View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently December 20th, 2014, 5:45 am

Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Tim Tebow, Lions H-back 
Heisman Winner

Post Re: Tim Tebow, Lions H-back
wjb21ndtown wrote:
I actually wouldn't mind the signing. We could dump Hill, who, IMO adds nothing to this team at this point (and by dumping Hill I mean get something for him before the trade deadline... I do think there is a team that would give up a 2014 5th round pick for a good solid backup, or possibly even look at him as a starter, while they're grooming a rookie. He has good numbers.) He can play H-back and TE, and be our backup Qb. As a backup Qb he can win games. Why not?

If that were the case why didn't the Jets get a 5th for Tebow?

April 30th, 2013, 9:27 pm
aManNamedSuh wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
I actually wouldn't mind the signing. We could dump Hill, who, IMO adds nothing to this team at this point (and by dumping Hill I mean get something for him before the trade deadline... I do think there is a team that would give up a 2014 5th round pick for a good solid backup, or possibly even look at him as a starter, while they're grooming a rookie. He has good numbers.) He can play H-back and TE, and be our backup Qb. As a backup Qb he can win games. Why not?

Because Tebow sucks, and he's not a good Qb.

April 30th, 2013, 9:31 pm
ST Coordinator – John Bonamego

I dont understand the Shaun Hill bashing. He s a competent player who can give a solid effort, he s a great backup in my opinion. Teams reportedly were asking Tebow if he d be willing to play a HBack/TE role and to this point he has refused. Tebow would be a marginal add to the Lions unless at a different position than QB, since he d be the No 3 at best.

April 30th, 2013, 11:35 pm
QB Coach

wjb21ndtown wrote:
aManNamedSuh wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:

Exactly. wjb, did you really say that Tebow has good numbers? Really? The guy doesn't even complete 50% of his passes, and he couldn't beat out Sanchez. If memory serves, last year Sanchez had the 2nd worst QBR in the NFL. The only person worse was Tebow.

No thanks.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson

May 1st, 2013, 12:03 am
Touchdown Jesus wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
aManNamedSuh wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:

Exactly. wjb, did you really say that Tebow has good numbers? Really? The guy doesn't even complete 50% of his passes, and he couldn't beat out Sanchez. If memory serves, last year Sanchez had the 2nd worst QBR in the NFL. The only person worse was Tebow.

No thanks.

I said Shaun Hill put up good numbers.

May 1st, 2013, 2:30 am
The Legend wrote:
I dont understand the Shaun Hill bashing. He s a competent player who can give a solid effort, he s a great backup in my opinion. Teams reportedly were asking Tebow if he d be willing to play a HBack/TE role and to this point he has refused. Tebow would be a marginal add to the Lions unless at a different position than QB, since he d be the No 3 at best.

My complaint isn't with the player, in fact, it's sort of a compliment to him. I'm saying he would be a good backup on a solid team with a real chance of going to the SB, or a good starter on a team that wants to sit a rookie for a 1/2 season, and give him someone to mentor.

I just think it's stupid to pay Shaun Hill $1M + to ride the pine for us, while 1) we're missing competent starters, 2) we could be "developing" a Qb (even Tebow could you use some coaching), and 3) we're not a playoff team regardless. Shaun Hill isn't going to make or break us either way, and he's not going to be around at a time when he could. Cut ties and make a good career move for Hill, and a good organizational move for us.

My biggest knock on brining Tebow in is the religious side-show he brings. There would be no Qb controversy.

May 1st, 2013, 2:33 am
QB Coach

wjb21ndtown wrote:
I said Shaun Hill put up good numbers.

Oops, my fault. I read it too quickly the first time and misunderstood. Now I get what you were saying. Nothing to see here... :blush:

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson

May 1st, 2013, 2:39 am
QB Coach

Tebow had his moment to shine in Denver, and since that time the media has gone around doing it's best to destroy the man, while the tout the sexual habits of Collins. Tim's religious beliefs are his own, and he does what he does between Him and God but not for worship by the media or the public.

Having said that, I believe there would STILL be a media circus following him, and trying to discover something that will discredit him. He had his moment, it's done, and it is time to move on. But because he is very strong and unwavering in his faith, this makes him a target.

Look how quickly the rise and fall of the Knicks player happened when it was discovered he is a Christian. Although he didn't "Tebow" on the court, you knew what he stood for. But, because there wasn't any extra excitement, the media moved on.

Now we're celebrating an unnatural, alternative lifestyle and the influence this is having on many young minds in our nation is sad. But as for Tebow, it would probably be in his best interest to retire and use his status to work the mission field and draw attention to causes that help people in need, and not the football field.

2 Chronicles 10:14, "if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land."

May 1st, 2013, 8:17 am
RIP Killer

WarEr4Christ wrote:
Tebow had his moment to shine in Denver, and since that time the media has gone around doing it's best to destroy the man, while the tout the sexual habits of Collins. Tim's religious beliefs are his own, and he does what he does between Him and God but not for worship by the media or the public.

Having said that, I believe there would STILL be a media circus following him, and trying to discover something that will discredit him. He had his moment, it's done, and it is time to move on. But because he is very strong and unwavering in his faith, this makes him a target.

Look how quickly the rise and fall of the Knicks player happened when it was discovered he is a Christian. Although he didn't "Tebow" on the court, you knew what he stood for. But, because there wasn't any extra excitement, the media moved on.

Now we're celebrating an unnatural, alternative lifestyle and the influence this is having on many young minds in our nation is sad. But as for Tebow, it would probably be in his best interest to retire and use his status to work the mission field and draw attention to causes that help people in need, and not the football field.

The media isn't trying to destroy Tebow, this is about football and ability. Tebow was still a first round draft pick, he was still given a great opportunity - bottom line is, however, they guy still doesn't throw a football like a quality NFL QB. You can't blame that on the media.

His faith doesn't make him a target, it is his football history and unique abilities which football minds can't quite figure out how to utilize. There have been many situations in sports in which a player, for many different reasons, are followed closely by the media. Their faith isn't an issue. Kurt Warner, Reggie White, and many others were well known for their faith - I didn't see the media trying to "destroy" them.

Once again, however, if you are looking for something - you will see it whether it exist or not. This is about football ability, not faith - if the Lions feel like he can really help the team then I'm sure they will kick the tires - faith would have nothing to do with it.

Now, can we get back to taking about his ability and leave the man to his faith and stop making it an issue when it has nothing to do with things.

May 1st, 2013, 9:43 am
Profile WWW
Heisman Winner

wjb21ndtown wrote:
aManNamedSuh wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:

I just thinking it's a horrible idea to bring in a player who sucks at a position to back up an injury prone QB.

May 1st, 2013, 9:46 am
Pablo wrote:
WarEr4Christ wrote:

The media isn't trying to destroy Tebow, this is about football and ability. Tebow was still a first round draft pick, he was still given a great opportunity - bottom line is, however, they guy still doesn't throw a football like a quality NFL QB. You can't blame that on the media.

His faith doesn't make him a target, it is his football history and unique abilities which football minds can't quite figure out how to utilize. There have been many situations in sports in which a player, for many different reasons, are followed closely by the media. Their faith isn't an issue. Kurt Warner, Reggie White, and many others were well known for their faith - I didn't see the media trying to "destroy" them.

Once again, however, if you are looking for something - you will see it whether it exist or not. This is about football ability, not faith - if the Lions feel like he can really help the team then I'm sure they will kick the tires - faith would have nothing to do with it.

Now, can we get back to taking about his ability and leave the man to his faith and stop making it an issue when it has nothing to do with things.

I don't think his "faith" makes him a target, but his openness about his faith, does.

WFC, you can't say that Tebow's faith is only between him and God when he's going around making public displays of it every chance he gets. The whole "Tebowing" thing got started from him praying after every touchdown, in an open manner, in front of hundreds of thousands of people. Like it or not, people are intolerant of other people's religious beliefs, and they don't want depictions of other people's religions shoved down their throats.

That said, Kitna was almost as open and public about his religious practices as Tebow is, and he did well here.

aMNS - 1) I don't think Stafford is injury prone per se, I just think he had a rough couple of years. IMO it would take two more seasons of being injured to say he's prone. He's not like Delmas or Best who's never been able to stay healthy, and 2) I don't care that Tebow is a crappy Qb. He can win football games, and that's all you ask from your backup Qb. He would be asked to be a spot duty player, and his record in spot duty situations is very good.

May 1st, 2013, 10:02 am
QB Coach

wjb21ndtown wrote:
I don't think his "faith" makes him a target, but his openness about his faith, does.

WFC, you can't say that Tebow's faith is only between him and God when he's going around making public displays of it every chance he gets. The whole "Tebowing" thing got started from him praying after every touchdown, in an open manner, in front of hundreds of thousands of people. Like it or not, people are intolerant of other people's religious beliefs, and they don't want depictions of other people's religions shoved down their throats.

That said, Kitna was almost as open and public about his religious practices as Tebow is, and he did well here.

aMNS - 1) I don't think Stafford is injury prone per se, I just think he had a rough couple of years. IMO it would take two more seasons of being injured to say he's prone. He's not like Delmas or Best who's never been able to stay healthy, and 2) I don't care that Tebow is a crappy Qb. He can win football games, and that's all you ask from your backup Qb. He would be asked to be a spot duty player, and his record in spot duty situations is very good.

I just don't agree with the bold part. People always bring this up and say he just wins. Not really when you actually look into it. In the times he has played, he mostly beat bad teams. Look at his time in Denver. His rookie year he beat (I say that meaning he was the starting QB when the team won a game) Houston, a team that was 5-10. In his 2nd year, he beat 1 team with a winning record (Cincy, who was 9-7). That year they also lost to 6-10 Buffalo and 7-9 KC. Most of his wins are not against good teams. Denver had a very favorable schedule, and he managed to win games. Usually not convincingly, but he won. The thing that Tebow has that I like is he seems to have that instinct that you want in players to be able to lead teams from behind. That is a vital skill, and is one attribute that separates the good from great/elite players. But, to be considered in that pantheon a player also has to have the physical tools. Tebow does not have those. I think mentally and in regards to intangibles, he's got it all. But he doesn't have the physical skills or tools to be a successful NFL QB.

May 1st, 2013, 10:38 am
#1 Overall Pick

wjb21ndtown wrote:
Pablo wrote:
WarEr4Christ wrote:

Kitna never had the popularity at any point in his career that Tebow had coming out of college. People outside of football didn't know who Kitna was.

Tebow won those football games with an ok defense and a strong running game, both are thing the Lions don't have. Denver basically ran a read option for the first 3 quarters and then in the 4th Tebow would let it rip and for what ever reason the opposing defenses would leave receivers wide open. Tebow would probably work in MIN or another similar team but Linehan couldn't adjust this offense enough for him to work. The Lions don't have the personnel on offense for Tebow.

May 1st, 2013, 10:51 am
rao wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
Pablo wrote:
WarEr4Christ wrote:

Kitna never had the popularity at any point in his career that Tebow had coming out of college. People outside of football didn't know who Kitna was.

Tebow won those football games with an ok defense and a strong running game, both are thing the Lions don't have. Denver basically ran a read option for the first 3 quarters and then in the 4th Tebow would let it rip and for what ever reason the opposing defenses would leave receivers wide open. Tebow would probably work in MIN or another similar team but Linehan couldn't adjust this offense enough for him to work. The Lions don't have the personnel on offense for Tebow.

With Warford, Nagy, and the more aggressive Reiff at OT, I don't see why you don't think we could have a decent ground game, especially with a running Qb. If our D isn't at least "decent," it won't matter who we put back there. Like I said, it's a back up Qb, it's not like you're going to have a world beater back there, may as well save some money and sign a guy that can play 3 positions, IMO.

May 1st, 2013, 11:03 am
Rookie Player of the Year

If he could man up and accept a position switch like Denard did, I'm sure he would've caught on somewhere by now. Instead, he apparently still thinks that magical Jesus dust makes him a starting NFL QB.

May 1st, 2013, 11:12 am
Reply to topic   [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next