View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 19th, 2014, 10:05 pm

Reply to topic  [ 121 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Lions working on Stafford deal, but have a deadline 
Post Re: Lions working on Stafford deal, but have a deadline
rao wrote:
Brees never played with Ricky Williams. He got there in 2006 which was Duece's last good year before his second ACL that killed his running ability. In the 4 years Brees was in NO before Jimmy Graham got there he got one season with a better than below average running game. They were in the bottom 1/3 of the league in yards and yards per attempt in 2006 2007 and 2008. NO has put the team on Brees' shoulders since they signed him and aside from Colston none of his receivers have been special until they added Jimmy Graham.

Never said Brees and Williams were teammates, just showing that NO has been committed to a good groin game for over a decade.

IMO NO is bottom 1/3rd in the league at rushing by design. There's a reason they're always in the top 5 teams in passing attempts, they're damn good at it... And their RBs are expected to be able to catch as well.

June 27th, 2013, 7:29 pm
3rd Round Selection

wjb21ndtown wrote:
been committed to a good groin game for over a decade.

Me too! :D

June 28th, 2013, 3:36 am
Heisman Winner

Just saw on Sportscenter that Jaws has Stafford ranked at the 16th best current QB.

July 8th, 2013, 5:47 pm
Butkus Award Winner

aManNamedSuh wrote:
Just saw on Sportscenter that Jaws has Stafford ranked at the 16th best current QB.

In 2011, Stafford threw 34 TDs to 7 INTs in his games without the finger issue.

He is top 10 without a single doubt, IMO. Put 15 QBs he ranked higher in Stafford's position in 2012, and none other than Peyton, Brady, Brees, Rodgers, and maybe 1-3 more would put up stats any better.

July 8th, 2013, 8:47 pm
Heisman Winner

Shotty wrote:
aManNamedSuh wrote:

He is top 10 without a single doubt, IMO. Put 15 QBs he ranked higher in Stafford's position in 2012, and none other than Peyton, Brady, Brees, Rodgers, and maybe 1-3 more would put up stats any better.

To me you can't pick and choose which games you include, his stats are his stats and the injury(ies) need to be factored in the ranking.

July 8th, 2013, 8:59 pm
QB Coach

aManNamedSuh wrote:
Shotty wrote:
aManNamedSuh wrote:

To me you can't pick and choose which games you include, his stats are his stats and the injury(ies) need to be factored in the ranking.

Agreed. As for where he ranks, it's not all about stats. I think you can pretty easily rank QBs based on a sort of common sense/eyeball test from just watching their play. Break them down into tiers if you will, like so:

Definitely better than Stafford (QBs who consistently win and play big in the biggest moments)
Rodgers
P. Manning
Brady
Brees
Roethlisberger

Marginally better than Stafford (Solid, if unspectacular, but generally get the job done)
Matt Ryan
Joe Flacco

Even with Stafford (nothing distinctive to separate them)
Matt Schaub
Tony Romo
Philip Rivers (possibly should be below him, but giving the benefit of the doubt based on career)
Josh Freeman
Jay Cutler

Incomplete (too young to know, but look promising)
RGIII
Russell Wilson
Cam Newton
Andrew Luck

Marginally worse than Stafford
Alex Smith
Sam Bradford
Andy Dalton
Christian Ponder

Definitely Worse than Stafford
Carson Palmer
Ryan Fitzpatrick
Brandon Weeden
Ryan Tannehill
Mark Sanchez
Michael Vick
Jake Locker
Chad Henne
Matt Cassel
Blaine Gabbert
Kevin Kolb
So, based on my own not-so-expert analysis, I'd say there are 5 QBs who are definitely better than Stafford. 2 that are marginally better, and 5 others who are about even. So that should put him in the range of #8-13. So Jaws rankings are not that far off. Now, I just took a look at his rankings so far (I wrote the previous part of this post before looking at his rankings), and here's who he has behind Stafford:

Flynn, Locker, Kolb, Henne, Sanchez, Ponder, Weeden, Vick, Tannehill, Palmer, Bradford, Freeman, Smith, dalton, Newton, Rivers. I don't disagree with any of those. He's got Romo at 1 spot ahead of Stafford, which I don't think you can argue with. They're very close. I'd probably give the edge to Stafford due to age and his penchant for late game comebacks compared to Romo. But that's debatable. Also, it's a certainty that he'll have Cutler, Schaub, Wilson, RGIII, and Luck ahead of Stafford. All of those are debatable, especially Wilson, RGIII, and Luck. Having only played 1 season each, they have to prove they can be consistent (and RGIII has to prove he can stay healthy).

Other than that, I think he's probably right. I think Stafford can be a top 10 QB, he just has to improve on a few things.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson

July 9th, 2013, 1:18 am
Butkus Award Winner

Quote:
Extension between Lions, Stafford very close | ProFootballTalk

The Lions are close to locking up another one of their top-two draft picks from past years.

In 2012, it was receiver Calvin Johnson. Now, it’s quarterback Matthew Stafford.

Adam Schefter of ESPN has reported, and PFT can confirm, that a deal between the Lions and Stafford is very close.

Contrary to Schefter’s characterization of the deal as a “blockbuster,” however, it would be closer in the grand scheme of things to a Band Aid.

Per a source with knowledge of the situation, it would be a three-year extension of Stafford’s rookie deal, which currently has two years remaining. And the five-year package would pay Stafford more guaranteed money than the $23.5 million he’s due to earn over the next two seasons combined and Stafford’s franchise tag for 2015, which would be a 20 percent increase over his 2014 cap number.

The guaranteed money will be in the range of $45 million.

The deal isn’t done yet. For now, though, the momentum is pointing toward a three-year extension for Stafford, which would put him under contract through 2017 — and setting him up for another new deal just after his 30th birthday, at the very latest.

July 9th, 2013, 2:44 pm
Modmin Dude

PFT wrote:
Stafford gets $27.5 million to sign under his new deal
Posted by Mike Florio on July 9, 2013, 2:56 PM EDT

The deal isn’t done yet. When it is, and barring a dramatic, last-minute change, Stafford will earn $27.5 million with the stroke of a pen.

That’s the signing bonus he’ll receive on his three-year extension, per a source with knowledge of the terms.

Stafford also will receive a base salary of $4 million this year, pushing his total payout for 2013 to $31.5 million.

The cap savings for the next two years (total) will be in the range of $7 million. That’s money that can be used to re-sign tight end Brandon Pettigrew or defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh.

Stafford’s $15.3 million average puts him well below the top of the market for quarterbacks. But with the money he’s already earned and $43 million in guarantees, he’ll be closing in on $100 million in career earnings — and he turned 25 in February.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... -new-deal/

July 9th, 2013, 4:11 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Long live Matty! GO LIONS!!!

July 9th, 2013, 5:47 pm
Heisman Winner

I think it's a good deal for both sides.

July 9th, 2013, 8:01 pm
Team MVP

Im happy. Hopefully they can get Suh done next.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

July 10th, 2013, 8:51 am
RIP Killer

Now lets work on that footwork and throwing mechanics to match that contract with some Wins!

July 10th, 2013, 10:21 am
Profile WWW
How are we going to afford to pay him $31.5 million next year?

July 11th, 2013, 11:30 am
Hall of Fame Player

wjb21ndtown wrote:

What are you talking about?

July 11th, 2013, 11:55 am
BillySims wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:

What are you talking about?

Quote:
Stafford also will receive a base salary of $4 million this year, pushing his total payout for 2013 to $31.5 million.

He didn't take a salary cut from his quasi guaranteed $43 million between this year and next. He did a simple restructure, pushing salary into next year, and added three years.

July 11th, 2013, 12:17 pm
Reply to topic   [ 121 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next