View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 17th, 2014, 5:38 am



This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Rashean Mathis signs with Lions 
Author Message
Post Rashean Mathis signs with Lions
http://espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp13/s ... roit-lions

Quote:
Rashean Mathis signs with Lions

ALLEN PARK, Mich. -- The Detroit Lions signed outside linebacker Rocky McIntosh and cornerback Rashean Mathis on Saturday.

They were among four new defensive players participating in team practice for the first time Saturday, joined by defensive tackles Justin Bannan and John Drew.

McIntosh played six seasons for the Washington Redskins before starting nine games for the St. Louis Rams in 2012. Mathis, a 2006 Pro Bowl selection, played all 10 of his NFL seasons in Jacksonville and holds the Jaguars' franchise interception record with 30.

Bannan is an 11-year veteran who started 15 games for the Denver Broncos last season and Drew was an undrafted rookie free agent out of North Carolina Central. The team announced the signing of the two defensive tackles on Friday.

To make room on the 90-man roster, the Lions released cornerback Conroy Black, defensive end Braylon Broughton, linebacker Adrian Moten and safety Trevor Coston.


I don't get it. Why not an OC now that Nagy is gone? Why not an OG now that Warford isn't looking as good as we thought? Why not an LT in case Reiff craps the bed? Why a CB, when our CBs look to be in better shape than they have been in years? To me this is an indictment on Bently, and Greenwood, whom I never thought would amount to much, but you guys sure did.

Our management has to be of in the bottom 10% in the league. Pure garbage.


August 17th, 2013, 8:08 pm
League MVP

Joined: February 11th, 2005, 3:01 pm
Posts: 3620
Location: WSU
Post Re: Rashean Mathis signs with Lions
The Mcintosh signing is in response to awful play by the LB unit - namely Travis Lewis and Tahir Whitehead but also to some degree Ashlee Palmer. The Mathis signing has nothing to do with Bentley but Ron Bartell has been brutal and both Green and Greenwood who figure to play at some time havent been healthy. There needs to be a healthy veteran available and Bartell isnt proving to be good enough. Both signings make sense. They already brought in interior line candidates with Jake Scott and Leroy Harris and Im not sure there are starting LTs just walking the streets this time of the year.


August 17th, 2013, 10:06 pm
Profile
Player of the Year - Defense

Joined: September 25th, 2007, 3:20 am
Posts: 2767
Post Re: Rashean Mathis signs with Lions
Mathis worked out at Safety, so it's more an indictment on Spievey and the Safety depth. Greenwood is destined for PS with his inability to return from injury until last week. He's missed too much time to get up to speed, unless he wows in the final 2 preseason games.


August 17th, 2013, 11:28 pm
Profile
Post Re: Rashean Mathis signs with Lions
njroar wrote:
Mathis worked out at Safety, so it's more an indictment on Spievey and the Safety depth. Greenwood is destined for PS with his inability to return from injury until last week. He's missed too much time to get up to speed, unless he wows in the final 2 preseason games.


That makes more sense.


August 17th, 2013, 11:36 pm
NFL Veteran

Joined: November 28th, 2007, 12:50 pm
Posts: 1367
Location: Newport Beach, Ca
Post Re: Rashean Mathis signs with Lions
Signings like this are nice since they are always just short cheap deals. Once this coaching staff gets poop canned after the season it should help the new staff out by not having more terrible contracts to go along with the huge ones already on the books.

It also can't hurt to have a vet DB that was actually a top guy at his position in the past to work with all the young CBs on the team. He's even used to losing so he shouldn't be a locker room problem if/when the loses start stacking up.


August 18th, 2013, 12:53 am
Profile
Post Re: Rashean Mathis signs with Lions
rao wrote:
Signings like this are nice since they are always just short cheap deals. Once this coaching staff gets poop canned after the season it should help the new staff out by not having more terrible contracts to go along with the huge ones already on the books.

It also can't hurt to have a vet DB that was actually a top guy at his position in the past to work with all the young CBs on the team. He's even used to losing so he shouldn't be a locker room problem if/when the loses start stacking up.



I agree with that. It's looking more and more like the inevitable conclusion of the Schwartz tenure is going to end in a canning.


August 18th, 2013, 7:58 pm
Hall of Fame Player
User avatar

Joined: May 7th, 2005, 3:25 pm
Posts: 7354
Location: Earth/Sagittarius Dwarf Galaxy
Post Re: Rashean Mathis signs with Lions
wjb21ndtown wrote:
rao wrote:
Signings like this are nice since they are always just short cheap deals. Once this coaching staff gets poop canned after the season it should help the new staff out by not having more terrible contracts to go along with the huge ones already on the books.

It also can't hurt to have a vet DB that was actually a top guy at his position in the past to work with all the young CBs on the team. He's even used to losing so he shouldn't be a locker room problem if/when the loses start stacking up.



I agree with that. It's looking more and more like the inevitable conclusion of the Schwartz tenure is going to end in a canning.


You two are just so gosh darn cheery and positive about the season that is only 2 pre - season games old.

Neither Mayhew or Schwartz are going anywhere. If their seats are hot, they have not acted in any way like their seats are hot. Every suggestion you have made that they would do to save their jobs has been met with the opposite response than what you suggested would happen.
1. you said they would sign expensive free agents to long un-trade-able contracts. Didn't happen. They instead signed a few FA's to reasonable contracts.
2. you said they would trade a bunch of future draft picks to move up in the draft a couple of times. Didn't happen.
3. Heck, you even claimed that we were cap screwed so bad we couldn't buy a penny gumball. ( you didn't exactly say it that way but, that's what you wanted everyone to believe.) Mayhew managed the cap situation just fine without cutting 3/4 of the team.


August 19th, 2013, 7:46 pm
Profile
Post Re: Rashean Mathis signs with Lions
BillySims wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
rao wrote:
Signings like this are nice since they are always just short cheap deals. Once this coaching staff gets poop canned after the season it should help the new staff out by not having more terrible contracts to go along with the huge ones already on the books.

It also can't hurt to have a vet DB that was actually a top guy at his position in the past to work with all the young CBs on the team. He's even used to losing so he shouldn't be a locker room problem if/when the loses start stacking up.



I agree with that. It's looking more and more like the inevitable conclusion of the Schwartz tenure is going to end in a canning.


You two are just so gosh darn cheery and positive about the season that is only 2 pre - season games old.

Neither Mayhew or Schwartz are going anywhere. If their seats are hot, they have not acted in any way like their seats are hot. Every suggestion you have made that they would do to save their jobs has been met with the opposite response than what you suggested would happen.
1. you said they would sign expensive free agents to long un-trade-able contracts. Didn't happen. They instead signed a few FA's to reasonable contracts.
2. you said they would trade a bunch of future draft picks to move up in the draft a couple of times. Didn't happen.
3. Heck, you even claimed that we were cap screwed so bad we couldn't buy a penny gumball. ( you didn't exactly say it that way but, that's what you wanted everyone to believe.) Mayhew managed the cap situation just fine without cutting 3/4 of the team.



When did I say that we were going to sign expensive FAs to long-term contracts? We did over-pay Reggie Bush, and Louis Delmas, we stupidly let Justin Durant walk, and IMO we were dumb to extend Matt Stafford's contract for the price that they gave him, given the entirety of his body of work.

I never said that they WOULD trade a bunch of picks to move up, I said that they SHOULD move up and trade away a bunch of picks, and I WAS RIGHT. YOU GUYS said that Reiff was a quality LT, ready to play LT full time, and that I didn't know what I was talking about. Now, at this stage, it looks like you guys were completely wrong, and I was right that we NEEDED to trade up and get a true LT that was capable of starting this year.

We ARE cap screwed, we are so cap screwed that we can't field an entire team. Our secondary has one glaring hole, our LB corps has one glaring hole, our DL has one glaring hole, we still don't have a #2 WR, and our OL is in shambles. That IS being cap screwed. We're 5 starters away from being a complete team. That is cap screwed. YOU GUYS said that Ashlee Palmer or Whitehead were going to be great at LB and have near pro-bowl seasons. YOU GUYS said that Bently would be able to step up and be the #2 CB. YOU GUYS said that Nagy was going to start at OC. YOU GUYS said we were set at #2 WR. YOU GUYS said that we were set at FS/SS. None of those assertions look remotely true.

I bet we go 6-10 or so, and you're fooling yourself if you don't think that Schwarts and/or Mayhew are on the hotseat. Mayhew just wasted a 4th round draft pick getting Mike Thomas, only to borrow him for 6-10 games, have him suck, and cut him. Mayhew drafted horribly, horribly in 2011 and 2012, 2013 is yet to be seen, but outside of Slay and possibly Ansah, it's not looking good thus far. Schwartz and Mayhew don't see eye to eye, and that's been made public. They're not getting along and if Mayhew goes, there's a damn good chance that Schwartz is right behind him, and rightfully so.


August 19th, 2013, 10:02 pm
Hall of Fame Player
User avatar

Joined: May 7th, 2005, 3:25 pm
Posts: 7354
Location: Earth/Sagittarius Dwarf Galaxy
Post Re: Rashean Mathis signs with Lions
wjb21ndtown wrote:
BillySims wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
rao wrote:
Signings like this are nice since they are always just short cheap deals. Once this coaching staff gets poop canned after the season it should help the new staff out by not having more terrible contracts to go along with the huge ones already on the books.

It also can't hurt to have a vet DB that was actually a top guy at his position in the past to work with all the young CBs on the team. He's even used to losing so he shouldn't be a locker room problem if/when the loses start stacking up.



I agree with that. It's looking more and more like the inevitable conclusion of the Schwartz tenure is going to end in a canning.


You two are just so gosh darn cheery and positive about the season that is only 2 pre - season games old.

Neither Mayhew or Schwartz are going anywhere. If their seats are hot, they have not acted in any way like their seats are hot. Every suggestion you have made that they would do to save their jobs has been met with the opposite response than what you suggested would happen.
1. you said they would sign expensive free agents to long un-trade-able contracts. Didn't happen. They instead signed a few FA's to reasonable contracts.
2. you said they would trade a bunch of future draft picks to move up in the draft a couple of times. Didn't happen.
3. Heck, you even claimed that we were cap screwed so bad we couldn't buy a penny gumball. ( you didn't exactly say it that way but, that's what you wanted everyone to believe.) Mayhew managed the cap situation just fine without cutting 3/4 of the team.



When did I say that we were going to sign expensive FAs to long-term contracts? We did over-pay Reggie Bush, and Louis Delmas, we stupidly let Justin Durant walk, and IMO we were dumb to extend Matt Stafford's contract for the price that they gave him, given the entirety of his body of work.

I never said that they WOULD trade a bunch of picks to move up, I said that they SHOULD move up and trade away a bunch of picks, and I WAS RIGHT. YOU GUYS said that Reiff was a quality LT, ready to play LT full time, and that I didn't know what I was talking about. Now, at this stage, it looks like you guys were completely wrong, and I was right that we NEEDED to trade up and get a true LT that was capable of starting this year.

We ARE cap screwed, we are so cap screwed that we can't field an entire team. Our secondary has one glaring hole, our LB corps has one glaring hole, our DL has one glaring hole, we still don't have a #2 WR, and our OL is in shambles. That IS being cap screwed. We're 5 starters away from being a complete team. That is cap screwed. YOU GUYS said that Ashlee Palmer or Whitehead were going to be great at LB and have near pro-bowl seasons. YOU GUYS said that Bently would be able to step up and be the #2 CB. YOU GUYS said that Nagy was going to start at OC. YOU GUYS said we were set at #2 WR. YOU GUYS said that we were set at FS/SS. None of those assertions look remotely true.

I bet we go 6-10 or so, and you're fooling yourself if you don't think that Schwarts and/or Mayhew are on the hotseat. Mayhew just wasted a 4th round draft pick getting Mike Thomas, only to borrow him for 6-10 games, have him suck, and cut him. Mayhew drafted horribly, horribly in 2011 and 2012, 2013 is yet to be seen, but outside of Slay and possibly Ansah, it's not looking good thus far. Schwartz and Mayhew don't see eye to eye, and that's been made public. They're not getting along and if Mayhew goes, there's a damn good chance that Schwartz is right behind him, and rightfully so.


First of all, it was a 5th round pick for Thomas. And as far as every single 1 of the YOU GUYS claims, I was not one of those guys. Look at my sig for crying out loud. I was alright with Reif at RT not LT. And I have been on the draft a shut down CB in the 1st round for the last decade. Never, not 1 time did I ever make any claim about Nagy. And I have been beating the drums that our LBers stink for a couple of years. As far as the holes, every team has holes. Being 5 players away from a complete team puts us in the top 10 teams in the league.

And, yes you did suggest that they, Mayhew and Schwartz, would do all of those things I said earlier to try to save their jobs. And I don't believe we over paid Bush or Stafford at all. We got market rate for Bush and we got a stinking bargain in the Stafford extension. It came in far under expectations considering 10K yards passing in 2 years. He could have gotten Tony Romo money. His production merited Tony Romo money. I am thrilled with his contract. And guess what? He is entering his prove it year. It is now time for him to step up and lead the team to playoff wins. If he fails, we can cut him in a couple years and walk away. And then draft a rookie for far less money.


August 19th, 2013, 11:04 pm
Profile
Post Re: Rashean Mathis signs with Lions
BillySims wrote:
First of all, it was a 5th round pick for Thomas. And as far as every single 1 of the YOU GUYS claims, I was not one of those guys. Look at my sig for crying out loud. I was alright with Reif at RT not LT. And I have been on the draft a shut down CB in the 1st round for the last decade. Never, not 1 time did I ever make any claim about Nagy. And I have been beating the drums that our LBers stink for a couple of years. As far as the holes, every team has holes. Being 5 players away from a complete team puts us in the top 10 teams in the league.

And, yes you did suggest that they, Mayhew and Schwartz, would do all of those things I said earlier to try to save their jobs. And I don't believe we over paid Bush or Stafford at all. We got market rate for Bush and we got a stinking bargain in the Stafford extension. It came in far under expectations considering 10K yards passing in 2 years. He could have gotten Tony Romo money. His production merited Tony Romo money. I am thrilled with his contract. And guess what? He is entering his prove it year. It is now time for him to step up and lead the team to playoff wins. If he fails, we can cut him in a couple years and walk away. And then draft a rookie for far less money.


No one can say for sure, but it seems like we wanted to work out a more cap friendly deal for Stafford this year, which would have handicapped us later, the same is true for Suh, we were at least "working" on that sort of deal. We didn't pay market rate for Bush, we were the highest bidder by $1M per year, his 2nd highest offer was a full $1 mill less than what we gave him, and the "bargain" for Stafford is yet to be seen. If he is still an inconsistent, inaccurate passer, and if he has major injuries over the next few years, it's a gross over-payment. If he gets better, it will be current market rate, which will likely be slightly sub-market rate during those years. We paid him market rate star caliber Qb money now, to HOPEFULLY get that performance out of him later. He's currently not worth his contract, we're hoping his game improves the point he is. If Stafford is still the player he currently is in 2-3 years, this team will still be garbage. He has huge deficiencies in his game that need to be corrected. He has a ton of potential, but it is yet to be seen if he'll ever realize that potential.

You can claim that you weren't one of the collective "yous" if you want to, and maybe you weren't, but that was the "board consensus." At the very least you still endorse Mayhew and Schwartz, and given the state of the team, I don't know how anyone can. You can say that every team has holes, but no team has holes like we have. No team is starting an OL that is in shambles like us (three new positions, one rookie, one quasi-rookie (Reiff, hasn't played LT), and one washed up vet). We literally have ONE good OLman in Sims. IMO whomever we have starting at SSLB wouldn't start on any other team in the league, and our other two LBs aren't exactly Pro-bowlers. Our defensive backfield has two solid players, out of 4, and an injury prone starter. If you look at the state of the personnel on this team, it's tough to be optimistic about this year, and Mayhew has had plenty of time to "right the ship."

What's worse than all of that is the players that we do have aren't playing with discipline, and they aren't playing as a collective unit. That's a direct indictment on Schwartz.


August 20th, 2013, 1:13 am
3rd Round Selection

Joined: October 19th, 2005, 1:24 pm
Posts: 1143
Location: Nottingham, England
Post Re: Rashean Mathis signs with Lions
wjb21ndtown wrote:
YOU GUYS said that Ashlee Palmer or Whitehead were going to be great at LB and have near pro-bowl seasons. YOU GUYS said that Bently would be able to step up and be the #2 CB. YOU GUYS said that Nagy was going to start at OC. YOU GUYS said we were set at #2 WR. YOU GUYS said that we were set at FS/SS. None of those assertions look remotely true.

wjb against the world ... That's one heck of a chip on your shoulder! :lol:

For what it's worth, I don't recall saying any of those things.


August 20th, 2013, 7:51 am
Profile
NFL Veteran

Joined: November 28th, 2007, 12:50 pm
Posts: 1367
Location: Newport Beach, Ca
Post Re: Rashean Mathis signs with Lions
I'm not as doom and gloom about the team as WJB. I still think this team could workout their kinks before the season starts, but all of WJBs complaints are valid and it has always been hard to trust this staff to make any improvements with their players.


August 20th, 2013, 7:55 am
Profile
Post Re: Rashean Mathis signs with Lions
UK Lion wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
YOU GUYS said that Ashlee Palmer or Whitehead were going to be great at LB and have near pro-bowl seasons. YOU GUYS said that Bently would be able to step up and be the #2 CB. YOU GUYS said that Nagy was going to start at OC. YOU GUYS said we were set at #2 WR. YOU GUYS said that we were set at FS/SS. None of those assertions look remotely true.

wjb against the world ... That's one heck of a chip on your shoulder! :lol:

For what it's worth, I don't recall saying any of those things.


It's not a chip... The fact of the matter is 90% of the board disagrees with my view of the team, the state of the management, and where we're headed. Legend primarily, and in part M2 and RAO are the only board members that ever support my assertions for the team.

Again, you may not have said any of those things. It was a slow time for posting, a slow time for football, and not many people chimed in on the subject. That said, the board consensus was, in multiple threads, that the OL was fine Reiff was going to lock down the LT spot, Nagy was going to be our OC and improve the interior of the OL, Sims was going to be SIms, and Hilliard/Fox/whomever could adequately hold down the LG/RT spots and improve the OL, and we may possibly add an OG for depth or to compete.

The only assertion therein that came true was the addition of the OG, and the whole pile of them seem to be struggling.


August 20th, 2013, 11:30 am
3rd Round Selection

Joined: October 19th, 2005, 1:24 pm
Posts: 1143
Location: Nottingham, England
Post Re: Rashean Mathis signs with Lions
wjb21ndtown wrote:
The fact of the matter is 90% of the board disagrees with my view of the team, the state of the management, and where we're headed.

I really don't think that is a fact, hence the chip comment.

It may have been closer to true a year ago, when we were coming off a playoff season and for the first time in a long time Lions fans had some optimism. It's less true now, that's for sure.

You're going to struggle to get people to openly agree with you whilst you keep hitting the "I told you so" line, though. That's why you're getting less disagreement now than before, but little extra support.

Just let it go. No one here's a GM. I can't be bothered searching through people's posts from the past to find out who was right and who was wrong. This isn't a scoreboard, it's (supposed to be) a discussion board. And discussion is a heck of a lot easier to flow when there isn't a "ha, you got that wrong/I got it right" culture going on.


August 20th, 2013, 12:48 pm
Profile
Post Re: Rashean Mathis signs with Lions
UK Lion wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
The fact of the matter is 90% of the board disagrees with my view of the team, the state of the management, and where we're headed.

I really don't think that is a fact, hence the chip comment.

It may have been closer to true a year ago, when we were coming off a playoff season and for the first time in a long time Lions fans had some optimism. It's less true now, that's for sure.

You're going to struggle to get people to openly agree with you whilst you keep hitting the "I told you so" line, though. That's why you're getting less disagreement now than before, but little extra support.

Just let it go. No one here's a GM. I can't be bothered searching through people's posts from the past to find out who was right and who was wrong. This isn't a scoreboard, it's (supposed to be) a discussion board. And discussion is a heck of a lot easier to flow when there isn't a "ha, you got that wrong/I got it right" culture going on.


It's just annoying when I spoke of these problems both before and after the "playoff season" (the season in which we didn't beat a team over .500), and I watched people on here talk about how "great" we were, as we sat on our hands through perhaps the most important off-season in team history, did nothing, and then ultimately fell apart due to blunder after blunder of Martin Mayhew, as everyone on here was championing his every move and calling me crazy, only to see the majority of what I said come true.

I was open to "discussing" these things then, but everyone would cut me short and say "you're crazy," or "you're just being negative." I'm not negative about the Lions, I love the team. I'm negative about the things they do and continue doing. Why? Because they don't work.

We largely have the same problems we had under Bobby Ross for Christ's sake... Crappy OL, spotty WR talent, lack of depth, no true running game, bad secondary, "meh" linebackers, and an OK DL... That's been our MO for over a decade, and people wonder why nothing has changed, and they criticize the poster for believing things are the same as they were then... I've been saying "fix the OL" since my arrival to this site 7 years ago, and prior to that for 5 years on the "main" site and another forum.


August 20th, 2013, 1:07 pm
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: DayDreamer, Yahoo [Bot] and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.