View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 18th, 2014, 7:50 pm

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Rookie Camp Wrap-Up 
League MVP

Post Re: Rookie Camp Wrap-Up
m2karateman wrote:
Every year we see an article or articles like this....who stood out at rookie camp and how that might impact the final roster. Trust me, the final roster is already about 90% set in the minds of the coaching staff. The only thing that will change it is injuries or a rookie that just blows away the competition. We already know that Ansah and Warford are likely to be immediate starters. Martin is more than likely going to be our punter. I suspect Michael Williams will make the team as the third or fourth TE. Slay is in, as is Taylor. If Fuller can impress, he may stick, but the Lions may want to try and stash him on the PS for the first season. That leaves Riddick and Hepburn as the remaining Lions pick, and I strongly suspect both of them will be waived. Whether the Lions add them to the PS or not will depend on their showings.

At this point, I see the roster shaking down this way:

QB - Stafford, Hill, Moore (yes, they will keep three QBs again)
RB - Bush, LeShoure, Bell, Chapas
TE - Pettigrew, Scheffler, Williams
WR - Johnson, Burleson, Broyles, Edwards, Fuller, Durham
OL - Reiff, Fox, Hilliard, Sims, Austin, Nagy, Warford, Raiola, Gandy
ST - Akers, Martin, Muhlbach
DL - Ansah, Jones, Young, Lewis, Taylor, Suh, Fairley, Mosley, Brooks
LB - Tulloch, Whitehead, Lewis, Levy, Palmer, Greenwood
CB - Houston, Bartell, Slay, Bentley, Green, Greenwood
S - Quin, Delmas, Wendling, Silva

QB - agree, though the Kellen Moore slot is a waste
RB - I guess Chapas has a chance to stick as an H-back/lead blocker but I d put Riddick ahead of him right now
TE - agree, if Williams can take some H-back duties that would maybe kick Chapas off the roster
WR - Edwards needs to be able to field punts to make the team, something he struggled with a year ago. I dont see Durham making the team, he s just not very good and they d be better off developing Fuller. Mike Thomas should be ahead of Durham and Edwards.
OL - I see Austin maybe taking another PS year and a veteran added to the tackle situation
ST - agree
DL - agree though I wouldnt be surprised if Taylor doesnt make the team, Yes I know he s a 4th rd pick but IMO he s just not a good football player despite his workouts and size. Not sure who Brooks is but I think they need a better rotational player at DT especially with the weak depth they have at DE, Jones wont be shifting down all that much.
LB - Is that Greenwood at LB? I think Messina maybe gets a shot bc Palmer will leave a void on the special teams if he s going to start opposite Levy. Hepburn would be in the running for a kick coverage role as well.
CB - agree but hopefully Slay and Bentley work there way ahead of Bartell
S - I think Don Carey and Spievey are both quite a bit better than Silva though Silva is a better ST player than Spievey.

May 16th, 2013, 10:30 pm
NFL Veteran

The Legend wrote:
m2karateman wrote:
Every year we see an article or articles like this....who stood out at rookie camp and how that might impact the final roster. Trust me, the final roster is already about 90% set in the minds of the coaching staff. The only thing that will change it is injuries or a rookie that just blows away the competition. We already know that Ansah and Warford are likely to be immediate starters. Martin is more than likely going to be our punter. I suspect Michael Williams will make the team as the third or fourth TE. Slay is in, as is Taylor. If Fuller can impress, he may stick, but the Lions may want to try and stash him on the PS for the first season. That leaves Riddick and Hepburn as the remaining Lions pick, and I strongly suspect both of them will be waived. Whether the Lions add them to the PS or not will depend on their showings.

RB - I guess Chapas has a chance to stick as an H-back/lead blocker but I d put Riddick ahead of him right now
TE - agree, if Williams can take some H-back duties that would maybe kick Chapas off the roster
WR - Edwards needs to be able to field punts to make the team, something he struggled with a year ago. I dont see Durham making the team, he s just not very good and they d be better off developing Fuller. Mike Thomas should be ahead of Durham and Edwards.
OL - I see Austin maybe taking another PS year and a veteran added to the tackle situation
ST - agree
DL - agree though I wouldnt be surprised if Taylor doesnt make the team, Yes I know he s a 4th rd pick but IMO he s just not a good football player despite his workouts and size. Not sure who Brooks is but I think they need a better rotational player at DT especially with the weak depth they have at DE, Jones wont be shifting down all that much.
LB - Is that Greenwood at LB? I think Messina maybe gets a shot bc Palmer will leave a void on the special teams if he s going to start opposite Levy. Hepburn would be in the running for a kick coverage role as well.
S - I think Don Carey and Spievey are both quite a bit better than Silva though Silva is a better ST player than Spievey.

There is no way Taylor isn't on the roster. Lewis was in like one series if even that last year and they still kept him on the roster the whole season. Taylor is to physically gifted for them to not give him a full year on the roster to show something.

May 16th, 2013, 10:42 pm
League MVP

rao wrote:
The Legend wrote:
m2karateman wrote:

ST - agree

There is no way Taylor isn't on the roster. Lewis was in like one series if even that last year and they still kept him on the roster the whole season. Taylor is to physically gifted for them to not give him a full year on the roster to show something.

he s showed nothing two years in a row at South Carolina other than workout numbers. I dont think he can play, Lewis didnt crack the lineup last year but what I saw from him in preseason last year was better than Taylor. Lewis comes off the ball and plays with better leverage and power. Taylor doesnt have much power on the field bc he plays with poor leverage and maybe the worst awareness I ve seen of any player. He has some speed and long arms but I doubt he changes direction as well as Lewis. I hope he s better than the impression of him that I have but IMO Taylor is a player that shouldnt have been drafted and was better off trying to develop as a practice squad player bc he needs to be stripped of all his natural instints and retaught how to play from the most basic fundamentals.

May 18th, 2013, 9:07 am
NFL Veteran

The Legend wrote:
rao wrote:
The Legend wrote:
m2karateman wrote:

ST - agree

he s showed nothing two years in a row at South Carolina other than workout numbers. I dont think he can play, Lewis didnt crack the lineup last year but what I saw from him in preseason last year was better than Taylor. Lewis comes off the ball and plays with better leverage and power. Taylor doesnt have much power on the field bc he plays with poor leverage and maybe the worst awareness I ve seen of any player. He has some speed and long arms but I doubt he changes direction as well as Lewis. I hope he s better than the impression of him that I have but IMO Taylor is a player that shouldnt have been drafted and was better off trying to develop as a practice squad player bc he needs to be stripped of all his natural instints and retaught how to play from the most basic fundamentals.

I wasn't comparing Taylor to Lewis as a player, all I'm saying is the Lions aren't going to throw away a 4th rd pick with physical gifts in his first year. Worse case scenario is he's on the kick blocking team because of his long arms. With Washburn there I'm sure this coaching staff feels they can teach anyone how to be a good Dlineman.

May 18th, 2013, 10:47 am
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2