View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 22nd, 2014, 4:02 am

Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Lions vs Patriots 
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Post Lions vs Patriots
Just got home with 3m left in 1st half. Any Input on the game so far? Just watched another 3 and out which looks bad, but it does seem there was some passing yardage , primarily to bush.

August 22nd, 2013, 8:55 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Team MVP

Post Re: Lions vs Patriots
IMO:

Bush looks fantastic.
Reiff has been gotten the best of a couple times....overall not bad.
Warford got eaten alive by Tommy Kelly earlier.
D-line looks top notch. Very impressed by Fairley.
I hope the check downs to Bush are part of the plan and not just the easy way out for Stafford, or that our other guys cant get separation.

Like always, Lions continue with the stupid personal fouls.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

August 22nd, 2013, 9:10 pm
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

Jones was owning the rt of the patriots. He looked great tonight.
I agree that bush looked pretty special, making guys miss.
Sadly he needed to, just to get a yard. the tackles looked unimpresive, and the interior (for the third week in a row) looks horrid.
Boo on Edwards, why aren't we seeing more Willis, IMO he's earned more playtime than I see him getting.
Staff looked unimpresive, but not horrid.

August 22nd, 2013, 9:18 pm
Player of the Year - Defense

The first personal foul was on Fairley for clearing someone out after the fumble recovery. The second was the same but on Mosley. 3rd personal foul was on Willie Young on a completely unnecessary taunting penalty.

Jason Jones was a beast. It was all due to the inside pressure, but against the run and pass it's good that he's able to make the stops. Ansah the same. Looking strong in the run game, they're getting pressure but not getting the QB down, except for Jones one sack. They rushed Brady into his interception, and two fumbles by the backs, and Quin forced the first fumble by TE.

Warford is getting beat, but I like that they let him stay in there and learn by experiencing it. There's only so much you can see on the practice field. Get some tape and learn. How he improves or regresses next week will show more.

Slay got beat deep on the first pass, but has played well since then. Bentley forced one of the fumbles and got the start at nickle, with Mathis not coming in until late in the 2nd. Delmas even played 2 series and recovered a fumble. Defense looked solid.

Offense is showing that it needs to design plays to get receivers besides CJ open. Broyles was held out and he's really the only one that can create separation. Sheffler missed three balls and got an offensive pass interference called besides his one TD. I wouldn't be surprised if they were auditioning him for a trade to NE since they're searching the wires for one now.

Bush was worth every penny. It'll be interesting to see how defenses prepare for CJ and Bush. Others will get open by default there. Pett just needs to hold onto the ball and he could have a big year.

Martin hitting the coffin corner was a beautiful thing to see. Definitely made up for last week. Special teams overall is much better than last year.

August 22nd, 2013, 9:23 pm
Rookie Player of the Year

If Broyles can come back and stay healthy he should have a big year moving the chains along with Pettigrew (if he can focus). With CJ drawing double and triple teams on occasion as well as Bush pulling LBs and Ss out of the middle of the field. I just can't understand why the coaching staff can't get these guys running more consistent routes to get seperation? CJ has improved but besides Broyles they roll into their cuts instead of making them sharp and round out of the breaks giving the defense room to close on the play.

August 22nd, 2013, 9:36 pm

Broyles is playing in the 2nd half with the 2nd team. I think they wanted to see how Edwards would react with the ones and let Broyles get some run without stiff competition to keep his legs fresh.

As for the routes, that's not where separation is created. With no CJ, the defense was playing press. The separation is created with the first two steps, not the route. If you can't break the press, no QB is gonna have time to wait for you to get open. Broyles is gifted in that respect, Willis seems to be able to do it now and then... Edwards, not so much. He needs more time which isn't always an option. Linehan needs to draw up more crosses to screen the db's to force them off press. This could all also be effected once CJ is on the field since they have to shift around, but the WR's haven't shown the ability to get open yet.

August 22nd, 2013, 9:50 pm
RIP Killer

In all fairness, what WR in the past 5 years was able to get open regularly outside of CJ? Pretty sad that Mike Furrey is the last WR to gain regular separation due to good routes and good timing. There's no chemistry with stafford, no regularity.CJ makes it look like chemistry and orchestrated because he's F'ing superman

August 22nd, 2013, 10:28 pm
RIP Killer

Fauria looked good, and could be a potential replacement for Scheffler. I think he should be the third TE this season, and the Lions should put Michael Williams on PS.

Joique Bell continues to make a case for himself. In my opinion, he is a much more reliable back than Mikel LeShoure. Bell runs with more authority and has much, much better vision. I think the coaching staff simply continues to have LeShoure as the primary back up due to his contract and not his ability.

The starting offensive line did a good job, but there was still some areas of concern. The Patriots didn't really play a strong game up front, and almost seemed to allow themselves to be pushed around.

D-line looked fantastic. Willie Young's penalty was a dumb one, and Schwartz smartly benched him after that. Our linebackers did OK, but I'm not overly impressed.

Secondary - continues to be a HUGE area of concern. I was not impressed, at all. Jonte Green continues to be a joke of a corner. He sucked last season and seems to have gotten worse. Chris Greenwood isn't the answer either. Both should just be cut. Rashean Mathis should definitely make this team as a swing player. I am not a big fan of Bartell, but I'll take him over Green and Greenwood right now. Spievey just needs to flat out be cut. He's horrible.

Lastly, receivers. Nobody is really stepping up. Even the announcers noticed the inability of the receivers to get separation, other than Broyles. The Lions have to keep an eye out for another receiver. Burleson isn't the answer as the #2 either. They need a speed receiver with some decent size. Corey Fuller has good speed, but he hasn't shown anything.

As for QB.... :-s

August 23rd, 2013, 12:27 am
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

does stafford have the worst pocket presence in the NFL?

August 23rd, 2013, 12:32 am
RIP Killer

Killwill25 wrote:
does stafford have the worst pocket presence in the NFL?

No...but he's certainly not close to being elite unless he improves it.

August 23rd, 2013, 8:11 am
Div 1 - Starter

m2karateman wrote:
Fauria looked good, and could be a potential replacement for Scheffler. I think he should be the third TE this season, and the Lions should put Michael Williams on PS.

He'll never make it. Big, road-grader TE with a Championship pedigree and a great work ethic? He'll get snapped up in two seconds.

August 23rd, 2013, 12:24 pm

I think it's more likely we keep Pettigrew, Fauria and Williams than we keep 4. 3 snaps last week, then 3 drops and OPI this week aren't looking good for Sheff.

August 23rd, 2013, 1:26 pm
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

njroar wrote:
I think it's more likely we keep Pettigrew, Fauria and Williams than we keep 4. 3 snaps last week, then 3 drops and OPI this week aren't looking good for Sheff.

which is really disapointing. Up to this point he was significantly more dependable in the passing game than Pett. At the start of camp I was really hoping he would usurp Pett as the #1 TE.

August 23rd, 2013, 1:31 pm
League MVP

Quote:

I think Scheffler has declined over his time with the Lions and Fauria did look good. I have a hard time seeing the front office pull the trigger on this but maybe there is something more to this like Kevin Siefert alluded to. Fauria got open and made some catches but still he s not a good blocker and doesnt seem to have Scheffler's speed to line up as a 3rd/4th wideout. I would go with Scheffler mostly bc I havent seen a lot from the wideout crew that was brought in and it would be asking a lot of an undrafted rookie but your point of having Fauria 3rd behind Pettigrew and Scheffler is intriguing. Linehan likes bringing in an extra blocker a lot and Williams fits that mold even if he is a dime a dozen player.

Quote:
Joique Bell continues to make a case for himself. In my opinion, he is a much more reliable back than Mikel LeShoure. Bell runs with more authority and has much, much better vision. I think the coaching staff simply continues to have LeShoure as the primary back up due to his contract and not his ability.

I agree completely. I havent seen anything impressive from LeShoure since his college days. Further the second OL unit was flat out dominant and still not a lot from LeShoure. Id like to see more of Bush split out with Bell in the game in the backfield. Bush brings skill and seems to run with more power than I thought but he cant get some of the tough yards inside that Bell can. Both are also good receivers and overall more of a threat than anyone further down the receiver depth chart.

Quote:
The starting offensive line did a good job, but there was still some areas of concern. The Patriots didn't really play a strong game up front, and almost seemed to allow themselves to be pushed around.

I didnt think the OL did a good job. The right side was worrisome. Riley Reiff did okay. The 2nd OL unit was awesome. I think the Lions are making a big mistake if they push Warford to the top of the depth chart ahead of Jake Scott. Fox seemed to be ahead of Hilliard last week but they played against different level of competition this week. I think Waddle will overtake both of them within the next year.

Quote:
D-line looked fantastic. Willie Young's penalty was a dumb one, and Schwartz smartly benched him after that. Our linebackers did OK, but I'm not overly impressed.

Starting DL was outstanding. 2nd unit I thought was disappointing. CJ Mosley doesnt look like much of a keeper to me. Justin Bannan as a grizzled veteran stood out dominating the Pats 2nd unit. I thought Devin Taylor and Ronnel Lewis were just okay but not really making plays. IMO its time to cut ties with Willie Young, you cant keep 6 DEs and Taylor and Lewis both seem to be worth keeping. Idonije can still play. 4 years is pretty good from a 7th rounder plus Young willl latch on somewhere else for a while.

Quote:
Secondary - continues to be a HUGE area of concern. I was not impressed, at all. Jonte Green continues to be a joke of a corner. He sucked last season and seems to have gotten worse. Chris Greenwood isn't the answer either. Both should just be cut. Rashean Mathis should definitely make this team as a swing player. I am not a big fan of Bartell, but I'll take him over Green and Greenwood right now. Spievey just needs to flat out be cut. He's horrible.

I agree they were getting carved up by Kentrell who? Slay and Houston will start, Slay will take some lumps hopefully get better. Bentley and Mathis are fighting for that nickle role, neither were very good yesterday but Mathis has only been in camp a few days so probably not a great assessment. Green, Greenwood, Menzie, Bartell, Johnson - fighting for 1 or 2 spots it ll be interesting to see if the Lions get by with there young guys or go with veterans. Spievey will be cut. Any word on the Quinn injury? Delmas looked fast fluid aggressive and healthy, we ll see if he can keep it up.

Quote:
Lastly, receivers. Nobody is really stepping up. Even the announcers noticed the inability of the receivers to get separation, other than Broyles. The Lions have to keep an eye out for another receiver. Burleson isn't the answer as the #2 either. They need a speed receiver with some decent size. Corey Fuller has good speed, but he hasn't shown anything.

As for QB.... :-s

Matt Willis is stepping up some and seems to be a lock to make the team. Patrick Edwards hasnt played all that well in games but gets so much time with the 1s that I think he makes it. Fuller will be cut and maybe makes the PS. Burleson looks close to retirement. I wonder what they do with the return spot bc Spurlock did have a nice return and has made a few catches on offense the past couple weeks. I like Terrence Austin and Willis but neither are returning. Maybe the Montell Owens injury opens a spot for someone - why was he running the ball anyway? They took a great ST player and played him into an injury. Looked like an ACL tear to me.

August 23rd, 2013, 1:46 pm

Owens injury might not be as serious as thought. Probably just a jam. I think him running the ball as a FB type is just showing that Leshoure won't be in the plans. Bell has taken over the #2 spot and he's got the higher upside. Leshoure was just never the same after the Achilles injury.

Quin's injury was just a hip pointer. He took a direct shot from the RB who lowered his shoulder. He came out precautionary. I was surprised that the announcers didn't know why he was out. It was clear on the play when it happened that he felt the hit. Quin tweeted out that he was fine.

Waddle is the one getting the most buzz about him. He might win the starting RT spot by week 1 or mid-season. A lot are impressed with him.

For the DL, the other thing to remember is that they'll be rotating, so the entire 2nd unit wouldn't be out there the entire time. I think Devin Taylor will benefit from Suh and Fairley, much like Jones benefitted last night. If those guys can show glimpses without that inside pressure, they should be ok with it.

Edwards playing time has to be related to coaches liking him because he simply doesn't perform in games. Besides Broyles having a chance to have a breakout season this year, I think Bush and Bell are going to end up the leading receivers behind CJ.

August 23rd, 2013, 2:01 pm
Reply to topic   [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next