View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 23rd, 2014, 6:30 pm

Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 New 2014 NFL Mock Draft 
Baton Girl

Post New 2014 NFL Mock Draft
Hi guys, for those of you interested, I've put together an early look at some of the top prospects of the 2014 NFL Draft. Ideally to just get an idea of who to look for in this upcoming College season. Let me know what you think

http://www.footballdraftnotebook.com/MockDraft2014.html

*The order was determined by the Vegas Superbowl odds as of last week

May 12th, 2013, 7:57 pm
Profile WWW
Post Re: New 2014 NFL Mock Draft
DFlo wrote:
Hi guys, for those of you interested, I've put together an early look at some of the top prospects of the 2014 NFL Draft. Ideally to just get an idea of who to look for in this upcoming College season. Let me know what you think

IMO you lose credibility with having Clowney not #1.

I also think that Lewan could have possibly been the #1 overall pick this year if he had performed well at the combines. I was shocked that anyone passed Joeckel, but I think Lewan could have passed Fisher had he came out. If he has a good year this year, he'll be in the top 10 for sure, maybe even top 5.

May 12th, 2013, 8:18 pm
Team MVP

wjb21ndtown wrote:
DFlo wrote:

I also think that Lewan could have possibly been the #1 overall pick this year if he had performed well at the combines. I was shocked that anyone passed Joeckel, but I think Lewan could have passed Fisher had he came out. If he has a good year this year, he'll be in the top 10 for sure, maybe even top 5.

Agree. At this point, if u are picking #1, regardless of your needs, you'd be dumb passing on Clowney.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

May 13th, 2013, 1:28 am
Baton Girl

I disagree, I think you with the franchise QB first over all needs. Despite how talented Clowney is

May 13th, 2013, 6:40 pm
Profile WWW
DFlo wrote:
I disagree, I think you with the franchise QB first over all needs. Despite how talented Clowney is

Because that's what happened last year?

IMO you're going to start seeing much more of what happened last year - meaning, the player that is truly the most talented will get drafted #1 overall.

If a QB is going to pass Clowney on the draft boards, he's going to have to be one helluva prospect.

May 14th, 2013, 9:36 am
QB Coach

wjb21ndtown wrote:
DFlo wrote:

IMO you're going to start seeing much more of what happened last year - meaning, the player that is truly the most talented will get drafted #1 overall.

If a QB is going to pass Clowney on the draft boards, he's going to have to be one helluva prospect.

I agree on all counts. The new rookie wage scale has changed things dramatically. Teams are no longer tied into ridiculous contracts so they can take the best player, regardless of position (for the most part). The only way I see Clowney not being the top pick is if he gets injured or has a terrible season.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson

May 14th, 2013, 9:38 am
Touchdown Jesus wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
DFlo wrote:

I agree on all counts. The new rookie wage scale has changed things dramatically. Teams are no longer tied into ridiculous contracts so they can take the best player, regardless of position (for the most part). The only way I see Clowney not being the top pick is if he gets injured or has a terrible season.

What's kind of funny... To me it seems like the rookie wage scale should make Qbs at the top of the draft more in demand, after all, you're getting a "high dollar" position on the cheap, but it's had the exact opposite effect thus far.

I guess I understand the mentality that, if you're going to be paying someone $10M per year drafting #1 overall, it had better be a QB, LT, DE, but IMO it's poor investing to not take the player that best helps your ball club.

It seems like the "rookie wage scale" has helped teams to think and "invest" more clearly. IDK, just thought it was odd...

- end derailment -

May 14th, 2013, 9:42 am
Team MVP

wjb21ndtown wrote:
DFlo wrote:

Well said.

Besides, doing a mock RIGHT NOW is kinda pointless anyway.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

May 14th, 2013, 1:36 pm
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

wjb21ndtown wrote:
DFlo wrote:

And just to further derail the thread O:)

Anyone else notice that the last 2 non qb's drafted #1 overall were left tackles from Michigan? ( the state...not necessarily the university)

Go fat guys from the mitten state!!!

May 14th, 2013, 7:18 pm
regularjoe12 wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
DFlo wrote:

And just to further derail the thread O:)

Anyone else notice that the last 2 non qb's drafted #1 overall were left tackles from Michigan? ( the state...not necessarily the university)

Go fat guys from the mitten state!!!

We have a shot (albeit a small one with Clowney floating around out there) of having Taylor L be #1 over all in next years draft... "Corn fed" nothin'... Michigan MADE...

May 14th, 2013, 7:24 pm
Hall of Fame Player

wjb21ndtown wrote:
DFlo wrote:

The fact that he thinks we still run a cover 2 defense loses his credibility for me. We haven't run cover 2 in over 3 years. At least not as our base defense.

May 14th, 2013, 7:38 pm
Team MVP

BillySims wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
DFlo wrote:

The fact that he thinks we still run a cover 2 defense loses his credibility for me. We haven't run cover 2 in over 3 years. At least not as our base defense.

Kinda thought the same thing.

May 14th, 2013, 8:52 pm
RIP Killer

kdsberman wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
DFlo wrote:

Agree. At this point, if u are picking #1, regardless of your needs, you'd be dumb passing on Clowney.

Not intending to pick on you kdsberman, but this is why statements like this should never be made so far in advance of the draft. Remember Jake Locker was a lock (pun intended) to be the first overall after his junior season, stayed, and then was considered a reach by the Titans at 8th overall. Same thing with Leinart. Same thing with a number of others over the years.

While Clowney has incredible physical gifts, he is yet another example of a player who has been coddled and has gotten by on just his athletic talents, but has never really had to apply himself. Up and until he 'gets it' and begins to work toward becoming a great player, he's going to continue a slide down the draft boards of teams.

That said, what I have found is that players who slide down the draft board during their final college seasons and then get drafted never play to what was believed to be their potential. There are a few exceptions, but not many. However, players who are rated highly at the end of the college season, but then slide down afterward before the draft, usually become deals for the teams that draft them, as the reason for their slide is usually something trivial and has nothing to do with their production.

Likewise, those players who meteorically rise just before the draft, usually don't turn out to be very good players. Jason Smith is an example of that. Nobody knew who he was, then suddenly he just rockets up draft boards and gets taken second overall by the Rams. Enormous bust.

October 11th, 2013, 12:39 pm
Team MVP

m2karateman wrote:
kdsberman wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
DFlo wrote:

Not intending to pick on you kdsberman, but this is why statements like this should never be made so far in advance of the draft. Remember Jake Locker was a lock (pun intended) to be the first overall after his junior season, stayed, and then was considered a reach by the Titans at 8th overall. Same thing with Leinart. Same thing with a number of others over the years.

While Clowney has incredible physical gifts, he is yet another example of a player who has been coddled and has gotten by on just his athletic talents, but has never really had to apply himself. Up and until he 'gets it' and begins to work toward becoming a great player, he's going to continue a slide down the draft boards of teams.

That said, what I have found is that players who slide down the draft board during their final college seasons and then get drafted never play to what was believed to be their potential. There are a few exceptions, but not many. However, players who are rated highly at the end of the college season, but then slide down afterward before the draft, usually become deals for the teams that draft them, as the reason for their slide is usually something trivial and has nothing to do with their production.

Likewise, those players who meteorically rise just before the draft, usually don't turn out to be very good players. Jason Smith is an example of that. Nobody knew who he was, then suddenly he just rockets up draft boards and gets taken second overall by the Rams. Enormous bust.

No worries here.

As a matter of fact, you are correct. At the time I wrote about being dumb to pass on him was before the college season, and now he is apparently taking plays off, not playing to his fullest, and word is he has a lack of motivation and doesnt participate in all team drills at practice because he feels he is exempt from some.

Red flag.

I have no doubt in my mind Clowney will not go #1 overall next year.

October 11th, 2013, 2:24 pm
NFL Veteran

I wouldn't be surprised if Clowney still goes No.1 overall. Once the combine happens and if he does well in his interviews he'll be right back on the top of the list of prospects. He's getting a lot of heat right now, but he still has a lot of good tape from his previous years.

October 11th, 2013, 7:38 pm
Reply to topic   [ 48 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next