View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 22nd, 2014, 8:03 pm



Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Lions' Riley Reiff will start at left tackle after all 
Author Message
League MVP

Joined: February 11th, 2005, 3:01 pm
Posts: 3692
Location: WSU
Post Re: Lions' Riley Reiff will start at left tackle after all
rao wrote:
The Legend wrote:
rao wrote:
If I were Mayhew I would be giving Philly a jingle. Jason Peters is said to be looking fine after his injury and it would only cost the Eagles 800k to move his $10M cap hit. If the Lions could workout a small extension with him before the trade, so he can get some guaranteed money and significantly reduce his cap number it could be worth it. If Philly is going to move to a more uptempo style I don't see anyway Peters is going to fit for them and he would be a nice anchor on the left for 3 more seasons I'm sure.

This would still Require Staff to get restructured though.


i dont understand why peters wouldnt fit in a more uptempo scheme? have you seen the way this guy can move? he s one of the most athletic OTs around. the way he can move and block on the 2nd level is pretty impressive. if he s healthy, he d be a great pickup.


I'm not concerned with his ability to get to the second level, that has nothing to do with being up tempo. Uptempo means faster snaps, more plays, and less rest between them. The guy is 6'4'' and 340 lbs at age 31 coming back into the game after a year rehabbing, he is not going to have the stamina to play the amount of snaps the eagles are expected to play. He did say he was trying to get down to 320 because of what Kelly has been running in camp, so they may not have any interest in moving him. It's just something I would look into if I were in Mayhew's shoes.


so kelly will be getting everyone else on the team in shape except for Peters and instead let him go? i still dont understand why they would just let him go for nothing bc of scheme?


April 30th, 2013, 11:33 pm
Profile
Online
NFL Veteran

Joined: November 28th, 2007, 12:50 pm
Posts: 1386
Location: Newport Beach, Ca
Post Re: Lions' Riley Reiff will start at left tackle after all
The Legend wrote:
rao wrote:
The Legend wrote:
rao wrote:
If I were Mayhew I would be giving Philly a jingle. Jason Peters is said to be looking fine after his injury and it would only cost the Eagles 800k to move his $10M cap hit. If the Lions could workout a small extension with him before the trade, so he can get some guaranteed money and significantly reduce his cap number it could be worth it. If Philly is going to move to a more uptempo style I don't see anyway Peters is going to fit for them and he would be a nice anchor on the left for 3 more seasons I'm sure.

This would still Require Staff to get restructured though.


i dont understand why peters wouldnt fit in a more uptempo scheme? have you seen the way this guy can move? he s one of the most athletic OTs around. the way he can move and block on the 2nd level is pretty impressive. if he s healthy, he d be a great pickup.


I'm not concerned with his ability to get to the second level, that has nothing to do with being up tempo. Uptempo means faster snaps, more plays, and less rest between them. The guy is 6'4'' and 340 lbs at age 31 coming back into the game after a year rehabbing, he is not going to have the stamina to play the amount of snaps the eagles are expected to play. He did say he was trying to get down to 320 because of what Kelly has been running in camp, so they may not have any interest in moving him. It's just something I would look into if I were in Mayhew's shoes.


so kelly will be getting everyone else on the team in shape except for Peters and instead let him go? i still dont understand why they would just let him go for nothing bc of scheme?


Not sure where your coming up with anything in your comment.

I said Peters was dropping weight because he felt it would help him in the system, so I do think he is going to try to fit the faster tempo. For what its worth Peters said in the same interview that Kelly has not asked him to slim down it was his choice. I still don't think he will be able to handle the assumed tempo they will be running even if he gets to 320 since he has been out for so long, but they may not end up using as drastic of a tempo change as believed. Kelly has said he plans to work his scheme around the personnel, so if Peters can't handle it he is a good enough player I'm sure they would make some adjustments to accommodate him.

I also never said anything about them letting him go for nothing, I specifically said if I were Mayhew I would call the Eagles about him. There would be some kind of compensation and it would probably be too much, but I think it would be a good thing to look in to anyways. Mayhew could have even already done this, chances are we would never hear about it unless it was actually a possibility to happen.


April 30th, 2013, 11:52 pm
Profile
QB Coach
User avatar

Joined: August 21st, 2005, 3:36 am
Posts: 3139
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Post Re: Lions' Riley Reiff will start at left tackle after all
Regarding whether Peters can handle the uptempo style, think about this: the Patriots essentially already run the Kelly style offense (after any big play they rush to the line and go up tempo until a bad play happens). I just checked the stats on their O-linemen and they're all 300-320 lbs, just like Peters. They seem to handle it just fine. I don't see Peters having any issue, and I don't see a scenario in which the Eagles will let him go without a huge bounty.

I agree that it's a call that should be made. The reality is that there are tons of calls like this that are made every year and we know about almost none of them.

_________________
"Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." - John Adams

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson


May 1st, 2013, 12:16 am
Profile
League MVP

Joined: February 11th, 2005, 3:01 pm
Posts: 3692
Location: WSU
Post Re: Lions' Riley Reiff will start at left tackle after all
rao wrote:

Quote:
Not sure where your coming up with anything in your comment.



rao wrote:

Quote:
If Philly is going to move to a more uptempo style I don't see anyway Peters is going to fit for them and he would be a nice anchor on the left for 3 more seasons I'm sure.


there ya go


May 1st, 2013, 1:33 am
Profile
League MVP

Joined: February 11th, 2005, 3:01 pm
Posts: 3692
Location: WSU
Post Re: Lions' Riley Reiff will start at left tackle after all
Touchdown Jesus wrote:
Regarding whether Peters can handle the uptempo style, think about this: the Patriots essentially already run the Kelly style offense (after any big play they rush to the line and go up tempo until a bad play happens). I just checked the stats on their O-linemen and they're all 300-320 lbs, just like Peters. They seem to handle it just fine. I don't see Peters having any issue, and I don't see a scenario in which the Eagles will let him go without a huge bounty.

I agree that it's a call that should be made. The reality is that there are tons of calls like this that are made every year and we know about almost none of them.


agree. peters biggest issue will be getting his power back after the achilles injury. regardless he should be able to get in good enough shape to play in the scheme. still rao's idea of bringing him to the lions is a good one, assuming peters is available and healthy.


May 1st, 2013, 1:36 am
Profile
Online
NFL Veteran

Joined: November 28th, 2007, 12:50 pm
Posts: 1386
Location: Newport Beach, Ca
Post Re: Lions' Riley Reiff will start at left tackle after all
I like that he is bringing his weight down, it should help, but he missed a full year last season training camp and all. If he were just 340 and bringing his weight down after a normal season I wouldn't question his fit. With him being off so long I think he will need more than the off season to prepare himself. It's lucky he was able to get back to 100% (according to him) healthy, but he's still got to get his legs back to the level they were before the injury and there is a very good chance his movement is gone. He had 2 surgeries on that Achilles because it re-ruptured after a malfunction with the stabilizing equipment, it's possible they had to shorten it even more the second time.


Legend - I was referring to this quote. Which I did quote in my previous post

Quote:
so kelly will be getting everyone else on the team in shape except for Peters and instead let him go? i still dont understand why they would just let him go for nothing bc of scheme?


None of my previous posts said Kelly wouldn't help Peters or that he wants to get rid of Peters and I never said the Eagles would let him go for nothing. All I said is the Lions should ask.


May 1st, 2013, 11:11 am
Profile
Hall of Fame Player
User avatar

Joined: May 7th, 2005, 3:25 pm
Posts: 7440
Location: Earth/Sagittarius Dwarf Galaxy
Post Re: Lions' Riley Reiff will start at left tackle after all
Reiff has 1 season to prove he can be a good LT. If he fails to do so, we go into next off season knowing our #1 need is LT.


May 1st, 2013, 8:54 pm
Profile
Team MVP
User avatar

Joined: February 20th, 2007, 10:51 pm
Posts: 3362
Location: Saginaw, MI
Post Re: Lions' Riley Reiff will start at left tackle after all
BillySims wrote:
Reiff has 1 season to prove he can be a good LT. If he fails to do so, we go into next off season knowing our #1 need is LT.


Yup i agree.

_________________
April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.


Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011


May 1st, 2013, 9:13 pm
Profile
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)
User avatar

Joined: April 5th, 2007, 5:51 pm
Posts: 2283
Post Re: Lions' Riley Reiff will start at left tackle after all
kdsberman wrote:
BillySims wrote:
Reiff has 1 season to prove he can be a good LT. If he fails to do so, we go into next off season knowing our #1 need is LT.


Yup i agree.


Exactly. And its not like he'd bust out, he would just be relegated to RT or OG.


May 2nd, 2013, 2:39 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Post Re: Lions' Riley Reiff will start at left tackle after all
DJ-B wrote:
kdsberman wrote:
BillySims wrote:
Reiff has 1 season to prove he can be a good LT. If he fails to do so, we go into next off season knowing our #1 need is LT.


Yup i agree.


Exactly. And its not like he'd bust out, he would just be relegated to RT or OG.


Taking an above average OG at #16 overall (or whatever it was), IMO, is a bust. I don't think he would be a dominate OG, and from what I've seen of him so far, he's no OT. IMO he was a bad pick, but time will tell.


May 2nd, 2013, 2:46 pm
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: October 20th, 2004, 4:16 pm
Posts: 9891
Location: Where ever I'm at now
Post Re: Lions' Riley Reiff will start at left tackle after all
wjb21ndtown wrote:
DJ-B wrote:
kdsberman wrote:
BillySims wrote:
Reiff has 1 season to prove he can be a good LT. If he fails to do so, we go into next off season knowing our #1 need is LT.


Yup i agree.


Exactly. And its not like he'd bust out, he would just be relegated to RT or OG.


Taking an above average OG at #16 overall (or whatever it was), IMO, is a bust. I don't think he would be a dominate OG, and from what I've seen of him so far, he's no OT. IMO he was a bad pick, but time will tell.


He was taken 23rd, I believe. And it's WAAAY too early to tell just how good or bad an NFL player he will be at any position. Based on what you are saying, there are a number of players we should have dumped after one season. Included among them would be Calvin and Stafford.

_________________
Driver of the 'we need a coaching change' bandwagon. Climb aboard.


May 2nd, 2013, 5:38 pm
Profile
Online
NFL Veteran

Joined: November 28th, 2007, 12:50 pm
Posts: 1386
Location: Newport Beach, Ca
Post Re: Lions' Riley Reiff will start at left tackle after all
m2karateman wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
DJ-B wrote:
kdsberman wrote:
BillySims wrote:
Reiff has 1 season to prove he can be a good LT. If he fails to do so, we go into next off season knowing our #1 need is LT.


Yup i agree.


Exactly. And its not like he'd bust out, he would just be relegated to RT or OG.


Taking an above average OG at #16 overall (or whatever it was), IMO, is a bust. I don't think he would be a dominate OG, and from what I've seen of him so far, he's no OT. IMO he was a bad pick, but time will tell.


He was taken 23rd, I believe. And it's WAAAY too early to tell just how good or bad an NFL player he will be at any position. Based on what you are saying, there are a number of players we should have dumped after one season. Included among them would be Calvin and Stafford.


Yep he was the 23rd pick and I agree it's to early to make any call on him. I wouldn't consider him a bust as an above average OG, though it would be pretty weird for him to be anything other than an OT with Warford, Sims, Nagy, and Austin all in play as OGs.


May 2nd, 2013, 5:50 pm
Profile
Post Re: Lions' Riley Reiff will start at left tackle after all
m2karateman wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
DJ-B wrote:
kdsberman wrote:
BillySims wrote:
Reiff has 1 season to prove he can be a good LT. If he fails to do so, we go into next off season knowing our #1 need is LT.


Yup i agree.


Exactly. And its not like he'd bust out, he would just be relegated to RT or OG.


Taking an above average OG at #16 overall (or whatever it was), IMO, is a bust. I don't think he would be a dominate OG, and from what I've seen of him so far, he's no OT. IMO he was a bad pick, but time will tell.


He was taken 23rd, I believe. And it's WAAAY too early to tell just how good or bad an NFL player he will be at any position. Based on what you are saying, there are a number of players we should have dumped after one season. Included among them would be Calvin and Stafford.


Where the hell do you see me saying to dump the guy?

All I said was, IF he doesn't pan out as an OT, IMO he's a mediocre to slightly above average OG (he doesn't have strong power, pop, or anything that you look for out of a probowl OG), and if he's a slightly above average OG, we took him too high.


May 2nd, 2013, 6:40 pm
Team MVP
User avatar

Joined: February 20th, 2007, 10:51 pm
Posts: 3362
Location: Saginaw, MI
Post Re: Lions' Riley Reiff will start at left tackle after all
Well, Reiff has a full offseason to get stronger. Shoot, Stafford put on 10 pounds of muscle in an offseason. Im sure Reiff can too.

Again, he will start at LT. And if he doesnt do well, he simply goes to RT and we draft a LT (hopefully).

_________________
April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.


Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011


May 2nd, 2013, 7:44 pm
Profile
Butkus Award Winner

Joined: July 3rd, 2012, 2:06 am
Posts: 652
Post Re: Lions' Riley Reiff will start at left tackle after all
kdsberman wrote:
Well, Reiff has a full offseason to get stronger. Shoot, Stafford put on 10 pounds of muscle in an offseason. Im sure Reiff can too.

Again, he will start at LT. And if he doesnt do well, he simply goes to RT and we draft a LT (hopefully).


I agree. Reiff will have had seventeen months to have gained the muscle and strength needed to stay durable at LT and work on footwork. His pass-blocking already seems down-pat and his run-blocking is better than any other offensive lineman on team.

Should it not work out, I also believe he'll make a good RT. He's slated to be better there anyways.

_________________
Image


May 2nd, 2013, 7:48 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], inheritedlionsfan, liontrax and 9 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.