View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 22nd, 2014, 9:13 pm

Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 DOMA & Prop 8 Decisions Explained: What It All Means 
Modmin Dude

Post DOMA & Prop 8 Decisions Explained: What It All Means
Daily Beast wrote:
DOMA & Prop 8 Decisions Explained: What It All Means
by Eliza Shapiro Jun 26, 2013 10:58 AM EDT

The Defense of Marriage Act is dead. Prop 8 is history. So who can get married now, and where? Eliza Shapiro explains today’s historic Supreme Court decisions.

It’s a gay day in America.

On Wednesday morning, the Supreme Court made two highly-anticipated decisions on same-sex marriage, striking down the Defense of Marriage Act and dismissing California’s Prop 8 case.

The DOMA decision was handed down first, to much jubilation among the large crowd of gay-rights activists gathered outside the Court. The 1996 federal law had barred defined the institution of marriage as a union between a man and a woman, thus denying federal benefits for gay couples whose marriages were recognized at the state level—like joint tax returns, Social Security, health insurance and pension protection, benefits for military couples, and immigration protections for couples from different countries.

But no longer: the court invalidated DOMA in a 5-4 ruling. Justice Kennedy, who delivered the decisive vote along with the Court’s four liberal justices, wrote the majority opinion. “[DOMA] violates basic due process and equal protection principles applicable to the Federal Government,” Kennedy wrote.

Minutes after the decision was handed down, President Obama tweeted minutes after the decision, “Today’s DOMA ruling is a historic step forward for Marriage Equality. #LoveIsLove” Conservatives criticized the decision; Todd Starnes, the host of Fox News and Commentary, tweeted “Supreme Court overrules God.”

The DOMA ruling is a big deal, but not a shocking one: the constitutionality of the law has long been questioned, and the expert SCOTUSBlog predicted that it would likely be struck down.

The Prop 8 ruling, on the other hand, is less decisive and more complicated. Prop 8 is a 2008 California ballot initiative that prohibited same-sex marriage by amending the state’s constitution. The case was dismissed today on the basis that the petitioners don’t have standing; since the California courts have already struck down Prop 8, the lawyers opposing the bill don’t have standing to defend it. This means the court has effectively validated the rulings of lower courts that have rejected Prop 8.

The ruling was not divided across the predictable liberal/conservative divide. The majority opinion to dismiss Prop 8. was written by Roberts, who was joined Scalia, Kagan, Ginsburg, and Breyer.

So if you’re a same-sex couple in California and want to get married, the court just cleared the way for that to happen. San Francisco mayor Gavin Newsom predicted on Twitter that gay marriages would begin in the state within a month or two.

In neither decision did the Supreme Court legalize same-sex marriage nationally—that will require a lot more legislation. But if you’re in a same-sex marriage already, your rights just broadened exponentially.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2 ... means.html
A step in the right direction IMO. True equality has a ways to go, but its a good step towards that goal.

June 26th, 2013, 11:33 am
NFL Veteran

Post Re: DOMA & Prop 8 Decisions Explained: What It All Means
Daily Beast wrote:
Todd Starnes, the host of Fox News and Commentary, tweeted “Supreme Court overrules God.”

Maybe I'm weird but isn't this comment really funny? In my mind of course the Supreme Court overrules God in US law making. The whole idea of having a wall of separation between the church and state is so the government can neither aid nor hinder religion and should not use religious beliefs as basis for making laws.

June 26th, 2013, 12:03 pm
Modmin Dude

rao wrote:
Daily Beast wrote:
Todd Starnes, the host of Fox News and Commentary, tweeted “Supreme Court overrules God.”
Maybe I'm weird but isn't this comment really funny? In my mind of course the Supreme Court overrules God in US law making. The whole idea of having a wall of separation between the church and state is so the government can neither aid nor hinder religion and should not use religious beliefs as basis for making laws.
You know, I hadn't even thought of that, but that is a GREAT point.

June 26th, 2013, 12:06 pm
Lionbacker Rehab Guru

The question is not, 'Should Gay marriage be legal?' The question should be, 'Why does society have to change, adapt, support or encourage ones private decisions?' Let's end this idiocy that being born Gay is genetic. Let's make sure that children know they have a choice for their actions - and that they should choose well.

Then let's make sure religious liberty is protected. That the LGBT totalitarian junta has forced the closure of Catholic adoption agencies is a travesty. Further, a Christian business owner doesn't want to employ Gays - it's their call.

People are born sexual. More, I would hazard to bet that sexual gratification is every bit as addictive as mind altering drugs. How people decide to satisfy their sexual nature is completely a matter of choice. They can find satisfaction in their hands, articifical substitutes (dolls, vibrators, cherry pie), animals, or people. They can choose same sex or opposite sex. They can choose helpless small children or helpless old people. They can choose S&M bondage, furries, cuddle puddles, and any orifice of interest. Of course, they can choose tender loving, man/woman, hetero sexuality. There is a sexual animal in each of us. The one that lives is the one we feed.

There are consequences for choosing sexual behaviors that are self destructive. Some choices result in prison sentences, or, at least, they should. There are rewards for choosing sexual behaviors that are fulfilling. It is mind boggling stupid that in the present discussion about human sexuality is the insistance that we have no choice in the matter. That we are helpless pawns to our genes. And worse, that there are no personal sufferings for our actions. This is sheer lunacy. Your life, your choice. Choose well or suffer the consequences.

June 26th, 2013, 12:43 pm
Lionbacker Rehab Guru

The other side of the coin that is troubling, (and has been for many years, but seems to be steadily worsening), is that we no longer are a nation of laws enacted by a legislature and/or voted on by the people. Instead we have Presidential fiats, Administrative rulings and Supreme Court edicts.

We might as well dissolve Congress, save the money, and wait for President or the courts to tell us what we are allowed to do.

June 26th, 2013, 12:51 pm
Modmin Dude

TruckinMack wrote:
The question is not, 'Should Gay marriage be legal?' The question should be, 'Why does society have to change, adapt, support or encourage ones private decisions?' Let's end this idiocy that being born Gay is genetic. Let's make sure that children know they have a choice for their actions - and that they should choose well.

Then let's make sure religious liberty is protected. That the LGBT totalitarian junta has forced the closure of Catholic adoption agencies is a travesty. Further, a Christian business owner doesn't want to employ Gays - it's their call.

People are born sexual. More, I would hazard to bet that sexual gratification is every bit as addictive as mind altering drugs. How people decide to satisfy their sexual nature is completely a matter of choice. They can find satisfaction in their hands, articifical substitutes (dolls, vibrators, cherry pie), animals, or people. They can choose same sex or opposite sex. They can choose helpless small children or helpless old people. They can choose S&M bondage, furries, cuddle puddles, and any orifice of interest. Of course, they can choose tender loving, man/woman, hetero sexuality. There is a sexual animal in each of us. The one that lives is the one we feed.

There are consequences for choosing sexual behaviors that are self destructive. Some choices result in prison sentences, or, at least, they should. There are rewards for choosing sexual behaviors that are fulfilling. It is mind boggling stupid that in the present discussion about human sexuality is the insistance that we have no choice in the matter. That we are helpless pawns to our genes. And worse, that there are no personal sufferings for our actions. This is sheer lunacy. Your life, your choice. Choose well or suffer the consequences.
So, you're in the "it's a choice" camp? Well then, when exactly did you choose to be heterosexual?

June 26th, 2013, 12:52 pm
Player of the Year - Defense

Attraction is not a choice.

Now, you can choose whether or not to act on attraction, and some people certainly should suppress their urges (child molesters, etc.).

However, throwing homosexuality between consenting adults into that camp is just dumb.

June 26th, 2013, 1:42 pm

The Varieties of Biblical Marriage

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/unreasonab ... -marriage/

June 26th, 2013, 1:43 pm
Lionbacker Rehab Guru

TheRealWags wrote:
So, you're in the "it's a choice" camp? Well then, when exactly did you choose to be heterosexual?

My whole life. I have chosen to be a herterosexual, adult only, monogamous, consensual sex kind of person. I was not born this way. I have chosen to be this way. Any given day I could choose to not be any one of those things and it will not be the fault of my genes (other than they made me sexual), it will be my own decision, my own fault.

It sounds like you are in the born without a choice camp. Why are you such a totalitarian dictator that you won't tell people they have a choice?

June 26th, 2013, 2:16 pm
Lionbacker Rehab Guru

Blueskies wrote:
Attraction is not a choice.

Now, you can choose whether or not to act on attraction, and some people certainly should suppress their urges (child molesters, etc.).

However, throwing homosexuality between consenting adults into that camp is just dumb.

What is also dumb is saying we have no choice in our sexual identity. Actually the LGBT knows they do, it is just not politically smart to say so. The LGBT gets way more out of the "I was born this way. You are denying me my civil rights." than they do out of "My life, my choice and if you do not like it that is your problem."

June 26th, 2013, 2:20 pm
Modmin Dude

TruckinMack wrote:
TheRealWags wrote:
My whole life. I have chosen to be a herterosexual, adult only, monogamous, consensual sex kind of person. I was not born this way. I have chosen to be this way. Any given day I could choose to not be any one of those things and it will not be the fault of my genes (other than they made me sexual), it will be my own decision, my own fault.
So, everyday you choose to be attracted to women. Hmm....interesting....
Personally, in my life I have never once made the conscious choice to be attracted to women; its just always been that way, some would call that 'innate'. Now, I have seen some attractive men, but I have not ever been sexually attracted to them.
TruckinMack wrote:
It sounds like you are in the born without a choice camp. Why are you such a totalitarian dictator that you won't tell people they have a choice?
Interesting way for this to be put. Would I also be a 'totalitarian dictator' if I 'choose' not to breathe? Actually, I think that's close to impossible as no matter how long I hold my breathe, I still end up breathing....its almost as if its something I was born with......

June 26th, 2013, 2:55 pm

Saying attraction is a choice is really just theater of the absurd. It's like saying the earth is flat or that it revolves around the Sun. Not even worthy of a response IMO. You can certainly say people choose whether or not to act on their attractions, but to say that they choose what they're attracted to is just proven wrong by basic common sense.

Even among heterosexual men, each has their own quirks. Some prefer women a bit thicker than others; some have a thing for redheads, or prefer a large bust over a tight behind (or vice-versa).

I've always had a "type" of women that I'm attracted to ever since I can remember having sexual attraction (maybe 12 or 13?). It's never once been a choice for me, just as though I don't choose to be hungry or not (although I can choose not to eat).

June 26th, 2013, 3:13 pm
QB Coach

So can I choose to smoke? Nope it's bad for you, we'll tax the crap out of you and tell you where you can smoke

So can I choose to drink more than 16 oz of soda? Nope it's bad for you, it causes obesity

So can I choose to own a gun? Nope it's dangerous for kids

So can I choose to serve God? Nope it offends people

So can what can I choose? Abortion!

Seen on a FB post, roughly translated.

I will attempt to use a voice of reason here without being religious....

What is at stake here is CONTROL. The Government will control EVERYTHING!!!

Those who do not agree with a homosexual lifestyle, and speak against it, and the dangers of it, are now "hate mongers, intolerant, biggots, and much more". So they must be silenced! We (Americans) are no longer allowed our opinions, because those in authority will circumvent the Constitution which is the bedrock law of this land. It is the fulcrum of what good and bad behavior is weighed on. Labeling it as an outdated, irrelevant document is not only wrong, it's criminal. So when things can not be passed legally, we'll just issue an Executive Order that side steps the Constitution.

Getting back to the control issue, Governtment does or will control:
Housing, food, employment, healthcare, utilities, childcare, and so on, there shall be no free thinkers to rock the boat. You will vote as we tell you, do as we tell you, go where we tell you, and other than that we're a free nation. Mark my words, if you don't see Governmental Control in these areas, just wait, it's coming.

2 Chronicles 10:14, "if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land."

June 26th, 2013, 3:42 pm
QB Coach

Oh and for the record, I didn't have an opinion on DOMA. I think it was a wasted effort in trying to bail out a ship that's already sinking. But I do have to wonder, since this door to perversity (being different) is open where does it stop?

When will the pedaphiles, and bestiality types start in on their rights to express "love" as they choose? And since the doors been opened, who will be willing to say no to that, since we want to be fair?

2 Chronicles 10:14, "if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land."

June 26th, 2013, 3:45 pm

Quote:
When will the pedaphiles, and bestiality types start in on their rights to express "love" as they choose? And since the doors been opened, who will be willing to say no to that, since we want to be fair?

*facepalm*

Yes, because animals and children are capable of signing a marriage contract.

June 26th, 2013, 4:06 pm
Reply to topic   [ 44 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next