View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently August 1st, 2014, 6:00 am

Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Schwartz on the hot seat already? 
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

Post Re: Schwartz on the hot seat already?
regularjoe12 wrote:
DayDreamer wrote:
Remember, with Lovie comes Tampa-2. Still want him?

I'm with Schwartz, sure he gets emotional/stupid every now and then, but I still believe that he is a smart coach, and he will get himself and his team under control this season. Unless this season turns out to be a disaster, I don't see him getting canned anytime soon.

are you insinuating that Lovies Tampa 2 is worse than we have now?? :wink:

He wouldnt be my first choice, but yes, I'd stilll call him an upgrade.

Yup, that's what I'm saying. The last time we had tampa-2, we ended up with 0-16. With an improved secondary, I think the current defense can get the job done. I'm not saying its a top-5 or top-10 defense but it will be enough to not handicap the offense.

June 6th, 2013, 11:45 am
QB Coach

DayDreamer wrote:
regularjoe12 wrote:
DayDreamer wrote:

I'm with Schwartz, sure he gets emotional/stupid every now and then, but I still believe that he is a smart coach, and he will get himself and his team under control this season. Unless this season turns out to be a disaster, I don't see him getting canned anytime soon.

Yup, that's what I'm saying. The last time we had tampa-2, we ended up with 0-16. With an improved secondary, I think the current defense can get the job done. I'm not saying its a top-5 or top-10 defense but it will be enough to not handicap the offense.

No scheme is necessarily better or worse than another. If the players execute, any scheme can work.

You contention that the tampa 2 that Lovie runs doesn't work is absurd. The Bears had one of the better defenses in the league for a long time running that system. Hell, the reason the system become so prevalent is because it works. Teams don't just adopt something for the hell of it. They do it because they see it working.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson

June 6th, 2013, 12:14 pm
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

DayDreamer wrote:
regularjoe12 wrote:
DayDreamer wrote:

That D won TB their first SB, it also took the Bears to one not that long ago, and also helped Peyton get over the hump and get his ring.

so, long story short, while not perfect, it IS a scheme that can work, and has proven itself thoughout the league. and Lovie is one of THE best at running it. Marrinelli (capt 0-16 himself) not so much...

June 6th, 2013, 12:23 pm
Modmin Dude

MLive wrote:
Detroit Lions' Jim Schwartz at No. 21 in CBS Sports writer's coach rankings, may 'have to go'
Print By Josh Slagter | jslagter@mlive.com
on July 17, 2013 at 10:52 AM,
updated July 17, 2013 at 10:56 AM

Where's the defense?

That's one of the criticisms of Jim Schwartz's four-year tenure as the Detroit Lions coach, and certainly one of the reasons he's just 22-42.

And it's also one of the reason Schwartz checks in at No. 21 overall in the rankings of coaches by CBSSports.com Senior NFL columnist Pete Prisco.
Quote:
"He is 22-42 in his four seasons with the Lions, with just one winning season. That's not good enough. He is another one who coaches with swagger, but that sometimes spills over to the field. As a defensive mind, you would think his defenses would be better. There is talk of friction between Schwartz and general manager Martin Mayhew, which means one will likely have to go," Prisco wrote.

Schwartz is two spots ahead of Dallas coach Jason Garrett on the list, who hasn't brought the Cowboys to the playoffs yet in two-plus seasons.

Other than Garrett, Schwartz mostly only ranks ahead of first- or second-year coaches, like Philadelphia's Chip Kelly and Chicago's Marc Trestman.

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/20 ... tz_at.html
Not sure what peeps think of Prisco, but I think he's pretty much spot on about Jim. IMO he needs to prove himself this year or he could (should) be gone at year's end. Mayhew has given him the talent, now he has to do something with it.

July 22nd, 2013, 1:21 pm
Lovie sucks... He's one of very few coaches that I think would be a down grade over Schwartz. I can't stand Lovie, never liked him, never will. He looks lost, sounds lost, and doesn't coach a good game. IMO a lot like Mike Tomlin, whom I also can't stand.

July 24th, 2013, 1:34 am
5th Round Pick - Traded

I hate to see the Lions lose, but if Schwartz is canned I'd be willing to see it. i knew everything I needed to know about Schwartz when he stepped in front of a mic in Detroit and stated "A great quarteback can hide alot of holes."

This philosophy explains his record against winning teams. Good teams know those holes are there and exploit them. Hell, even bad teams know the holes are there, they just can't exploit them.

The handshake incident further underscored his place in my unfit to be a head coach dog house. He has a bunch of undisciplined players, is telling them they have to remain in control at all times and then he does that!

I don't really have a preference for anyone to replace him, but I'd love to see him replaced. Mayhew also, though with this last draft Mayhew seems to have learned something. However, one draft does not a turn-around make.

By the way, Marinelli wasn't nearly as bad as so many think. I blame Jr, Lewand, and Mayhew, in that order, for the 0-16 season. Jr, through Lewand, undermined Millen for too long. Not to mention that the moment Millen was fired the Front Office started to call the shots (Mayhew wanted Culpepper) while Marinelli and the staff were forced to make the best of the decisions by those 'who knew better'. Therein lies the problem that has beset the Lions for decades; the Management is not on the same page as 'production'. This is why I'd fire Lewand, Mayhew and Schwartz if the Lions stink it up.

July 27th, 2013, 10:53 am
Jafo wrote:
I hate to see the Lions lose, but if Schwartz is canned I'd be willing to see it. i knew everything I needed to know about Schwartz when he stepped in front of a mic in Detroit and stated "A great quarteback can hide alot of holes."

This philosophy explains his record against winning teams. Good teams know those holes are there and exploit them. Hell, even bad teams know the holes are there, they just can't exploit them.

The handshake incident further underscored his place in my unfit to be a head coach dog house. He has a bunch of undisciplined players, is telling them they have to remain in control at all times and then he does that!

I don't really have a preference for anyone to replace him, but I'd love to see him replaced. Mayhew also, though with this last draft Mayhew seems to have learned something. However, one draft does not a turn-around make.

By the way, Marinelli wasn't nearly as bad as so many think. I blame Jr, Lewand, and Mayhew, in that order, for the 0-16 season. Jr, through Lewand, undermined Millen for too long. Not to mention that the moment Millen was fired the Front Office started to call the shots (Mayhew wanted Culpepper) while Marinelli and the staff were forced to make the best of the decisions by those 'who knew better'. Therein lies the problem that has beset the Lions for decades; the Management is not on the same page as 'production'. This is why I'd fire Lewand, Mayhew and Schwartz if the Lions stink it up.

I didn't mind the "great quarterback" quote. It made me think that we were going to be more defensive minded, not concentrate on O talent outside of the OL and Calvin (which I think would be a smart move), and we were going to concentrate on having a great defense. What sealed the deal for me is when he was making excuses for his players thuggish behavior and starting this "we want to play with a chip on our shoulder crap," AND saying it in a way where he welcomed the penalties that came with it. Teams like Seattle, Baltimore, New York GIants, etc. play D with a "chip on their shoulder," but they do it in a disciplined fashion. IMO you can't win that way.

That was his second season, everyone jumped on me for pointing it out. Everyone told me what a good thing it was going to be, and everyone told me that it was "necessary" to win. Doesn't seem to have panned out for us, doesn't seem to be panning out for us (especially as malcontents roam the locker room, kick over gatorade containers and garbage cans on the sidelines, etc.), and doesn't seem as if it will pan out for us in the future. This team and this team's culture under Schwartz is broken. There is no way to replace it while he is at the helm. He needs to go for us to succeed, and the sooner the better.

July 27th, 2013, 2:42 pm
Reply to topic   [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2