View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 28th, 2014, 1:15 pm

Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Lions' Riley Reiff will start at left tackle after all 
Post Re: Lions' Riley Reiff will start at left tackle after all
WarEr4Christ wrote:
I have a question concerning Reiff. There seems to be a lot of concern about him, and his ability to cover the position that Backus vacated, but last year when Backus was replaced by Reiff, we were pleasantly surprised. I don't remember it being an issue, and his ability to do the job last season really helped us fans, settle into a post Backus 2013. So what's changed? How has Reiff gotten worse from a rookie year that he didn't have speed of game knowledge, nor playbook knowledge?

Thoughts please?

I wasn't impressed with Reiff filling in for Backus, at all. IMO he played horrible, yet he was constantly jocked by the refs. IMO that's why so many on here think he "played well" that game.

I thought the organization felt the same way. They rushed Jeff Backus back from injury just to get Reiff off of the field IMO that says something. We played an injured 12+ year vet, who's more or less done, even as a "pass pro technician" over a "young rookie stud" that was picked 16 overall, and SHOULD have been able to take the reigns by then.

IMO he also struggled blocking as a 3rd TE as well. That's even more telling to me, as to where he's at with his ability to play in the NFL.

May 7th, 2013, 4:42 pm
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

wjb21ndtown wrote:
WarEr4Christ wrote:
I have a question concerning Reiff. There seems to be a lot of concern about him, and his ability to cover the position that Backus vacated, but last year when Backus was replaced by Reiff, we were pleasantly surprised. I don't remember it being an issue, and his ability to do the job last season really helped us fans, settle into a post Backus 2013. So what's changed? How has Reiff gotten worse from a rookie year that he didn't have speed of game knowledge, nor playbook knowledge?

Thoughts please?

I wasn't impressed with Reiff filling in for Backus, at all. IMO he played horrible, yet he was constantly jocked by the refs. IMO that's why so many on here think he "played well" that game.

I thought the organization felt the same way. They rushed Jeff Backus back from injury just to get Reiff off of the field IMO that says something. We played an injured 12+ year vet, who's more or less done, even as a "pass pro technician" over a "young rookie stud" that was picked 16 overall, and SHOULD have been able to take the reigns by then.

IMO he also struggled blocking as a 3rd TE as well. That's even more telling to me, as to where he's at with his ability to play in the NFL.

Im sorry what gives you the impression they rushed Backus back?

The guy plays when he is hurt, has his wholee career, suddenly they're rushing him back when he just dioes what he always does? doesnt add up bro, sorry.

I dont know how comfortable I am at LT but as a RT/ run blocker I liked what I saw out of him. but then I expected to see play on a rookie level..I.E. I dont expect all pro perfection like you do.

May 7th, 2013, 5:18 pm
regularjoe12 wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
WarEr4Christ wrote:

Thoughts please?

Im sorry what gives you the impression they rushed Backus back?

The guy plays when he is hurt, has his wholee career, suddenly they're rushing him back when he just dioes what he always does? doesnt add up bro, sorry.

I dont know how comfortable I am at LT but as a RT/ run blocker I liked what I saw out of him. but then I expected to see play on a rookie level..I.E. I dont expect all pro perfection like you do.

He played hurt his whole career, BECAUSE THERE WAS NO ONE BETTER BEHIND HIM.

If Reiff was "ready" he would have played, period.

I don't expect perfection, at all, but he played far from perfect. He looked lost and overwhelmed, and that was mid-season. That's not good, IMO.

May 7th, 2013, 5:25 pm

our staff DOES NOT LIKE PLAYING ROOKIES!!! it doesnt matter the position. they prefer to sit 1st year guys and slowly working them into the action. this goes for offense and defense. Suh and Staff are the only exceptions that have been made.

it may not be the way YOU would do it, but it is how THEY do. you have to stop forcing your own perspective on to whats going on and start seeing things as they are.

May 7th, 2013, 5:32 pm
regularjoe12 wrote:
our staff DOES NOT LIKE PLAYING ROOKIES!!! it doesnt matter the position. they prefer to sit 1st year guys and slowly working them into the action. this goes for offense and defense. Suh and Staff are the only exceptions that have been made.

it may not be the way YOU would do it, but it is how THEY do. you have to stop forcing your own perspective on to whats going on and start seeing things as they are.

Until otherwise is proven, they play the rookies that are ready to play. The ones that they do try playing (Bentley, Greenwood, Leshoure) have flopped. Broyles was injured, but Titus got good playing time, and he was a second rounder. Best got good playing time, and he was a later draft pick than Reiff. Reiff couldn't even beat out Peterman at OG!

That's freaking sad.

You tell me, what starting caliber rookies were "held back"?

Maybe it's YOU that needs to stop forcing YOUR perspective.

May 7th, 2013, 5:51 pm

wjb21ndtown wrote:
regularjoe12 wrote:

Until otherwise is proven, they play the rookies that are ready to play. The ones that they do try playing (Bentley, Greenwood, Leshoure) have flopped. Broyles was injured, but Titus got good playing time, and he was a second rounder. Best got good playing time, and he was a later draft pick than Reiff. Reiff couldn't even beat out Peterman at OG!

That's freaking sad.

you corrected me with Best. titus didnt sart day one..he was worked in slowly over his first year. that actually supports my argument.

the DB's all played because of injury, but you know darned well that none of em were slated to start at the #2 on day one. and Leshour??? common, the kid never stepped on the field as a rookie!!!

May 7th, 2013, 6:01 pm
regularjoe12 wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
regularjoe12 wrote:

That's freaking sad.

you corrected me with Best. titus didnt sart day one..he was worked in slowly over his first year. that actually supports my argument.

the DB's all played because of injury, but you know darned well that none of em were slated to start at the #2 on day one. and Leshour??? common, the kid never stepped on the field as a rookie!!!

Pettigrew?

Where is your list of players that come in AFTER being rookies and show that they had deserved to start prior than the staff putting them out there? I can't think of one player that has came in and played better than expected, or ahead of their curve.

I really think we just are THAT bad at developing talent.

May 7th, 2013, 6:55 pm

wjb21ndtown wrote:
regularjoe12 wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
regularjoe12 wrote:

That's freaking sad.

Pettigrew?

Where is your list of players that come in AFTER being rookies and show that they had deserved to start prior than the staff putting them out there. I can't think of one player that has came in and played better than expected, or ahead of their curve.

I'm not trying to be offensive, just honest.

Of course you can't, your standards are inhumanly high. Even Calvin was "dogging it" last year.

May 7th, 2013, 9:44 pm
NFL Veteran

May 7th, 2013, 10:20 pm

Reiff held up in the one game he played but he didnt look all that good doing it. Same with Hilliard in past years. I definitely agree that a solid veteran could help. Im not sure Winston Justice is all that good. Regardless, the coaching staff had 3-4 games last season where they were out of the playoff picture and could ve gotten a glimpse of what the younger OLman were capable of and helped produce them a little bit. To me, the fact that they went through an 8 game season endling losing streak with Backus, Peterman, Cherilus - all guys that at some point in the season the FO knew wouldnt be retained - is simply inexcusable.

May 8th, 2013, 8:11 am
National Champion

The Legend wrote:
Reiff held up in the one game he played but he didnt look all that good doing it. Same with Hilliard in past years. I definitely agree that a solid veteran could help. Im not sure Winston Justice is all that good. Regardless, the coaching staff had 3-4 games last season where they were out of the playoff picture and could ve gotten a glimpse of what the younger OLman were capable of and helped produce them a little bit. To me, the fact that they went through an 8 game season endling losing streak with Backus, Peterman, Cherilus - all guys that at some point in the season the FO knew wouldnt be retained - is simply inexcusable.

I don't think anyone knew Backus was going to retire. They may have known they weren't keeping Cherilus and Peterman, but Backus was not known.

May 8th, 2013, 9:00 am
NFL Veteran

The Legend wrote:

I really can't understand their reluctance to play the back-ups once the play-offs were out of reach. It's been an issue with this staff since the beginning and I'm sure will continue to be a problem until they are gone.

May 8th, 2013, 9:34 am
regularjoe12 wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
regularjoe12 wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
regularjoe12 wrote:

That's freaking sad.

Pettigrew?

Where is your list of players that come in AFTER being rookies and show that they had deserved to start prior than the staff putting them out there. I can't think of one player that has came in and played better than expected, or ahead of their curve.

Of course you can't, your standards are inhumanly high. Even Calvin was "dogging it" last year.

No, BS... It is YOUR argument that we've "held players back that should be starting." You tell me who... You tell me, in YOUR opinion, who has been held back. You tell me who has came in and shown that they should have been starting sooner.

I've given you a number of players that have started, or had significant playing time as rookies, meaning, players that our FO HAS given our young talent opportunities, when deserved. You show me the players that prove me wrong.

Last edited by wjb21ndtown on May 8th, 2013, 11:46 am, edited 2 times in total.

May 8th, 2013, 9:46 am
Rookie Player of the Year

As I said in a previous thread on Reiff, our offense was clicking throughout the game with the Texans. I think he'll be fine.

May 8th, 2013, 11:25 am

wjb21ndtown wrote:
regularjoe12 wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
regularjoe12 wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
regularjoe12 wrote:

That's freaking sad.

Pettigrew?

No, BS... It is YOUR argument that we've "held players back that should be starting." You tell me who... You tell me, in YOUR opinion, who has been held back. You tell me who has came in and shown that they should have been starting sooner.

I've given you a number of players that have started, or had significant playing time as rookies, meaning, players that our FO HAS given our young talent opportunities, when deserved. You show me the players that prove me wrong.

thats not even close to what i said....ever.

All I said was that teh coaching staff prefers to sit rookieas and work them into the offense, as apposed to starting them right away.

I have NEVER said anything about "holding players back that should be starting"

May 8th, 2013, 12:57 pm
Reply to topic   [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next