View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 23rd, 2014, 12:29 am



Reply to topic  [ 121 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
 Lions working on Stafford deal, but have a deadline 
Author Message
Modmin Dude
User avatar

Joined: December 31st, 2004, 9:55 am
Posts: 12139
Post Lions working on Stafford deal, but have a deadline
PFT wrote:
Lions working on Stafford deal, but have a deadline
Posted by Darin Gantt on June 8, 2013, 5:58 PM EDT

Lions team president Tom Lewand described talks toward an extension for quarterback Matthew Stafford as a “very productive process,” but said if they can’t reach a deal before the season starts, they’ll just wait until after the season ends.

“We’ve still got some discussion to have, but at some point in time we’ll either get a deal done or we’ll focus on football,” Lewand said of Stafford, via Dave Birkett of the Detroit Free Press. “It’s a different dynamic when you have two years left on a contract versus one. Most of them get done with a year left. And we’ve worked through a lot of those issues and continue to do that, want to continue the dialogue.

“But at some point in time we’ll either have a deal or we’ll agree that the focus needs to be on what’s going on on the field.”

The Lions have been talking about a new deal for Stafford since February, with the talks progressing in April.

Stafford has two years left on his rookie deal, but salary cap numbers of $20.8 million this year and $19.3 million next have the Lions looking to do something sooner.

While Stafford’s value is inflated because his first contract was signed under the old CBA (before owners beat rookie deals down to a manageable level), deals such as those for Tony Romo and Joe Flacco provide some degree of framework.

“Again, I think it’s atypical for us to enter into discussions with Matthew with two years left on his deal, and I’m very glad we have,” Lewand said. “I think it’s been a very productive process that may result in an agreement, and I certainly think will result in an agreement at the right point in time, and that may be soon and it may be a little bit later, but the process itself has been very valuable.

“It’s not something clubs around the league generally do as a matter of course because with two years left on a deal it is a little more difficult. It obviously does happen, Aaron Rodgers being an example, but it’s more of the exception than the rule with two years left.”

While Stafford’s value shouldn’t approach Rodgers’ based on production, the fact the Lions are close against the salary cap and could use the room will only help him.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... -deadline/

_________________
Quote:
Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right....


June 8th, 2013, 7:39 pm
Profile
Post Re: Lions working on Stafford deal, but have a deadline
I love that we're literally choosing to bargain from a poor position, with an unproven talent that has a significant injury history, and significant issues with his game, and it's for a $100 million plus... Must be nice to own an organization where you can still be profitable and make such stupid, stupid mistakes.


June 8th, 2013, 8:48 pm
Hall of Fame Player
User avatar

Joined: May 7th, 2005, 3:25 pm
Posts: 7441
Location: Earth/Sagittarius Dwarf Galaxy
Post Re: Lions working on Stafford deal, but have a deadline
wjb21ndtown wrote:
I love that we're literally choosing to bargain from a poor position, with an unproven talent that has a significant injury history, and significant issues with his game, and it's for a $100 million plus... Must be nice to own an organization where you can still be profitable and make such stupid, stupid mistakes.


UNPROVEN? And SIGNIFICANT INJURY is HISTORY. He has been completely healthy for all of the last 2 seasons and has passed for almost 10,000 yards in those 2 years. The ONLY thing he has left to prove is that he can win a playoff game.

That said, I don't want his contract redone. He will undoubtedly get $20Million/season or more, in his next contract. He will be at that number this year. But, next year, we get a small break on his contract number.

Let him play it out and prove he can win in the playoffs ( This year). If he does, pay him the going rate. If not, draft a QB next year and let Stafford walk when his contract is up. Then, our Cap room increases dramatically.

Edited to add: Also, if we let Stafford walk, we would certainly get the very first comp pick in the following years draft.


June 9th, 2013, 7:36 pm
Profile
Butkus Award Winner

Joined: July 3rd, 2012, 2:06 am
Posts: 652
Post Re: Lions working on Stafford deal, but have a deadline
BillySims wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
I love that we're literally choosing to bargain from a poor position, with an unproven talent that has a significant injury history, and significant issues with his game, and it's for a $100 million plus... Must be nice to own an organization where you can still be profitable and make such stupid, stupid mistakes.


UNPROVEN? And SIGNIFICANT INJURY is HISTORY. He has been completely healthy for all of the last 2 seasons and has passed for almost 10,000 yards in those 2 years. The ONLY thing he has left to prove is that he can win a playoff game.

That said, I don't want his contract redone. He will undoubtedly get $20Million/season or more, in his next contract. He will be at that number this year. But, next year, we get a small break on his contract number.

Let him play it out and prove he can win in the playoffs ( This year). If he does, pay him the going rate. If not, draft a QB next year and let Stafford walk when his contract is up. Then, our Cap room increases dramatically.

Edited to add: Also, if we let Stafford walk, we would certainly get the very first comp pick in the following years draft.


I honestly think MM or any top man in the organization is scared to let Staff go. If it was to happen, I think itd require a tag and trade for a 2nd, so we would get that 2nd, a 2nd round comp pick, 20 mil in space, and a gaping hole to fill at QB.

_________________
Image


June 9th, 2013, 9:02 pm
Profile
Hall of Fame Player
User avatar

Joined: May 7th, 2005, 3:25 pm
Posts: 7441
Location: Earth/Sagittarius Dwarf Galaxy
Post Re: Lions working on Stafford deal, but have a deadline
Shotty wrote:
BillySims wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
I love that we're literally choosing to bargain from a poor position, with an unproven talent that has a significant injury history, and significant issues with his game, and it's for a $100 million plus... Must be nice to own an organization where you can still be profitable and make such stupid, stupid mistakes.


UNPROVEN? And SIGNIFICANT INJURY is HISTORY. He has been completely healthy for all of the last 2 seasons and has passed for almost 10,000 yards in those 2 years. The ONLY thing he has left to prove is that he can win a playoff game.

That said, I don't want his contract redone. He will undoubtedly get $20Million/season or more, in his next contract. He will be at that number this year. But, next year, we get a small break on his contract number.

Let him play it out and prove he can win in the playoffs ( This year). If he does, pay him the going rate. If not, draft a QB next year and let Stafford walk when his contract is up. Then, our Cap room increases dramatically.

Edited to add: Also, if we let Stafford walk, we would certainly get the very first comp pick in the following years draft.


I honestly think MM or any top man in the organization is scared to let Staff go. If it was to happen, I think itd require a tag and trade for a 2nd, so we would get that 2nd, a 2nd round comp pick, 20 mil in space, and a gaping hole to fill at QB.


There is no such animal as a 2nd round comp pick. And even if there were, you don't get comp picks for any players that you trade.


June 9th, 2013, 9:26 pm
Profile
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman
User avatar

Joined: March 30th, 2006, 12:48 am
Posts: 3824
Location: Davison Mi
Post Re: Lions working on Stafford deal, but have a deadline
As long as he plays like a top 10 qb, he will be paid as such. If we didn't pay him, another team would. Signing him o a long term deal is smart as qb salaries are only going to go up with time, and Matt IS the future of his team.

_________________
2013 Lionbacker Fantasy Football Champion


June 9th, 2013, 11:00 pm
Profile
Post Re: Lions working on Stafford deal, but have a deadline
BillySims wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
I love that we're literally choosing to bargain from a poor position, with an unproven talent that has a significant injury history, and significant issues with his game, and it's for a $100 million plus... Must be nice to own an organization where you can still be profitable and make such stupid, stupid mistakes.


UNPROVEN? And SIGNIFICANT INJURY is HISTORY. He has been completely healthy for all of the last 2 seasons and has passed for almost 10,000 yards in those 2 years. The ONLY thing he has left to prove is that he can win a playoff game.

That said, I don't want his contract redone. He will undoubtedly get $20Million/season or more, in his next contract. He will be at that number this year. But, next year, we get a small break on his contract number.

Let him play it out and prove he can win in the playoffs ( This year). If he does, pay him the going rate. If not, draft a QB next year and let Stafford walk when his contract is up. Then, our Cap room increases dramatically.

Edited to add: Also, if we let Stafford walk, we would certainly get the very first comp pick in the following years draft.


What was his completion percentage, and how many games did we win last year? Yes, unproven.

Sure, he's been relatively healthy for the last two seasons, but many speculated that he was injured last year, which hurt his accuracy. People can't use an injury to excuse past performance, and then cry when someone brings up the injury issue. It doesn't work that way.

Right now he's worth about $12-15 mill per year. If we "bake into" his next deal the $43 mill he's due over the next two seasons he's going to get $15-18 mill per. That's stupid. It's not worth the reduction in salary cap to hitch our wagon to a guy for 5-7 more years that isn't a proven winner in the NFL. Sorry, that's just the harsh reality. Pay him at least this season without modifying his deal, and talk next year, IF he proves something about an extension. We have no leverage right now, and we're not in a great bargaining position. It's not smart to choose to negotiate from that perspective.


June 10th, 2013, 2:15 am
Team MVP
User avatar

Joined: February 20th, 2007, 10:51 pm
Posts: 3362
Location: Saginaw, MI
Post Re: Lions working on Stafford deal, but have a deadline
Let Stafford go? Are you kidding me? How come whenever we get a good player, we always talk about either letting him go or trading him?

You let Stafford go, you pretty much lost CJ until our next QB can gel with him, and who knows if that QB has the arm to consistently get it to him deep like Matt can. Sure, Stafford's completion percentage can be a little higher, or his mechanics better, or things like that but I got news guys, players CAN improve you know. We FINALLY have a franchise QB and people want to let him go. Just cant win can we.

_________________
April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.


Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011


June 10th, 2013, 2:05 pm
Profile
Post Re: Lions working on Stafford deal, but have a deadline
kdsberman wrote:
Let Stafford go? Are you kidding me? How come whenever we get a good player, we always talk about either letting him go or trading him?

You let Stafford go, you pretty much lost CJ until our next QB can gel with him, and who knows if that QB has the arm to consistently get it to him deep like Matt can. Sure, Stafford's completion percentage can be a little higher, or his mechanics better, or things like that but I got news guys, players CAN improve you know. We FINALLY have a franchise QB and people want to let him go. Just cant win can we.


You won't hear me talk of wanting to get rid of him, IF he becomes a franchise Qb... And, by "franchise Qb" I don't mean the best guy on our team, I mean he has to be a Qb that any team in the league would want to build around. To do that he's going to have to make better decisions and his accuracy is going to have to improve. If two years from now he's still in the 52-54% accuracy range, still losing, and still can't pick up a blitz read, I say let him walk. He won't be worth the $15-18 mill he's going to command.


June 10th, 2013, 6:33 pm
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: January 26th, 2005, 9:34 pm
Posts: 10302
Location: Sycamore, IL
Post Re: Lions working on Stafford deal, but have a deadline
Wjb, what are you talking about if he's still in the 52-54% range? The last 3 years he's been at 59.4 (3 games), 63.5, and 59.8% (both full seasons). The only year he's been in your range was his rookie year. How can he still be in that range if he's a good 6-7% higher than that??

_________________
_____
I have no faith this team will win a game the rest of the year. The kitties finish at 7-9 and Miss the playoffs as GB wins out and takes it from the kitties.
Image


June 10th, 2013, 11:59 pm
Profile
Hall of Fame Player
User avatar

Joined: May 7th, 2005, 3:25 pm
Posts: 7441
Location: Earth/Sagittarius Dwarf Galaxy
Post Re: Lions working on Stafford deal, but have a deadline
kdsberman wrote:
Let Stafford go? Are you kidding me? How come whenever we get a good player, we always talk about either letting him go or trading him?

You let Stafford go, you pretty much lost CJ until our next QB can gel with him, and who knows if that QB has the arm to consistently get it to him deep like Matt can. Sure, Stafford's completion percentage can be a little higher, or his mechanics better, or things like that but I got news guys, players CAN improve you know. We FINALLY have a franchise QB and people want to let him go. Just cant win can we.


I did not say we should let him go. I said we should let him go IF he can't prove that he can win a playoff game. He has two seasons remaining on his current contract to prove he can win a playoff game. If he can't, we cut bait, let him walk, draft a new QB, get massive cap relief, and get a comp pick.


June 11th, 2013, 6:25 pm
Profile
Team MVP
User avatar

Joined: February 20th, 2007, 10:51 pm
Posts: 3362
Location: Saginaw, MI
Post Re: Lions working on Stafford deal, but have a deadline
BillySims wrote:
kdsberman wrote:
Let Stafford go? Are you kidding me? How come whenever we get a good player, we always talk about either letting him go or trading him?

You let Stafford go, you pretty much lost CJ until our next QB can gel with him, and who knows if that QB has the arm to consistently get it to him deep like Matt can. Sure, Stafford's completion percentage can be a little higher, or his mechanics better, or things like that but I got news guys, players CAN improve you know. We FINALLY have a franchise QB and people want to let him go. Just cant win can we.


I did not say we should let him go. I said we should let him go IF he can't prove that he can win a playoff game. He has two seasons remaining on his current contract to prove he can win a playoff game. If he can't, we cut bait, let him walk, draft a new QB, get massive cap relief, and get a comp pick.


Winning a playoff game is about a team effort. If the TEAM doesn't win a playoff game, how on earth does that mean how good of player stafford is?

_________________
April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.


Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011


June 11th, 2013, 7:26 pm
Profile
Hall of Fame Player
User avatar

Joined: May 7th, 2005, 3:25 pm
Posts: 7441
Location: Earth/Sagittarius Dwarf Galaxy
Post Re: Lions working on Stafford deal, but have a deadline
kdsberman wrote:
BillySims wrote:
kdsberman wrote:
Let Stafford go? Are you kidding me? How come whenever we get a good player, we always talk about either letting him go or trading him?

You let Stafford go, you pretty much lost CJ until our next QB can gel with him, and who knows if that QB has the arm to consistently get it to him deep like Matt can. Sure, Stafford's completion percentage can be a little higher, or his mechanics better, or things like that but I got news guys, players CAN improve you know. We FINALLY have a franchise QB and people want to let him go. Just cant win can we.


I did not say we should let him go. I said we should let him go IF he can't prove that he can win a playoff game. He has two seasons remaining on his current contract to prove he can win a playoff game. If he can't, we cut bait, let him walk, draft a new QB, get massive cap relief, and get a comp pick.


Winning a playoff game is about a team effort. If the TEAM doesn't win a playoff game, how on earth does that mean how good of player stafford is?


The QB gets the credit with a win and the scrutiny with a loss. Obviously, if we lose because someone other than the QB screwed up, you have to take that into consideration.


June 11th, 2013, 7:58 pm
Profile
Post Re: Lions working on Stafford deal, but have a deadline
Make no mistake about it, our offense lost us that game. We went three and out two or three times and hung the defense out to dry. If we would have had a good, not great but good Qb, we would have won that game.


June 11th, 2013, 9:22 pm
Player of the Year - Defense

Joined: September 13th, 2007, 12:43 pm
Posts: 2698
Post Re: Lions working on Stafford deal, but have a deadline
Anyone who thinks the Lions can afford to let Stafford walk knows nothing about the modern NFL.

WJB is right, he's still pretty unproven. He's basically had two seasons: one good, one mediocre.

But he's 24, has a big arm, and had a really good NFL season. That's worth $18-20M/yr.

Crazy? Yes. That's just how the modern NFL is. You either have a QB or you're doing everything in your power to get one.


June 11th, 2013, 10:45 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 121 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Growler, Yahoo [Bot] and 7 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.