View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently December 21st, 2014, 2:50 am



Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Lions vs Patriots 
Author Message
#1 Overall Pick

Joined: November 28th, 2007, 12:50 pm
Posts: 1431
Location: Newport Beach, Ca
Post Re: Lions vs Patriots
njroar wrote:
Owens injury might not be as serious as thought. Probably just a jam. I think him running the ball as a FB type is just showing that Leshoure won't be in the plans. Bell has taken over the #2 spot and he's got the higher upside. Leshoure was just never the same after the Achilles injury.

Quin's injury was just a hip pointer. He took a direct shot from the RB who lowered his shoulder. He came out precautionary. I was surprised that the announcers didn't know why he was out. It was clear on the play when it happened that he felt the hit. Quin tweeted out that he was fine.

Waddle is the one getting the most buzz about him. He might win the starting RT spot by week 1 or mid-season. A lot are impressed with him.

For the DL, the other thing to remember is that they'll be rotating, so the entire 2nd unit wouldn't be out there the entire time. I think Devin Taylor will benefit from Suh and Fairley, much like Jones benefitted last night. If those guys can show glimpses without that inside pressure, they should be ok with it.

Edwards playing time has to be related to coaches liking him because he simply doesn't perform in games. Besides Broyles having a chance to have a breakout season this year, I think Bush and Bell are going to end up the leading receivers behind CJ.


I totally agree with you about Devin Taylor benefiting from Suh and Fairley. His only problem as a pass rusher is his long body makes it hard for him to explode around the corner, but he holds up well and is incredibly hard to get around because of his reach. If the inside rushers are pushing everything to the outside, I think Taylor will shine at cleaning it up or forcing things back inside.


August 23rd, 2013, 3:28 pm
Profile
#1 Overall Pick

Joined: November 28th, 2007, 12:50 pm
Posts: 1431
Location: Newport Beach, Ca
Post Re: Lions vs Patriots
Looks like Williams broke his hand, so that gives Fauria a great shot at staying on now. If I had to guess what they will do, the Lions will probably put Williams on IR-DTR and just see how things are going after week 8 to decided if they reactivate him or keep him there for the season.


August 23rd, 2013, 3:37 pm
Profile
Player of the Year - Offense

Joined: September 25th, 2007, 3:20 am
Posts: 2828
Post Re: Lions vs Patriots
Yeah, it'll be interesting to see how they handle it. If he's primarily blocking, I could see letting him play with a cast. Depends on who's available for that blocking role. They might end up keeping another lineman now to transition into that role.


August 23rd, 2013, 3:48 pm
Profile
ST Coordinator – John Bonamego
User avatar

Joined: March 30th, 2006, 12:48 am
Posts: 3902
Location: Davison Mi
Post Re: Lions vs Patriots
So as a side thought, and it really doesn't matter due to it being in preseason.....but.....what is with us owning the Pats in week 3 of the preseason? Wasn't it just 2 years ago that we stomped em so bad that bellichek left Brady in the game well into the 4th quarter?

_________________
2013 Lionbacker Fantasy Football Champion


August 25th, 2013, 11:22 am
Profile
ST Coordinator – John Bonamego

Joined: February 11th, 2005, 3:01 pm
Posts: 3875
Location: WSU
Post Re: Lions vs Patriots
Quote:
Owens injury might not be as serious as thought. Probably just a jam. I think him running the ball as a FB type is just showing that Leshoure won't be in the plans. Bell has taken over the #2 spot and he's got the higher upside. Leshoure was just never the same after the Achilles injury.


Owens was able to bear weight on his leg immediately after the injury so maybe a lower likelihood for ACL injury. Not only did Leshoure have the bad injury - he was smoking weed and who knows what else during the rehab phase from that injury! I dont think he s ever going to be a valuable NFL contributor. He ll play out his rookie deal as a goalline short yardage player and then he ll either have to bulk up to be a blocking back or he ll be out of the league.

Quote:
Quin's injury was just a hip pointer. He took a direct shot from the RB who lowered his shoulder. He came out precautionary. I was surprised that the announcers didn't know why he was out. It was clear on the play when it happened that he felt the hit. Quin tweeted out that he was fine.


Good, injury didnt look to serious but sometimes fluke things happen.

Quote:
Waddle is the one getting the most buzz about him. He might win the starting RT spot by week 1 or mid-season. A lot are impressed with him.


Waddle has been playing very well. Wonder how many reserve lineman they will keep. I think they traditionally have kept a total of 4 so it might be Waddle, Hilliard, Gandy, Scott, Harris, Austin.

Quote:
For the DL, the other thing to remember is that they'll be rotating, so the entire 2nd unit wouldn't be out there the entire time. I think Devin Taylor will benefit from Suh and Fairley, much like Jones benefitted last night. If those guys can show glimpses without that inside pressure, they should be ok with it.


I have a hard time seeing Taylor make the active roster too often. Ronnel Lewis if he makes the team figures to play on special teams quite a bit which should put him ahead of Taylor. The active DL would probably be Jones/Ansah/Idonije/Lewis/Suh/Fairley/Bannan. Idonijue or Jones can play some tackle and Bannan IMO is a lot better than Mosley. I dont know what they will do with Willie Young - suspect he might get cut but its probably bw him and Lewis for the last DL roster spot.

Quote:
Edwards playing time has to be related to coaches liking him because he simply doesn't perform in games. Besides Broyles having a chance to have a breakout season this year, I think Bush and Bell are going to end up the leading receivers behind CJ.


Edwards even last year was very good in training camp but not in games. I wonder how much he s been affected by playing with No 1 corners on him. Maybe Calvin Johnson not being out there affects his matchup to the point where he becomes ineffective. Certainly the amount he s played with the first team makes it seem like he has a good chance to be on the team but his production is pretty much nil.


August 25th, 2013, 11:45 am
Profile
ST Coordinator – John Bonamego

Joined: February 11th, 2005, 3:01 pm
Posts: 3875
Location: WSU
Post Re: Lions vs Patriots
regularjoe12 wrote:
So as a side thought, and it really doesn't matter due to it being in preseason.....but.....what is with us owning the Pats in week 3 of the preseason? Wasn't it just 2 years ago that we stomped em so bad that bellichek left Brady in the game well into the 4th quarter?


2 years ago was a completely different type of game. Our starting offense for one looked very very good, stark contrast to this game where they struggled to do much even with great field position and extra possessions. Our secondary was also performed much better 2 years and Belichik played Brady and his 1st team late into the 3rd quarter vs our subs and they still were getting shutdown. This year Brady had no problems moving the ball vs the 1st team but we had some good plays and good luck with fumbles. The game 2 years ago was really a good sign where as this seasons games was so strange that its hard too look at it quite as positive.


Last edited by The Legend on August 25th, 2013, 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.



August 25th, 2013, 11:54 am
Profile
Hall of Fame Player
User avatar

Joined: May 7th, 2005, 3:25 pm
Posts: 7550
Location: Earth/Sagittarius Dwarf Galaxy
Post Re: Lions vs Patriots
The Legend wrote:
regularjoe12 wrote:
So as a side thought, and it really doesn't matter due to it being in preseason.....but.....what is with us owning the Pats in week 3 of the preseason? Wasn't it just 2 years ago that we stomped em so bad that bellichek left Brady in the game well into the 4th quarter?


2 years was a completely different type of game. Our starting offense for one looked very very good, stark contrast to this game where they struggled to do much even with great field position and extra possessions. Our secondary was also performed much better 2 years and Belichik played Brady and his 1st team late into the 3rd quarter vs our subs and they still were getting shutdown. This year Brady had no problems moving the ball vs the 1st team but we had some good plays and good luck with fumbles. The game 2 years ago was really a good sign where as this seasons games was so strange that its hard too look at it quite as positive.


You have to also figure into the equation that Calvin did not play a single snap in this years game. We have an Offensive line in transition and not yet gelled. A D-line in transition and not yet gelled. And a Defensive Backfield that is trying to sort itself out, with too many new faces, to give adequate chances to each of them. ( all but a couple of our DB's are in their 1st or 2nd year with the Lions.) So, basically, the entire team is far more in flux than it was 2 years ago.


August 25th, 2013, 1:28 pm
Profile
ST Coordinator – John Bonamego

Joined: February 11th, 2005, 3:01 pm
Posts: 3875
Location: WSU
Post Re: Lions vs Patriots
BillySims wrote:
The Legend wrote:
regularjoe12 wrote:
So as a side thought, and it really doesn't matter due to it being in preseason.....but.....what is with us owning the Pats in week 3 of the preseason? Wasn't it just 2 years ago that we stomped em so bad that bellichek left Brady in the game well into the 4th quarter?


2 years was a completely different type of game. Our starting offense for one looked very very good, stark contrast to this game where they struggled to do much even with great field position and extra possessions. Our secondary was also performed much better 2 years and Belichik played Brady and his 1st team late into the 3rd quarter vs our subs and they still were getting shutdown. This year Brady had no problems moving the ball vs the 1st team but we had some good plays and good luck with fumbles. The game 2 years ago was really a good sign where as this seasons games was so strange that its hard too look at it quite as positive.


You have to also figure into the equation that Calvin did not play a single snap in this years game. We have an Offensive line in transition and not yet gelled. A D-line in transition and not yet gelled. And a Defensive Backfield that is trying to sort itself out, with too many new faces, to give adequate chances to each of them. ( all but a couple of our DB's are in their 1st or 2nd year with the Lions.) So, basically, the entire team is far more in flux than it was 2 years ago.


all im saying is that as much i d like to i cant look at this year's preseason stomping as the same positive indicator of the season to come as i did when the lions stomped them Pats 2 years ago. all those reasons you mentioned are factors but the only one that i think one could count on to significantly improve anytime soon is the offense when calvin johnson returns. the oline might not be good, the defensive backfield is better than a year ago but how good will they be? and the dline is better than a year ago but probably not better than 2 years ago.


August 25th, 2013, 1:34 pm
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: January 26th, 2005, 9:34 pm
Posts: 10355
Location: Sycamore, IL
Post Re: Lions vs Patriots
FYI - scheffler got screwed on his OPI call. He in no way pushed off

_________________
_____
The kitties are slowly restoring some Millen killed faith. Now, beat those F'ing Fudgies!
Image


August 28th, 2013, 8:26 pm
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: October 20th, 2004, 4:16 pm
Posts: 9984
Location: Where ever I'm at now
Post Re: Lions vs Patriots
conversion02 wrote:
FYI - scheffler got screwed on his OPI call. He in no way pushed off


There were a number of penalties called in that game against the Lions that were complete BS. That was one. There was also a holding call on, I think, Jake Scott that was completely transparent. No holding whatsoever. and Rob Rubick even pointed it out during the telecast.

I have a feeling the officiating is going to be even worse this season based on what I've seen in a number of pre-season games across the league. They've been missing obvious stuff, and making calls that are proven huge mistakes when replayed.

_________________
I will not put on blinders when it comes to our QBs performances.


August 29th, 2013, 10:25 am
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.