View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently July 25th, 2014, 6:41 am

Reply to topic  [ 652 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44  Next
 Off-Season Moves 
QB Coach

Post Re: Off-Season Moves
wjb21ndtown wrote:
inheritedlionsfan wrote:
I was thinking about Cribbs the other day but figured he'd sign somewhere else before we had a chance to look at him. Glad we're at least scheduling him for a visit. Signing him I think would end Mike Thomas' time here, although Thomas did have better numbers as a receiver (in the first few years of his career).

I'd take Cribbs over Thomas. IMO Thomas may be a better slot receiver, but Cribbs is more dynamic, more versatile (at 6'1" you can play him at #2), and he's a better returner.

As would I. I'm assuming management would cut Thomas if Cribbs was signed, but I guess having both on the roster is possible.

May 9th, 2013, 8:01 pm
Butkus Award Winner

inheritedlionsfan wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
inheritedlionsfan wrote:
I was thinking about Cribbs the other day but figured he'd sign somewhere else before we had a chance to look at him. Glad we're at least scheduling him for a visit. Signing him I think would end Mike Thomas' time here, although Thomas did have better numbers as a receiver (in the first few years of his career).

I'd take Cribbs over Thomas. IMO Thomas may be a better slot receiver, but Cribbs is more dynamic, more versatile (at 6'1" you can play him at #2), and he's a better returner.

As would I. I'm assuming management would cut Thomas if Cribbs was signed, but I guess having both on the roster is possible.

Why is everyone all for cutting Thomas? He's stated that he had a lot of trouble getting comfortable with the playbook. At least give him a season WITH the playbook somewhat down-pat. Maybe he's the speed factor we've been missing and fills the need while Fuller develops.

May 9th, 2013, 10:14 pm
NFL Veteran

Shotty wrote:
inheritedlionsfan wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
inheritedlionsfan wrote:

Why is everyone all for cutting Thomas? He's stated that he had a lot of trouble getting comfortable with the playbook. At least give him a season WITH the playbook somewhat down-pat. Maybe he's the speed factor we've been missing and fills the need while Fuller develops.

5'8'' is why everyone wants to get rid of him. He may have the speed, but they already have a full roster of slot receivers and 5'8'' puts him at a huge disadvantage on the outside.

May 9th, 2013, 11:03 pm
All State

Thomas just seemed "under utilized" last year and I agree, he should be given another chance to see if he makes an impact. I was excited when they signed him but it just didn't seem like he had a chance to do crap when he got here.

If they can get Cribbs for a reasonable price I'm all for it. Relying on a 6th round drafted Rookie RB as a return man doesn't sound like a bright idea. We know what Cribbs is capable of at least.

May 10th, 2013, 12:45 am
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

At this stage in his career Cribbs is worth e bare minimum vet salary with nothing but performance bonuses. He isn't the same hold your breath return guy he used to be and is barely a serviceable #4 WR in the NFL. If after eight years in the league the guy hasn't inured out how to run routes, get open, or even catch the ball he isn't going to magically start doing it now.

May 10th, 2013, 5:11 am
Modmin Dude

MLive wrote:
Detroit Lions' Stephen Tulloch thrilled to be teaming up with Jason Jones again
Print By Justin Rogers | jrogers@mlive.com
on May 09, 2013 at 11:45 AM,
updated May 09, 2013 at 11:50 AM

The Detroit Lions made a pair of splash signings early in free agency, inking running back Reggie Bush and safety Glover Quin. Lost in the shuffle during the team's spending spree was the addition of defensive lineman Jason Jones.

A local product, who played for Southfield-Lathrup high school and Eastern Michigan University before being selected in the second round of the 2008 NFL draft, Jones agreed to a three-year contract with the Lions. He is projected to start at left defensive end.

Linebacker Stephen Tulloch, who was Jones' teammate for three seasons with the Tennessee Titans, says people shouldn't sleep on the acquisition.

"Jason Jones is a talented player," Tulloch said. "I don't know if you guys have seen him play, but he's a very talented guy."

Tulloch praised Jones' ability to play multiple positions along the defensive line.

"He can play the 3-technique inside, he can go outside with the Wide-9," Tulloch said. "He's very explosive from the point of attack, very agile. He creates a big mismatch on third-down situations -- one-on-one with the guard, he can make them miss."

Lions coach Jim Schwartz confirmed the team will occasionally slide Jones inside on third downs.

"He's really a good inside rusher, very disruptive," Schwartz said. "He doesn't have a whole lot of sack production but he impacts the play."

The 6-foot-5, 276-pound Jones offers the Lions a bigger presence on the edge than they've had in recent years with Cliff Avril as the starter. Jones' 37-inch arms, which are among the longest in the NFL for a defensive lineman, also figure to create problems for opposing offensive linemen and quarterbacks.

Jones served as a rotational defensive tackle for the Seattle Seahawks last season, the position where he's played the majority of his career. He did work at defensive end for the Titans in 2011, tallying 27 tackles, three sacks and five pass breakups in 13 starts.

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/20 ... och_2.html

May 10th, 2013, 12:47 pm
NFL Veteran

May 10th, 2013, 10:03 pm
Team MVP

I would take Freeney for the right price. Even for just a year, which could be all hes worth anyway.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

May 11th, 2013, 12:47 am
NFL Veteran

PFT wrote:
Lions awarded DB DeQuan Menzie on waivers
Posted by Mike Wilkening on May 15, 2013, 5:55 PM EDT

The Lions were awarded defensive back DeQuan Menzie on waivers from Kansas City on Wednesday. The move was disclosed in the NFL’s transactions.

The 23-year-old Menzie was a fifth-round pick of the Chiefs in the 2012 draft. He spent last season on injured reserve with a hip flexor injury.

Menzie (5-11, 202) may have the ability to play multiple positions. He was a cornerback at Alabama, and the Chiefs tried him at safety. Menzie also played nickelback for the Crimson Tide.

The Lions have addressed their defensive backfield throughout the offseason. They signed safety Glover Quin and veteran cornerback Ronald Bartell in free agency, and they drafted cornerback Darius Slay in the second round. Also, the Lions re-signed cornerback Chris Houston and safety Louis Delmas. The Lions struggled with injuries in the secondary a season ago, so it is logical they would continue to add to their options on the back end of the defense.

May 15th, 2013, 8:59 pm
NFL Veteran

Quote:
Jeff Backus will serve as a part-time coaching intern for Lions this offseason
Tim Twentyman

Though his family will remain his top priority, Backus will join the Lions’ coaching staff as a part-time coaching intern along the offensive line this offseason
Jeff Backus announced his retirement March 14 after 12 NFL seasons with the Detroit Lions.

A few days after the announcement, Backus said his decision was an easy one because it would allow him to spend more time with his wife and three young children.

Spending quality time with his family is still Backus’ No. 1 priority, but he’ll also stay involved in football in a part-time capacity.

Backus will join the Detroit Lions’ coaching staff as a part-time coaching intern along the offensive line this offseason. He’ll be helping first-year offensive line coach Jeremiah Washburn and first-year assistant offensive line coach Terry Heffernan, when he’s able.

“It really just started with Jeremiah asking me to come in and sit in on meetings and watch some of their workouts and to be a mentor to some of their young offensive tackles,” Backus told Detroitlions.com.

“They don’t have any veteran offensive tackles in the room right now. I still live in the area and he just asked me, when I have time, to come in and do what I’ve always done.”

Backus and Washburn have built a very close friendship since Washburn joined the coaching staff in 2009.

This is strictly a part-time gig for Backus, who completed his career holding the franchise record for consecutive starts (187) and is third all-time in team history for most games played (191).

“My No. 1 thing now that I’m retired is taking care of my responsibilities around the house and taking some trips that we haven’t been able to do and living our life,” Backus said.

“But at the same time, I have a lot of friends with the Lions. I really like the offensive line group. I want to see them succeed. So, when I have time, and I’m available during the offseason program, I’m going to try to be down there and help them out.”

This is an unpaid position for Backus, who said he doesn’t ever envision a full-time coaching role in his future. But he did enjoy working with some of the younger tackles on the roster – including 2012 first-round pick Riley Reiff – toward the tail end of his playing career.

“I realized that I really enjoyed working with them and teaching them and kind of letting them in on some of the stuff I learned throughout my career,” Backus said.

“When I first got drafted by the Lions, we didn’t have a very veteran group. We didn’t have veteran offensive tackles. I always kind of wished we did, just to kind of learn from somebody.

“What I’m trying to do now is just be available when I can. If they have questions about technique or scheme, they can come ask me. (I'm) a guy who’s played and has that experience.”

Backus wasn’t as athletically gifted as other left tackles coming out of college in 2001, but the first-round selection of the Lions carved out a long and productive career because of toughness and good technique.

That should translate well into a mentoring role. He worked a lot with rookie Reiff after practice last year improving his technique.

“I want to see those guys succeed,” Backus said. “I want to see the Lions succeed.”

http://www.detroitlions.com/news/lions-insider/article-1/Jeff-Backus-will-serve-as-a-part-time-coaching-intern-for-Lions-this-offseason/49b3cfaf-4030-4745-abc9-912c3eedb032

May 28th, 2013, 3:28 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Backus Sucked, why would we want him coaching our turds.

j/k - Just had to get that out of the way. Always was OK with Backus but by all accounts a standup guy and this just validates that fact. Glad hes sticking around. Would love to see the same thing happen with KVB.

May 28th, 2013, 3:54 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
League MVP

Lions picked up Thaddeus Lewis former Browns backup QB, in my opinion he s a big upgrade over Moore as No 3 QB and with a possibility of unseating Shaun Hill in a year or two, of course a lot of that depends on the stability of the coaching staff

May 28th, 2013, 7:48 pm
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

Seems like the off-season lull is taking over the board. Saw some interesting news just now, Jake Scott was signed to a 1 year deal, and ofcorse with Leroy Harris already signed we have a very crowded interior OL group. I'd think they'd target OTs.

But more importantly, does this mean we have to start worrying about Warford's injury??

June 4th, 2013, 10:18 am
Veteran General Manager

DayDreamer wrote:
Seems like the off-season lull is taking over the board. Saw some interesting news just now, Jake Scott was signed to a 1 year deal, and ofcorse with Leroy Harris already signed we have a very crowded interior OL group. I'd think they'd target OTs.

But more importantly, does this mean we have to start worrying about Warford's injury??

I don't think so. They love having lots of competition. And by having more bodies, they could find a gem at a position of need.

But, Warford is a road grader. He will be fine. And we will be able to run behind him.

The extra bodies might be about looking at them for later. Maybe even for Rob Sims replacement next year at a cheaper cost.

June 4th, 2013, 10:40 am
Player of the Year - Defense

Mayhew has said a few times, the interior group is very young. They wanted to get some veterans to help the group out during camp. He's just doing what he said he would do.

June 4th, 2013, 11:33 am
Reply to topic   [ 652 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44  Next