View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 18th, 2014, 7:51 am

Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Joey Getting Cut? Hmmm.... 
Bubbles the Lion

Post Joey Getting Cut? Hmmm....
I know some people don't find Killer trustworthy, but according to him, the Lions are considering cutting Joey next month...

http://www.mlive.com/lions/stories/inde ... 104850.xml

January 12th, 2005, 7:54 am
RIP Killer

I just heard this news on WDFN, and Killer Kowalski was interviewed. The statement is that Sherman Lewis sent a letter to the Ford family and has stated that the coaching staff is not a Joey fan. They feel that the Lions should move in a different direction at quarterback, based on the idea that Harrington will never be a true leader and doesn't have what it takes to lead the team to a Super Bowl. The reason that Harrington may get the axe is due to his being due a 3 million dollar roster bonus in March, plus he is due a salary of just under 5 million. They can cut him and save 2.75 million dollars overall.

My question is, When in the Hell are the Lions going to allow a quarterback to settle in? I have not been a huge Harrington supporter, but I understand the fact that his surrounding cast hasn't exactly been Super Bowl caliber either. If the Lions truly want to take themselves to the Super Bowl, they would be better off upgrading their defense. I feel ultimately Harrington will be a better quarterback than either Trent Dilfer or Brad Johnson, and they won Super Bowls on teams with great defenses. Based on performance in 2004, the Lions should consider cutting some other players as well. Players like Fernando Bryant and Dan Wilkinson didn't have years that support their salaries. Bryant was especially poor given the fact that earlier in the year he was given a 7.5 million dollar signing bonus. The Lions never addressed the lack of talent at safety, and Mariucci never allowed Holt to start and log more significant playing time, despite injuries and poor play by both Bracy Walker and Brock Marion. And what about Az Hakim, has he fulfilled the value of the contract he signed with the team? He hasn't even come close. I don't think Kalimba Edwards has been getting the job done, but I don't read anything about the Lions considering cutting him.

I think the Lions need to look at the fact that getting a replacement for Harrington in the form of a veteran will cost them long term, and that getting a rookie will cost them more money and will put them back to square one. Not every college quarterback is Ben Roethlisberger.
A statement was made that the offense is going to change and be more aggressive, featuring more downfield passing. The Lions have used this dreary offensive scheme for the past four years, and now they want to install a more vertical offense using a quarterback unfamiliar with the system and the terminology. Trust me, if they go after Jeff Garcia, who is rumored to be on the chopping block in Cleveland, he won't get it done either. Millen is supposedly the only person who is responsible for the decision, and he is the sole supporter of keeping Harrington. To his credit he is listening to his coaching staff and taking their words into consideration. I feel he needs to ignore them, get a seasoned veteran to push Joey, and Joey will respond.

January 12th, 2005, 9:15 am
Modmin Dude

Oh goodie, looks like we can sit back and enjoy another 3-4 years of 'rebuilding' if he gets cut. :roll:

January 12th, 2005, 10:10 am
Fair Weather Fan

Oh goodie, looks like we can sit back and enjoy another 3-4 years of 'rebuilding' if he gets cut. :roll:

These are my thought exactly except that I waiting for it to come from one of those die hard Harrington bashers. You don't cut someone unless you have a better player to take his place, we don't.

January 12th, 2005, 10:18 am
RIP Killer

Thanks for posting the link to the Killer article Bonita.

I agree with what a few have already said, the Lions need to stick with a QB already and if they are going to cut Joey - who are they going to bring in that is better. Nobody wants to go through rebuilding again.

Before this is asked again, I pulled this from an earlier thread that discusses the CAP situation if Joey is cut.

Quote:
How big of a cap hit will the Lions take if they cut Harrington in the offseason?

This is a complicated answer but I'll try to keep it simple. Harrington had two bonuses; $10M up front with an additional $3M roster bonus - all of this has been paid.

The $10M is calulated against the cap over 7 years or $1.42M per year. With 4 years left, the cap hit would be $5.7M due to the way the bonus is accelerated when a player is cut.

BUT, if Detroit doesn't cut Joey until after 6/1/05 another year comes off AND the cap hit wouldn't take place until 2006. The cap hit would equal $4.2 for the bonus BUT the Lions would be saving the $4.45 in base salary he is do. So the Lions would save about $250K by my calcs in 2006. That's not to mention the cap space opened up by the removal of Joeys base in the other 2 years when the cap hit doesn't apply - that's how they can go after a FA QB.

In addition, since the league renegotiated contracts with CBS, FOX and ESPN the cap will be going up.

January 12th, 2005, 10:39 am
Profile WWW
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Killer is just wierd. Although I am a Joey hater, there is no way we bring in a new qb just for the starting postion. Joey will be able to do just enough to get us as far as we can go with the team we had. Look at Baltimore. Trent did just enough. We can't waste all the talent on a rookie qb who will take 3 years to learn the system. We need a vet to light a fire under joey's rear.

January 12th, 2005, 10:56 am
Profile WWW
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

My god what the hell would they be thinking!!! Just set us back another three years.

January 12th, 2005, 10:58 am
Modmin Dude

We can't waste all the talent on a rookie qb who will take 3 years to learn the system. We need a vet to light a fire under joey's rear.
Couldn't agree more. If we were able to bring in Garcia to challenge/mentor Joey, I think that might be one of the best possible senarios

January 12th, 2005, 10:58 am
Site Admin

Here is the free agent QB list from the article the other day with my highly analytical thoughts next to them...

Tony Banks - UFA - Texans - sucks
Charlie Batch - UFA - Steelers - speedy lol
Jeff Blake - UFA - Eagles - always sounds decent but never sticks
Drew Brees - UFA - Chargers - too much $$ for 1 year
Todd Collins - UFA - Chiefs - sucks
Ty Detmer - UFA - Falcons - 7 ints
Gus Frerotte - UFA - Vikings - old washedup backup
Josh Harris - ERFA - Ravens - who?
Matt Hasselbeck - UFA - Seahawks - no
Tim Hasselbeck - ERFA - Redskins - sucks
Shaun Hill - ERFA - Vikings - who?
Kelly Holcomb - UFA - Browns - maybe but wouldn't rely on him
Damon Huard - UFA - Chiefs - sucks
Brock Huard - UFA - Seahawks - sucks
Shane Matthews - UFA - Bills - sucks
Matt Mauck - ERFA - Broncos - who
Josh McCown - RFA - Cardinals - no thanks
Mike McMahon - UFA - Lions - here
Jim Miller - UFA - Patriots - old + sucks
Rick Mirer - UFA - Lions - OMG please no
Craig Nall - RFA - Packers - who?
Jesse Palmer - UFA - Giants - Rosie Palmer no thanks
Doug Pederson - UFA - Packers - no
David Rivers - ERFA - Raiders - who?
Sage Rosenfels - UFA - Dolphins - Guys are not named Sage
Rod Rutherford - ERFA - Panthers - next
Kordell Stewart - UFA - Ravens - no way...we don't need cryers
Vinny Testaverde - UFA - Cowboys - need a walker???
Bradlee Van Pelt - ERFA - Broncos - sounds like a French Fur Trader

I am sorry but I wouldn't really trade places with any of these folks outside of Brees but that is based on one good season and he would probably break the bank. The rest are old washed up and 99% of them have played in Chicago (lmao really seems that way) or total unknowns. Call me a slappy but I would rather have McMike still here than 99.9% of these guys. Yes I would take Kitna and Brees but after that really who is a proven step up. Hasslebeck will probably be resigned I would gander as well. Anyways...although I have been dissappointed with Joey there is no big guns that are really sure fire worth it. To me the question is who will backup not get rid of Joey. The only reason they would do that is if they were in love with Mike and they proved that wasn't the case by not playing him the last few games. Thoughts...feelings...confessions???

BTW...wasn't Sherm cut????

January 12th, 2005, 11:14 am
Profile WWW
Bubbles the Lion

Well, Killer did amend the article to say that the roster bonus isn't due until July, so that makes it very much plausible that they could cut him.

Get a FA QB in March, draft a QB to develop with a later pick, and you're good to go. Just need a backup - they could keep McMike.

I hate to say it, but if the article is somewhat true, and the roster bonus isn't til July, if they were to want to get rid of him now would be the time to do it, especially with a new OC coming in...

January 12th, 2005, 11:47 am
All State

not an impressive list of free agent qbs. if the lions are that concerned with joey, spend a relatively high 2-3 round draft pick on a qb and groom him for the future why your seeing if joey develops or not. bring in a cheap backup who can tutor both and play spot duty when needed.

if this is true, i don't know what the lions are thinking about.

January 12th, 2005, 11:47 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin

(que the Broken Record) Still no matter what...you have to admit that Mike is MUCH more closely a Mooch-type QB than Joey. Sherms note is not a big surprise at all...I never felt Mooch really backed Mike like other Coachs would have. Marty used to stick up for Joey all the time but Mooch doesn't really ever prop him up. Call me "CRAZY" but keep Joey, bring in Holcomb and bring back Mike and may the best man win. Mike and Kelly should be fairly cheap and if the training camp is opened with all QBs understanding that its anyones team then it would be a damn interesting year. It would be like an old fashioned Royal Rumble!!!

January 12th, 2005, 12:00 pm
Profile WWW
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

If I was Mike I would not come back. I would take my chances with FA.

January 12th, 2005, 12:53 pm
Modmin Dude

Call me "CRAZY" but keep Joey, bring in Holcomb and bring back Mike and may the best man win. Mike and Kelly should be fairly cheap and if the training camp is opened with all QBs understanding that its anyones team then it would be a damn interesting year. It would be like an old fashioned Royal Rumble!!!
Sounds like a plan to me. Maybe even bring in Garcia to compete as well as draft a QB...let them all compete and the best 3 make the team.

January 12th, 2005, 1:07 pm
RIP Killer

McMahon won't come back if Harrington is still here because he knows Millen likes Joey. Kelly Holcomb is the best veteran free agent to serve as a backup to Joey and push him. Garcia and Warner just don't have 'it' anymore. I'm sure that if McMike goes into free agency, a team like Atlanta wouldn't mind taking a chance on him because his style is similar to that of Vick. If the roster bonus isn't due until July, that means the Lions could wait until AFTER June 1st if they want to cut Joey and be able to save on the cap hit this year and still save on the roster bonus and salary for 2005. I still say keep him and renegotiate with him to either waive the bonus or roll it into additional salary over the last years of his contract in 2006 and 2007.

January 12th, 2005, 1:29 pm
Reply to topic   [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next