View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 1st, 2014, 10:34 pm

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 Pope Says Atheists Are A-OK By God 
Modmin Dude

Post Pope Says Atheists Are A-OK By God
Gawker wrote:
Pope Says Atheists Are A-OK By God
In impromptu remarks made during yesterday's Mass in his residence, Pope Francis shocked many by declaring that atheists can be just as good as Catholics if they "do good."

Referencing a passage from the Gospel of Mark in his homily, the Pope recounted the story of a priest who told an inquiring Catholic that Jesus redeemed everyone, even atheists, and all he asks in return is that people "do good and do not do evil."

"The Lord has redeemed all of us, all of us, with the Blood of Christ: all of us, not just Catholics. Everyone!" the Pope quoted the priest as saying.

"Father, the atheists?," the skeptical Catholic responded. "Even the atheists. Everyone!" the priest replied, and added: "We must meet one another doing good. ‘But I don’t believe, Father, I am an atheist!’ But do good: we will meet one another there."

The Guardian notes that Pope Francis's ongoing efforts to unite all people, both believers and nonbelievers, stands in stark contrast to approach of his predecessors — particularly Benedict, "who sometimes prompted complaints from non-Catholics that he seemed to see them as second-class believers."

Catholic Online has already embraced the newly christened Pope's message, taking it a step further by declaring that atheists can "go to heaven too."

http://gawker.com/pope-says-atheists-ca ... -509487907
[photo via AP]

May 23rd, 2013, 12:56 pm
Post Re: Pope Says Atheists Are A-OK By God
That's awesome.

May 23rd, 2013, 1:45 pm
Modmin Dude

wjb21ndtown wrote:
That's awesome.
This Pope has certainly been making some noise lately, wonder how his statements are being received by various Christians. Me thinks some would not be happy.

May 23rd, 2013, 1:59 pm
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

TheRealWags wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
That's awesome.
This Pope has certainly been making some noise lately, wonder how his statements are being received by various Christians. Me thinks some would not be happy.

While that might be true, it is of my opinion that those in particular types have missed the message altogether. While I can honestly say I havent been a fan of catholosism, I am very glad to hear them try and lose the "exclusivity mantra" that it seems they have been trumpeting for as long as I can remember.

May 23rd, 2013, 3:00 pm
Modmin Dude

regularjoe12 wrote:
TheRealWags wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
That's awesome.

While that might be true, it is of my opinion that those in particular types have missed the message altogether. While I can honestly say I havent been a fan of catholosism, I am very glad to hear them try and lose the "exclusivity mantra" that it seems they have been trumpeting for as long as I can remember.
Agreed.

May 23rd, 2013, 3:04 pm
Team MVP

Rather have an atheist than someone who believes in the "religion" that believes strapping bombs to his or her chest and creating suicide and mass murders sends you to heaven. Wont say the M word, but just sayin.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

May 23rd, 2013, 4:55 pm
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

kdsberman wrote:
Rather have an atheist than someone who believes in the "religion" that believes strapping bombs to his or her chest and creating suicide and mass murders sends you to heaven. Wont say the M word, but just sayin.

without going to the same extremes, I'd rather hang in a cloud with an athiest than a diehard Christian who damns everyone to hell for making a mistake.

May 23rd, 2013, 5:42 pm
Player of the Year - Defense

It's a cute message of inclusion; I think this Pope truly "gets" what Christianity is about -- but how does he explain Mark 16:16 ESV?

As Penn Jillette once said, the easiest way to become an atheist is to actually read the bible.

May 24th, 2013, 4:15 am
Modmin Dude

Blueskies wrote:
It's a cute message of inclusion; I think this Pope truly "gets" what Christianity is about -- but how does he explain Mark 16:16 ESV?

As Penn Jillette once said, the easiest way to become an atheist is to actually read the bible.
I would imagine he would explain by saying something like Jesus himself was for inclusion. I don't think he pushed anyone way because they were an atheist or poor or for any reason, though its been a while since I've read the Bible...

May 24th, 2013, 9:02 am
Hall of Fame Player

All I have to say is : Unbelievable, and it just proves to me that Catholics are not Christians. The Pope has taken a most convoluted view of Jesus.

But, I wholeheartedly, agree with this:

Quote:
Pope Francis shocked many by declaring that atheists can be just as good as Catholics if they "do good."

Catholics and Atheists are in the same boat anyway. Catholics pray to Mary, not Jesus. They might as well pray to themselves. Because Mary can't hear them.

May 24th, 2013, 9:21 am
Modmin Dude

BillySims wrote:
All I have to say is : Unbelievable, and it just proves to me that Catholics are not Christians. The Pope has taken a most convoluted view of Jesus.
How so? Care you expand on this?

May 24th, 2013, 10:44 am
QB Coach

I'll weigh in as a Born Again, blood bought Christian, although I'm not sure if it was me who was referenced by your comment.

The Pope is ABSOLUTELY CORRECT! Jesus did die for everyone! Muslims, Hare Krishna's, Buddhists, Atheists, Witches, Warlocks, and whatever human religion you'd care to add.

In Genesis Chapter 1, God (Title like King) Said, "Let us make man in OUR image, male and female he made them." So you have the God of relationship (Father, Son, Holy Spirit) forming mankind for relationship. Angels were and ahve already been created in a pre-man time, and they are without the gift of free will.

Mankind, was created WITH free will, so that we could pick and or choose whether or not we would love God. Can you "force" someone to love you? Is it love if it's forced? So God gave man an option known to no other being. Having said that, He ran the greatest risk, because man could ultimately turn him down, and many have.

Because of the fall of man in Genesis 3, where Satan (the highest created being) who could not attack God, chose to attack the ones that bore God's image; man, deceived Eve. When Eve made the choice, and Adam followed Eve, all of mankind was separated from God. Think of adultery! A relationship has been fractured by another.

Because of this, mankind could not overcome the gap between man and God. God knowing this, chose to pay the price for us; blood. So Jesus, being fully God, and fully man became the ultimate sacrifice, and final sacrifice for all mankind. So if anyone would choose to accept what Jesus did on their behalf, and ask Jesus to be their Lord and Savior, they are covered in the blood. So when God the Father looks upon mankind, He looks at us through the blood of Jesus. Either you have it or you don't!

So yes, anyone who draws a breath and walks on two legs and is human is acceptable to God, BUT, without the relationship through the blood of Jesus, it it means nothing. The offer has been extended, it is up to us whether or not we'll receive it. As I've said for a while in this thread library and personally, it's all about the RELATIONSHIP, not the RELIGION!

Hope my comment wasn't too offensive or shocking!

2 Chronicles 10:14, "if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land."

May 24th, 2013, 12:36 pm
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]