View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 17th, 2014, 11:47 am



Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Was Not Signing Darrius Heyward-Bey a Mistake? 
Author Message
Red Shirt Freshman
User avatar

Joined: April 8th, 2010, 3:24 pm
Posts: 465
Post Was Not Signing Darrius Heyward-Bey a Mistake?
It looks like the Lions do not have a legitimate #2 wide receiver. (Do they even have a legitimate #3 wide receiver?) Was failing to offer Darrius Heyward-Bey a little more money than Indianapolis a mistake?


August 19th, 2013, 4:13 am
Profile
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)
User avatar

Joined: August 24th, 2010, 9:54 pm
Posts: 2218
Post Re: Was Not Signing Darrius Heyward-Bey a Mistake?
Growler wrote:
It looks like the Lions do not have a legitimate #2 wide receiver. (Do they even have a legitimate #3 wide receiver?) Was failing to offer Darrius Heyward-Bey a little more money than Indianapolis a mistake?


If you like Pettigrew style drops, then yes. :lol:

In all seriousness, they do desperately need a #2 receiver (always have, really), but I don't thing DHB was the answer.

_________________
Driver of the Jim Caldwell bandwagon. Climb aboard.


August 19th, 2013, 7:34 am
Profile
Online
1st Round Pick

Joined: November 28th, 2007, 12:50 pm
Posts: 1228
Location: Newport Beach, Ca
Post Re: Was Not Signing Darrius Heyward-Bey a Mistake?
DHB has had a ton of drops in Colts camp and probably wont even be their #2 since TY Hilton is out performing him. I was all for the Lions going after him, but he was never a sure thing to help this team. His midget hands will always stop him from being a consistent receiver.

The Lions made their offer and didn't overpay to try to get him here, so I think they did the right thing by not getting into a bidding war with the Colts.


August 19th, 2013, 7:43 am
Profile
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)
User avatar

Joined: August 24th, 2010, 9:54 pm
Posts: 2218
Post Re: Was Not Signing Darrius Heyward-Bey a Mistake?
Mohamed Massaquoi released by Jaguars. That's one former Jag I wouldn't mind signing.

_________________
Driver of the Jim Caldwell bandwagon. Climb aboard.


August 19th, 2013, 3:17 pm
Profile
QB Coach

Joined: January 13th, 2006, 4:18 am
Posts: 3123
Location: Maryland
Post Re: Was Not Signing Darrius Heyward-Bey a Mistake?
thelomasbrowns wrote:
Mohamed Massaquoi released by Jaguars. That's one former Jag I wouldn't mind signing.


I had wanted us to bring him in during this free agency period, but if he can't even last the off season on the Jags then there's something wrong there.


August 19th, 2013, 9:16 pm
Profile
Post Re: Was Not Signing Darrius Heyward-Bey a Mistake?
inheritedlionsfan wrote:
thelomasbrowns wrote:
Mohamed Massaquoi released by Jaguars. That's one former Jag I wouldn't mind signing.


I had wanted us to bring him in during this free agency period, but if he can't even last the off season on the Jags then there's something wrong there.


Depends why he "couldn't last"... Did he ask for a release? Was he playing poorly? Why did they cut him?

It's hard to "shine" on an organization that is as discombobulated as they are. Their team is possibly the only team worse off than ours.


I would look at Massoquoi, and I wouldn't have minded having Hayward-Bey here. We need a big bodied guy with speed to take pressure off of CJ. We have needed that for at least the last three seasons, and not having that has been the second biggest blunder of Mayhew's tenure (not fixing the OL was his first). We've passed time and time again on that player, for seemingly no good reason. It's ridiculous.


August 19th, 2013, 10:04 pm
Online
1st Round Pick

Joined: November 28th, 2007, 12:50 pm
Posts: 1228
Location: Newport Beach, Ca
Post Re: Was Not Signing Darrius Heyward-Bey a Mistake?
wjb21ndtown wrote:
inheritedlionsfan wrote:
thelomasbrowns wrote:
Mohamed Massaquoi released by Jaguars. That's one former Jag I wouldn't mind signing.


I had wanted us to bring him in during this free agency period, but if he can't even last the off season on the Jags then there's something wrong there.


Depends why he "couldn't last"... Did he ask for a release? Was he playing poorly? Why did they cut him?

It's hard to "shine" on an organization that is as discombobulated as they are. Their team is possibly the only team worse off than ours.


I would look at Massoquoi, and I wouldn't have minded having Hayward-Bey here. We need a big bodied guy with speed to take pressure off of CJ. We have needed that for at least the last three seasons, and not having that has been the second biggest blunder of Mayhew's tenure (not fixing the OL was his first). We've passed time and time again on that player, for seemingly no good reason. It's ridiculous.


I agree on what they need at the WR2 spot, but Massaquoi only fits half of what they need. The guy is big and slow. He is able to get open with his route running/technique, but he isn't going to scare a defense enough to pull pressure from CJ.


August 19th, 2013, 11:20 pm
Profile
Post Re: Was Not Signing Darrius Heyward-Bey a Mistake?
rao wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
inheritedlionsfan wrote:
thelomasbrowns wrote:
Mohamed Massaquoi released by Jaguars. That's one former Jag I wouldn't mind signing.


I had wanted us to bring him in during this free agency period, but if he can't even last the off season on the Jags then there's something wrong there.


Depends why he "couldn't last"... Did he ask for a release? Was he playing poorly? Why did they cut him?

It's hard to "shine" on an organization that is as discombobulated as they are. Their team is possibly the only team worse off than ours.


I would look at Massoquoi, and I wouldn't have minded having Hayward-Bey here. We need a big bodied guy with speed to take pressure off of CJ. We have needed that for at least the last three seasons, and not having that has been the second biggest blunder of Mayhew's tenure (not fixing the OL was his first). We've passed time and time again on that player, for seemingly no good reason. It's ridiculous.


I agree on what they need at the WR2 spot, but Massaquoi only fits half of what they need. The guy is big and slow. He is able to get open with his route running/technique, but he isn't going to scare a defense enough to pull pressure from CJ.


I don't think he's a long-term solution, but, IMO he's better than what we got...

Everyone knows that I wanted Manningham prior to him going to SF. I don't think Mario is that great of a WR, but IMO he's exactly what we need. He's big, fast, and his inconsistency causes him to be somewhat cheap. I don't mind big play deep drops out of a #2 WR. Why? Because they scare the crap out of the opposing D, they force the D to be "honest," and they do roll coverage over that way when they happen. If we had a big, fast, #2 he would get a ton of opportunities, and the opposition won't be able to focus solely on CJ, like they do now. And again, we have no offense without CJ, it's not prudent to be so dependent on one player.


August 20th, 2013, 1:20 am
Online
1st Round Pick

Joined: November 28th, 2007, 12:50 pm
Posts: 1228
Location: Newport Beach, Ca
Post Re: Was Not Signing Darrius Heyward-Bey a Mistake?
wjb21ndtown wrote:
I don't think he's a long-term solution, but, IMO he's better than what we got...

Everyone knows that I wanted Manningham prior to him going to SF. I don't think Mario is that great of a WR, but IMO he's exactly what we need. He's big, fast, and his inconsistency causes him to be somewhat cheap. I don't mind big play deep drops out of a #2 WR. Why? Because they scare the crap out of the opposing D, they force the D to be "honest," and they do roll coverage over that way when they happen. If we had a big, fast, #2 he would get a ton of opportunities, and the opposition won't be able to focus solely on CJ, like they do now. And again, we have no offense without CJ, it's not prudent to be so dependent on one player.


Personally I would like to see them just shoe horn Chaz Schilens into the WR2 spot. He's not a good WR, but he's big and has the top gear to get over top of the defense. He could just continuously run streak and post routes. The Lions play so many 3WR sets and with Bush able to split out wide, they can easily avoid using him for any kind of short or crossing routes.


August 20th, 2013, 7:35 am
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: January 26th, 2005, 9:34 pm
Posts: 10270
Location: Sycamore, IL
Post Re: Was Not Signing Darrius Heyward-Bey a Mistake?
All reports out of colts camp are exactly what you saw from DHB in Oakland, inconsistent. The guy makes a great play and follows it up by getting blown up at the line or dropping a wide open ball. He will most likely lose out the #2 spot to TY Hilton

_________________
_____
I have no faith this team will win a game the rest of the year. The kitties finish at 7-9 and Miss the playoffs as GB wins out and takes it from the kitties.
Image


August 20th, 2013, 7:33 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ] 

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.