View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently August 21st, 2014, 9:59 pm

Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Which NFL Team Had Your Favorite Draft? 
NFL Veteran

Post Re: Which NFL Team Had Your Favorite Draft?
Didn't the Vikes play a large amount of man also last year? I don't think they are playing a pure Tampa 2.

I liked the Titans draft also. It probably wasn't my favorite, but it's up at the top. Rumor was they traded up for Hunter because they were sure DET was going to take him before they could.

April 30th, 2013, 11:31 pm
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

Rhodes has pretty much struggled whenever he was not playing man-press. If Vikings play to his strengths I think he will be great but otherwise I believe he will be a bust.

May 1st, 2013, 9:51 am
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

There's always serious grade inflation for the teams that are already good. Unless a draft is bad on a Millen-esque level, it's really hard to say how most teams did.

I have to say though what really bugs me is when amateur draftniks say who we should've taken after the third round. I buy that if you're paying attention you can have a good sense of the top 100 guys or so, but when you get deeper into the draft, how can somebody claim to have better knowledge than the scouts/GM who do this all year for a living? It's crazy to me.

May 1st, 2013, 12:12 pm
thelomasbrowns wrote:
There's always serious grade inflation for the teams that are already good. Unless a draft is bad on a Millen-esque level, it's really hard to say how most teams did.

I have to say though what really bugs me is when amateur draftniks say who we should've taken after the third round. I buy that if you're paying attention you can have a good sense of the top 100 guys or so, but when you get deeper into the draft, how can somebody claim to have better knowledge than the scouts/GM who do this all year for a living? It's crazy to me.

It's not as if they're saying that they "should have" taken someone that didn't get drafted at all (usually), they're saying that they "should have taken" someone that was a better fit, or that they believe was more talented. For every "GM or scout" that took a player in the 5th round, some other one took a player a few picks later. It's no stretch or genius to say that a pick taken a few picks later could have been a better player and a better fit for a particular team.

For instance, I think Stills was a STEAL in the 5th. He's more polished than Fuller, and I think he'll have greater production throughout his career. I think Rambo would have been a better pick than a punter. Our special teams sucks not so much because we can't get the ball down the field on a kick or kickoff, but because we CAN'T TACKLE the guy once we DO get the ball down the field. Everyone was saying that Martin was this "great pick" to "fix our special teams," but I contend that Rambo would have done more to fix our special teams than Martin will. Our lack of depth at WR, LB, CB, FS, and SS is what kills our special teams.

May 1st, 2013, 12:22 pm
Veteran General Manager

I know this. The Vikings, Packers, and Bears had too good of drafts for my liking.

May 1st, 2013, 8:35 pm
Color Commentator - John Madden

BillySims wrote:
I know this. The Vikings, Packers, and Bears had too good of drafts for my liking.

Really? I didn't think the Bears draft was good at all.

May 3rd, 2013, 11:37 pm
NFL Veteran

CMWSR wrote:
BillySims wrote:

Really? I didn't think the Bears draft was good at all.

I'd say they had a pretty average draft, but they are already a decent team and filled some holes with FAs. All together they did seem to get better, just depends on how they adjust to the new coach.

May 3rd, 2013, 11:55 pm
RIP Killer

I agree about the Bears, I don't think they had a good draft. I see two reaches in the first two rounds. Long wasn't a first round player, and Bostic was rated as a mid-rounder. For a team that needed secondary help, they got goose egg through the draft.

Minnesota definitely got some help, but I think Patterson is over rated and Rhodes is boom or bust. Floyd was a great pickup for them, though. And I think Hodges was good value as well.

Green Bay may have reached for Jones, but the rest of the draft was pretty good. They got their running backs, they bolstered their offensive line and may have gotten a steal with Charles Johnson of GVSU.

May 4th, 2013, 8:55 pm
All State

I like the Dolphins draft. I really feel that Jelani Jenkins will be pretty good @ the next level..

May 5th, 2013, 12:56 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

The Lions. Taking that punter in the 5th round launches us into the superbowl conversation

May 6th, 2013, 7:04 pm
RIP Killer

Tennessee had one of my 3 favorite drafts. Addressed needs, got good value, traded up for the guy they wanted and didn't get fleeced. Good all around draft.

Also loved Houston's draft.

May 7th, 2013, 9:13 am
Walk On

rao wrote:
Didn't the Vikes play a large amount of man also last year? I don't think they are playing a pure Tampa 2.

I liked the Titans draft also. It probably wasn't my favorite, but it's up at the top. Rumor was they traded up for Hunter because they were sure DET was going to take him before they could.

Titans, I felt like they're draft was suppose to be our draft had things fallen into place.

May 7th, 2013, 1:55 pm
NFL Veteran

Mufasa wrote:
rao wrote:

Titans, I felt like they're draft was suppose to be our draft had things fallen into place.

I think their draft would have almost fixed the Lions offense completely and would have added some good players to the defense. The Lions draft has the potential to do the opposite and correct a big portion of the defense, but only have a minor effect on the offense. All things considered, I would probably trade draft classes if it were possible although with that class the defense would still be horrendous.

May 7th, 2013, 3:38 pm
Walk On

m2karateman wrote:
I agree about the Bears, I don't think they had a good draft. I see two reaches in the first two rounds. Long wasn't a first round player, and Bostic was rated as a mid-rounder. For a team that needed secondary help, they got goose egg through the draft.

I know it is just the preseason... but it looks like the Bears may have struck gold in the draft.

Round 1: After the second preseason game last night, Dan Pompeii said this AM that while Kyle Long may have looked like a reach in the draft... he is playing like a probowl RG on the field... just mauling everyong, and looking like a Steve Hutchinson-type, game-changing OG. He's already the starting RG... definitely looking at the battles between he & Suh in the future. He's obviously going to be green and have some inconsistency as a rookie... but he already looks like a man amongst boys out there.

Quote:
Pro Football Focus ‏@PFF 13m
So Kyle Long played 33 snaps last night. Got a +5.7 grade! That's ridiculous for a guard.

Round 2: Jon Bostic has taken over from DJ Williams to replace Urlacher in the middle. He's not calling the defense (Briggs is) ... but he is looking very strong, and may end up starting at Mike even if DJ is back & healthy. That would be two starters in the draft.

No 3rd Rounder (traded for Brandon Marshall!)

Round 4: Khaseem Green looks good, and fast - but is backing up Briggs. They are talking him up as heir apparent at Will. Should get a lot of PT, and also on ST.

Round 5: Jordan Mills was generally considered a pretty good pick in the 5th at draft time - but nobody thought he'd be in the starting lineup in the preseason. Looks like he is, and J'Marcus Webb will end up being their backup/swing tackle. Mills held his own nicely against Freeney last night. Looks like he'll be starting at RT - 3 starters in the draft.

Round 6: Cornelius Washington: also generally considered a good 6th round pick coming out of the draft. Will probably make the team, due to a few injuries and may get a little playing time for that reason - even though he'll be sitting behind the Peppers, Wooten, McClellan rotation.

Round 7: Marques Wilson: Considered a boom/bust risk pick even in the 7th, because of some potential attitude problems that caused him to quit the team his final year. But it was Mike Leach - who is a JA and probaby deserves to have his team quit on him. Anyway, Wilson's college production was top notch, and if his head is straight he'll be a steal in the 7th ... so far, so good - in the preaseason, where he had 85 ish yards in garbage time. He's likely to make the team, as opposed to the PS ... because the Bears won't expose him.

So... this doesn't look like a good draft? What do you think about it now?

Oh - on the secondary, that is true. Although not many teams can boast 2 probowl corners in the same year, there is a lack of depth. And now even more concern, since nickel Kelvin Hayden is out for the year. Currently they have 2nd year 6th round pick Issiah Frey at nickel, and he's been playing well. But there will probably be a FA signing at CB because of the loss of Hayden.

August 16th, 2013, 2:18 pm
RIP Killer

Couple of things, I.E.:

1. It's still pre-season. Long and Bostic looked really good in the last game, as I watched a pretty good portion of it. However, we've all season rookies in pre-season look stellar, and then fall on their face during the season. I'll reserve judgement.

2. My criticism of those picks was based on analysis from draft pundits as to where Long and Bostic were projected to go. I personally didn't know all that much about these guys, but knew that numerous sources had them going much later. What I do know after years of looking at these NFL drafts, is that usually (not always) when a player is seen as a reach, it turns out to be true. Case in point...A.J. Jenkins and Jon Baldwin. Both first round reaches that have been dumped (traded) by the teams that selected them.

If those two guys become quality starters for the Bears, then so be it. I'll give them kudos for the picks. But my first blush of the Bears draft is that they didn't address their secondary needs and that the picks they made in rounds one and two were reaches. Sorry if you didn't like my opinions.

August 20th, 2013, 10:26 am
Reply to topic   [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next