View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 2nd, 2014, 8:48 am

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Rookie Camp Wrap-Up 
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Post Rookie Camp Wrap-Up
Quote:
Twentyman: Five players that stood out at rookie mini-camp
http://www.detroitlions.com/news/lions- ... 3cb91368f4
Posted 5 hours ago

Tim Twentyman
Lead Writer

Tim Twentyman weighs in on the top five players - and a few honorable mentions - that stood out to him over the three-day rookie mini-camp

The 49 participants in this weekend's rookie mini-camp were all looking for at least one opportunity to shine in front of Detroit Lions coaches, scouts and front office personnel.

Most did a good job of making an impression, some more than others.

"I just told those guys that every single guy that was here improved their status, whatever that status was, whether they were a guy that was on the practice squad for us last year," Lions head coach Jim Schwartz said Sunday.

"We think more of them after this rookie mini-camp than we did coming into it. We got a chance to see them work. We're pleased with all of our draft picks coming out of this, pleased with the undrafted guys that have come in. There will be some guys that might not get signed, but they might be first in line if we have an injury or we have something else that comes up.

"All of them improved as football players this weekend and, when you're a player, that's what you have to keep your eyes on."

Here are five players in particular who stuck out the most over the three-day camp:

Ezekiel "Ziggy" Ansah, DE: The Lions fell in love with Ansah at the Senior Bowl because of his length, athleticism and the way he was able to take instructions and produce within their scheme. That was all on display this weekend.

Ansah's quickness and the burst in which he gets out of his three-point stance was most impressive. He gets to the point of attack so quickly, there were multiple times he simply blew past blockers before they could react to him.

He still has plenty to learn, but the athleticism for his size certainly isn't a myth.

Patrick Edwards, WR: A member of the Lions' practice squad last year before he was placed on IR (quad), Edwards showed a very good grasp of the offense and at different positions with in it. He also played both inside and outside receiving positions after being mainly an outside receiver last year.

He also returned both punts and kicks. During one particular punt-return drill, in which the returner had to beat two gunners, Edwards showed terrific quickness in the open field and was able to beat both defenders a number of times.

He's come back this year stronger and will have a chance to make the roster.

Joseph Fauria, TE: A priority signing after the draft, Fauria made a number of difficult catches throughout the three practice sessions. He has a big frame at 6-foot-7-and-a-half and an even longer wingspan. I can remember him only dropping one pass the entire weekend.

Fauria will have to work on his blocking, but he certainly looks like he fits the bill of a playmaking tight end down the field.

Cody Wilson, WR: Schwartz probably described Wilson's weekend the best.

"He's got great hands, has good quickness and picks things up really quickly," he said.

"He doesn't drop many passes and he's in the right spot all the time. That's a good start for him."

There you have it. He was also impressive as a punt returner. He's not the fastest of players, but he's got terrific hands and he always fields the ball cleanly.

Corey Fuller, WR: Fuller was advertised as a burner, who can stretch the field opposite Calvin Johnson, but over the course of the weekend he showed really good hands and the ability to get open in the short and intermediate routes as well.

The former track star at Kansas has terrific speed, but is he's going to have a long career in the NFL, he can't be a one-trick pony. He showed that he's got real potential for an all-around game this weekend.

Honorable mention: running back Steven Miller, linebacker Carmen Messina, guard Rodney Austin and tackle LaAdrian Waddle.

URL: http://www.detroitlions.com/news/lions- ... 3cb91368f4

© 2013 Detroit Lions. All rights reserved

I'm excited about this crop of players. Looks like we got some winners in the draft and in undrafted free agency.

May 12th, 2013, 8:33 pm

Post Re: Rookie Camp Wrap-Up
Quote:
5/12/2013
Detroit Lions: Five things learned at rookie minicamp
http://oplions.blogspot.com/2013/05/det ... ed-at.html
The Detroit Lions’ draft picks, along with undrafted signed free agents and try-outs completed a three-day rookie minicamp on Sunday.

Here are five things learned:

1. Ziggy Ansah is really quick off the edge. Yes, he was lined up against undrafted talent on the offensive line, but he was lightning fast — at the quarterback in a flash. No contact allowed, but he would have had several sacks. It’s early but the first look at the first-round pick was positive. Looks like the real deal. (Photo: Ansah during first day of camp by Vaughn Gurganian of The Oakland Press.)

2. With no contact, it is way too difficult to judge offensive line talent. But guard Larry Warford (third-round out of Kentucky) is one solid big specimen. No belly fat . In fact, he said his body fat was down to 24 percent. He lined up at right guard until he was dinged late in Saturday’s session. He worked individual drills only on Sunday. He could have gone, but coach Jim Schwartz like to err on the side of caution.

3. Both tight ends could find themselves on the 53-man roster. Michael Williams (seventh-round out of Alabama) and undrafted rookie free agent Joe Fauria (UCLA) mixed and matched throughout the minicamp. Fauria is 6-foot-7 and Williams 6-foot-6 could create interesting matchup problems. Fauria said he has a permanent chip on his shoulder because he wasn’t drafted and will do anything to make the roster. These two will push Brandon Pettigrew and Tony Scheffler (both in the last year of their contracts). Williams is known as more of a blocking tight end, but he can catch. Fauria, who is thin, excels more at catching and, in fact, lined up in his senior season as a slot receiver.

4. Steven Miller, undrafted running back out of Appalachian State, was buzzing on the field. He’s tiny at 5-foot-7 and 172, but is slippery when he’s running the ball. Loved the fact that during one return drill on Sunday he was making his way back to the group after his attempt, when he noticed the next guy up wasn’t paying attention. So Miller stepped right in and got an extra repetition. Guarantee you the coaches saw that on the field and on film.

5. Wide receiver Corey Fuller (sixth round out of Virginia Tech) is light on football experience, but he was one of the standouts of the weekend. He has size (6-foot-2) and speed. Last season he averaged 18 yards per catch at Virgnia Tech. Long way to go, but Lions need help at wide receiver. Fuller is off to a good start.

(Follow @PaulaPasche on Twitter. Order her book, “100 Things Lions Fans Should Know & Do Before They Die’’ here. It’s also available at bookstores.)

posted by Paula Pasche at 7:24 PM 0 comments

May 12th, 2013, 8:39 pm
League MVP

Warford no belly fat? what?

May 12th, 2013, 10:04 pm
NFL Veteran

The Legend wrote:

Haha, I agree. He must mean he's not flabby.

May 12th, 2013, 11:41 pm
Div 1 - Starter

The Legend wrote:

He's been working with a dietitian/nutrition counselor as well as working with a trainer, so he's dropped fat and added muscle mass. I suspect he's going to be a real road grader at RG.

May 13th, 2013, 1:43 pm
JL wrote:
The Legend wrote:

He's been working with a dietitian/nutrition counselor as well as working with a trainer, so he's dropped fat and added muscle mass. I suspect he's going to be a real road grader at RG.

I think the issue is that he looks flabby in the camp photos. Not that he's not allowed to be flabby, but to look at a pic if the man you can't honestly say that he has no belly fat.

May 13th, 2013, 2:02 pm

Quote:
Observations from Detroit Lions rookie minicamp
http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/20 ... _lion.html
Justin Rogers | jrogers@mlive.com By Justin Rogers | jrogers@mlive.com
on May 13, 2013 at 6:05 AM

ALLEN PARK -- The Detroit Lions concluded a three-day rookie minicamp on Sunday. It was the first taste of professional football for the majority of the 50 players who participated.
Here are some observations from the weekend.
-- Defensive end Ezekiel Ansah showcased the athleticism and explosion that made him the fifth overall pick in the 2013 NFL draft.
Ansah has remarkable acceleration off the snap and most of the offensive tackle prospects couldn't get out of their stances quickly enough to stop the 271-pound defensive end from getting into the backfield with regularity.
He also showed the ability to transition from speed to power, getting better with the use of his hands through the weekend as defensive line coach Kris Kocurek relentlessly worked on Ansah's technique.
Ansah did get caught out of position a few times on misdirection, which is to be expected. Play recognition will be an important area of development throughout the offseason.
-- Although Larry Warford's weekend was cut short by a neck injury, the third-round pick was dominant against the defensive tackle prospects in camp. Warford showed excellent lateral movement, staying in front of his responsibility and neutralizing the pass-rush.
It was a very small sample size, but Warford also showed surprising quickness when asked to pull or get to the second level and put a body on a linebacker.
-- Undrafted free agent running back Steven Miller is lightning quick when changing direction and appears to need only a few steps to accelerate to top speed. He's definitely on the small side, but it will interesting to see how he fares competing as a return man.
-- Two wide receivers who really stood out were Cody Wilson and returning practice squader Patrick Edwards. Wilson showed excellent hands all weekend, catching nearly everything thrown his direction. He also looked very comfortable during the punt return drills.
Edwards' talent was apparent last year and he picked up right where he left off. He has outstanding hands, runs great routes and gets good separation with his quickness. He has an excellent shot of making the 53-man roster if he can stay healthy.
-- As a fifth-round draft pick, Sam Martin will enter training camp with a leg up (puns!) in the punting competition. Still, people shouldn't sleep on Blake Clingan, a free agent the Lions added this offseason. Both displayed plenty of power, more than any punter Detroit has had on its roster the past few seasons
When they were hitting them square, Martin and Clingan were sending balls 55 yards deep with better than five seconds of hang time. Improving consistency will be key for both players.
-- The Lions kept Håvard Rugland under wraps most of the weekend, but let him boot some kickoffs from midfield during a return drill. There's not much to evaluate in that situation, but his power was evident. He was clearly holding back and easily hitting balls to the back of the end zone. There's little question he could still consistently generate touchbacks when moved back to the 30-yard line.
-- With several new position coaches, there were plenty of new individual drills being run during practice. One, for special teams, had two gunners running full speed down the hash marks, attempting to prevent a kick returner from getting to the outside.
On one snap, Wilson was being tracked by Ansah and Devin Taylor. The huge defensive ends with long arms barreled down the field and seemed to have Wilson bottled up, but the wide receiver snapped off a quick spin move to sneak past the reach of Ansah.
-- Quarterback Alex Carder looked comfortable in these first practices. He had decent arm strength and good timing on his throws. He also made several nice hot reads during 11-on-11 drills, identifying the blitzer and quickly finding the open man.
He looked better than Kellen Moore did at this stage last season, but the comparison is difficult because the Lions had more young talent in the back seven in 2012 with five draft picks playing either cornerback or linebacker.
-- Offensive tackle LaAdrian Waddle, an undrafted free agent, showed a marketable skill set. He was clearly the player who posed the biggest challenge for Ansah during the three practices. Waddle is big, long and moves well on his feet. As we wrote over the weekend, he's raw with his technique, but the potential is evident.
-- Finally, tight end Joesph Fauria showed excellent hands, particularly in traffic. He's not particularly quick, but he clearly knows how to use his length to his advantage.
© MLive.com. All rights reserved.

May 13th, 2013, 3:12 pm

I have a sick feeling that EVERY TE on our roster will outplay Pettigrew in camp and pre-season yet Pettigrew will still be our starting TE. Same thing with Leshoure

May 14th, 2013, 7:16 pm
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

Killwill25 wrote:
I have a sick feeling that EVERY TE on our roster will outplay Pettigrew in camp and pre-season yet Pettigrew will still be our starting TE. Same thing with Leshoure

bush will be our starter for sure. No doubts about it. Yer prolly right bout Pett though. Sigh

May 14th, 2013, 7:21 pm
Killwill25 wrote:

It depends what you mean by "outplaying." I can honestly say that I don't think any of them can block better than Pett. He's been in the league what? Three years now? And he's had to pick things up that a rookie just flat out can't know. But I do think that virtually all of them will be more consistent with their hands, and have better attitudes.

May 14th, 2013, 7:22 pm
QB Coach

wjb21ndtown wrote:
Killwill25 wrote:

It depends what you mean by "outplaying." I can honestly say that I don't think any of them can block better than Pett. He's been in the league what? Three years now? And he's had to pick things up that a rookie just flat out can't know. But I do think that virtually all of them will be more consistent with their hands, and have better attitudes.

Also, you have to keep in mind that when you're watching the preseason, a guy playing on the 2nd or 3rd string against other 2nd or 3rd stringers might look great, but he can't reproduce that against 1st teamers. So many times we see guys seem to light it up in the preseason only to fall completely flat once regular season play starts. The level of competition makes a huge difference.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson

May 15th, 2013, 12:06 am
5th Round Pick - Traded

We don't watch the mini camp so we can't form our own opinion. For me, the best indication of a good set of picks is Mel Kiper Jr questioning why Mayhew didn't pick who Kiper would have thought he'd pick. Let's face it, as already pointed out, these guys are going at in in a stripped down version of the schemes and against mosst others with little NFL experience. Mostly it is talent v. talent and three days doesn't give you a good idea of how well the new talent is going to be.

I'm just happy with the first three picks because Mayhew finally got it right and used need as part of his BPA accessment. I know that the Lions claim they didn't use 'need' as a basis for drafting players, that it was mostly just coincidence, but I'd only fall for that in one pick, not the first three.

It is nice that they have shown well, but it is nicer that Mayhew isn't overpaying aging veterans to pulg and play hoping to find a diamond in the rough in the late rounds that eventually develops.

May 15th, 2013, 3:38 pm
RIP Killer

Every year we see an article or articles like this....who stood out at rookie camp and how that might impact the final roster. Trust me, the final roster is already about 90% set in the minds of the coaching staff. The only thing that will change it is injuries or a rookie that just blows away the competition. We already know that Ansah and Warford are likely to be immediate starters. Martin is more than likely going to be our punter. I suspect Michael Williams will make the team as the third or fourth TE. Slay is in, as is Taylor. If Fuller can impress, he may stick, but the Lions may want to try and stash him on the PS for the first season. That leaves Riddick and Hepburn as the remaining Lions pick, and I strongly suspect both of them will be waived. Whether the Lions add them to the PS or not will depend on their showings.

At this point, I see the roster shaking down this way:

QB - Stafford, Hill, Moore (yes, they will keep three QBs again)
RB - Bush, LeShoure, Bell, Chapas
TE - Pettigrew, Scheffler, Williams
WR - Johnson, Burleson, Broyles, Edwards, Fuller, Durham
OL - Reiff, Fox, Hilliard, Sims, Austin, Nagy, Warford, Raiola, Gandy
ST - Akers, Martin, Muhlbach
DL - Ansah, Jones, Young, Lewis, Taylor, Suh, Fairley, Mosley, Brooks
LB - Tulloch, Whitehead, Lewis, Levy, Palmer, Greenwood
CB - Houston, Bartell, Slay, Bentley, Green, Greenwood
S - Quin, Delmas, Wendling, Silva

May 16th, 2013, 1:12 pm
Player of the Year - Defense

I knew there was talk about working Durham at TE, so that might impact things a bit. Also, don't forget Mike Thomas since we already paid is $1mil roster bonus back in March. Logan was listed at RB last season, so they might end up keeping an extra roster spot for whoever takes that role. But I agree, I think about 90% of the roster is set and the rest will end up being those that get the coaches attention come the first preseason game and the quick cycle of cuts thereafter.

May 16th, 2013, 2:04 pm
RIP Killer

njroar wrote:
I knew there was talk about working Durham at TE, so that might impact things a bit. Also, don't forget Mike Thomas since we already paid is $1mil roster bonus back in March. Logan was listed at RB last season, so they might end up keeping an extra roster spot for whoever takes that role. But I agree, I think about 90% of the roster is set and the rest will end up being those that get the coaches attention come the first preseason game and the quick cycle of cuts thereafter.

I listed Durham as a WR, but I know he's been working at TE. Since the coaching staff likes versatility, it is a reason why I had him making the roster. Same thing with them having five DEs. With Jones being able to move inside in certain packages, they can keep four DTs and five DEs.

I think Logan is done, and the team keeps Patrick Edwards as a return man. Not to mention the fact that there are others who can return the ball as well.

May 16th, 2013, 9:21 pm
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next