View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 23rd, 2014, 2:49 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Suh extension? 
Butkus Award Winner

Post Suh extension?
Lots of buzz has been spreading about a Suh extension, and I think it's a great idea. I think he should be extended for $8.5-10 million a year, with an ENORMOUS first year salary. We have $4.9 million in space, and that's with Suh's $20 million cap hit. I'm not too educated about cap space, but would it be possible to do this? Sign him for, say, 5 years, $50 million, and pay him every penny of space we have remaining so he only costs $6-7 million for the remaining four years. Again, I know very little of the salary cap, so I don't know how much dead money/etc. would be involved, but is it possible to do something like this after all Mayhew's restructures?

July 29th, 2013, 3:05 pm
Post Re: Suh extension?
Shotty wrote:
Lots of buzz has been spreading about a Suh extension, and I think it's a great idea. I think he should be extended for $8.5-10 million a year, with an ENORMOUS first year salary. We have $4.9 million in space, and that's with Suh's $20 million cap hit. I'm not too educated about cap space, but would it be possible to do this? Sign him for, say, 5 years, $50 million, and pay him every penny of space we have remaining so he only costs $6-7 million for the remaining four years. Again, I know very little of the salary cap, so I don't know how much dead money/etc. would be involved, but is it possible to do something like this after all Mayhew's restructures?

IMO it's not a good idea. If you front-load too much of a player's contract, especially a player like Suh, you provide incentive for them to hold out with two years left on the deal and demand another, new, long-term high priced deal. You'll looking at $4.9 million as an incentive to do this, but we should take that money and try to sign a FA somewhere, maybe even a legit #2 WR.

July 29th, 2013, 3:58 pm
Butkus Award Winner

wjb21ndtown wrote:
Shotty wrote:

IMO it's not a good idea. If you front-load too much of a player's contract, especially a player like Suh, you provide incentive for them to hold out with two years left on the deal and demand another, new, long-term high priced deal. You'll looking at $4.9 million as an incentive to do this, but we should take that money and try to sign a FA somewhere, maybe even a legit #2 WR.

Good point. Main reason I want to front-load it is because Suh said in a recent interview that he's always open to talk about it, and he hasn't shown that bratty, diva side of most athletes. If you want a #2,Emmanuel Sanders is the only guy who doesn't have a significant injury history, has LOTS of speed, and is improving over time, and I think he'll demand more than $5 million a year after having a big season this year.

July 29th, 2013, 4:24 pm
Div 1 - Starter

The problem with resigning Suh is having so much money tied up at DT. Is DT a position where we want to invest a large amount of salary? I like having Suh on the team, but how much money should one of the top DT's be able to command? How much is a top DT really worth?

July 31st, 2013, 7:18 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]