View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 18th, 2014, 9:56 am

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 Calvin Johnson - Real Love 
Lionbacker Rehab Guru

Post Calvin Johnson - Real Love
A film of teenaged absinance being produced by Calvin Johnson.
http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2013/06/detroit_lions_calvin_johnson_p_3.html
A few years ago I was a gopher for a Lansing area sports writer, and was able to go to the Lion's Allen Park facility for a few NFL drafts. One year, on day 2 Calvin Johnson and his parents showed up for a photo op with the press. (Drew Stanton was also there.)

The reporters talked to his dad, a blue collar worker, who looked worn out and a bit angry (and was probably just worn out). 'Dad' related how he had never missed a CJ football game. One reporter told him his worries were over, that CJ could afford not only the tickets, but a plane trip to every game. To this 'Dad' went off saying, 'I pay my only bills.'

When we talked to 'Mom', one reporter asked if CJ felt particularly honored being selected first in the draft - to which Mom went off saying, "Honored?!!! Calvin is honored to know and love Jesus Christ." Later, another reporter tried a different tack. He asked if CJ felt 'lucky' being the number one pick. Mom went off again. 'Lucky?!!! Luck had nothing to do with it. CJ earned the number one spot through hard work and dedication.'

That CJ would produce a film encouraging teen abstinance is no doubt a result of his wonderful parents.

Blueskies is my hero. I worship the ground he walks on.

June 4th, 2013, 2:41 pm
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

Post Re: Calvin Johnson - Real Love
thats a humble upbringing right there...kinda hard not to like his parents from that tidbit.

June 4th, 2013, 3:27 pm
Lionbacker Rehab Guru

regularjoe12 wrote:
thats a humble upbringing right there...kinda hard not to like his parents from that tidbit.

I loved CJ's parents. If I had been more than a gopher, I would have requested a sit down interview with them then and there. Every reporter but me would have had a run-of-the-mill Calvin Johnson story, while I would have had the best story coming out of the draft.

June 4th, 2013, 4:33 pm
Div 1 - Starter

I can't say I'm a big fan of the abstinence movement, at least not if it results in a lack of understanding about contraception. But, I guess my view has been that if someone lacks the intellectual capacity to think for himself and is going to be swayed by propaganda and religion then perhaps abstinence would be the best thing for him. All that having been said, I much prefer Calvin Johnson's behavior and activities to those of Titus Young and several of the other players.

June 5th, 2013, 5:30 am
Lionbacker Rehab Guru

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/20 ... n_p_3.html
Growler wrote:
I can't say I'm a big fan of the abstinence movement, at least not if it results in a lack of understanding about contraception. But, I guess my view has been that if someone lacks the intellectual capacity to think for himself and is going to be swayed by propaganda and religion then perhaps abstinence would be the best thing for him. All that having been said, I much prefer Calvin Johnson's behavior and activities to those of Titus Young and several of the other players.

Growler, love your go directly to being insulting. Encouraging abstinance is propaganda? Discussing and learning about abstinance is being swayed by propaganda and religion? I guess encouraging free promiscuous sex with strangers is not propaganda but enlightenment? Fascinating what you consider thoughtful sharing of ideas.

June 5th, 2013, 11:47 am
Lionbacker Rehab Guru

As this quickly degenerated into an 'Off Topic' discussion, I started a post there to continue.

June 5th, 2013, 11:50 am
Modmin Dude

TruckinMack wrote:
As this quickly degenerated into an 'Off Topic' discussion, I started a post there to continue.
Merged topics and placed in Off Topic forum.

That said, a topic such as this is begging to go off topic....

June 5th, 2013, 12:22 pm
3rd Round Selection

Not a fan of the pic for the movie.

One decision could change the guys' in the background's lives for ever (or should do, if they have the tiniest shred of decency) too, but let's not mention that ... let's continue to reinforce the belief that abstinence is a female only issue and that guys don't need to worry about the consequences of their actions ...

June 5th, 2013, 2:42 pm
Well... to be fair... Guys will have sex with anything, including a "warm apple pie," if they're left alone. I'm not saying that they shouldn't be talked to or "taught" otherwise, but lets face it, prior to the age of 23 or so, women are the valve that controls the sex supply.

June 5th, 2013, 3:11 pm
Div 1 - Starter

UK Lion wrote:
One decision could change the guys' in the background's lives for ever (or should do, if they have the tiniest shred of decency) too, but let's not mention that ... let's continue to reinforce the belief that abstinence is a female only issue and that guys don't need to worry about the consequences of their actions ...

That's actually far more true for the guys than the girls. If a woman gets pregnant she could choose to have an abortion or to put the infant up for adoption. Men can't do that and it's very unlikely that an unwitting father would challenge the mother's wanting to put the infant up for adoption. Thus, women actually have a couple choices.

June 12th, 2013, 10:54 am
Div 1 - Starter

TruckinMack wrote:
http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2013/06/detroit_lions_calvin_johnson_p_3.html

Quote:
Growler, love your go directly to being insulting. Encouraging abstinance is propaganda? Discussing and learning about abstinance is being swayed by propaganda and religion? I guess encouraging free promiscuous sex with strangers is not propaganda but enlightenment? Fascinating what you consider thoughtful sharing of ideas.

I didn't mean it to be insulting; that's just how I see it. There are options in between abstinence and all out promiscuity.

June 12th, 2013, 10:57 am
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]