View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 22nd, 2014, 8:03 pm

Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Lions' Riley Reiff will start at left tackle after all 
League MVP

Post Re: Lions' Riley Reiff will start at left tackle after all
rao wrote:
The Legend wrote:
rao wrote:
If I were Mayhew I would be giving Philly a jingle. Jason Peters is said to be looking fine after his injury and it would only cost the Eagles 800k to move his $10M cap hit. If the Lions could workout a small extension with him before the trade, so he can get some guaranteed money and significantly reduce his cap number it could be worth it. If Philly is going to move to a more uptempo style I don't see anyway Peters is going to fit for them and he would be a nice anchor on the left for 3 more seasons I'm sure.

This would still Require Staff to get restructured though.

i dont understand why peters wouldnt fit in a more uptempo scheme? have you seen the way this guy can move? he s one of the most athletic OTs around. the way he can move and block on the 2nd level is pretty impressive. if he s healthy, he d be a great pickup.

I'm not concerned with his ability to get to the second level, that has nothing to do with being up tempo. Uptempo means faster snaps, more plays, and less rest between them. The guy is 6'4'' and 340 lbs at age 31 coming back into the game after a year rehabbing, he is not going to have the stamina to play the amount of snaps the eagles are expected to play. He did say he was trying to get down to 320 because of what Kelly has been running in camp, so they may not have any interest in moving him. It's just something I would look into if I were in Mayhew's shoes.

so kelly will be getting everyone else on the team in shape except for Peters and instead let him go? i still dont understand why they would just let him go for nothing bc of scheme?

April 30th, 2013, 11:33 pm
NFL Veteran

The Legend wrote:
rao wrote:
The Legend wrote:
rao wrote:
If I were Mayhew I would be giving Philly a jingle. Jason Peters is said to be looking fine after his injury and it would only cost the Eagles 800k to move his $10M cap hit. If the Lions could workout a small extension with him before the trade, so he can get some guaranteed money and significantly reduce his cap number it could be worth it. If Philly is going to move to a more uptempo style I don't see anyway Peters is going to fit for them and he would be a nice anchor on the left for 3 more seasons I'm sure.

This would still Require Staff to get restructured though.

i dont understand why peters wouldnt fit in a more uptempo scheme? have you seen the way this guy can move? he s one of the most athletic OTs around. the way he can move and block on the 2nd level is pretty impressive. if he s healthy, he d be a great pickup.

I'm not concerned with his ability to get to the second level, that has nothing to do with being up tempo. Uptempo means faster snaps, more plays, and less rest between them. The guy is 6'4'' and 340 lbs at age 31 coming back into the game after a year rehabbing, he is not going to have the stamina to play the amount of snaps the eagles are expected to play. He did say he was trying to get down to 320 because of what Kelly has been running in camp, so they may not have any interest in moving him. It's just something I would look into if I were in Mayhew's shoes.

so kelly will be getting everyone else on the team in shape except for Peters and instead let him go? i still dont understand why they would just let him go for nothing bc of scheme?

Not sure where your coming up with anything in your comment.

I said Peters was dropping weight because he felt it would help him in the system, so I do think he is going to try to fit the faster tempo. For what its worth Peters said in the same interview that Kelly has not asked him to slim down it was his choice. I still don't think he will be able to handle the assumed tempo they will be running even if he gets to 320 since he has been out for so long, but they may not end up using as drastic of a tempo change as believed. Kelly has said he plans to work his scheme around the personnel, so if Peters can't handle it he is a good enough player I'm sure they would make some adjustments to accommodate him.

I also never said anything about them letting him go for nothing, I specifically said if I were Mayhew I would call the Eagles about him. There would be some kind of compensation and it would probably be too much, but I think it would be a good thing to look in to anyways. Mayhew could have even already done this, chances are we would never hear about it unless it was actually a possibility to happen.

April 30th, 2013, 11:52 pm
QB Coach

Regarding whether Peters can handle the uptempo style, think about this: the Patriots essentially already run the Kelly style offense (after any big play they rush to the line and go up tempo until a bad play happens). I just checked the stats on their O-linemen and they're all 300-320 lbs, just like Peters. They seem to handle it just fine. I don't see Peters having any issue, and I don't see a scenario in which the Eagles will let him go without a huge bounty.

I agree that it's a call that should be made. The reality is that there are tons of calls like this that are made every year and we know about almost none of them.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson

May 1st, 2013, 12:16 am
League MVP

rao wrote:

Quote:
Not sure where your coming up with anything in your comment.

rao wrote:

Quote:
If Philly is going to move to a more uptempo style I don't see anyway Peters is going to fit for them and he would be a nice anchor on the left for 3 more seasons I'm sure.

there ya go

May 1st, 2013, 1:33 am
League MVP

Touchdown Jesus wrote:
Regarding whether Peters can handle the uptempo style, think about this: the Patriots essentially already run the Kelly style offense (after any big play they rush to the line and go up tempo until a bad play happens). I just checked the stats on their O-linemen and they're all 300-320 lbs, just like Peters. They seem to handle it just fine. I don't see Peters having any issue, and I don't see a scenario in which the Eagles will let him go without a huge bounty.

I agree that it's a call that should be made. The reality is that there are tons of calls like this that are made every year and we know about almost none of them.

agree. peters biggest issue will be getting his power back after the achilles injury. regardless he should be able to get in good enough shape to play in the scheme. still rao's idea of bringing him to the lions is a good one, assuming peters is available and healthy.

May 1st, 2013, 1:36 am
NFL Veteran

I like that he is bringing his weight down, it should help, but he missed a full year last season training camp and all. If he were just 340 and bringing his weight down after a normal season I wouldn't question his fit. With him being off so long I think he will need more than the off season to prepare himself. It's lucky he was able to get back to 100% (according to him) healthy, but he's still got to get his legs back to the level they were before the injury and there is a very good chance his movement is gone. He had 2 surgeries on that Achilles because it re-ruptured after a malfunction with the stabilizing equipment, it's possible they had to shorten it even more the second time.

Legend - I was referring to this quote. Which I did quote in my previous post

Quote:

None of my previous posts said Kelly wouldn't help Peters or that he wants to get rid of Peters and I never said the Eagles would let him go for nothing. All I said is the Lions should ask.

May 1st, 2013, 11:11 am
Hall of Fame Player

Reiff has 1 season to prove he can be a good LT. If he fails to do so, we go into next off season knowing our #1 need is LT.

May 1st, 2013, 8:54 pm
Team MVP

BillySims wrote:
Reiff has 1 season to prove he can be a good LT. If he fails to do so, we go into next off season knowing our #1 need is LT.

Yup i agree.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

May 1st, 2013, 9:13 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

kdsberman wrote:
BillySims wrote:

Yup i agree.

Exactly. And its not like he'd bust out, he would just be relegated to RT or OG.

May 2nd, 2013, 2:39 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
DJ-B wrote:
kdsberman wrote:
BillySims wrote:

Yup i agree.

Exactly. And its not like he'd bust out, he would just be relegated to RT or OG.

Taking an above average OG at #16 overall (or whatever it was), IMO, is a bust. I don't think he would be a dominate OG, and from what I've seen of him so far, he's no OT. IMO he was a bad pick, but time will tell.

May 2nd, 2013, 2:46 pm
RIP Killer

wjb21ndtown wrote:
DJ-B wrote:
kdsberman wrote:
BillySims wrote:

Yup i agree.

Taking an above average OG at #16 overall (or whatever it was), IMO, is a bust. I don't think he would be a dominate OG, and from what I've seen of him so far, he's no OT. IMO he was a bad pick, but time will tell.

He was taken 23rd, I believe. And it's WAAAY too early to tell just how good or bad an NFL player he will be at any position. Based on what you are saying, there are a number of players we should have dumped after one season. Included among them would be Calvin and Stafford.

May 2nd, 2013, 5:38 pm
NFL Veteran

m2karateman wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
DJ-B wrote:
kdsberman wrote:
BillySims wrote:

Yup i agree.

He was taken 23rd, I believe. And it's WAAAY too early to tell just how good or bad an NFL player he will be at any position. Based on what you are saying, there are a number of players we should have dumped after one season. Included among them would be Calvin and Stafford.

Yep he was the 23rd pick and I agree it's to early to make any call on him. I wouldn't consider him a bust as an above average OG, though it would be pretty weird for him to be anything other than an OT with Warford, Sims, Nagy, and Austin all in play as OGs.

May 2nd, 2013, 5:50 pm
m2karateman wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
DJ-B wrote:
kdsberman wrote:
BillySims wrote:

Yup i agree.

Where the hell do you see me saying to dump the guy?

All I said was, IF he doesn't pan out as an OT, IMO he's a mediocre to slightly above average OG (he doesn't have strong power, pop, or anything that you look for out of a probowl OG), and if he's a slightly above average OG, we took him too high.

May 2nd, 2013, 6:40 pm
Team MVP

Well, Reiff has a full offseason to get stronger. Shoot, Stafford put on 10 pounds of muscle in an offseason. Im sure Reiff can too.

Again, he will start at LT. And if he doesnt do well, he simply goes to RT and we draft a LT (hopefully).

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

May 2nd, 2013, 7:44 pm
Butkus Award Winner

kdsberman wrote:
Well, Reiff has a full offseason to get stronger. Shoot, Stafford put on 10 pounds of muscle in an offseason. Im sure Reiff can too.

Again, he will start at LT. And if he doesnt do well, he simply goes to RT and we draft a LT (hopefully).

I agree. Reiff will have had seventeen months to have gained the muscle and strength needed to stay durable at LT and work on footwork. His pass-blocking already seems down-pat and his run-blocking is better than any other offensive lineman on team.

Should it not work out, I also believe he'll make a good RT. He's slated to be better there anyways.

May 2nd, 2013, 7:48 pm
Reply to topic   [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next