View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 23rd, 2014, 3:30 am



Reply to topic  [ 618 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34 ... 42  Next
 Killer's Korner 
Author Message
Player of the Year - Defense

Joined: September 25th, 2007, 3:20 am
Posts: 2815
Post Re: Killer's Korner
I think it was that Nagy is more of the prototype center as far as size goes. When he was healthy, he could have replaced Dom. The problem was that ankle never getting any better, which is surprising in today's sports medicine era. Nagy had better potential, but as we've seen time and time again, it's not a true judge.


July 25th, 2013, 11:24 pm
Profile
Junior Varsity
User avatar

Joined: October 23rd, 2005, 11:58 am
Posts: 193
Location: Dartmouth
Post Re: Killer's Korner
BillySims wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
inheritedlionsfan wrote:
Lions waived Bill Nagy today. So much for him being the heir apparent to Dom.


hahahahaha

And I just keep laughing at the incompetence of it all, and you guys just keep saying "wjb, you don't know what's going on behind closed doors..."


Well, I, for one, never understood how anyone could claim Nagy was better than Dom. Not, that I like Dom. It's just Nagy was never healthy and He never took any snaps. How could anyone know if he was better?


Pretty much the same opinion.

_________________
I was at this casino minding my own business, and this guy came up to me and said, "You're gonna have to move, you're blocking a fire exit." As though if there was a fire, I wasn't gonna run. If you're flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a fire exit


July 26th, 2013, 5:11 pm
Profile
Post Re: Killer's Korner
Grink wrote:
BillySims wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
inheritedlionsfan wrote:
Lions waived Bill Nagy today. So much for him being the heir apparent to Dom.


hahahahaha

And I just keep laughing at the incompetence of it all, and you guys just keep saying "wjb, you don't know what's going on behind closed doors..."


Well, I, for one, never understood how anyone could claim Nagy was better than Dom. Not, that I like Dom. It's just Nagy was never healthy and He never took any snaps. How could anyone know if he was better?


Pretty much the same opinion.


I think part of the problem is that Dom is just undersized and weak. I will say that I believe Kontz, last year, would have been a better OC than Dom. He has longer arms, outweighs him by 30lbs., he's stronger than Dom, and has a more stout lower 1/2. The fact that Kontz can play OG at all on a respectable OL, IMO seals the deal for me. There is no way that Dom can play OG on ant OL in the league. He'd get steam rolled.


July 27th, 2013, 2:47 pm
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: October 20th, 2004, 4:16 pm
Posts: 9940
Location: Where ever I'm at now
Post Re: Killer's Korner
Grink wrote:
BillySims wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
inheritedlionsfan wrote:
Lions waived Bill Nagy today. So much for him being the heir apparent to Dom.


hahahahaha

And I just keep laughing at the incompetence of it all, and you guys just keep saying "wjb, you don't know what's going on behind closed doors..."


Well, I, for one, never understood how anyone could claim Nagy was better than Dom. Not, that I like Dom. It's just Nagy was never healthy and He never took any snaps. How could anyone know if he was better?


Pretty much the same opinion.


Nagy hasn't taken snaps here, but he did play in Dallas before getting hurt and he played very well. That's why the Lions claimed him despite his injury. And it's why the Cowboys were upset the Lions snuck in there and did claim him. Nagy, if he can get truly healthy, is an upgrade over Dom. Not even a question. Dom's best attribute has been his ability to stay healthy and his decisions at making line calls. Physically, he's been outclassed for well over a decade.

_________________
I will not put on blinders when it comes to our QBs performances.


July 29th, 2013, 2:12 pm
Profile
Post Re: Killer's Korner
m2karateman wrote:
Nagy hasn't taken snaps here, but he did play in Dallas before getting hurt and he played very well. That's why the Lions claimed him despite his injury. And it's why the Cowboys were upset the Lions snuck in there and did claim him. Nagy, if he can get truly healthy, is an upgrade over Dom. Not even a question. Dom's best attribute has been his ability to stay healthy and his decisions at making line calls. Physically, he's been outclassed for well over a decade.


And that's pretty bad since his career only spans 12 years... :arrow: :idea:

It's true though. It's even accurate to say that Dom was always too small, too weak, and had arms too short to play the position. He never should have been looked at as a long-term option, he should have been allowed to finish out his rookie deal and walk. We should have been looking to replace him in the last year or two years of his rookie deal with a player like Alex Mack that can truly play OG/OC. Hell, Woody should have been used as a stop-gap and play at OC until we found someone new. That we've paid Dominic Raiola so much for so long is a huge pitfall of this organization.


July 29th, 2013, 4:01 pm
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: October 20th, 2004, 4:16 pm
Posts: 9940
Location: Where ever I'm at now
Post Re: Killer's Korner
wjb21ndtown wrote:
m2karateman wrote:
Nagy hasn't taken snaps here, but he did play in Dallas before getting hurt and he played very well. That's why the Lions claimed him despite his injury. And it's why the Cowboys were upset the Lions snuck in there and did claim him. Nagy, if he can get truly healthy, is an upgrade over Dom. Not even a question. Dom's best attribute has been his ability to stay healthy and his decisions at making line calls. Physically, he's been outclassed for well over a decade.


And that's pretty bad since his career only spans 12 years... :arrow: :idea:

It's true though. It's even accurate to say that Dom was always too small, too weak, and had arms too short to play the position. He never should have been looked at as a long-term option, he should have been allowed to finish out his rookie deal and walk. We should have been looking to replace him in the last year or two years of his rookie deal with a player like Alex Mack that can truly play OG/OC. Hell, Woody should have been used as a stop-gap and play at OC until we found someone new. That we've paid Dominic Raiola so much for so long is a huge pitfall of this organization.


I wouldn't call it a HUGE pitfall, but it is definitely something that they've overlooked. Personally, I think the biggest issue has been the numerous players they've drafted that haven't panned out at all. And I know multiple persons here will say 'well, Dom's been kept by multiple coaches', but in reality he was kept by only two management regimes. Millen took him, so Millen wasn't getting rid of him. Mayhew has chosen to concentrate on other areas and may undervalue the position. But the fact is, along the offensive line the center position is the second most important there is. Dom is intelligent, but in a physical game that can only carry a lineman so far.

Like I said before, more than passing over Peter Konz I think the really big mistake was passing on Stefan Wisniewski in 2011. We picked a criminal instead.

_________________
I will not put on blinders when it comes to our QBs performances.


July 31st, 2013, 8:57 pm
Profile
3rd Round Selection

Joined: October 19th, 2005, 1:24 pm
Posts: 1188
Location: Nottingham, England
Post Re: Killer's Korner
Interesting article on Titus Young: http://mmqb.si.com/2013/08/13/where-is-titus-young/


August 16th, 2013, 10:23 am
Profile
Rookie Player of the Year

Joined: October 13th, 2005, 9:03 am
Posts: 2321
Post Re: Killer's Korner
I think they dropped the ball taking Fairley, a one year wonder in college with a checkered off the field past, with bad feet (something big men struggle with once they do get injured) instead of Pouncey. Pouncey could have manned the G position and took over for Raiola. The O-line has been an issue for close to 15 years and with all the holes on defense taking another DT with their 1st round pick was poor team management.


August 21st, 2013, 6:05 pm
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: October 20th, 2004, 4:16 pm
Posts: 9940
Location: Where ever I'm at now
Post Re: Killer's Korner
sweetd20 wrote:
I think they dropped the ball taking Fairley, a one year wonder in college with a checkered off the field past, with bad feet (something big men struggle with once they do get injured) instead of Pouncey. Pouncey could have manned the G position and took over for Raiola. The O-line has been an issue for close to 15 years and with all the holes on defense taking another DT with their 1st round pick was poor team management.


I'd give it another season before I'd jump to that conclusion. Toward the end of last season Fairley was dominant. Pouncey was never considered to be a top five talent that year, but Fairley was thought by some to be a steal at the Lions pick. One can only wonder how much more he would have developed if not for the foot injury in his rookie year.

That said, the Lions have had numerous opportunities to get a good center prospect out of the draft the past three or so seasons. I"m sure they'll get more chances, but one can only wonder why they haven't taken that chance in recent memory.

_________________
I will not put on blinders when it comes to our QBs performances.


August 23rd, 2013, 12:02 am
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: January 26th, 2005, 9:34 pm
Posts: 10320
Location: Sycamore, IL
Post Re: Killer's Korner
Fairley was a beast towards the end of the year. It was well known he wasn't in great shape coming to camp and he was winded early in games early in the year. The last 6 games he had 4 sacks and 2 FF.

_________________
_____
I have no faith this team will win a game the rest of the year. The kitties finish at 7-9 and Miss the playoffs as GB wins out and takes it from the kitties.
Image


August 23rd, 2013, 6:56 pm
Profile
Rookie Player of the Year

Joined: October 13th, 2005, 9:03 am
Posts: 2321
Post Re: Killer's Korner
The point was DT wasn't a priority that year and Fairley wasn't a steal but a gamble. There was a reason NFL execs didn't think as highly of him as "draft gurus" and Pouncey wasn't taken top five but two spots after Fairley. There are at least two DTs every year while the 1st round C is a lot rarer. Also when Fairley's contract is up do you really think they will be able to afford him and Suh? Paying one DT more than $10 million per season is a mistake let alone two, while also having a $20 million a year WR (even if he is the greatest). Kerrigan was a guy I saw filling a bigger void at the DE position. It's in the past now so we will never know, but I do know that a long term winner and two high priced DTs aren't two things that go together in the same sentence.


August 23rd, 2013, 7:49 pm
Profile
NFL Veteran

Joined: November 28th, 2007, 12:50 pm
Posts: 1400
Location: Newport Beach, Ca
Post Re: Killer's Korner
Fairly still becomes an asset that a good GM could move to reload his position or another when the contract comes up.

No one likes Raiola on this board but every coaching staff does, so if your going by their evaluations I think they made the right decision given how awful the secondary was and how important the pass rush is to the wide nine.


August 24th, 2013, 8:38 am
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: October 20th, 2004, 4:16 pm
Posts: 9940
Location: Where ever I'm at now
Post Re: Killer's Korner
sweetd20 wrote:
The point was DT wasn't a priority that year and Fairley wasn't a steal but a gamble. There was a reason NFL execs didn't think as highly of him as "draft gurus" and Pouncey wasn't taken top five but two spots after Fairley. There are at least two DTs every year while the 1st round C is a lot rarer. Also when Fairley's contract is up do you really think they will be able to afford him and Suh? Paying one DT more than $10 million per season is a mistake let alone two, while also having a $20 million a year WR (even if he is the greatest). Kerrigan was a guy I saw filling a bigger void at the DE position. It's in the past now so we will never know, but I do know that a long term winner and two high priced DTs aren't two things that go together in the same sentence.


I agree that DT wasn't a priority, but talent is talent. Saying that they 'dropped the ball' is a bit premature, and that was my point. If he picks up his game this year yet again, then there's no way it can be considered to be a wasted pick. As for his contract, the Lions may not be able to afford him, but at least they can have a pick of whether to keep Suh or him. And if they want to pass on signing him, they can tag and trade him and at least get some pretty good return. Most people wanted either Prince Amukamara or Jimmy Smith for the Lions there anyways. Kerrigan was never a serious consideration. Pouncey, I feel, would have been the best pick as well. But still, I don't think the Lions exactly wasted the pick.

_________________
I will not put on blinders when it comes to our QBs performances.


August 24th, 2013, 7:44 pm
Profile
Team MVP
User avatar

Joined: February 20th, 2007, 10:51 pm
Posts: 3376
Location: Saginaw, MI
Post Re: Killer's Korner
Maybe im in the minority, but I think as long as Fairley stays healthy, hes gonna have a monster year. Not necessarily in the stats column (althought very possibly), but definitely in how he contributes. His quickness reminds me a little of Warren Sapp.

_________________
April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.


Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011


August 25th, 2013, 1:53 pm
Profile
QB Coach

Joined: January 13th, 2006, 4:18 am
Posts: 3235
Location: Maryland
Post Re: Killer's Korner
Didn't have a specific thread to post this. Watching the Lions game online so I don't know if it's the same announcers you guys have. But the sack Willie Young made on Thad Lewis was announced "great dip move by Corey Hilliard" and it just struck me funny.


August 29th, 2013, 8:13 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 618 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34 ... 42  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.