View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 28th, 2014, 6:58 pm

Reply to topic  [ 121 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next
 Lions working on Stafford deal, but have a deadline 
Rookie Player of the Year

Post Re: Lions working on Stafford deal, but have a deadline
Career 45 1,114 1,863 59.8 12,807 6.87 80 75 54 11 82.8

Career 165 2,898 4,715 61.5 32,942 6.99 165 90 141 30 81.6

Stafford's numbers versus a three time Super Bowl winning QB. The same QB I said from day one that Stafford would have a career very comparable to if the Lions could get an O-line and at least respectable running game and the Lions haven't done those two things as of yet. We will see how things look this season. The Lions are having Stafford throw about a hundred more times a year than they need him to even in this new vertical NFL.

June 14th, 2013, 5:07 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

brady?

June 15th, 2013, 5:22 pm
Killwill25 wrote:
brady?

Stafford is nothing like Brady...

Those numbers are just gibberish to me... Can't tell what they are, or who they belong to.

June 15th, 2013, 5:54 pm
Blueskies wrote:
I think $18/yr would be a bargain. Other teams might be willing $20m+

Either you have a QB and you have a shot, or you have no QB and you have no shot.

Look at all the dumb things teams have done to get a QB in recent years. The Raiders paying a first and second for washed-up Palmer. The Vikings drafting Christian Ponder, etc.

Say the Lions let Stafford go. Then they have three options:

1) Build a legendary defense. Not just a good defense, or a very good defense. A defense to rival the 2000 Ravens.
2) Go 2-14 and draft another Stafford
3) Trade multiple first round picks for a QB

Flacco is nothing special, Eli is nothing special... You don't need a great Qb to succeed.

June 15th, 2013, 5:55 pm
Rookie Player of the Year

Sorry for the gibberish and the point was that his career comp% and QB rating are on par with a three time Super Bowl winning QB(Aikman), without half the supporting cast that Aikman had.

Stafford GP CMP ATT CMP% YDS AVG TD LNG INT FUM QBR RAT

Career 45 1,114 1,863 59.8 12,807 6.87 80 75 54 11 55.7 82.8

Aikman

Career 165 2,898 4,715 61.5 32,942 6.99 165 90 141 30 -- 81.6

June 15th, 2013, 8:34 pm
Player of the Year - Defense

wjb21ndtown wrote:
Blueskies wrote:

Either you have a QB and you have a shot, or you have no QB and you have no shot.

Look at all the dumb things teams have done to get a QB in recent years. The Raiders paying a first and second for washed-up Palmer. The Vikings drafting Christian Ponder, etc.

1) Build a legendary defense. Not just a good defense, or a very good defense. A defense to rival the 2000 Ravens.

Flacco is nothing special, Eli is nothing special... You don't need a great Qb to succeed.

I agree. But your examples only strengthen my point.

Eli got a contract for $15M/yr in 2009. Flacco just signed one for $20M/yr.

Even slightly above average QBs are worth big money. It's just the nature of the NFL. It's a QB driven, passing dominant league.

June 16th, 2013, 7:10 pm
Player of the Year - Defense

Regardless of what you think of Stafford, negotiating now is the right move. QB salaries unlike other positions, only move in one direction. Stafford is also the youngest of the bunch mentioned at 25. With 2 years left on his deal, it gives more leverage and allows us to free up cap room now, and avoid the QB salary marks to go up next year when he's entering his final year. If something happens that Stafford completely regresses, we'd only be out the guaranteed money if we had to cut him and that can be spread out. We're either going to pay that this year + next, or down the line regardless, so might as well free up some cap room now to improve the team now rather than later.

June 16th, 2013, 9:04 pm
3rd Round Selection

njroar wrote:
QB salaries unlike other positions, only move in one direction.

If I were the Lions, I'd have a look round the league to see who is likely to be extended in the next couple of years. The Flacco deal, IMO, sets the market a bit higher than you'd expect because of his superbowl. I guess the Matt Ryan extension could make that worse, or better. Are there any others?

The other factor IMO is if any more rookies come in and start performing at or near to what Wilson, Kapernick, RGIII or Luck have been doing then there's the potential to argue that the new NFL model is to grab a rookie QB on a cap friendly deal rather than pay a massive % of your cap to a veteran, unless that vet is massively proven. I can see that effect ultimately killing off the QB "middle class" market - why pay a large % of your cap to a vet who likely isn't the kind of player to get you to a SB rather than roll the dice on a rookie who may turn out to be better or worse, but who will at least fee up $ to spend on other positions? The question would be how far upwards that "middle class" extends - which side will Stafford fall?

I'd like to see Stafford extended, but I think the effects of the new CBA still haven't shaken out yet and I think they could work in our favour on Stafford's contract. So I'd be tempted to wait it out a little.

June 17th, 2013, 3:05 am
NFL Veteran

I think they should be looking at extending him now and trying to squeeze as much as they can into this year instead of freeing up more space. There really isn't any one player they could go out and get to improve the team at this point. They should try to get his contract lower in the middle years and larger in this first part and the end, so they can get a nice chunk of space when the cap starts to rise.

June 17th, 2013, 11:27 am
Blueskies wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
Blueskies wrote:

I agree. But your examples only strengthen my point.

Eli got a contract for $15M/yr in 2009. Flacco just signed one for $20M/yr.

Even slightly above average QBs are worth big money. It's just the nature of the NFL. It's a QB driven, passing dominant league.

The examples may strengthen your point, but the stats sure don't. Very mediocre stats for their performance. I agree with UK that there is little to gain by extending him this year, and it's only marquee players that drive up the price of new Qb deals. Stafford is one that will follow a benchmark, not set one... Or at least that's what the case should be. I also agree that the flourishing rookies prove my team building philosophy all along, build a great team and the Qb will look at least good. There are plenty of examples of very mediocre Qbs putting up solid numbers on good teams, at 1/2 the cost or less of what these star Qbs are making.

June 17th, 2013, 12:44 pm
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

im sorry...is there anyone on this board who DOESNT think Matt is a top 10 QB in this league RIGHT NOW?????

pay the kid!

June 17th, 2013, 2:09 pm
Heisman Winner

Let me see in no particular order:

1. Brady
2. P.Manning
3. E.Manning
4. A.Rodgers
5. M.Ryan
6. D.Brees

These 6 are for sure better, if I were to continue on and I think you can make a debate for these next guys to be better as well.

7. Roethlisberger
8. Flacco
9. Schaub
10. Rivers
11. Romo
12. Cutler
13. Stafford

I'd say he's near or just at a top 10 QB. You could shuffle around the 7 through 13 a little bit but I wouldn't move any of them more than 2 or 3 spots.

June 17th, 2013, 6:22 pm
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

If you look at just the last 2 years, rivers is off the list. He's been average at best. Cutler above Staff? Not IMO...but it's debatable. Schuad is good, but not top 10 IMO. But once againg debatable.

The point is he is in the conversation for top 10. There is no reason to expect him to take average money...his play dictates he's above that.

Once again. Pay the kid. If we don't, some else will and then we get to play "the Joey years" all over again.

June 17th, 2013, 6:35 pm
QB Coach

Did I read the list right? :shock: Romo is listed ahead of Stafford? How many games has he lost singlehandedly? He's been on the hot seat for what 2 or 3 years, and stays in place because the owner continues to pay him. I'm not a football nerd, knowing all things football in and out, but I don't see Romo making the list ahead of Stafford.

Cutler has guts, but he's not better. I'd say comparable or on the same level, based upon talent, but his saving grace has been the defense.

Roethlisberger is another one that I scratch my head on concerning the list, along with Rivers. I could see Stafford at #10 or 11, but not 13 that doesn't make any sense to me. But what do I know.

2 Chronicles 10:14, "if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land."

June 18th, 2013, 8:09 am
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

lol @Rivers being better

June 18th, 2013, 9:47 pm
Reply to topic   [ 121 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next