View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 25th, 2014, 9:55 pm



Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Bill Nagy released 
Author Message
Div 1 - Starter

Joined: December 13th, 2005, 2:09 pm
Posts: 530
Post Bill Nagy released
So much for him being a better center than Raiola. Guess he never got healthy.

_________________
If God isn't a Lions fan, then why is the sky Honolulu Blue?


July 25th, 2013, 9:25 pm
Profile
Heisman Winner
User avatar

Joined: December 18th, 2008, 9:18 am
Posts: 775
Location: Where I lay my head is home
Post Re: Bill Nagy released
Well..sh!t. I had high hopes of him unseating Raiola, now I can only hope Raiola's weight gain isn't just fat gain.


July 26th, 2013, 12:28 am
Profile
Post Re: Bill Nagy released
From another thread:

I wrote:
Quote:
hahahahaha

And I just keep laughing at the incompetence of it all, and you guys just keep saying "wjb, you don't know what's going on behind closed doors..."



It pisses me off that Nagy was used as a "prime" example of "Mayhew's genius," and the reason that we didn't draft Kontz over Broyles in the 2nd round last year. I said then that it was ridiculous to rely on a guy that's never been healthy to replace Dom and be our starting OC, I also said then that even after Dom's pay cut, he was still likely going to be our starting OC in 2013. I was laughed at once again, told I didn't know what I was talking about, and behold...

Mayhew isn't think genius that has us covered folks... He's a buffoon, and he's been exposed as a buffoon for some of us... The rest of you will come around soon.

He's not getting along with Schwartz (but I agree with Mayhew on some of what they're not getting along about.... Like strict adherence to the Wide 9), his personnel moves, including his drafting, have been horrendous, and his media relations are a joke. He literally can't field a question and he sounds like an idiot up there.... And again, as with Marinelli and that jackass ex SP coordinator, if they can't deliver a message to the media, how the hell can they deliver a message to the team?

Both of those clowns have to go, and the sooner the better.


July 26th, 2013, 1:16 am
Butkus Award Winner

Joined: July 3rd, 2012, 2:06 am
Posts: 655
Post Re: Bill Nagy released
wjb21ndtown wrote:
From another thread:

I wrote:
Quote:
hahahahaha

And I just keep laughing at the incompetence of it all, and you guys just keep saying "wjb, you don't know what's going on behind closed doors..."



It pisses me off that Nagy was used as a "prime" example of "Mayhew's genius," and the reason that we didn't draft Kontz over Broyles in the 2nd round last year. I said then that it was ridiculous to rely on a guy that's never been healthy to replace Dom and be our starting OC, I also said then that even after Dom's pay cut, he was still likely going to be our starting OC in 2013. I was laughed at once again, told I didn't know what I was talking about, and behold...

Mayhew isn't think genius that has us covered folks... He's a buffoon, and he's been exposed as a buffoon for some of us... The rest of you will come around soon.

He's not getting along with Schwartz (but I agree with Mayhew on some of what they're not getting along about.... Like strict adherence to the Wide 9), his personnel moves, including his drafting, have been horrendous, and his media relations are a joke. He literally can't field a question and he sounds like an idiot up there.... And again, as with Marinelli and that jackass ex SP coordinator, if they can't deliver a message to the media, how the hell can they deliver a message to the team?

Both of those clowns have to go, and the sooner the better.


LOL, this had me cracking up... you're a legend WJB... Admittedly, I was a big fan of this signing, but I had no idea his injuries were this serious. My initial thought was that he had a bad ankle sprain and would be back at 100% around right now, but like Delmas, it looks like that's not happening.

_________________
Image


July 26th, 2013, 2:20 am
Profile
Post Re: Bill Nagy released
Shotty wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
From another thread:

I wrote:
Quote:
hahahahaha

And I just keep laughing at the incompetence of it all, and you guys just keep saying "wjb, you don't know what's going on behind closed doors..."



It pisses me off that Nagy was used as a "prime" example of "Mayhew's genius," and the reason that we didn't draft Kontz over Broyles in the 2nd round last year. I said then that it was ridiculous to rely on a guy that's never been healthy to replace Dom and be our starting OC, I also said then that even after Dom's pay cut, he was still likely going to be our starting OC in 2013. I was laughed at once again, told I didn't know what I was talking about, and behold...

Mayhew isn't think genius that has us covered folks... He's a buffoon, and he's been exposed as a buffoon for some of us... The rest of you will come around soon.

He's not getting along with Schwartz (but I agree with Mayhew on some of what they're not getting along about.... Like strict adherence to the Wide 9), his personnel moves, including his drafting, have been horrendous, and his media relations are a joke. He literally can't field a question and he sounds like an idiot up there.... And again, as with Marinelli and that jackass ex SP coordinator, if they can't deliver a message to the media, how the hell can they deliver a message to the team?

Both of those clowns have to go, and the sooner the better.


LOL, this had me cracking up... you're a legend WJB... Admittedly, I was a big fan of this signing, but I had no idea his injuries were this serious. My initial thought was that he had a bad ankle sprain and would be back at 100% around right now, but like Delmas, it looks like that's not happening.



Schotty... I don't know how anyone could think anything other than he was injury prone. He had never stayed healthy for a complete season in his career, and Dallas let him go... Teams don't let all-star OCs leave, especially good, young ones, that are under reasonable contracts.

I don't claim to be some great prognosticator... What I do claim is... If you look at Mayhew and Schwartz with a degree of skepticism, you'll be right way, way more than you'll be wrong. I realized early on that they were buffoons, the rest of you guys are starting to come around. =)


July 26th, 2013, 3:23 am
Player of the Year - Defense

Joined: September 25th, 2007, 3:20 am
Posts: 2795
Post Re: Bill Nagy released
Dallas didn't let him go... if you recall, Dallas was upset that we claimed him on waivers. ANY player with under 4 years has to clear waivers before being placed on IR. Most teams respect draft picks and allow the process to complete, while Nagy was claimed. So the entire "let him go" notion is wrong.

No one claimed Mayhew was a genius for claiming an injured player. Many around the league called him a genius for claiming a player a team intended on sending to IR. It was a big picture move as opposed to a right now move. It was a chance, and we can see that the chance failed, but not many GMs make moves looking forward. That's what people were praising, not this specific player only.

Is he the greatest GM in the league? no. Is he a buffoon? no. Just because you disagree with him doesn't make him an idiot. If that were the case, that would make you an idiot since most disagreed with you, right? ;) And you're not an idiot.


July 26th, 2013, 9:50 am
Profile
NFL Veteran

Joined: November 28th, 2007, 12:50 pm
Posts: 1387
Location: Newport Beach, Ca
Post Re: Bill Nagy released
Technically the Lions stole Nagy from the Cowboys when they were trying to move him to IR during the off season last year and the Cowboys were very unhappy about it. It was a move with no risk and a chance for a nice reward if Nagy got over his injury problem. It's too bad Nagy couldn't recover, but it was a good try from Mayhew. If Nagy actually stopped them from drafting an OC, I would say Mayhew made a big mistake in his evaluation of Nagy, but the Lions brought in OC prospects both years since getting Nagy. I don't think Nagy stopped Mayhew from pulling the trigger on an OC, they just either missed on their guy or didn't like the prospects better than who they drafted.

The coaching staff was really high on Austin and he can play center, so they still have there developmental center along with another vet in Gandy. Also they signed Leroy Harris earlier this off season and I believe he can play OC.


July 26th, 2013, 9:59 am
Profile
3rd Round Selection

Joined: October 19th, 2005, 1:24 pm
Posts: 1166
Location: Nottingham, England
Post Re: Bill Nagy released
The criticism of Mayhew on this is solely predicated on the assumption he took Broyles over Konz because he had Nagy.

If that assumption is true, maybe he deserves some stick.

If that assumption isn't true, I don't see what harm having Nagy on our roster has done to the team and whilst it hasn't panned out I don't see how it's a move that confirms he's a buffoon.


July 26th, 2013, 11:53 am
Profile
NFL Veteran

Joined: November 28th, 2007, 12:50 pm
Posts: 1387
Location: Newport Beach, Ca
Post Re: Bill Nagy released
It also uses the assumption Konz is going to be a good center which has yet to be proven. Konz has so far only played OG and he wasn't particularly good at it. He's in a camp competition for the starting OC spot right now, but he isn't a lock or even a favorite to win the spot.


July 26th, 2013, 12:00 pm
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: August 6th, 2004, 9:21 am
Posts: 9494
Location: Dallas
Post Re: Bill Nagy released
I didn't have an issue with when the Lions claimed Nagy, thought it was well worth the risk (better than risking a draft pick). If he is one of those guys that can't get healthy, so be it. I also think the Lions will be heavy with OT and G backups (in addition to having a long snapper on the team), so this isn't that big of a deal.

WJB - your post always crack me up, thanks for the laugh (even if unintended).

_________________
Image
LB Tweet


July 26th, 2013, 4:57 pm
Profile WWW
5th Round Pick - Traded

Joined: October 24th, 2005, 6:23 am
Posts: 1032
Post Re: Bill Nagy released
My problem isn't that the Lions claimed and have since released Nagy. Up until this year Mayhew has ignored the center of the offensive line. Peterson was not playing that well when Mayhew signed him to an extention. Mayhew was sitting pretty, in position to draft a top rated guard/center and chose instead to draft a DT for the second year in a row.

Mayhew's personnel moves have been questionable from the start (see Jon Kitna to IR for Daunte Culpepper).


July 27th, 2013, 11:03 am
Profile
Post Re: Bill Nagy released
Jafo wrote:
My problem isn't that the Lions claimed and have since released Nagy. Up until this year Mayhew has ignored the center of the offensive line. Peterson was not playing that well when Mayhew signed him to an extention. Mayhew was sitting pretty, in position to draft a top rated guard/center and chose instead to draft a DT for the second year in a row.

Mayhew's personnel moves have been questionable from the start (see Jon Kitna to IR for Daunte Culpepper).


THAT'S THE ISSUE!

It's not that Nagy was claimed... That was a good move. The problem is that for the last 5 years we've ignored the OC position, ignored one OG position repeatedly (Demulling, Peterman, and whatever scrub we trotted out there was not placing emphasis on the OL, in fact, it was completely and total neglect)... We've known for years that Dom has sucked, has been the weak link on the OL, and that he's needed to be replaced to for that OL to succeed. What did the front office do? They gave him a damn extension!

Then all of YOU guys said that "wjb... you'll see... we were SMART to neglect the OC position once again, pass on Kontz, and Nagy is going to be the STARTER THIS YEAR." Then it doesn't come true and somehow I'm wrong for pointing out the incompetence of relying on a guy that has never been healthy for a complete NFL season to be our starting OC. BRILLIANT!!!

:arrow: :idea:

As much as I crack you guys up... You crack me up "even if unintended. I continue to be right, you continue to be wrong, and yet I'm the "hilarious one." That's great. :cheers:

Keep it up... :ppp:


And for the record... Dallas did give up on Nagy. They knew the consequences of putting him on IR prior to starting the season. They didn't feel like he was worth a spot on their 53 man roster, injured or not. We "play" with IR all the time. We put "uninjured" guys on IR, claim that someone is "scheduled to have surgery" even though they're not, etc., just to keep guys around. Dallas wasn't willing to do that with Nagy, and now we know why.


July 27th, 2013, 2:35 pm
NFL Veteran

Joined: November 28th, 2007, 12:50 pm
Posts: 1387
Location: Newport Beach, Ca
Post Re: Bill Nagy released
Dallas didn't give up on Nagy, they took a risk because it was considered to be in bad form to take another teams injured player through waivers like the Lions did. The whole reason anyone even talked about Nagy going to the Lions that off season was because Dallas made a big deal about how the Lions claimed him. What the Lions did is akin to a MMA fighter hitting another fighter when he he puts out his fist to touch gloves or when a player in baseball yells at a defensive player trying to catch a fly ball. Dallas knew their was a chance they would loose him, but they assumed no team would be so rude as to do it.

The Lions have also not ignored the OC position. Just because they didn't take a player or sign someone new doesn't mean they have ignored the spot. They have brought in prospects to evaluate most years, unfortunately they never felt one of the players was good enough to pull the trigger on before they were drafted by another team.


July 27th, 2013, 7:31 pm
Profile
5th Round Pick - Traded

Joined: October 24th, 2005, 6:23 am
Posts: 1032
Post Re: Bill Nagy released
wjb, I disagree that Raiola sucks. I'll agree he isn't a road grader that is going to push a DT out of the way on the goalline. However, a great deal of what happens around a center is as much about the guards next to him as his own play. Now, before you go off and point out it goes both ways I will stipulate that it does. It also works like that with the tackles and guards. It is why it is so important to get good players and good backups for the O-line.

I agree that the Lions have neglected the offensive line. Millen did it and tried to fill his holes with FA rather than drafting linemen. Mayhew has done the same thing. When he could have gotten a top C/G he instead decided to double down on DT's. This in spite of knowing Raiola isn't a big run blocker and is getting older while Peterman was not the answer at RG.

As for Nagy, he didn't cost a thing as far as a draft pick or anything, just salary cap space. Had he worked ou it would have been good, if not, so what? The problem I have is Mayhew has been trading away draft picks and/or position to double down on players for positions he has just used top picks on the year before which then pushes back the opportunity to pick players at a position of need. As a result we are picking up injured players off the waiver wire and relying on 4th,5th, and 6th round picks to start.

This year's draft was different. Makes me wonder just how much the new guy owned the draft as opposed to Mayhew making the calls.


July 28th, 2013, 8:32 pm
Profile
Post Re: Bill Nagy released
IMO Raiola is horrible, over-paid (still) and should have been replaced 4-5 years ago. The OL is only as strong as it's weakest link, and he is a huge weak link. There are only three or four centers in the ENTIRE LEAGUE that are under 300lbs, he's one of them, and he's been under 300 for his whole career.

He's mediocre at calling blitzes and he telegraphs his snaps with his stupid head bob.

I can't agree that Raiola is even decent at OC.


July 28th, 2013, 8:45 pm
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: sweetd20, Yahoo [Bot] and 10 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.