View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently August 30th, 2014, 4:20 pm

Reply to topic  [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
 Ansah it is 
Walk On

Post Re: Ansah it is
Detroit Lions new DE Ziggy Ansah possesses 'the rarest commodity to find' in the NFL

In the days leading up to the NFL draft, Bill Polian - the general manager who built the Buffalo Bills team that went to four consecutive Super Bowls - knew what it would require for a team to draft Ziggy Ansah: Courage.

But to the drafter go the spoils.

And according to Polian, the Detroit Lions will be handsomely rewarded being the team with the courage to pick Ansah.

"I would always ask our staff, when we got to (the point right before the draft), 'If this player is going to fail, tell me why he will fail'," Polian said on ESPN. "And when you look at Ziggy Ansah, is he going to fail because he doesn't have physical tools? No. Is he going to fail because he's not mentally tough? No. He made it in a new land all by himself. Is he going to fail because he's not intelligent? No, he's a statistics major. Is he going to fail because he doesn't have experience playing the game? Maybe...but, you can teach that.

"All of the other things are red flags that will cause someone to fail. He's not going to fail because of those things. He's going to succeed. And the likelihood of his success is pretty darn good."

The experience factor - Ziggy has never been a starter for an entire college season, let a lone a 16-game NFL schedule - is of course where many (read: all) of the concerns with him lie.
Cinderella's going to break the glass slipper into smithereens." -- Bill Polian on new Detroit Lion Ziggy Ansah

But rate of change analysts see when it comes to Ansah's skills and technique has blown minds.

"In the Utah game (September 15, 2012), he got caught up in double teams, and he had no idea what was happening to him, and he didn't know how to get out of them," Polian said. "By the time he reached Notre Dame (on October 20, 2012), they would double team him and he would recognize it instantly.

"He's got what we call 'slipperiness', which Jason (Taylor) had in abundance. He just finds a way to get off a block and just escapes from it naturally. In the space of about six weeks, without ever having played the game before at the highest level, he learned how to defeat a double team. It takes people years to do that. To me, this is a guy that has it all. And here's the most important thing, Cinderella's going to break the glass slipper into smithereens. This is a tough, physical, ferocious guy."

Ansah had just four assisted tackles in the mid-September matchup with the Utes. In two games against Notre Dame and Georgia tech a month later, he had 14 tackles (7 solo) and a sack. In his final game of the season, in the Poinsettia Bowl against San Diego State on December 20, 2012, he had five tackles, an interception, a forced fumble and a pass break up.

The rise of Ziggy, between that Poinsettia Bowl performance and this past Thursday evening, was meteoric. From completely off the radar to comparisons with the best.

"He's more physical than Jason Pierre-Paul," Polian said of the oft-used comparison between Ziggy and the two time Pro-Bowl defensive end of the New York Giants. "This is a little bit of a Bruce Smith comparison. I mean physically. He has the ability to transfer speed into power like that.

"It's the rarest commodity to find."

May 2nd, 2013, 2:25 am
Div 1 - Starter

Mufasa wrote:
"I would always ask our staff, when we got to (the point right before the draft), 'If this player is going to fail, tell me why he will fail'," Polian said on ESPN. "And when you look at Ziggy Ansah, is he going to fail because he doesn't have physical tools? No. Is he going to fail because he's not mentally tough? No. He made it in a new land all by himself. Is he going to fail because he's not intelligent? No, he's a statistics major. Is he going to fail because he doesn't have experience playing the game? Maybe...but, you can teach that.

And that's the sum of the "knocks" on Ziggy. He hasn't got a lot of experience.

But.

He went from walk-on to backup, to starter, to catching the eyes of scouts. Then went to the Senior Bowl (where the Lions coaches got a chance to work with him for a week) and dominated against players that DID have a lot more experience.

Off-field issues: 0

So Ziggy might not light up the NFL this year. Might not start any games at all. Kevin Seifert, the NFC North reporter over at ESPN.com posted a chart on DE's taken high, that were "inexperienced".

So for me the only question left is, would I rather watch this kid "develop" for my favorite football team, or would I rather watch him do it for ANOTHER team and think, "Why didn't the Lions draft THIS guy?"

May 2nd, 2013, 10:19 am
JL wrote:
Mufasa wrote:

But.

He went from walk-on to backup, to starter, to catching the eyes of scouts. Then went to the Senior Bowl (where the Lions coaches got a chance to work with him for a week) and dominated against players that DID have a lot more experience.

So Ziggy might not light up the NFL this year. Might not start any games at all. Kevin Seifert, the NFC North reporter over at ESPN.com posted a chart on DE's taken high, that were "inexperienced".

So for me the only question left is, would I rather watch this kid "develop" for my favorite football team, or would I rather watch him do it for ANOTHER team and think, "Why didn't the Lions draft THIS guy?"

Ansah will start from day 1, I can all but guaranty that. Our only other option at this point is Willie Young, and that's not going to happen over a top 5 pick.

May 2nd, 2013, 10:41 am
NFL Veteran

wjb21ndtown wrote:
JL wrote:
Mufasa wrote:

But.

Ansah will start from day 1, I can all but guaranty that. Our only other option at this point is Willie Young, and that's not going to happen over a top 5 pick.

I agree, the Kid would have to completely poop the bed to not be starting week 1 and even if he did I'm not sure Young could look better than him.

May 2nd, 2013, 1:07 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

And luckily as a Wide 9 DE, he wont "Hurt his learning" by starting early like some positions can. We can show him where to line up (which he already knows from Senior Bowl) and tell him to go Crush the QB every down. Not to say we wont teach him technique/etc, but hes fine to start from Day 1.

For me he was the epitome of what you want in a top 5 if its going to be a risk, it was Low Risk - High Reward. He isn't going to bust out or be out of the league in a few season like a Charles Rogers or Jamarcus Russell. At worst he will likely be a serviceable DE, and at best could be 1 of the best DEs in the league. He definitely wasn't as safe as Cooper or Warmack would have been, but once we got Warford in the 3rd I was glad we took Ansah and not 1 of the OGs. (Although Cooper at Center and Warford at OG would have been epic).

We will all see together, but I agreed with S&Cs new sackseer statistics the year JPP came out that he would fail due to lack of experience, and have since changed my tune. Its 1 of the few positions in the game where the rare athletic talent is worth the risk IMO and even if he ends up being 75% of JPP, its a win @ #5 , and personally I think he has a higher ceiling.

May 2nd, 2013, 2:38 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Modmin Dude

MLive wrote:
Detroit Lions DE Ziggy Ansah's goofy glasses earn him free movies for a year
By Justin Rogers | jrogers@mlive.com
on May 03, 2013 at 3:43 PM,
updated May 03, 2013 at 3:51 PM

Detroit Lions first-round pick Ziggy Ansah displayed a little personality on draft day, wearing a pair of disposable 3D glasses when going up on stage to shake the hand of NFL commissioner Roger Goodell.

The glasses, which Ansah told reporters he acquired when he went to see "Thor," are just part of the Ghana native's unique identity and sense of humor.

The joke, which was a dare from friends at BYU, is about to pay off in a unique way for Ansah. It turns out IMAX caught wind of the fashion statement and have offered a gift in appreciation.

A letter to Ansah from IMAX executive vice president Brian Bonnick reads:

Quote:
"We, at IMAX, couldn't help but notice your keen sense of style at the NFL draft his year. You made quite a fashion statement with your pair of 3D glasses. As a member of the Detroit Lions, you share our love for the color blue and we would like to add an IMAX silver lining for you -- we would love to celebrate your first year in the NFL with the opportunity to see all IMAX 3D movies on us for the next year.
8) glasses9.gif

May 7th, 2013, 9:31 am
NFL Veteran

PFT wrote:
Lions sign Ansah, without offset language
Posted by Mike Florio on May 10, 2013, 10:01 AM EDT

Unsigned rookies typically participate in offseason workouts with a letter of protection that promises they’ll get the contract they would have gotten if they suffer a serious injury during offseason workouts.

In Detroit that won’t be necessary for any of their draft picks.

The team has announced that defensive end Ziggy Ansah, the fifth overall pick in the draft, has agreed to terms. All Lions draft picks are now under contract.

The process of negotiating rookie deals has become much simpler since the 2011 labor deal, which created a firm rookie wage scale, eliminating most topics for haggling and holdout. The last major sticking point for players taken at the top of the draft is whether the fully-guaranteed contracts will contain offset language, allowing teams to recoup part of the money if the player gets cut and signs elsewhere.

For Ansah, a league source tells PFT there’s no offset language. So if the Lions decide to cut him at any point in the next four years, Ansah gets the full amount of the contract — along with whatever else he can get from his next team.

May 10th, 2013, 10:36 am
Team MVP

Ya know, I know its just OTA's, and by "just" otas, i mean "JUST" OTAs...but I really do have a feeling that Ansah is going to turn out to be a special player and someone we all look at and can call a playmaker. Just have that feeling. Not concerned whether we should have taken him or not, or who we could have gotten, im just sayin.

(Holy crap is it obvious this is the most boring part of the year in terms of the NFL).

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

May 23rd, 2013, 5:05 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

kdsberman wrote:
Ya know, I know its just OTA's, and by "just" otas, i mean "JUST" OTAs...but I really do have a feeling that Ansah is going to turn out to be a special player and someone we all look at and can call a playmaker. Just have that feeling. Not concerned whether we should have taken him or not, or who we could have gotten, im just sayin.

(Holy crap is it obvious this is the most boring part of the year in terms of the NFL).

He definitely looks the part, that's for sure. If he can get the mental side of things, I think he can be really good.

May 24th, 2013, 2:55 pm
Reply to topic   [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7