View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 31st, 2014, 6:20 pm

Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 2013 NHL Playoffs - Round 2 vs Blackhawks 

Who wins?
Blackhawks sweep 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Wings sweep 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Blackhawks in 7 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Wings in 7 29%  29%  [ 2 ]
Blackhawks in 5 or 6 57%  57%  [ 4 ]
Wings in 5 or 6 14%  14%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 7

2013 NHL Playoffs - Round 2 vs Blackhawks 
Modmin Dude

Post 2013 NHL Playoffs - Round 2 vs Blackhawks
Freep wrote:
Red Wings' next opponent: Sizing up the Blackhawks
9:20 AM, May 13, 2013

Hello: Chicago Blackhawks.

What’s the occasion? The Red Wings meet them in the second round of the playoffs.

How did each team get here? The seventh-seeded Wings beat the second-seeded Anaheim Ducks in seven games. The top-seeded Blackhawks dispatched the eighth-seeded Minnesota Wild in five games, settling the last game at 6-1 last Thursday.

How’d they fare this season? The Blackhawks won all four meetings, although one required overtime and two went to a shootout. One of the victories was 7-1, at Joe Louis Arena. Regular-season performances don’t necessary reflect on what can happen in the playoffs, but the fact is the Wings haven’t beaten Chicago once, and have been outscored, 14-5.

Who are some good Blackhawks? Jonathan Toews is their captain, and he had such a fantastic season his name got thrown around for both the Hart Trophy (MVP) and Selke (best defensive forward). Patrick Kane was the leading scorer, a guy who, like Toews, is adept at passing and shooting. Marian Hossa has an eye for scoring on even the smallest openings. Brandon Saad is in the mix for rookie of the year, he’s that good. Patrick Sharp has missed a chunk of time with injuries, but he’s another of the Blackhawks’ top offensive talents.

Who is on Chicago’s defense? Duncan Keith is a really smart, positional player, and he has a lot of skill with the puck, too. He has drawn comparisons to being in the mold of Nicklas Lidstrom. Brent Seabrook has a booming shot and is very dangerous on power plays. Nick Leddy, Niklas Hjalmarsson, Johnny Oduya and Michal Rozsival round out what is as good a group of defensemen as there is in the Western Conference.

Who minds the net in Chicago? Corey Crawford is 1a to Ray Emery’s 1b. The Blackhawks rarely falter with either one. Crawford was in goal all four times the Wings played Chicago this season, and wrapped up Chicago’s series against Minnesota with a 4-1 record, 1.32 goals-against average and .950 save percentage.

Bad blood between the teams? Hossa gets booed in Detroit because he had the nerve to leave for another team after the 2008-09 season, even though the Wings had committed to keeping Johan Franzen and they couldn’t keep Franzen and Hossa.

Good blood between the teams? That Hossa guy? He’s a really good person. Lots of players in the Wings’ locker room still keep in touch with him. And three years ago, when Pavel Datsyuk fought Anaheim’s Corey Perry in a game and then the Wings went to play in Chicago two nights later, Hossa told the Free Press that he had texted Datsyuk to say “nice job.” And also to ask him not to fight Hossa.

Any history between these teams? Pretty much going back to the beginning of time, or at least the NHL, since both are Original Six teams. In 15 series, the Blackhawks hold an 8-7 advantage over Detroit. Curiously enough, the teams haven’t met in the playoffs very often in recent times. In fact, when Detroit beat the Hawks in the 2009 Western Conference finals, 4-1, finishing them off without the services of Lidstrom and Datsyuk, no less, it was the first time the clubs had met this century.

What’s the forecast? Sunny early in the week then overcast and in the 70s, chance of thunderstorms, and Blackhawks in six games.

Contact Helene St. James: 313-222-2295 or hstjames@freepress.com. Follow her on Twitter @helenestjames.

May 13th, 2013, 4:59 pm
Modmin Dude

Post Re: 2013 NHL Playoffs - Round 2 vs Blackhawks
DetNews wrote:
10 things to know: Red Wings vs. Blackhawks
May 13, 2013 at 3:57 pm
By Ted Kulfan
The Detroit News

1: The Blackhawks were clearly the best team in the league from the start. They began the season earning points in 24 consecutive games. There was no letup. And with a roster as deep as it is, that's not much of a surprise, along with the leadership of Jonathan Toews, whom Red Wings coach Mike Babcock considers one of the best captains around.

In the opening round of the playoffs, Chicago disposed of Minnesota in a quick and tidy five games.

2: Trying to stop the Blackhawks offensively isn't an easy trick. With Anaheim, if the Red Wings slowed down the top line centered by Ryan Getzlaf, they had a good shot at winning. The Blackhawks can get scoring from a variety of sources.

Toews, Patrick Kane (23 goals each) and former Wing Marian Hossa (17 goals) are three of the premier offensive players in the game. Rookie Brandon Saad (10 goals) continued to get better throughout the season.

Patrick Sharp (six goals in 28 injury-plagued games), Bryan Bickell (nine goals), and Viktor Stalberg (nine goals), are others, but it really doesn't end there. This is a deep, deep attack.

3: Hossa is an interesting case. Red Wings fans will remember him for his extraordinary two-way play, one of the best overall forwards in the game. But Hossa had a substandard playoffs with the Red Wings in 2009, particularly disappointing against Pittsburgh in the Stanley Cup Finals.

Hossa played better for Chicago the next season and finally won a Stanley Cup with them. How will he perform against his former teammates in what will be a much publicized and scrutinized series across the hockey landscape?

4: Pavel Datsyuk and Henrik Zetterberg have another dynamic duo to face in this series. There's no question Datsyuk and Zetterberg were better than Anaheim's Corey Perry and Getzlaf, and it proved to be a key ingredient in the Red Wings winning the series.

Now they face Toews (23 goals, 25 assists) and Kane (23 goals, 32 assists), who aren't as physical or big as Perry and Getzlaf but arguably are more dangerous offensively.

Kane developed more of an all-around game this season and even took a bigger step offensively.

5: Like the Ducks, the Blackhawks have two good goaltenders they can turn to. Corey Crawford (19-5-5, 1.94 goals-against average, .926 save percentage) and Ray Emery (17-1-0, 1.94, .922) both were excellent during the regular season.

Crawford is the No. 1 and played outstanding against Minnesota in the playoffs (.950 save percentage) while Emery nursed a lower-body injury.

The Minnesota series was important for Crawford, who never had gotten past the first round and was particularly poor in last season's first-round loss to Phoenix.

6: The Chicago defense is as deep and talented as it comes. Duncan Keith (a former Norris Trophy winner), Brent Seabrook, Nick Leddy, Johnny Oduya, Niklas Hjalmarsson and Michal Rozsival are largely mobile and have offensive skill few blue lines around the league can match.

Keith and Seabrook get the most headlines. But watch out for Leddy and Oduya, who are excellent under the radar.

One sidenote about this group of defensemen: Overall, it's not the most physical of groups past Seabrook and Keith.

7: Blackhawks coach Joel Quenneville hasn't had any success against the Red Wings in the playoffs. Quenneville has coached in St. Louis, Colorado, and obviously the Blackhawks, in the playoffs against the Red Wings — and hasn't won a series in five tries. Three times with St. Louis, and once each with the Avalanche and Blackhawks.

That'll be a huge gorilla on Quenneville's back as this series begins and drags on.

8: Fans in both cities will relish this Original Six battle. After this season, the teams won't meet in the playoffs unless both teams reach the Stanley Cup Finals.

The Red Wings are moving to the Eastern Conference next season while Chicago remains in the West. They'll meet only twice during the regular season.

What a classic way to end their current conference rivalry, though. And who doesn't love the games at United Center with fans roaring to the national anthem? Great hockey atmosphere at both rinks.

9: The Blackhawks won all four games against the Red Wings in the regular season. But take it with a grain of salt.

There was one blowout (a 7-1 Blackhawks victory), but the three other games were all tied after regulation.

Chicago won two games in a shootout, and one in overtime.

Obviously, there isn't any shootout in the playoffs. And overtime isn't four-on-four as it is during the regular season.

This was a much closer regular season series than the final result may indicate.

10: Outnumbered. The Blackhawks tied for most wins (36), had the most points (77), were second in goals per game (3.10), allowed the fewest goals (2.02 goals-against average), and had the second-best penalty kill (87.2 percent). Their only downside was an occasionally streaky power play (19th, 16.7 percent).

Yes, not too many weaknesses.

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2013 ... z2TD0Fuocz

May 13th, 2013, 5:04 pm
Modmin Dude

Its going to be a tough test for the Wings; here's to hoping the Blackhawks have had too much time off and the Wings are finally catching their stride :cheers: :P

BTW- I had to take the homer pick, Wings in 5 or 6

Go Wings!!!
headbang.gif

May 13th, 2013, 5:06 pm
TheRealWags wrote:
Its going to be a tough test for the Wings; here's to hoping the Blackhawks have had too much time off and the Wings are finally catching their stride :cheers: :P

BTW- I had to take the homer pick, Wings in 5 or 6

Go Wings!!!
headbang.gif

Hawks in 5-6, I just don't see it happening for us this round. It just feels like we're overmatched, and in a big way.

This year anything but a Blackhawks/Penguins final is going to seem out of place.

I wonder if Parise and Suter feel dumb about their decision at this point? With Minny getting knocked out in the first round, I can't see them being profitable this year. I wonder if one of them gets moved?

Also, it seems like they're going to lose some pretty big talent soon, with Backstrom being a FA this offseason, and Heatly being an FA next offseason. If Suter or Parise object to a trade, I'm sure they could move someone like Heatly.

May 14th, 2013, 9:28 am
Team MVP

This is some BS. The game is being aired on NBCSN. I dont get that on Dish Network. Why arent they airing on FSN??

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

May 15th, 2013, 7:35 pm
Butkus Award Winner

kdsberman wrote:
This is some BS. The game is being aired on NBCSN. I dont get that on Dish Network. Why arent they airing on FSN??

Honestly, i dont think you wouldve wanted to see it. We were fortuate to be in the game in the 3rd because Howard was superman, but he can only be superman for so long. The amount of time they were in our zone was unreal. The young guys just arent ready for a team like this, but its deinitely great for experience.

May 16th, 2013, 8:46 am
Modmin Dude

Shotty wrote:
kdsberman wrote:
Honestly, i dont think you wouldve wanted to see it. We were fortuate to be in the game in the 3rd because Howard was superman, but he can only be superman for so long. The amount of time they were in our zone was unreal. The young guys just arent ready for a team like this, but its deinitely great for experience.
Yup, unless they learn really fast, this is going to be a short series....

May 16th, 2013, 9:03 am
We played like we were the ones that had an extended amount of time off. I don't understand how Smith can constantly be so winded as a professional athlete. You can see it in him, in the stupid mistakes that he makes, and horrible passes with nothing on them, that he's completely gassed out there, all the time. He looks pathetic.

I don't know why someone like Tootoo can't make the lineup, given how much energy everyone else plays with. IMO Franzen's play has been nothing short of abysmal. He's always laying on the ice somewhere, he's slow, and he has the aggression of a timid mouse. Smith, Ericson, and Quincy turn the puck over WAY too much.

May 16th, 2013, 9:19 am
Butkus Award Winner

wjb21ndtown wrote:
We played like we were the ones that had an extended amount of time off. I don't understand how Smith can constantly be so winded as a professional athlete. You can see it in him, in the stupid mistakes that he makes, and horrible passes with nothing on them, that he's completely gassed out there, all the time. He looks pathetic.

I don't know why someone like Tootoo can't make the lineup, given how much energy everyone else plays with. IMO Franzen's play has been nothing short of abysmal. He's always laying on the ice somewhere, he's slow, and he has the aggression of a timid mouse. Smith, Ericson, and Quincy turn the puck over WAY too much.

Agree with everything. Bad passing, 3rd line was average, and defense as a whole seemed scared to control the puck.

I really thought we could keep up with CHI, and I honestly still believe that, but it will require more effort from everybody, a condifence boost, continued superman goaltending from howard, and much better passing. Remember, our coach is Mike Babcock, IMO the best in the league. It can be done.

May 16th, 2013, 9:34 am
Team MVP

I still managed to watch 2/3 of it, and listen to the last 1/3 on the radio. Other than the first period, the Wings could not get the puck in the Hawks zone, and even when shorthanded could not get the puck out of there.

The Blackhawks game is go from goal to goal full speed, and its worked.

Still pissed about every game being on NBCSN..

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

May 16th, 2013, 11:46 am
Modmin Dude

kdsberman wrote:
kdsberman wrote:
Still pissed about every game being on NBCSN..
Are you saying that Dish doesn't carry NBCN or that you don't subscribe to it?

May 17th, 2013, 2:39 pm
Modmin Dude

Freep wrote:
Mitch Albom: Way back for Red Wings? First, get up the ice
May 17, 2013

It is never good, in the sports world, to be worried about your “own end,” not in horse racing, not in sumo wrestling and certainly not in hockey.

But the Red Wings’ own end is where trouble is brewing, and has been brewing, and it needs to be fixed if they want to keep going in this year’s playoffs.

I thought the series against Anaheim had way too many turnovers and sloppy plays close to the Red Wings’ net. But Game 1 against Chicago on Wednesday night felt as if the building had been constructed on a slant, and the Wings were always defending the lower half.

Far too many times, passes weren’t cleared, pucks were coughed up, and there seemed to be little Detroit coordination in how to move out of its own zone, except to charge forward and hope the Blackhawks didn’t take it away. It was like watching play after play on your own 10-yard line, and then fumbling. Or, put another way, the 2008 Lions.

Brendan Smith, the Wings’ young defenseman, had another tough night in Game 1. His inability to clear the puck during Chicago’s first power play helped lead to a 1-0 deficit. After that, you basically held your breath whenever he touched it in the Wings’ end.

You can’t come down too hard on a 24 year-old. But you want to tell him and a few other Wings, “Hey, there’s many ways to get a puck out besides trying to keep it on your stick. Flick it! Use the boards!”

Or as coach Mike Babcock said a few weeks ago, think about what Nick Lidstrom would do.

“He didn't force anything,” Babcock told the media of his now-retired superstar. “…When you force things, you generate offense for (the opposition).”

Missing those talented veterans
The young Wings may be forcing things. And that does generate offense for the opponent. But it’s not just the newbies. Jonathan Ericsson has been with the Wings for years, but still had his struggles in Game 1. He admitted as much after the game to the media:

“I think it took way too long for us to get out of our own zone and when we get out we don’t have any energy to attack. … We have to do a much better job in the D-zone and the D’s got to do a better job of getting the pucks up and the forwards have to do a better job in being open.”

Why are the Wings enduring this back end problem? It’s a combination of things, most notably the absence of Lidstrom and veteran defensemen Brian Rafalski and Brad Stuart. These were guys who knew the art of moving the puck out of the zone, or digging at it until a teammate did.

For years we took for granted how easily Lidstrom could strip a guy coming into the Detroit end, then convert that strip into the perfect ricochet pass up ice that set the Wings in motion in the preferred direction.

Without that magic, the puck stays in the Detroit end longer, and opponents have time to swarm.

Keeping it simple
“Unfortunately, all you guys in Detroit aren’t used to it,” ESPN’s Barry Melrose told me last week. “You’re used to a solid group of defensemen led by Lidstrom. … This is sort of new territory for you, young defensemen having to play all these minutes.

“You’re seeing your future. But unfortunately, it’s not as good as your past.”

Then again, it’s not supposed to be. All teams go through transitions. Babcock did manage to whip the Wings’ porous defense early in the season into very good status by the year’s end in goals-against. But some of that is Jimmy Howard. And it doesn’t address the extra work the Wings have to do just to get things started once they get the puck.

Honestly, at times, it’s like watching a man try to pass a kidney stone.

The Blackhawks are really good. And you simply won’t beat them if they have nearly three times as many takeaways (11-4) and twice as many shots (42-21) — the way they did in Game 1. One of the ways you limit both?

Get out of your own end.

The day off should help. So should this simple reminder. Don’t be cute. Don’t try to do too much. And don’t panic.

Or, as they say in horse racing, let the other guy worry about your own end, not you.

Contact Mitch Albom: 313-223-4581 or malbom@freepress.com.

http://www.freep.com/article/20130517/S ... blackhawks

May 17th, 2013, 2:44 pm
RIP Killer

2-1 Wings, young kids responded well to opening game defeat. GO WINGS!

May 22nd, 2013, 9:09 am
Profile WWW
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Defense needs to step up. Can't expect Howard to have 39 saves each game.

GO WINGS!!

NEVER GIVE UP!

May 22nd, 2013, 10:44 am
Modmin Dude

Was a great game the other day. Reminded me how much I enjoy playoff, original six hockey. If the Wings can continue to play like that, they could go deep this year.

Go Wings!!!
headbang.gif

May 22nd, 2013, 12:15 pm
Reply to topic   [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next