View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 16th, 2014, 3:26 pm



Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Lions' Riley Reiff will start at left tackle after all 
Author Message
Post Re: Lions' Riley Reiff will start at left tackle after all
regularjoe12 wrote:
thats not even close to what i said....ever.

All I said was that teh coaching staff prefers to sit rookieas and work them into the offense, as apposed to starting them right away.

I have NEVER said anything about "holding players back that should be starting"


You:
Quote:
our staff DOES NOT LIKE PLAYING ROOKIES!!!


Quote:
they prefer to sit 1st year guys and slowly working them into the action.


Me:
Quote:
Until otherwise is proven, they play the rookies that are ready to play.


Reiff wasn't "slowly worked into any meaningful role." Why? Titus was, Broyles was, every other first round pick was, why not Reiff? He was never "worked into" an OT role, he was never "worked into" an OG role. Why? You claim it's because "WE (DO) NOT LIKE PLAYING ROOKIES!!!," I say it's because he hasn't shown enough. Our staff has worked virutually ever other healthy, first or second round draft pick NOT named Reiff into the lineup their rookie season. Why?

If your argument is now "we don't play rookies" to start the season, which is seemingly what you want to say now (which isn't what you were saying prior), why didn't Reiff ever start or get significant playing time at a real position late in the season? The staff did it with virtually every other first and second round pick. Why not Reiff?

You show me another player that has allegedly shown something, as you say Reiff has, that DIDN'T get a chance to start before the end of the year. Show ANY OTHER first or second round player drafted by Mayhew that DIDN'T get their due for any reason other than an injury.


May 8th, 2013, 1:10 pm
League MVP
User avatar

Joined: March 30th, 2006, 12:48 am
Posts: 3630
Location: Davison Mi
Post Re: Lions' Riley Reiff will start at left tackle after all
wjb21ndtown wrote:
regularjoe12 wrote:
thats not even close to what i said....ever.

All I said was that teh coaching staff prefers to sit rookieas and work them into the offense, as apposed to starting them right away.

I have NEVER said anything about "holding players back that should be starting"


You:
Quote:
our staff DOES NOT LIKE PLAYING ROOKIES!!!


Quote:
they prefer to sit 1st year guys and slowly working them into the action.


Me:
Quote:
Until otherwise is proven, they play the rookies that are ready to play.


Reiff wasn't "slowly worked into any meaningful role." Why? Titus was, Broyles was, every other first round pick was, why not Reiff? He was never "worked into" an OT role, he was never "worked into" an OG role. Why? You claim it's because "WE (DO) NOT LIKE PLAYING ROOKIES!!!," I say it's because he hasn't shown enough. Our staff has worked virutually ever other healthy, first or second round draft pick NOT named Reiff into the lineup their rookie season. Why?

If your argument is now "we don't play rookies" to start the season, which is seemingly what you want to say now (which isn't what you were saying prior), why didn't Reiff ever start or get significant playing time at a real position late in the season? The staff did it with virtually every other first and second round pick. Why not Reiff?

You show me another player that has allegedly shown something, as you say Reiff has, that DIDN'T get a chance to start before the end of the year. Show ANY OTHER first or second round player drafted by Mayhew that DIDN'T get their due for any reason other than an injury.



Sigh...sometimes I think you argue just to do it.

So they didnt basically INVENT a position to start working Reiff into the O-Line last year? did you miss that?

you want another example? How about the Lewis's? both oddly misssing from the field well after we KNEW we werent going to the playoffs. are you really going to tell me that KVB's awesome play kept the one off the field? Or Durant or Levi played so well to keep the other one on the bench?

Fairly was reportedly healthy a couple of weeks before he even saw a snap, and even then he was only used sporatically, untill he injured himself again.

I wish i had enough time to hunt down the old article where Gunny flat out said he doesnt want to start a rookie unless he has to right away, with Swartz agreeing that was the way to go. Personally i didnt like it one bit that we didnt see Palmer and other back up LB's and DE's on the field more at the end of last year or Reiff, Fox, or Hilliard playing more on the Oline. but it is what it is. I can accept it, why cant you?


May 8th, 2013, 1:35 pm
Profile
Butkus Award Winner

Joined: July 3rd, 2012, 2:06 am
Posts: 641
Post Re: Lions' Riley Reiff will start at left tackle after all
wjb21ndtown wrote:
regularjoe12 wrote:
thats not even close to what i said....ever.

All I said was that teh coaching staff prefers to sit rookieas and work them into the offense, as apposed to starting them right away.

I have NEVER said anything about "holding players back that should be starting"


You:
Quote:
our staff DOES NOT LIKE PLAYING ROOKIES!!!


Quote:
they prefer to sit 1st year guys and slowly working them into the action.


Me:
Quote:
Until otherwise is proven, they play the rookies that are ready to play.


Reiff wasn't "slowly worked into any meaningful role." Why? Titus was, Broyles was, every other first round pick was, why not Reiff? He was never "worked into" an OT role, he was never "worked into" an OG role. Why? You claim it's because "WE (DO) NOT LIKE PLAYING ROOKIES!!!," I say it's because he hasn't shown enough. Our staff has worked virutually ever other healthy, first or second round draft pick NOT named Reiff into the lineup their rookie season. Why?

If your argument is now "we don't play rookies" to start the season, which is seemingly what you want to say now (which isn't what you were saying prior), why didn't Reiff ever start or get significant playing time at a real position late in the season? The staff did it with virtually every other first and second round pick. Why not Reiff?

You show me another player that has allegedly shown something, as you say Reiff has, that DIDN'T get a chance to start before the end of the year. Show ANY OTHER first or second round player drafted by Mayhew that DIDN'T get their due for any reason other than an injury.


I think it's Schwartz's ignorance that keeps young guys off the field even if they're better than the current starter. As Joe stated, Fairley wasn't started over Williams when he should have since the day he was healthy. Schwartz's ignorance is the real problem here.

_________________
Image


May 8th, 2013, 1:50 pm
Profile
Post Re: Lions' Riley Reiff will start at left tackle after all
regularjoe12 wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
regularjoe12 wrote:
thats not even close to what i said....ever.

All I said was that teh coaching staff prefers to sit rookieas and work them into the offense, as apposed to starting them right away.

I have NEVER said anything about "holding players back that should be starting"


You:
Quote:
our staff DOES NOT LIKE PLAYING ROOKIES!!!


Quote:
they prefer to sit 1st year guys and slowly working them into the action.


Me:
Quote:
Until otherwise is proven, they play the rookies that are ready to play.


Reiff wasn't "slowly worked into any meaningful role." Why? Titus was, Broyles was, every other first round pick was, why not Reiff? He was never "worked into" an OT role, he was never "worked into" an OG role. Why? You claim it's because "WE (DO) NOT LIKE PLAYING ROOKIES!!!," I say it's because he hasn't shown enough. Our staff has worked virutually ever other healthy, first or second round draft pick NOT named Reiff into the lineup their rookie season. Why?

If your argument is now "we don't play rookies" to start the season, which is seemingly what you want to say now (which isn't what you were saying prior), why didn't Reiff ever start or get significant playing time at a real position late in the season? The staff did it with virtually every other first and second round pick. Why not Reiff?

You show me another player that has allegedly shown something, as you say Reiff has, that DIDN'T get a chance to start before the end of the year. Show ANY OTHER first or second round player drafted by Mayhew that DIDN'T get their due for any reason other than an injury.



Sigh...sometimes I think you argue just to do it.

So they didnt basically INVENT a position to start working Reiff into the O-Line last year? did you miss that?

you want another example? How about the Lewis's? both oddly misssing from the field well after we KNEW we werent going to the playoffs. are you really going to tell me that KVB's awesome play kept the one off the field? Or Durant or Levi played so well to keep the other one on the bench?

Fairly was reportedly healthy a couple of weeks before he even saw a snap, and even then he was only used sporatically, untill he injured himself again.

I wish i had enough time to hunt down the old article where Gunny flat out said he doesnt want to start a rookie unless he has to right away, with Swartz agreeing that was the way to go. Personally i didnt like it one bit that we didnt see Palmer and other back up LB's and DE's on the field more at the end of last year or Reiff, Fox, or Hilliard playing more on the Oline. but it is what it is. I can accept it, why cant you?


No, no, no, no... I want an example of someone that was held back THAT WAS STARTER CALIBER, as you claim Reiff is. Not playing 3rd-5th round guys is not what we're talking about here. We're talking about holding back a first round draft pick, that's allegedly ready to play LT, despite the fact that he couldn't see the field as a starting caliber OG last year.

I don't think we should have "invented" a position for him, I'm saying HE COULDN'T BEAT OUT other starters. That's the whole point. Reiff wasn't held back, HE WASN'T TALENTED ENOUGH TO START.

Not playing "developmental" guys that everyone knows aren't as good as the starters is one thing. Not playing someone that YOU say is starter caliber is a whole other issue.

Fairly is not a good example. He was injured, missed some of camp/pre-season, had surgery, and STILL played more games his rookie year than Reiff did. He was STILL "worked into" the lineup more than Reiff.

Like I said, Reiff was held back by the coaching staff. YOU say it's because they hold back all rookies, I say it's because he wasn't talented enough. I've proven that they're willing to play and start talent when they deserve it, you've proven nothing to the contrary.


May 8th, 2013, 2:01 pm
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: October 20th, 2004, 4:16 pm
Posts: 9764
Location: Where ever I'm at now
Post Re: Lions' Riley Reiff will start at left tackle after all
I say Reiff was held back for a number of reasons.

One - he was not viewed as a better player than the starters. That isn't necessarily a knock on him. Backus was better than most gave him credit for, and Cherilus actually played pretty decently last year. As for moving him to guard, that is another position he would have to have learned, and that's not as easy as it sounds for NFL players.

Two - economics. Peterman, Cherilus and Backus were all making starter money. Reiff is not making as much as they did last year. The Lions weren't going to pay all that money to a backup, so Reiff was left as the backup. I think even if he was good enough to be judged somewhat better than Peterman, the bigger contract keeps Peterman as the starter.

Three - it is well known that Cunningham HATES playing rookies. Schwartz and Linehan don't have that reputation. However, I will say that it seems if all things are equal, the veteran gets the nod over the rookie on this team. Is that because of experience or their contract? I can't say.

_________________
Driver of the 'we need a coaching change' bandwagon. Climb aboard.


May 8th, 2013, 2:10 pm
Profile
3rd Round Selection

Joined: October 19th, 2005, 1:24 pm
Posts: 1112
Location: Nottingham, England
Post Re: Lions' Riley Reiff will start at left tackle after all
m2karateman wrote:

One - he was not viewed as a better player than the starters. That isn't necessarily a knock on him. Backus was better than most gave him credit for, and Cherilus actually played pretty decently last year. As for moving him to guard, that is another position he would have to have learned, and that's not as easy as it sounds for NFL players.

Three - it is well known that Cunningham HATES playing rookies. Schwartz and Linehan don't have that reputation. However, I will say that it seems if all things are equal, the veteran gets the nod over the rookie on this team. Is that because of experience or their contract? I can't say.

Agree with this.

I'd also add that imo continuity is more important on the oline than any other unit. So comparisons with titus, fairley, pett's etc playing time in their rookie season isn't fair - they are on units where rotation is much more natural/commonplace. I think joe makes a good point, too - given what they did with Reiff, they arguably did a fair bit (for an olineman, when you have 2 vets playing solidly at his position) to get him into the lineup.

I wouldn't read anything into how Reiff was used last year to conclude he wasn't ready to start then, let alone not ready to start this year.

That said, I agree with Legend: I think the staff should have used him more at the end of a lost season to try and get some positive confirmation either way.


May 8th, 2013, 2:27 pm
Profile
League MVP
User avatar

Joined: March 30th, 2006, 12:48 am
Posts: 3630
Location: Davison Mi
Post Re: Lions' Riley Reiff will start at left tackle after all
wjb21ndtown wrote:
regularjoe12 wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
regularjoe12 wrote:
thats not even close to what i said....ever.

All I said was that teh coaching staff prefers to sit rookieas and work them into the offense, as apposed to starting them right away.

I have NEVER said anything about "holding players back that should be starting"


You:
Quote:
our staff DOES NOT LIKE PLAYING ROOKIES!!!


Quote:
they prefer to sit 1st year guys and slowly working them into the action.


Me:
Quote:
Until otherwise is proven, they play the rookies that are ready to play.


Reiff wasn't "slowly worked into any meaningful role." Why? Titus was, Broyles was, every other first round pick was, why not Reiff? He was never "worked into" an OT role, he was never "worked into" an OG role. Why? You claim it's because "WE (DO) NOT LIKE PLAYING ROOKIES!!!," I say it's because he hasn't shown enough. Our staff has worked virutually ever other healthy, first or second round draft pick NOT named Reiff into the lineup their rookie season. Why?

If your argument is now "we don't play rookies" to start the season, which is seemingly what you want to say now (which isn't what you were saying prior), why didn't Reiff ever start or get significant playing time at a real position late in the season? The staff did it with virtually every other first and second round pick. Why not Reiff?

You show me another player that has allegedly shown something, as you say Reiff has, that DIDN'T get a chance to start before the end of the year. Show ANY OTHER first or second round player drafted by Mayhew that DIDN'T get their due for any reason other than an injury.



Sigh...sometimes I think you argue just to do it.

So they didnt basically INVENT a position to start working Reiff into the O-Line last year? did you miss that?

you want another example? How about the Lewis's? both oddly misssing from the field well after we KNEW we werent going to the playoffs. are you really going to tell me that KVB's awesome play kept the one off the field? Or Durant or Levi played so well to keep the other one on the bench?

Fairly was reportedly healthy a couple of weeks before he even saw a snap, and even then he was only used sporatically, untill he injured himself again.

I wish i had enough time to hunt down the old article where Gunny flat out said he doesnt want to start a rookie unless he has to right away, with Swartz agreeing that was the way to go. Personally i didnt like it one bit that we didnt see Palmer and other back up LB's and DE's on the field more at the end of last year or Reiff, Fox, or Hilliard playing more on the Oline. but it is what it is. I can accept it, why cant you?


No, no, no, no... I want an example of someone that was held back THAT WAS STARTER CALIBER, as you claim Reiff is. Not playing 3rd-5th round guys is not what we're talking about here. We're talking about holding back a first round draft pick, that's allegedly ready to play LT, despite the fact that he couldn't see the field as a starting caliber OG last year.

I don't think we should have "invented" a position for him, I'm saying HE COULDN'T BEAT OUT other starters. That's the whole point. Reiff wasn't held back, HE WASN'T TALENTED ENOUGH TO START.

Not playing "developmental" guys that everyone knows aren't as good as the starters is one thing. Not playing someone that YOU say is starter caliber is a whole other issue.

Fairly is not a good example. He was injured, missed some of camp/pre-season, had surgery, and STILL played more games his rookie year than Reiff did. He was STILL "worked into" the lineup more than Reiff.

Like I said, Reiff was held back by the coaching staff. YOU say it's because they hold back all rookies, I say it's because he wasn't talented enough. I've proven that they're willing to play and start talent when they deserve it, you've proven nothing to the contrary.


the only thing you have proven is that you are inconsistant. I cant believe you actually put that Pettigrew is "tallented enough to start", after all the hate you have spread about him, and how badly you want him out of town.

If you dont understand where I'm comming from by now, then I dont know what to tell you.


May 8th, 2013, 4:07 pm
Profile
Post Re: Lions' Riley Reiff will start at left tackle after all
regularjoe12 wrote:
the only thing you have proven is that you are inconsistant. I cant believe you actually put that Pettigrew is "tallented enough to start", after all the hate you have spread about him, and how badly you want him out of town.

If you dont understand where I'm comming from by now, then I dont know what to tell you.


There has been nothing inconsistent about any of my positions anywhere on here.

I think Pett sucks, I think he drops too many balls, and I want him gone, but he is a starting caliber TE and he's the best we got. Pett would start on 10-15 teams in this league, maybe more. I don't like him because I don't like inconsistency.

I like M2s argument that makes Reiff a "special case," but I disagree that plugging him in at OG would have disrupted much, IF he was good. Reiff started 1/2 a season at Iowa at OG. It's not like he's never done it. Teams have players step in on the line without any drop off regularly. When things get confusing is when there are multiple replacements, like we're going to have next year (which will probably be your guys next excuse when our OL sucks).


May 8th, 2013, 4:29 pm
League MVP
User avatar

Joined: March 30th, 2006, 12:48 am
Posts: 3630
Location: Davison Mi
Post Re: Lions' Riley Reiff will start at left tackle after all
Our O-line WILL probably look a little rough, especially if Nagy starts over Dom. thats a lot of new faces on one squad. it will probably take 6-8 weeks for them to "gel" and work well as a unit. Ill hold off on any judgemenet untill the 2nd half of the season as to who needs to be replaced.


May 8th, 2013, 4:47 pm
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: October 20th, 2004, 4:16 pm
Posts: 9764
Location: Where ever I'm at now
Post Re: Lions' Riley Reiff will start at left tackle after all
wjb21ndtown wrote:
I like M2s argument that makes Reiff a "special case," but I disagree that plugging him in at OG would have disrupted much, IF he was good. Reiff started 1/2 a season at Iowa at OG. It's not like he's never done it. Teams have players step in on the line without any drop off regularly. When things get confusing is when there are multiple replacements, like we're going to have next year (which will probably be your guys next excuse when our OL sucks).


Where did I say Reiff was a special case? I just stated that I believed there was several possible reasons why he was not put in more as a rookie. None of them, or all of them, may play a part. As for him having played 1/2 a season at OG in college, so what? It doesn't mean he would have been a "plug and play" at the position in the NFL ranks. NFL playbooks are notoriously more complex than college playbooks. If, and only if, the type of offensive system used at Iowa was very similar to what the Lions run, would it have made the adjustment easier.

For all we know wjb, you may be right. Reiff may just not be that good and the Lions could have made yet another draft pick mistake. However, it is IMPOSSIBLE to know that due to what occurred last season. His one showing during the season wasn't enough to judge whether he will be good or bad. His NOT playing during the season can't be used to determine that either. That being the case, Aaron Rodgers sucks because he basically didn't see the field for three years. He was picked in the same round, at about the same spot. Other rookie QBs start right away, so it can be a natural assumption that he is no good because he didn't. It doesn't matter that he was playing behind a HOFer QB. While Backus is not a HOF left tackle, he wasn't a slouch either. I criticized him more than once on these boards, but that doesn't mean he always played poorly.

I think everyone should reserve a judgement until Reiff shows himself to be whatever he was destined to be as an NFL player.

_________________
Driver of the 'we need a coaching change' bandwagon. Climb aboard.


May 9th, 2013, 8:35 pm
Profile
League MVP

Joined: February 11th, 2005, 3:01 pm
Posts: 3504
Location: WSU
Post Re: Lions' Riley Reiff will start at left tackle after all
Quote:
Two - economics. Peterman, Cherilus and Backus were all making starter money. Reiff is not making as much as they did last year. The Lions weren't going to pay all that money to a backup, so Reiff was left as the backup. I think even if he was good enough to be judged somewhat better than Peterman, the bigger contract keeps Peterman as the starter.


I can see this argument early in the year if the players are roughly equal in ability but I dont understand the strategy late in the season. The Lions should have had enough info to know what decision they were going to make with Cherilus and Peterman, and they had some idea that Backus and maybe even Raiola are nearing the end. Fox has played something like 25 snaps in his career, Reiff really only played 5-6 quarters as a true OT and Hilliard hasnt played in 2 years. Even if they are world beaters in practice, their is some growth that comes with experience. Why pass on that opportunity when the playoffs are out of reach and when you have limited resources to fill the needs from outside the organization?


May 9th, 2013, 9:27 pm
Profile
Red Shirt Freshman
User avatar

Joined: April 8th, 2010, 3:24 pm
Posts: 464
Post Re: Lions' Riley Reiff will start at left tackle after all
wjb21ndtown wrote:
I think Pett sucks, I think he drops too many balls, and I want him gone, but he is a starting caliber TE and he's the best we got.


If Pettigrew were cut or traded, who would replace him at TE?

I remember the end of the 'Nineties (back on the Lions email listserv, before there were discussion forums) when everyone (myself included) was either a GROWNer or a GROWLer -- Get Rid of Wayne Now! (mid-season) or Get Rid of Wayne Later (end of the season). So we got rid of Wayne and...replaced him with Bobby ("Elmer Fudd") Ross.

If we get rid of a player or coach, who is to say that the replacement will be any better? Who do you have in mind to replace Pettigrew?


May 10th, 2013, 3:35 pm
Profile
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)
User avatar

Joined: April 5th, 2007, 5:51 pm
Posts: 2270
Post Re: Lions' Riley Reiff will start at left tackle after all
The Legend wrote:
Quote:
Two - economics. Peterman, Cherilus and Backus were all making starter money. Reiff is not making as much as they did last year. The Lions weren't going to pay all that money to a backup, so Reiff was left as the backup. I think even if he was good enough to be judged somewhat better than Peterman, the bigger contract keeps Peterman as the starter.


I can see this argument early in the year if the players are roughly equal in ability but I dont understand the strategy late in the season. The Lions should have had enough info to know what decision they were going to make with Cherilus and Peterman, and they had some idea that Backus and maybe even Raiola are nearing the end. Fox has played something like 25 snaps in his career, Reiff really only played 5-6 quarters as a true OT and Hilliard hasnt played in 2 years. Even if they are world beaters in practice, their is some growth that comes with experience. Why pass on that opportunity when the playoffs are out of reach and when you have limited resources to fill the needs from outside the organization?



Pride. Misplaced Pride, but Pride Nonetheless. Only real explanation. THey were trying to win 1 of those 8 games, and putting in the rooks is "capitulating" even if its better for the team. It was a wasted opportunity.


May 10th, 2013, 3:38 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Team MVP
User avatar

Joined: February 20th, 2007, 10:51 pm
Posts: 3257
Location: Saginaw, MI
Post Re: Lions' Riley Reiff will start at left tackle after all
DJ-B wrote:
The Legend wrote:
Quote:
Two - economics. Peterman, Cherilus and Backus were all making starter money. Reiff is not making as much as they did last year. The Lions weren't going to pay all that money to a backup, so Reiff was left as the backup. I think even if he was good enough to be judged somewhat better than Peterman, the bigger contract keeps Peterman as the starter.


I can see this argument early in the year if the players are roughly equal in ability but I dont understand the strategy late in the season. The Lions should have had enough info to know what decision they were going to make with Cherilus and Peterman, and they had some idea that Backus and maybe even Raiola are nearing the end. Fox has played something like 25 snaps in his career, Reiff really only played 5-6 quarters as a true OT and Hilliard hasnt played in 2 years. Even if they are world beaters in practice, their is some growth that comes with experience. Why pass on that opportunity when the playoffs are out of reach and when you have limited resources to fill the needs from outside the organization?



Pride. Misplaced Pride, but Pride Nonetheless. Only real explanation. THey were trying to win 1 of those 8 games, and putting in the rooks is "capitulating" even if its better for the team. It was a wasted opportunity.


Id have to agree with this. A lot of us would probably say we might as well play some of our rookies because playoffs are literally out of the question, so what are we losing? Im actually one of them. But like DJ-B said, its probably pride. Coaches would probably get fried if they ever admitted their season was done.

_________________
April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.


Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011


May 10th, 2013, 3:57 pm
Profile
League MVP
User avatar

Joined: March 30th, 2006, 12:48 am
Posts: 3630
Location: Davison Mi
Post Re: Lions' Riley Reiff will start at left tackle after all
DJ-B wrote:
The Legend wrote:
Quote:
Two - economics. Peterman, Cherilus and Backus were all making starter money. Reiff is not making as much as they did last year. The Lions weren't going to pay all that money to a backup, so Reiff was left as the backup. I think even if he was good enough to be judged somewhat better than Peterman, the bigger contract keeps Peterman as the starter.


I can see this argument early in the year if the players are roughly equal in ability but I dont understand the strategy late in the season. The Lions should have had enough info to know what decision they were going to make with Cherilus and Peterman, and they had some idea that Backus and maybe even Raiola are nearing the end. Fox has played something like 25 snaps in his career, Reiff really only played 5-6 quarters as a true OT and Hilliard hasnt played in 2 years. Even if they are world beaters in practice, their is some growth that comes with experience. Why pass on that opportunity when the playoffs are out of reach and when you have limited resources to fill the needs from outside the organization?



Pride. Misplaced Pride, but Pride Nonetheless. Only real explanation. THey were trying to win 1 of those 8 games, and putting in the rooks is "capitulating" even if its better for the team. It was a wasted opportunity.


Well I'm certain that's a part of it, but the other side of that coin is player motivation too. While we would all like to say the players give their all no matter what, we as lions fans have witnessed personally players giving up at the end of the season. How is a player expected to give their all when they see starters getting benched just to see what the backup is capable of. While I don't necessarily agree with not playing the younger guys when there is only two weeks left and the playoffs are out of the picture, you can't deny the momentum boost the team got from a late win streak 3 years ago. We started off hot the next year and rode that momentum into the playoffs. I personally think the reason Swartz and co. Decided to keep trying to win each game at the end of last season was an attempt to repeat that.


May 10th, 2013, 6:05 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.