a good sign for Lions fans that Detroit got good value from third-round draft pick Larry Warford, it turns out that Warford was viewed as a player worthy of a first-round pick by at least one other team.

Peter King of Sports Illustrated was inside the Rams’ draft room, and he reported (as pointed out by ESPN.com) that when the Rams moved down from the 22nd pick to the 30th pick in the first round, Warford was one of the three players they were hoping would still be on the board at No. 30.

When the Rams decided to trade down, they were hoping to draft either Warford, UCLA defensive lineman Datone Jones (who went 26th to the Packers) or Georgia linebacker Alec Ogletree. As it turned out, both Ogletree and Warford were still available at No. 30, and the Rams decided to go with Ogletree.

The Rams didn’t have a second-round pick, so they didn’t get another shot at Warford before the Lions took him early in the third round, at No. 65 overall. Warford is expected to start at right guard for the Lions as a rookie, and the word out of Detroit is that the Lions think they got a steal in the third round.

The Rams would have to agree.


May 4th, 2013, 1:27 pm
Profile
Online
NFL Veteran

Joined: November 28th, 2007, 12:50 pm
Posts: 1369
Location: Newport Beach, Ca
Post Re: 3rd Round Pick @ #65 - Larry Warford G Kentucy
PFT wrote:
LeCharles Bentley trains Lions rookie, thinks he’ll be “special”
Posted by Michael David Smith on May 9, 2013, 11:53 AM EDT

LeCharles Bentley, the former Pro Bowl center for the Saints, now works as a personal trainer specializing in getting offensive linemen into NFL shape. And he says he hasn’t seen many linemen like Lions rookie Larry Warford.

Bentley told Dave Birkett of the Detroit Free Press that as soon as Warford’s senior season at Kentucky ended last year, he moved to Arizona to train with Bentley. And when the holidays came around, that’s when Bentley realized what kind of work ethic Warford has.

“Larry says, ‘Hey, we’re training on Christmas, right?’ Wow,” Bentley recalled of Warford insisting he didn’t want any days off. “He could have gone and ate cake and stuff and had a good old time on Christmas Day, but Larry Warford wanted to come into the gym and work on Christmas Day. And not do arms and not do upper body, he wanted to do legs. There aren’t many players that want to train legs on any given day, especially on Christmas Day.”

So Warford and Bentley spent Christmas Day together, doing squats and watching film.

“At that point in time, I said, ‘OK, there’s something here that can be pretty special,’” Bentley said.

Warford also cleaned up his diet while working with Bentley, and although Warford is a naturally enormous man who will never be thin, he got down to 330 pounds, after being listed at Kentucky at 343.

“He’s never going to look like a running back,” Bentley said of Warford. “That’s just the reality. He’s never going to look like Calvin Johnson, that’s just genetically what he is. He’s an endomorph in terms of his body composition, and that’s just genetics. But he can be the best looking endomorph he can be. He can be the best that he can be, and he’s not there yet, but I can guarantee you he’s going to be there.”

The Lions, who lost three starters from last year’s offensive line and didn’t sign anyone to replace them, need Warford to be there right away. Bentley is helping make that happen.


Link to the freep article http://www.freep.com/article/20130509/SPORTS01/305090090/detroit-lions-larry-warford

This kid seems pretty special, even his combine and pre-draft interviews are great.


May 9th, 2013, 12:14 pm
Profile
Post Re: 3rd Round Pick @ #65 - Larry Warford G Kentucy
rao wrote:
PFT wrote:
LeCharles Bentley trains Lions rookie, thinks he’ll be “special”
Posted by Michael David Smith on May 9, 2013, 11:53 AM EDT

LeCharles Bentley, the former Pro Bowl center for the Saints, now works as a personal trainer specializing in getting offensive linemen into NFL shape. And he says he hasn’t seen many linemen like Lions rookie Larry Warford.

Bentley told Dave Birkett of the Detroit Free Press that as soon as Warford’s senior season at Kentucky ended last year, he moved to Arizona to train with Bentley. And when the holidays came around, that’s when Bentley realized what kind of work ethic Warford has.

“Larry says, ‘Hey, we’re training on Christmas, right?’ Wow,” Bentley recalled of Warford insisting he didn’t want any days off. “He could have gone and ate cake and stuff and had a good old time on Christmas Day, but Larry Warford wanted to come into the gym and work on Christmas Day. And not do arms and not do upper body, he wanted to do legs. There aren’t many players that want to train legs on any given day, especially on Christmas Day.”

So Warford and Bentley spent Christmas Day together, doing squats and watching film.

“At that point in time, I said, ‘OK, there’s something here that can be pretty special,’” Bentley said.

Warford also cleaned up his diet while working with Bentley, and although Warford is a naturally enormous man who will never be thin, he got down to 330 pounds, after being listed at Kentucky at 343.

“He’s never going to look like a running back,” Bentley said of Warford. “That’s just the reality. He’s never going to look like Calvin Johnson, that’s just genetically what he is. He’s an endomorph in terms of his body composition, and that’s just genetics. But he can be the best looking endomorph he can be. He can be the best that he can be, and he’s not there yet, but I can guarantee you he’s going to be there.”

The Lions, who lost three starters from last year’s offensive line and didn’t sign anyone to replace them, need Warford to be there right away. Bentley is helping make that happen.


Link to the freep article http://www.freep.com/article/20130509/SPORTS01/305090090/detroit-lions-larry-warford

This kid seems pretty special, even his combine and pre-draft interviews are great.


That's awesome... It's about time we hit on a post 2nd round pick. Hopefully he pans out for us.


May 9th, 2013, 12:18 pm
Online
NFL Veteran

Joined: November 28th, 2007, 12:50 pm
Posts: 1369
Location: Newport Beach, Ca
Post Re: 3rd Round Pick @ #65 - Larry Warford G Kentucy




I'll be really disappointed if he doesn't succeed. He has the physical tools, great work ethic, and studies. If they can't get this kid starting, it's time for a new coaching staff.


May 9th, 2013, 12:28 pm
Profile
Butkus Award Winner

Joined: July 3rd, 2012, 2:06 am
Posts: 649
Post Re: 3rd Round Pick @ #65 - Larry Warford G Kentucy
I have nothing bad to say about this guy. He's a bulldozer, he wants to do anything to keep improving, and I see him consistently being not a amazing guard, but a Pro Bowl, reliable, blue-chip guard, which is more than good enough. If he gets ALL of his issues fixed All-Pro isn't out of the question for him.

Watching some of his tape, almost every bad play is because he is confused. He'll hold up against good pass-rushers, but then take himself out of the play and allow his RB to get tackled. He'll be confused as to who to block when needed during run plays. Little things like that that can be corrected by a good Offensive line coach.

_________________
Image


May 9th, 2013, 2:16 pm
Profile
Hall of Fame Player
User avatar

Joined: May 7th, 2005, 3:25 pm
Posts: 7362
Location: Earth/Sagittarius Dwarf Galaxy
Post Re: 3rd Round Pick @ #65 - Larry Warford G Kentucy
Going into the draft, this was the guy I most wanted to be there for us in the 3rd round. To me, this was an absolute no brainer pick. I don't believe that there is really all that mucj of a drop off between Warmac and Warford. Warmac just played for a higher profile college program.


May 10th, 2013, 9:50 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: DayDreamer, Grink, rao and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.