View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 26th, 2014, 10:56 pm

Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Schwartz on the hot seat already? 
Varsity Captain

Post Schwartz on the hot seat already?
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/06/04/rumor-mill-already-has-linked-brian-kelly-to-lions/

Quote:
Weeks before Lions vice chairman Bill Ford Jr. chose the “no comment” option when asked whether coach Jim Schwartz needs to have a big season in 2013, the rumor mill already had been grinding.

As the theory goes, if the Lions don’t turn it around this year, Schwartz will be out and the Lions will pursue Notre Dame coach Brian Kelly.

Kelly flirted with the Eagles after the BCS national title game, before deciding to stay at South Bend. It’s now believed that the CEO of Notre Dame Football, Inc. will eventually jump to the NFL.

Before coaching at Notre Dame and the University of Cincinnati, Kelly spent 20 years in Michigan, serving as an assistant at Division II Grand Valley State from 1987 through 1990, head coach from 1991 through 2003, and then head coach at Central Michigan from 2004 through 2006.

I'm fine with looking at a new coach if we "S" the bed this year, but not this guy.

June 5th, 2013, 8:14 am
Post Re: Schwartz on the hot seat already?
I haven't been impressed with Kelly. I'd prefer we look at someone in a similar situation to the coach that Chicago just hired.

June 5th, 2013, 8:24 am
QB Coach

wjb21ndtown wrote:
I haven't been impressed with Kelly. I'd prefer we look at someone in a similar situation to the coach that Chicago just hired.

I'm admittedly a ND fan, but what has Kelly done that you don't like? He's won everywhere he's been, and he just took a ND team to the national championship game. Yes they got smashed in that game, but he still coached a team that overachieved. He's consistently had success at every level, everywhere he's coached. What's not to like about that?

The guy in Chicago sounds like a good coach too. The one thing he's got that Kelly doesn't is pro coaching experience, so I can see why that's attractive.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson

June 5th, 2013, 8:29 am
RIP Killer

This is obviously way too premature. First, if the Lions lose next year Schwartz is gone and that isn't in question. It is the GM who picks the coach, and if the Lions do lose Mayhew could be out of work as well so whomever the Lions might like right now really doesn't matter.

June 5th, 2013, 8:54 am
Profile WWW
Pablo wrote:
This is obviously way too premature. First, if the Lions lose next year Schwartz is gone and that isn't in question. It is the GM who picks the coach, and if the Lions do lose Mayhew could be out of work as well so whomever the Lions might like right now really doesn't matter.

I don't think we fire Schwartz if we do better than 6-10, and that's about where I see us. I can't stand the guy, and I want him gone, but IMO he does just enough to stay (sort of like WayneO, but somehow the bar got set much, much lower...).

That said, IMO Kelly got lucky last year. If Hoke had any brains at all he would have put in Gardner after the 3rd, 4th, or 5th INT and Michigan would have won that game. ND had no business playing in the National Championship game, and everyone knew it. ND played 3 tough games all year, and happen to win them all, but they played a load of cupcake games (and some were damn close, almost losing to Pitt at home? Almost losing to Purdue at home? Almost losing to BYU at home?)

Further, I don't see Kelly as "stealing" or "outcoaching" anyone in any of these games. IMO he seems lost and outclassed (I especially don't like the way that Kelly handled the Qb situation at ND... FWIW, IMO Hoke has seemed this way to me too at times). Kelly had a horrible season last year, and I blame 2-3 losses on his performance alone.

I just don't see the guy as a good coach. I don't like his interviews, I don't like his responses, and I don't respect him as a NCAA head coach, let alone an NFL coach. And I say this about him as a personal friend of my family. My cousin was captain of one of his GVSU teams, and they still converse regularly.

June 5th, 2013, 12:36 pm
Team MVP

Id be okay with Kelly.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

June 5th, 2013, 3:12 pm
Player of the Year - Defense

I don't think Schwartz gets fired unless the Lions are truly awful this season.

June 5th, 2013, 4:07 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

I think Bruce Arians would've been awesome for us.

June 5th, 2013, 4:46 pm
QB Coach

wjb21ndtown wrote:
Pablo wrote:

I don't think we fire Schwartz if we do better than 6-10, and that's about where I see us. I can't stand the guy, and I want him gone, but IMO he does just enough to stay (sort of like WayneO, but somehow the bar got set much, much lower...).

That said, IMO Kelly got lucky last year. If Hoke had any brains at all he would have put in Gardner after the 3rd, 4th, or 5th INT and Michigan would have won that game. ND had no business playing in the National Championship game, and everyone knew it. ND played 3 tough games all year, and happen to win them all, but they played a load of cupcake games (and some were damn close, almost losing to Pitt at home? Almost losing to Purdue at home? Almost losing to BYU at home?)

Further, I don't see Kelly as "stealing" or "outcoaching" anyone in any of these games. IMO he seems lost and outclassed (I especially don't like the way that Kelly handled the Qb situation at ND... FWIW, IMO Hoke has seemed this way to me too at times). Kelly had a horrible season last year, and I blame 2-3 losses on his performance alone.

I just don't see the guy as a good coach. I don't like his interviews, I don't like his responses, and I don't respect him as a NCAA head coach, let alone an NFL coach. And I say this about him as a personal friend of my family. My cousin was captain of one of his GVSU teams, and they still converse regularly.

I understand your points, but from my perspective I value his results over a feeling about him. He wins everywhere he's been. Time will tell if he can keep that up at the D1 level, but so far he's done exactly what he's done everywhere else: win. I agree that ND was outclassed in the Nat. Champ game, but they won their games and earned their spot there. As for the cupcake argument about their schedule, they are no different than every other school. Every school in the country plays some cupcakes. Every SEC team plays some serious nobodies early in the season. So does Michigan. Every team does it.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson

June 6th, 2013, 5:43 am
Rookie Player of the Year

You gotta win. Even when he was losing a lot in his first couple years, he could make a strong argument that he was turning the team around with mediocre talent. I'm willing to give him a pass last year because of the ridiculous amount of injuries we suffered, but this season there are no excuses. If he can't do it, fire him and hire Lovie (ducks) :lol:

June 6th, 2013, 9:38 am
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

thelomasbrowns wrote:
You gotta win. Even when he was losing a lot in his first couple years, he could make a strong argument that he was turning the team around with mediocre talent. I'm willing to give him a pass last year because of the ridiculous amount of injuries we suffered, but this season there are no excuses. If he can't do it, fire him and hire Lovie (ducks) :lol:

I wouldn't hate Lovie comming here at all! I LIKE him as a coach.

June 6th, 2013, 10:15 am
Heisman Winner

Remember, with Lovie comes Tampa-2. Still want him?

I'm with Schwartz, sure he gets emotional/stupid every now and then, but I still believe that he is a smart coach, and he will get himself and his team under control this season. Unless this season turns out to be a disaster, I don't see him getting canned anytime soon.

June 6th, 2013, 10:24 am
Rookie Player of the Year

DayDreamer wrote:

We run a lot of Cover-2, actually--we just don't have a religious devotion to it.

June 6th, 2013, 10:40 am
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

DayDreamer wrote:

I'm with Schwartz, sure he gets emotional/stupid every now and then, but I still believe that he is a smart coach, and he will get himself and his team under control this season. Unless this season turns out to be a disaster, I don't see him getting canned anytime soon.

are you insinuating that Lovies Tampa 2 is worse than we have now?? :wink:

He wouldnt be my first choice, but yes, I'd stilll call him an upgrade.

June 6th, 2013, 10:49 am
Heisman Winner

I don't want Lovie simply for the fact he might bring Marinelli back.

June 6th, 2013, 10:52 am
Reply to topic   [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next