View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 25th, 2014, 9:05 pm

Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Stephen Tulloch named to NFL top 100 list 
Post Stephen Tulloch named to NFL top 100 list
Really? Are you kidding me?

Stafford is ranked #76, Tulloch is ranked #63.

What a damn joke. No link, look it up if you'd like. It was a Facebook article and I'm on my phone.

Here's the article:

Stephen Tulloch is humbled to join teammate Matthew Stafford on the NFL Network's Top 100 players list, coming in at No. 63

Add linebacker Stephen Tulloch to the list of Lions players who are considered among the top 100 in the NFL by their peers. Tulloch checks in at No. 63 on the NFL Network's Top 100 Players list. This is the third year current NFL players have voted to determine the top 100 players in the league.

"Players vote you on this list," said Tulloch. "To have the respect of my peers in the NFL looking at me as a player to be on such a list like is humble for me because I'll never forget where I started and how the odds were always against me.

"It's just cool to be on the list. I don't care if it was 100, just to be on the list is good."

Tulloch, who hasn't missed a game in his seven-year career, recorded his fourth-consecutive 100-tackle season in 2012. He's durable, he's dependable and his peers have taken notice.

"Players know what we go through and what it takes to go through a day-to-day process of being a professional football player as far as taking care of your body. In my instance, never missing a game and what you have to do to stay at a high level," he said.

"You know sometimes you're beat up and banged up and you have to find a way to dig deep and go out there and perform week-in and week-out. It's different from an evaluator, who sits back and is just watching the game as a fan to be like, 'Oh yeah, put him, him and him on that list,' not knowing what it takes to go through to be out there, be healthy, to be productive each and every week.

"I think players can relate to that and understand the grind and the grittiness of it and the fans can sit back and critique. 'Oh yeah, why didn't he make that tackle?' not knowing that your outside help didn't help you out."

Tulloch says it's been quite the journey to go from an undersized fourth-round draft pick out of North Carolina State to being considered one of the best at his craft.

He left school early to enter the NFL. He was drafted by the Tennessee Titans – and then-defensive coordinator Jim Schwartz -- in the fourth round in 2006. He began as a special teams player, and though he played in all 32 regular season games his first two seasons, made only four starts.

"My whole journey getting to this point in my career, I never really looked at accolades," Tulloch said. "Just always tried to get better every year in what I did and prolong my career and be a professional on and off the field."

It's a good week for Tulloch, who is also being honored Friday in Novi at the Gridiron Greats Hall of Fame Dinner as the recipient of the Detroit Lions' 2012 Ron Kramer Award as the team's unsung hero.

Quarterback Matthew Stafford was named the 76th-best player on the Top 100 list last week. It's expected that defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh and receiver Calvin Johnson will also find themselves on the list at some point.

May 16th, 2013, 9:03 pm
League MVP

Post Re: Stephen Tulloch named to NFL top 100 list
are you sure it wasnt based on 2011 season? i didnt think he was as good in 2012

May 16th, 2013, 10:11 pm
Rookie Player of the Year

It's based on player votes.

May 16th, 2013, 10:19 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

I am so glad he made it and he deserved a spot last season as well. He is the rock of our defense which put our watered down offense in position to win the game atleast 80% of the time. when HE misses tackles plays usual pop for 30-40 which is why he is so huge. he made the list for being a run stopper and in a lot of cases he is our back 7. he gets exposed in the passing game but some of that could be attributed to bad safety play, everyone knows he has no business covering 1on1. He is definetley the best MLB in our division tho

May 17th, 2013, 4:33 am
Hall of Fame Player

Killwill25 wrote:
I am so glad he made it and he deserved a spot last season as well. He is the rock of our defense which put our watered down offense in position to win the game atleast 80% of the time. when HE misses tackles plays usual pop for 30-40 which is why he is so huge. he made the list for being a run stopper and in a lot of cases he is our back 7. he gets exposed in the passing game but some of that could be attributed to bad safety play, everyone knows he has no business covering 1on1. He is definetley the best MLB in our division tho

Not much of a run stopper. Run stoppers stop the run at the line of scrimmage or after maybe a 2 yard gain. Once Tulloch has stopped the run, it's usually 5 or more yards down field. I was very high on us getting him when we did. But, he has been nothing short of a disappointment to me since. Lot's of tackles. Most of them 5 or more yards downfield.

May 17th, 2013, 11:41 am
Killwill25 wrote:

Are you kidding me? He deserved to be on the NFL' list of top 100 players last year?

Top 100 players we're talking about here, not top 100 linebackers... I don't even think that Tulloch should make the list of the top 100 NFL DEFENSIVE players. I'm fairly certain I can find an average of 3 players per team that I'd rather have over Tulloch, but that's not even what this article is discussing... Offensive and defensive players, you're telling me that there's only two players per TEAM, on both sides of the ball, that you'd rather have over Tulloch?

Sometimes I wonder if other players vote in Lions just so we'll have to over-pay guys to keep them here...

May 17th, 2013, 11:57 am
NFL Veteran

Tulloch being voted in has more to do with how nice a guy he is than how good a player he is. This is no different from the pro bowl where lots of other factors are used by the voters, its not just their ability to play their position. Most the players don't even watch games enough to reasonably decide who the top 100 players are and I'm sure they just vote for their friends when they run out of big names to throw on the list. These things are all just fluff to keep everyone talking about the NFL during the off-season.

May 17th, 2013, 12:27 pm
Rookie Player of the Year

wjb21ndtown wrote:
Sometimes I wonder if other players vote in Lions just so we'll have to over-pay guys to keep them here...

May 17th, 2013, 10:12 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Quote:

I guess that would be the only logical explaination

May 18th, 2013, 1:12 am
League MVP

I wouldnt put Tulloch in the top 100 but i disagree with the sentiment that he s a bad player. he has excellent instincts and is one of the faster players for the position, he doesnt seem to miss a lot of tackles. i think he gets caught in the wash every now and then but the lions scheme on the d-line doesnt really do tulloch or any of the LBers any favors as the DL takes itself right out of delayed runs, whams, trap and counter type plays routinely. the dl really plays with no discipline and that makes the LBs job much more difficult. im not blaming the DLman themselves, i think its a result of a BS scheme where Schwartz essentially has overreacted to the general NFL shift towards passing. high draft picks like suh, fairley, ansah should have the talent to be able to play both run and pass and learn how to react to the OL attempts at blocking them. the way the Lions have been taking high draft picks and turning them into one-trick ponies geared mostly towards rushing the passer is a waste and a philosophy I totally disagree with. if you are taking a player that high you need that player to be a complete player.

May 18th, 2013, 8:55 am
RIP Killer

Tulloch isn't the only player in the top 100 that is questionable, we just question him because we are so familiar with him. Good for Stephen.

May 20th, 2013, 9:23 am
Profile WWW
The Legend wrote:
I wouldnt put Tulloch in the top 100 but i disagree with the sentiment that he s a bad player. he has excellent instincts and is one of the faster players for the position, he doesnt seem to miss a lot of tackles. i think he gets caught in the wash every now and then but the lions scheme on the d-line doesnt really do tulloch or any of the LBers any favors as the DL takes itself right out of delayed runs, whams, trap and counter type plays routinely. the dl really plays with no discipline and that makes the LBs job much more difficult. im not blaming the DLman themselves, i think its a result of a BS scheme where Schwartz essentially has overreacted to the general NFL shift towards passing. high draft picks like suh, fairley, ansah should have the talent to be able to play both run and pass and learn how to react to the OL attempts at blocking them. the way the Lions have been taking high draft picks and turning them into one-trick ponies geared mostly towards rushing the passer is a waste and a philosophy I totally disagree with. if you are taking a player that high you need that player to be a complete player.

Who said Tulloch is a bad player?

Pablo wrote:
Tulloch isn't the only player in the top 100 that is questionable, we just question him because we are so familiar with him. Good for Stephen.

He isn't the only player, but he is beyond "questionable." He flat out doesn't belong in the top 100.

May 20th, 2013, 9:47 am
RIP Killer

wjb21ndtown wrote:
Pablo wrote:

He isn't the only player, but he is beyond "questionable." He flat out doesn't belong in the top 100.

Does Trent Richardson deserve to be on a list of top 100 players? How about Jacoby Jones? I think a strong case can be made for Tully over some of the guys I've heard as being on the list for last year.

Would I put him in the top 100? No, but there are going to be a lot of ? marks on a list like this.

May 20th, 2013, 10:23 am
Profile WWW
Pablo wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
Pablo wrote:

Does Trent Richardson deserve to be on a list of top 100 players? How about Jacoby Jones? I think a strong case can be made for Tully over some of the guys I've heard as being on the list for last year.

Would I put him in the top 100? No, but there are going to be a lot of ? marks on a list like this.

Who cares? If you want to add people to the list that don't belong, fine, but that doesn't justify Tulloch being on that list in any way. He has no business being on any list of the top 100 players in the NFL.

May 20th, 2013, 10:27 am
NFL Veteran

If its true the players only give 20 names went putting in their ballot for this, then the real issue is how the hell do they really even make a top 100 list and who is crazy enough to put Tulloch in their top 20.

May 20th, 2013, 12:12 pm
Reply to topic   [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next