View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently July 29th, 2014, 11:02 pm

Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 Post Your 2013 Lions Draft Grades 
RIP Killer

Post Re: Post Your 2013 Lions Draft Grades
rao wrote:
Slay is like 5'11'' and 7/8. Most places just list him as 6'. The only CB taken in the 2nd round bigger than him was Amerson and he didn't play press in college either. Slay shouldn't have a problem learning to play press and has nice long arms to help along with great recovery speed. I think Jamar Taylor was the only 2nd round press guy and he's only 5' 10 1/2''. Also every thing I've seen on Slay said he was a very physical CB, unafraid to tackle and likes to use his hands on receivers. His team just didn't use press coverage much, Banks didn't play it very often either.

Ummm...Johnathan Banks is bigger and more physical a player than Slay, and was taken seven picks later.

And I think you are just kind of skipping over my point about a PHYSICAL style corner, which is what I went into depth about in my previous post. Chris Houston is a finesse type corner. People complain about it, that our corners play off the receivers too much. But the Lions just selected pretty much a faster version of Chris Houston. Houston has speed to keep up with most number one receivers, but struggles against more physical receivers. It was why the Lions were big on Aaron Berry. He was a big corner that relished the physical game. Too bad he turned out to be such a tool.

April 30th, 2013, 11:59 am
NFL Veteran

m2karateman wrote:
rao wrote:
Slay is like 5'11'' and 7/8. Most places just list him as 6'. The only CB taken in the 2nd round bigger than him was Amerson and he didn't play press in college either. Slay shouldn't have a problem learning to play press and has nice long arms to help along with great recovery speed. I think Jamar Taylor was the only 2nd round press guy and he's only 5' 10 1/2''. Also every thing I've seen on Slay said he was a very physical CB, unafraid to tackle and likes to use his hands on receivers. His team just didn't use press coverage much, Banks didn't play it very often either.

Ummm...Johnathan Banks is bigger and more physical a player than Slay, and was taken seven picks later.

And I think you are just kind of skipping over my point about a PHYSICAL style corner, which is what I went into depth about in my previous post. Chris Houston is a finesse type corner. People complain about it, that our corners play off the receivers too much. But the Lions just selected pretty much a faster version of Chris Houston. Houston has speed to keep up with most number one receivers, but struggles against more physical receivers. It was why the Lions were big on Aaron Berry. He was a big corner that relished the physical game. Too bad he turned out to be such a tool.

Banks is not bigger. He is taller, thinner, and lighter than Slay.

Neither Banks or Slay pushed anyone around at the line because they played mostly off-man coverage, but both were good at affecting receivers in their routes with their long arms and aggressive play. Banks has slight edge in physicality being a former safety and is a better blitzer, but Slay never shied away from contact and is just as suited to become a press man corner as Banks. They are not that different of players, Banks will get bigger but if he loses anymore speed he's going to end up at safety he 10-15 lbs lighter than most other physical corners were coming out of college.

April 30th, 2013, 12:46 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

It's definitely a wait and see pick with Slay just like Ansah, but at least Slay has a bit more to go off of as far as game tape. If they wanted stronger more physical CBs I really liked Logan Ryan to fill that role and liked Blidi Wreh-Wilson as well and both went much later. Neither one is a true burner like Slay but are quick, strong at the LOS, and would help the defense against those quick hitters that have burnt the Lions the past few seasons. I don't hate the Slay pick by any means, but I wonder if they were wowed by the 40 time and overlooked the rest of the equation? I hope for once Mayhew made the right pick with most of these guys and shows he can get one right besides the "Duh" picks like CJ, Stafford, and Suh.

April 30th, 2013, 10:48 pm
Veteran General Manager

m2karateman wrote:
rao wrote:

Johnathan Banks claims that him and Slay played exclusively press man full the time. At least that's what he said in an interview with Pat Kirwan before the draft.

May 1st, 2013, 8:30 pm
Varsity Benchwarmer

Last year Banks posted 4INTs with a QBR against of 115 and 75% of passes completed against. He ran a 4.61 at the combine.

Slay posted 5INTs with a QBR against of 75 and 54% of passes completed against.

Combine comparison; Antoine Cason.

#1 40 amongst DBs 4.36
14 reps
35.5" vert
10'4" broad jump
6.9 3cone
4.21 20yd shuttle

According to NFL.com he was considered one of the top press corners in the draft due to his stocky build, strength, and physical style of play. He measured 6' 0/8" and 192lbs at the combine.

May 1st, 2013, 11:04 pm
NFL Veteran

BillySims wrote:
m2karateman wrote:
rao wrote:

Johnathan Banks claims that him and Slay played exclusively press man full the time. At least that's what he said in an interview with Pat Kirwan before the draft.

I kept reading they played off man, but if that's what he said I would believe the player over scouting reports.

May 1st, 2013, 11:48 pm
Reply to topic   [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4