View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently August 31st, 2014, 6:14 am

Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Redskins name change: DC council member proposes team change 
Post Redskins name change: DC council member proposes team change
Have we reached a point where we should be able to throw these idiots out of office mid-term much more easily?

Quote:
Councilmember David Grosso (GRAH'-so), an at-large independent, says the name is "racist and derogatory," and that "it's time to make a change."

Grosso says a majority of his fellow councilmembers have agreed to co-sponsor the nonbinding resolution.

The team's nickname has been the subject of renewed debate in recent months. A group of Native Americans has launched a new court battle to deny the team federal trademark protection, which would essentially force a name change.

Grosso's resolution suggests "Redtails" as a new nickname. He says it would honor the Tuskegee Airmen and allow the team to maintain its fight song and color scheme with a few minor changes.

April 30th, 2013, 9:53 pm
Team MVP

Post Re: Redskins name change: DC council member proposes team ch
Whats wrong with this world.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

April 30th, 2013, 9:57 pm
NFL Veteran

It's too bad this is coming from a government official, IMO it's not a bad idea.

April 30th, 2013, 10:15 pm
rao wrote:
It's too bad this is coming from a government official, IMO it's not a bad idea.

I have two problems with it:
1) I happen to know a lot of American Indian people that are fans of the Redskins and the Cleaveland Indians because they feel a connection to them; and

2) It's a PRIVATE BUSINESS!!!

Obviously there isn't much dissension, and it's certainly not cutting into their profits, or they would have already done something. IMO this is a ridiculous over-step of Govt. Authority. I wonder if they're willing to pay the millions of dollars a name change is going to cost??? But at this point it wouldn't surprise me if they were (willing), and it wouldn't surprise me if they did... Stupid!

April 30th, 2013, 10:30 pm
NFL Veteran

wjb21ndtown wrote:
rao wrote:

1) I happen to know a lot of American Indian people that are fans of the Redskins and the Cleaveland Indians because they feel a connection to them; and

Obviously there isn't much dissension, and it's certainly not cutting into their profits, or they would have already done something. IMO this is a ridiculous over-step of Govt. Authority. I wonder if they're willing to pay the millions of dollars a name change is going to cost??? But at this point it wouldn't surprise me if they were (willing), and it wouldn't surprise me if they did... Stupid!

I've have heard that there is a large contingent of Native American people that take pride in the name. I'm not Native American so I'm pretty impartial on the whole should they shouldn't thing with the name. I can understand both sides since I'm a minority myself and there have been similar issues that would include me. I find the government getting involved totally stupid though. The only way I could see it as a government issue was if there was some national out cry by the vast majority(and I mean VAST) of the Native American people and nothing was done by the team.

I just like the name and it's actually an animal found all over North America. They should save it for an expansion team.

April 30th, 2013, 11:23 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

FWIW.. I am part Native American and it doesn't bother me.

NEVER GIVE UP!

May 1st, 2013, 11:14 am
rao wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
rao wrote:

I've have heard that there is a large contingent of Native American people that take pride in the name. I'm not Native American so I'm pretty impartial on the whole should they shouldn't thing with the name. I can understand both sides since I'm a minority myself and there have been similar issues that would include me. I find the government getting involved totally stupid though. The only way I could see it as a government issue was if there was some national out cry by the vast majority(and I mean VAST) of the Native American people and nothing was done by the team.

I just like the name and it's actually an animal found all over North America. They should save it for an expansion team.

That "pride" has actually been noted in at least a few movies and TV episodes (not that it makes it "real," but it does add to the auora of it all, and helps aid people that would otherwise be offended to respect it)... And I think it's great that they play the cowboys twice a year... Just sort of a natural rivalry....

That said, I agree with you that at least the Native American community at large should lead the charge on this issue, should their ever be one.

May 1st, 2013, 11:24 am

Agreed. Is Something Racists/Sexist/Etc if the people being "targeted" by the name/comment/etc don't find it to be Racist/Offensive/etc?

Not in my book, its just the Politically Correct side of people trying to dominate everything. If the Native Americans were up in arms about it, it would be entirely another story.

That said, I think the name Redtails is awesome, so if they ever changed it that would be a pretty sweet name to go to. Then again I love war Nicknames , and wouldnt be offended if there was a team named the Kamikazie's so its pretty obvious I don't have a PC bone in my body.

May 1st, 2013, 12:57 pm
Profile ICQ WWW

The name is ridiculous in 2013. Time to go. And why do the teams never go on about being a "private business" when it's time to drum up funding for a new stadium?

May 3rd, 2013, 10:17 pm
RIP Killer

DJ-B wrote:
Agreed. Is Something Racists/Sexist/Etc if the people being "targeted" by the name/comment/etc don't find it to be Racist/Offensive/etc?

Not in my book, its just the Politically Correct side of people trying to dominate everything. If the Native Americans were up in arms about it, it would be entirely another story.

That said, I think the name Redtails is awesome, so if they ever changed it that would be a pretty sweet name to go to. Then again I love war Nicknames , and wouldnt be offended if there was a team named the Kamikazie's so its pretty obvious I don't have a PC bone in my body.

Just because you don't hear it, doesn't mean it doesn't exist. It is an issue in the native community and has been for years. This battle has been fought and lost many times. It's been won at the high school level for the most part, but not so much in the collegiate or pro levels. Too much money to throw around.

FYI, there's no pride by the name. So whoever said that is out to lunch.

May 4th, 2013, 12:33 am
NFL Veteran

conversion02 wrote:
DJ-B wrote:

Just because you don't hear it, doesn't mean it doesn't exist. It is an issue in the native community and has been for years. This battle has been fought and lost many times. It's been won at the high school level for the most part, but not so much in the collegiate or pro levels. Too much money to throw around.

If those statements are true for the majority of Native American people, then the name needs to be changed now. They shouldn't need national support or anything like that, it's just common sense to change a name that is considered a racial slur. Now if Dan Snyder knows this and is ignoring it, I feel fine about the government stepping in on the issue.

You can still put me down as one vote for Redtails, it's a great name to transition into.

May 4th, 2013, 9:23 am
Hall of Fame Player

conversion02 wrote:
DJ-B wrote:

2 High Schools within 20 miles of each other use the Redskins Moniker where I live. Belding and Saranac. So, it has not been totally won at the high school level.

May 4th, 2013, 9:39 am
Hall of Fame Player

rao wrote:
conversion02 wrote:
DJ-B wrote:

If those statements are true for the majority of Native American people, then the name needs to be changed now. They shouldn't need national support or anything like that, it's just common sense to change a name that is considered a racial slur. Now if Dan Snyder knows this and is ignoring it, I feel fine about the government stepping in on the issue.

You can still put me down as one vote for Redtails, it's a great name to transition into.

Too many hyper sensitive liberals with nothing better to do.

May 4th, 2013, 9:43 am
Mr. Irrelevant

There are many ways to discuss this whether you agree with the name or you don't. But in some people's eys, it's basically like having a team called the "Ni***rs". It's hard to imagine a franchise with that kind of identity existing in today's society. That would be overt racism.

But with the Redskins, it is a little different because anyone can say "Oh they're just trying to honor First People (that's the new PC phrase for Native American), they're not hurting anybody." That's the thing though. No one really knows for sure if that's actually the case or if they're openly trying to oppress First People. Whites have had a long history of oppressing subordinate groups and they've had a lot of time to practice to get good at it. This could just be an innocent mistake or a deliberate attempt to skew the perception of First People. Because of that "mystery", so to speak, you can't really say definitively if it actually has racist intentions. That's part of the strategy.

To play devil's advocate though, what about Notre Dame's nickname? The Fighting Irish? That nickname paints a pretty poor and stereotypical picture of a person with Irish heritage. Though Irish people have had their share of oppression in history, they're still white and that puts them on top of the social pecking order. What were the intentions behind that name? How does that honor or bring pride to their social group?

It's a debateable topic, to be sure. Social justice is an interesting field.

May 4th, 2013, 3:46 pm
NFL Veteran

BillySims wrote:
rao wrote:
conversion02 wrote:
DJ-B wrote:

Too many hyper sensitive liberals with nothing better to do.

Hypersensitive or not, it does not invalidate the need for a name change if it is a racial slur.

May 4th, 2013, 4:21 pm
Reply to topic   [ 77 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next