View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 23rd, 2014, 6:42 pm

Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Tim Tebow, Lions H-back 
Red Shirt Freshman

Post Re: Tim Tebow, Lions H-back
Mufasa wrote:
Signing Tim Tebow to the minimum to come in as a H-back/Fullback duties and various goal line packages and even kick returns. Thoughts??

No. No. No.

Not because he's not a great person or lacks the physical tools.

Rather, the guy is a walking circus. He goes and takes a dump and it's headline news. In my opinion, Tim Tebow is the NFL version of the Kardashians.

May 2nd, 2013, 10:21 am
WarEr4Christ wrote:
Thanks that actually makes a lot of sense! For a LONG time in areas outside of this LB site, I've been one of those who walks against the current. In some instances here my complete refusal to read or "investigate" information has resulted in ridicule and attacks on my character. It doesn't matter who, or what was said, and although it hurt at the time, I've completly forgiven those who made the remarks. The world definitely wants everyone to be "equal" and anyone or group of people who set themselves apart are discredited, attacked, and every attempt is made to get them back in line. IF this fails, then they must be destroyed (that hasn't physically happened yet in this country, but it's coming)

But in order not to JACK the thread, what are your opinions on my latter questions about Tebow?

IMO Tebow needs more time with one coach. I think the best thing for him would be to sign a 3 year deal with one franchise that has possible performance escalators "not likely to be achieved" (like "become the starting Qb"), but that make him feel better about his position. I think he needs to go somewhere that has a strong Qb coach that works on mechanics, and somewhere that takes time and spends effort developing players. He's too young, and, IMO, his "potential" is too great to not at least "try" to make him a good Qb.

Now, the difficult thing is, IMO for him to be "good" or "worth his paycheck" to a team he's going to have to contribute as an H-back and/or TE, and/or on special teams. I think turning him into a Qb has to be more of a "side project" that HE works on "in his spare time."

I think it's also important to note that Tebow gives us something that Hill flat out can't do... He gives us the opportunity to practice against the wildcat, the spread option, mobile Qbs, etc. Hill fat out cannot do that, and we've had trouble with it for years.

May 2nd, 2013, 10:40 am
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

I think the only chance for Tebow is to live, breathe, and eat the QB position and everything it takes from footwork, throwing mechanics, and read progression with a guy like Whitfield. He would be wise to sign up with Whitfield rigt now and videotape his progress. Then get those tapes into the hands of coaches with iffy QB situations.

If Whitfield can't fix him nobody can in my opinion. If he did go that route I think Chip Kelly could work magic with Tebow. Kelly's offense isn't built around a running QB but he has enough designed runs to take advantage of Tebow's natural talent as long as he can improve his awful mechanics. Besides Philly that just drafted Barkley I think Pittsburgh, SF, NO, and maybe Seattle would be good spots for Tebow to sit back Learn the offense and work on the things Whitfield could teach him. All of those team have their #1 QBs and run offenses that move their QBs around in the backfield whether its bootlegs, rollouts, sliding the pocket, or option reads. He just needs to realize he has a lot of work to do and that outside of the locker room he needs to know he can't be a distraction, even if it means throwing out a few "no comments or next question."

May 2nd, 2013, 11:21 am
1st Round Pick

wjb21ndtown wrote:
WarEr4Christ wrote:
Thanks that actually makes a lot of sense! For a LONG time in areas outside of this LB site, I've been one of those who walks against the current. In some instances here my complete refusal to read or "investigate" information has resulted in ridicule and attacks on my character. It doesn't matter who, or what was said, and although it hurt at the time, I've completly forgiven those who made the remarks. The world definitely wants everyone to be "equal" and anyone or group of people who set themselves apart are discredited, attacked, and every attempt is made to get them back in line. IF this fails, then they must be destroyed (that hasn't physically happened yet in this country, but it's coming)

But in order not to JACK the thread, what are your opinions on my latter questions about Tebow?

IMO Tebow needs more time with one coach. I think the best thing for him would be to sign a 3 year deal with one franchise that has possible performance escalators "not likely to be achieved" (like "become the starting Qb"), but that make him feel better about his position. I think he needs to go somewhere that has a strong Qb coach that works on mechanics, and somewhere that takes time and spends effort developing players. He's too young, and, IMO, his "potential" is too great to not at least "try" to make him a good Qb.

Now, the difficult thing is, IMO for him to be "good" or "worth his paycheck" to a team he's going to have to contribute as an H-back and/or TE, and/or on special teams. I think turning him into a Qb has to be more of a "side project" that HE works on "in his spare time."

I think it's also important to note that Tebow gives us something that Hill flat out can't do... He gives us the opportunity to practice against the wildcat, the spread option, mobile Qbs, etc. Hill fat out cannot do that, and we've had trouble with it for years.

He will never become a good passer splitting time. Your idea would just leave him exactly the way he is now. If he's working with a new QB coach they will need to use every bit of time they have to get him reps to break his bad mechanics. His accuracy is horrid, he maybe shows an accurate throw 1 out of 10 times if even that. I'm hoping all the time on the bench has at least taught him how to read NFL defenses because if he can't do that either I'm not sure he could ever make it.

The main thing with him still goes back to the Media. Until he can remove himself from all that he will never be an NFL anything because no one is signing a 3rd stringer or even a back up that gets that much press.

May 2nd, 2013, 1:03 pm
rao wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
WarEr4Christ wrote:

He will never become a good passer splitting time. Your idea would just leave him exactly the way he is now. If he's working with a new QB coach they will need to use every bit of time they have to get him reps to break his bad mechanics. His accuracy is horrid, he maybe shows an accurate throw 1 out of 10 times if even that. I'm hoping all the time on the bench has at least taught him how to read NFL defenses because if he can't do that either I'm not sure he could ever make it.

The main thing with him still goes back to the Media. Until he can remove himself from all that he will never be an NFL anything because no one is signing a 3rd stringer or even a back up that gets that much press.

If he's playing H-back and TE, and working on his mechanics, I don't see how you can say he will never get better. That's flat out false, IMO. If anything, I think it would do him some good to step away from the position and concentrate on his mechanics. I see playing Qb as hindering his "progress" right now, but everyone is different. You absolutely cannot say for sure that playing multiple roles would hinder or preclude his progress.

May 2nd, 2013, 1:06 pm
1st Round Pick

wjb21ndtown wrote:
rao wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
WarEr4Christ wrote:

If he's playing H-back and TE, and working on his mechanics, I don't see how you can say he will never get better. That's flat out false, IMO. If anything, I think it would do him some good to step away from the position and concentrate on his mechanics. I see playing Qb as hindering his "progress" right now, but everyone is different. You absolutely cannot say for sure that playing multiple roles would hinder or preclude his progress.

Because QBs that are already better at passing than he is will be working full time on their mechanics and may never become NFL starting QBs. Your stunting his growth by splitting time, not only will he remain a mediocre passer, but he won't even be a good TE/H-Back. He isn't some wunderkind that excelled at everything he has tried, he couldn't even handle learning special teams and the few wildcat packages he ran in NY were terrible. He's not even that special of an athlete for the NFL, there are LBs all over the NFL that are just as big and just as fast. What makes him special is he's built like a LB and also has great throwing power, but if you put him at a different position he's just another guy.

May 2nd, 2013, 1:27 pm
rao wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
rao wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
WarEr4Christ wrote:

Because QBs that are already better at passing than he is will be working full time on their mechanics and may never become NFL starting QBs. Your stunting his growth by splitting time, not only will he remain a mediocre passer, but he won't even be a good TE/H-Back. He isn't some wunderkind that excelled at everything he has tried, he couldn't even handle learning special teams and the few wildcat packages he ran in NY were terrible. He's not even that special of an athlete for the NFL, there are LBs all over the NFL that are just as big and just as fast. What makes him special is he's built like a LB and also has great throwing power, but if you put him at a different position he's just another guy.

IMO Tebows work ethic and desire far surpasses the majority of players in the NFL. Like I said, IMO it would have to be a "side project" for him, and something that he worked on nearly every day. It's a "how bad do you want it" thing, and IMO he would be willing to work every day, after practice, to make it happen.

May 2nd, 2013, 1:54 pm
1st Round Pick

wjb21ndtown wrote:
rao wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
rao wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
WarEr4Christ wrote:

IMO Tebows work ethic and desire far surpasses the majority of players in the NFL. Like I said, IMO it would have to be a "side project" for him, and something that he worked on nearly every day. It's a "how bad do you want it" thing, and IMO he would be willing to work every day, after practice, to make it happen.

That's just it, his desire and work ethic are pointed at being a QB, he doesn't want to be a TE. He will put all his effort into his "side project", so why bother trying to make him average at another position. Also if you want him to be your back-up QB why does he need to be on the field at all? Your talking about paying him very little anyways, so why waste his development time. If you want to use him in a few gimmicks here and there I understand, but he doesn't need to go through practice at the position everyday to be a gimmick guy. As long as the door is open for him to be a QB he will never put in the time needed to be anything more than average at another position.

May 2nd, 2013, 3:01 pm
rao wrote:
That's just it, his desire and work ethic are pointed at being a QB, he doesn't want to be a TE. He will put all his effort into his "side project", so why bother trying to make him average at another position. Also if you want him to be your back-up QB why does he need to be on the field at all? Your talking about paying him very little anyways, so why waste his development time. If you want to use him in a few gimmicks here and there I understand, but he doesn't need to go through practice at the position everyday to be a gimmick guy. As long as the door is open for him to be a QB he will never put in the time needed to be anything more than average at another position.

BS, if he's signed as a TE, and knows his role, he's not going to 1/2 rectum that job, and he won't be allowed to. It will be his EVERY DAY JOB. He'll HAVE to work on it here. You're not making any sense with your argument here.

May 2nd, 2013, 3:05 pm
1st Round Pick

wjb21ndtown wrote:
rao wrote:

BS, if he's signed as a TE, and knows his role, he's not going to 1/2 rectum that job, and he won't be allowed to. It will be his EVERY DAY JOB. He'll HAVE to work on it here. You're not making any sense with your argument here.

It doesn't matter if he wants to give full effort or not, if he's working on his mechanics after hours he wont get proper recovery time before practice the next day. Tebow doesn't run on batteries, he does need to rest. Stop pretending like Tebow is special, he is not, he is no different than any other NFL hopeful working hard to be a starter.

May 2nd, 2013, 3:23 pm
rao wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
rao wrote:

It doesn't matter if he wants to give full effort or not, if he's working on his mechanics after hours he wont get proper recovery time before practice the next day. Tebow doesn't run on batteries, he does need to rest. Stop pretending like Tebow is special, he is not, he is no different than any other NFL hopeful working hard to be a starter.

Now you're boiling everything down to his rotator cuff won't be able to handle working on this throwing motion every day, and playing TE? That's pretty weak dood....

There are plenty of players in the NFL that don't work hard at their craft at all, and there are players like Jordan, Dion Sanders, Bo Jackson, etc. that take the time to learn multiple SPORTS, let alone positions. Stop acting like this is so impossible. You're being ridiculous.

May 2nd, 2013, 3:34 pm
1st Round Pick

wjb21ndtown wrote:
rao wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
rao wrote:

Now you're boiling everything down to his rotator cuff won't be able to handle working on this throwing motion every day, and playing TE? That's pretty weak dood....

There are plenty of players in the NFL that don't work hard at their craft at all, and there are players like Jordan, Dion Sanders, Bo Jackson, etc. that take the time to learn multiple SPORTS, let alone positions. Stop acting like this is so impossible. You're being ridiculous.

If you think the only part of his body he is working when throwing is his arm you need to take some lessons in body mechanics. Not only will he be losing rest, but he will also be working on his throwing motion while already fatigued. He is not going to be able to maintain proper mechanics while training and his form will get sloppy.

Dion Sanders and Bo Jackson were considered athletes with no equal. Tebow is nothing like them. Jordan was great at something before he started learning something new and he was bad at it.

Tebow couldn't play one position at a good level, not one, but you think he can become good at two splitting time and I'm somehow the one being Ridiculous.

May 2nd, 2013, 3:45 pm
rao wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
rao wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
rao wrote:

If you think the only part of his body he is working when throwing is his arm you need to take some lessons in body mechanics. Not only will he be losing rest, but he will also be working on his throwing motion while already fatigued. He is not going to be able to maintain proper mechanics while training and his form will get sloppy.

Dion Sanders and Bo Jackson were considered athletes with no equal. Tebow is nothing like them. Jordan was great at something before he started learning something new and he was bad at it.

Tebow couldn't play one position at a good level, not one, but you think he can become good at two splitting time and I'm somehow the one being Ridiculous.

You're saying that he can't do it because of "fatigue"... I have no doubt in my mind that fatigue will play no part of his struggle to play multiple positions in the NFL.

May 2nd, 2013, 3:54 pm
1st Round Pick

wjb21ndtown wrote:
rao wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
rao wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
rao wrote:

You're saying that he can't do it because of "fatigue"... I have no doubt in my mind that fatigue will play no part of his struggle to play multiple positions in the NFL.

I said he will be hampered by fatigue while he's trying to learn a position "after hours", he will have his growth stunted because he will not be focusing on a single position, he is not athletically gifted enough to be considered special at any position other than QB, and he has so far displayed no aptitude for being a good passer in the NFL.

So far all you've said is he will work hard and that 3 of the greatest players at their sports did it it, so why can't Tebow.

May 2nd, 2013, 4:06 pm
I personally do think he's athletically gifted enough to play TE in the NFL, and I've stated that as well. I question his "meanness" to play H-back, but I do think he can play TE, and play the position well. The guy rushed for 692 attempts in college and you question his vision. He ran a 4.7 40, yet you question his athleticism. He played nearly a full season with a Qb rating of 72, he played over 1/2 a season with a Qb rating of 82, yet you claim that he can be a BACK UP Qb, right now, without much effort.

I find most of what you're saying absolutely ridiculous.

May 2nd, 2013, 4:48 pm
Reply to topic   [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next