View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 23rd, 2014, 8:10 pm

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Lions sign Chris Hope 
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

Post Lions sign Chris Hope
Quote:
Lions sign veteran Chris Hope
4:51 PM, June 24, 2013

Because of the uncertain status of safety Louis Delmas, the Lions are going to have question marks in the secondary.

They tried to provide a short-term answer Monday. According to Tim Twentyman of the team’s official website, the Lions have signed veteran safety Chris Hope.

Hope played in all 16 games for the Falcons last year, starting four. He’s also played for the Steelers and Titans, but hasn’t been a regular starter since 2010.

Delmas’ troublesome knee limited him during the spring, though no one has said much about his prognosis. Hope at least gives them a smart veteran for cover until they know more.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... hris-hope/

Awesome move. He's a very good ST player and a good backup option at FS and occasional starter. 20 INTs. The safety position looks stable now, and if Delmas stays healthy it might even be a big strength.

June 24th, 2013, 5:37 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Post Re: Lions sign Chris Hope
Really liked Hope back in the day, Actually wanted them to go get him when he left the Steelers, it was his Range and Ballhawking Saavy that allowed Polamolu to range from Blitz to Deep Cover based on what he saw.

Good pickup as a Backup now, but still uneasy overall with the Delmas situation.

June 24th, 2013, 6:06 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
NFL Veteran

I wonder if it's Spievey or Wendling that gets the axe if he works out in camp. Spievey has the concussion issues and Wendling is just a special teams ace. Hope seems like he could replace both.

June 24th, 2013, 6:17 pm
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

I really like the pickup. What a good insurance policy. I don't know if I want him starting 16 games for us, but he's a great fill in for the 6 or so games that Delmas will be out!

June 24th, 2013, 6:36 pm
Team MVP

Championship!

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

June 24th, 2013, 9:13 pm
RIP Killer

Why is everyone loving this signing? It's a decent depth deal, but he's washed up. His best football is behind him. His spine injury didn't seem to affect him that much, as he was still very productive for a couple years after that, but he hasn't done much at all for about 3 years.

June 25th, 2013, 9:11 am
NFL Veteran

conversion02 wrote:
Why is everyone loving this signing? It's a decent depth deal, but he's washed up. His best football is behind him. His spine injury didn't seem to affect him that much, as he was still very productive for a couple years after that, but he hasn't done much at all for about 3 years.

Shotty is the only one that used the word love for the signing. Kds is obviously being sarcastic and the rest of us only made mention of him being a back up.

He's actually only 2 years removed from being a decent starter and has 6 years of experience playing with the wide-9. My hope is he can kick out Spievey who isn't worth a roster spot and maybe even Wendling who only gives you special teams.

June 25th, 2013, 9:54 am
RIP Killer

It's a good move because our depth at that position flat out sucks. Spievey should have been cut last year. Wendling showed he cannot be relied upon as a starter. Silva is hot and cold as a starter. Hope may not be the player he once was, but I would feel better if he's called on to start than if they ask Silva or Wendling to.

June 25th, 2013, 12:47 pm
Player of the Year - Defense

From all I've been hearing, Don Carey has been the biggest surprise. He's the one starting opposite Quin right now, and they expect him to step in if Delmas can't go. Hope will bring depth and it'll be interesting to see how the depth chart unfolds when cutdowns start.

June 25th, 2013, 3:20 pm

Quote:
Lions sign DL Isreal Idonije
12:50 PM, June 25, 2013

The Lions have added more depth to a defensive line that already has a good deal of starpower, signing Israel Idonije to a one-year contact, a league source told PFT’s Mike Florio on Tuesday.

The 6-foot-6, 275-pound Idonije looks like a solid fit for Detroit. He made starts at left end and defensive tackle for Chicago in 2012, and such flexibility will suit him well playing for Lions DL coach Jim Washburn, a proponent of rotating linemen to keep them fresh.

The 32-year-old Idonije notched 48 tackles and 7.5 sacks for the Bears a season ago, making 11 starts. Per Pro Football Focus, he played 514 snaps at end and 212 snaps at tackle in 2012.

The Lions have a different look at defensive end after losing Cliff Avril in free agency and releasing Kyle Vanden Bosch. However, they have restocked the ranks at the position. Ex-Seahawk Jason Jones, like Idonije, can play end and tackle. Also, rookie Ezekiel Ansah, the No. 5 overall pick, is a young rush prospect with promise.

Now, after wrapping up their offseason work, the Lions have brought in Idonije, who strengthens their hand at both line positions.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... l-idonije/

So now we have two solid DT/DE hybrids, two talented raw ends, CJ Mosley and the best starting DT tandem in the league. Can't be mad about this group.

June 25th, 2013, 3:41 pm
NFL Veteran

njroar wrote:
From all I've been hearing, Don Carey has been the biggest surprise. He's the one starting opposite Quin right now, and they expect him to step in if Delmas can't go. Hope will bring depth and it'll be interesting to see how the depth chart unfolds when cutdowns start.

I think I would rather have Carey just be the starter with Delmas coming in sparingly. IMO Carey and Quinn would make a very consistent though non flashy Safety tandem. Carey is almost a clone of Quinn to begin with and having him learning and mirroring Quinn on the field could do wonders for his game.

June 25th, 2013, 3:51 pm
conversion02 wrote:

I agree completely. I wanted this guy 3 years ago as a starter and everyone said I was nuts. Now he's washed up and injured and people are jumping for joy...

What a fickle bunch.

June 25th, 2013, 4:25 pm
Hall of Fame Player

Shotty wrote:
Quote:

The Lions have added more depth to a defensive line that already has a good deal of starpower, signing Israel Idonije to a one-year contact, a league source told PFT’s Mike Florio on Tuesday.

The 6-foot-6, 275-pound Idonije looks like a solid fit for Detroit. He made starts at left end and defensive tackle for Chicago in 2012, and such flexibility will suit him well playing for Lions DL coach Jim Washburn, a proponent of rotating linemen to keep them fresh.

The 32-year-old Idonije notched 48 tackles and 7.5 sacks for the Bears a season ago, making 11 starts. Per Pro Football Focus, he played 514 snaps at end and 212 snaps at tackle in 2012.

The Lions have a different look at defensive end after losing Cliff Avril in free agency and releasing Kyle Vanden Bosch. However, they have restocked the ranks at the position. Ex-Seahawk Jason Jones, like Idonije, can play end and tackle. Also, rookie Ezekiel Ansah, the No. 5 overall pick, is a young rush prospect with promise.

Now, after wrapping up their offseason work, the Lions have brought in Idonije, who strengthens their hand at both line positions.

So now we have two solid DT/DE hybrids, two talented raw ends, CJ Mosley and the best starting DT tandem in the league. Can't be mad about this group.

I saw this comment on a Yahoo article about this signing:

Quote:
Ezekiel? Israel?

Can we start calling them the “Old Testament” defense?

There has to be a Moses out there they can pick up.

ROFL :lol:

June 25th, 2013, 11:08 pm

BillySims wrote:
Shotty wrote:
Quote:

I saw this comment on a Yahoo article about this signing:

Quote:
Ezekiel? Israel?

Can we start calling them the “Old Testament” defense?

There has to be a Moses out there they can pick up.

ROFL :lol:

Lol nice. Didn't notice that

June 26th, 2013, 12:38 am
Rookie Player of the Year

wjb21ndtown wrote:
conversion02 wrote:

I agree completely. I wanted this guy 3 years ago as a starter and everyone said I was nuts. Now he's washed up and injured and people are jumping for joy...

What a fickle bunch.

Wait, you're saying you called something related to the Lions? That's a first.

June 26th, 2013, 1:42 pm
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next