View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently July 31st, 2014, 11:50 am

Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Here's comes 'The Turk' 2013 edition 
League MVP

Post Re: Here's comes 'The Turk' 2013 edition
rao wrote:
The Legend wrote:
m2karateman wrote:
5 more to go. The Lions cut Chris Hope, Ronnel Lewis, Myron Lewis and Cody Wilson.

i think the lewis cut is the one thats disappointing. 4th round pick from a year ago who they drafted for special teams and looked like he had some potential at DE. I think he ll catch on with a 3-4 team at some point. lions took a guy that they didnt even have a position for with a pick where lots of teams are still grabbing solid starters. jim schwartz even said as much after they took him. for what its worth i thought lewis had done enough to beat out willie young but that took into account young's salary and lewis' potential on special teams.

this is why the organization is so awful.

lewis' cut may be a sign of more painful cuts to come from last years draft - jonte green and chris greenwood could be at risk.

The worse part about the loss of Lewis is he was finally showing potential and he's got a higher ceiling than Young. They just cut a 4th round pick from a year ago to keep a 7th rounder from 3 years ago that struggled badly as a starter. It's a terrible personnel move and given that Young is going to be a back up this year anyways it makes even less sense to keep the marginally better player with very little room for growth.

i agree, willie young turns 28 this season and ronnel lewis will be 23. i honestly think lewis has a shot somewhere else

August 25th, 2013, 1:56 pm
NFL Veteran

BillySims wrote:
Shotty wrote:
m2karateman wrote:
5 more to go. The Lions cut Chris Hope, Ronnel Lewis, Myron Lewis and Cody Wilson.

:o

I think we should start trading every pick after the 3rd round for players. Those picks are useless at this point.

I have suggested for years that we trade all our picks, fourth round and later, for 1 round improvements the following year. Example: this years 4th for a 3rd next year, this years 5th for a 4th next year, and so on.

There is always a trade partner willing to do that. Just keep rolling picks over until they eventually become 2nd or 3rd rounders. Future picks are not valued very much for some reason. Teams want the guy they want to take a chance on NOW. So, if the player is right for a team that is interested, they will give up a 3rd rounder next year to get a guy they want this year in the 4th because that guy won't make it to them at the end of the 4th or early in the 5th.

This will never be a real strategy in the league. The whole reason you can even make trades like that in the first place is because coaches always have to be in win now mode after their first year and some don't even get a pass on their first year. Your team would have to be so atrociously bad with a new staff coming in or have just won the Super Bowl for an owner to give them the time to play the long game in the draft like that. I'm not saying it's a bad strategy, but no staff will ever be willing to try it.

August 25th, 2013, 2:02 pm
Player of the Year - Defense

Well, Mayhew just traded Thaddeus Lewis to the Bills. So 4th QB who was going to be cut turns into something. No details yet on what we got return, but I think we can all agree that getting something out of the 4th QB is a fleecing.

EDIT - We got Chris White, LB in exchange for Lewis. Tore ACL in 2011 and was primarily ST player. Makes sense with losing Cory Greenwood to injury and Lewis' injury.

August 25th, 2013, 6:55 pm
Butkus Award Winner

rao wrote:
BillySims wrote:
Shotty wrote:
m2karateman wrote:

I think we should start trading every pick after the 3rd round for players. Those picks are useless at this point.

I have suggested for years that we trade all our picks, fourth round and later, for 1 round improvements the following year. Example: this years 4th for a 3rd next year, this years 5th for a 4th next year, and so on.

There is always a trade partner willing to do that. Just keep rolling picks over until they eventually become 2nd or 3rd rounders. Future picks are not valued very much for some reason. Teams want the guy they want to take a chance on NOW. So, if the player is right for a team that is interested, they will give up a 3rd rounder next year to get a guy they want this year in the 4th because that guy won't make it to them at the end of the 4th or early in the 5th.

This will never be a real strategy in the league. The whole reason you can even make trades like that in the first place is because coaches always have to be in win now mode after their first year and some don't even get a pass on their first year. Your team would have to be so atrociously bad with a new staff coming in or have just won the Super Bowl for an owner to give them the time to play the long game in the draft like that. I'm not saying it's a bad strategy, but no staff will ever be willing to try it.

I understand this, but how about trading them for players already on a roster? Asante Samuel was acquired for a 6th round pick. Anquan Boldin was. Having those two (room could be made if we had them) would make us a playoff contender, and we'd lose nothing getting them. That's what I mean by giving them away for actual value.

August 25th, 2013, 7:59 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Lewis got arrested in the offseason and then had the gall to show up to training camp out of shape. Guy just doesn't get it. Bad pick.

August 25th, 2013, 10:05 pm
NFL Veteran

Shotty wrote:
rao wrote:
BillySims wrote:
Shotty wrote:
m2karateman wrote:

I understand this, but how about trading them for players already on a roster? Asante Samuel was acquired for a 6th round pick. Anquan Boldin was. Having those two (room could be made if we had them) would make us a playoff contender, and we'd lose nothing getting them. That's what I mean by giving them away for actual value.

The lions aren't in a position to make those trades. Asante Samuel gave up $3M and turned his 2 year deal into 3 years because he was going to a Super Bowl contender. The Anquan Boldin trade was 2 brothers working out a great deal so one could open cap space while the other got a needed WR. Deals like those don't happen for mid to bottom level teams because there is no incentive for the players to help those things happen. Also the Lions have struggled with getting sizable cap space and that's usually a requirement to get these high end vets with little assets.

August 25th, 2013, 10:41 pm
RIP Killer

The Legend wrote:
m2karateman wrote:

i think the lewis cut is the one thats disappointing. 4th round pick from a year ago who they drafted for special teams and looked like he had some potential at DE. I think he ll catch on with a 3-4 team at some point. lions took a guy that they didnt even have a position for with a pick where lots of teams are still grabbing solid starters. jim schwartz even said as much after they took him. for what its worth i thought lewis had done enough to beat out willie young but that took into account young's salary and lewis' potential on special teams.

rao wrote:
The worse part about the loss of Lewis is he was finally showing potential and he's got a higher ceiling than Young. They just cut a 4th round pick from a year ago to keep a 7th rounder from 3 years ago that struggled badly as a starter. It's a terrible personnel move and given that Young is going to be a back up this year anyways it makes even less sense to keep the marginally better player with very little room for growth.

I want what some of you guys are smoking. Lewis has shown NOTHING as a DE, and was supposed to be a force for us on special teams and has been, instead, an even bigger disappointment in that department. While Young is older and had a poor season last year. However, he has much more impact as a pass rusher than Lewis. Special teamers can be had from other positions, such as linebacker and safety. The Lions don't rotate those positions during the game unless there's an injury. But for our defensive line, the coaches rotate them and we need pass rushers at DE, not guys who have the 'potential' to be a pass rusher because they are only 23. I'll take the 28 year old who can pressure the pocket over the guy who has consistently been a game day healthy scratch.

August 26th, 2013, 8:56 am
5th Round Pick - Traded

m2karateman wrote:
The Legend wrote:
m2karateman wrote:

rao wrote:

I want what some of you guys are smoking. Lewis has shown NOTHING as a DE, and was supposed to be a force for us on special teams and has been, instead, an even bigger disappointment in that department. While Young is older and had a poor season last year. However, he has much more impact as a pass rusher than Lewis. Special teamers can be had from other positions, such as linebacker and safety. The Lions don't rotate those positions during the game unless there's an injury. But for our defensive line, the coaches rotate them and we need pass rushers at DE, not guys who have the 'potential' to be a pass rusher because they are only 23. I'll take the 28 year old who can pressure the pocket over the guy who has consistently been a game day healthy scratch.

Agree! Yet another mid-round mistake by Mayhew. These blunders on draft day have to stop, instead of quality building blocks, he's taking gambles. Yet one more example of his ineptitude to draft intelligently.

August 26th, 2013, 10:03 am
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

liontrax wrote:
Agree! Yet another mid-round mistake by Mayhew. These blunders on draft day have to stop, instead of quality building blocks, he's taking gambles. Yet one more example of his ineptitude to draft intelligently.

I remember Killer wrote a good article a ways back about how the scouts and coaches didn't see eye to eye on Spievey. I have a feeling the same thing happened with Lewis and a good number of the other mid-round flubs.

Schwartz always says they want to have a role in mind when they pick up a guy, and I think you definitely see that with the early picks. Maybe it was case of relying more on the scouts for the mid-rounders, something which hopefully Xanders can improve on (initial returns on this year's class are positive).

August 26th, 2013, 10:10 am
Modmin Dude

PFT wrote:
Da’Rick Rogers among five Bills cuts
Posted by Josh Alper on August 26, 2013, 10:42 AM EDT

Two former University of Tennessee wide receivers went early in the 2013 draft, but many people were intrigued by a third wideout that started his career at Tennessee before transferring after being suspended for failing drug tests.

Da’Rick Rogers didn’t get drafted, but he did sign with the Bills after the draft and those intrigued parties gave him a good chance of nabbing a roster spot with a team short on receivers behind Stevie Johnson. That didn’t wind up happening, though, as Rogers failed to distinguish himself as anything other than a target for criticism for coaches on his way to not taking a snap in the third preseason game.

It’s no surprise, then, that Rogers was waived by the Bills on Monday. His talent could get him claimed, although the limited time left to work with Rogers this summer may make a practice squad the likeliest next stop in his professional career.

The Bills also cut defensive back Dominique Ellis, wide receiver DeMarco Sampson, cornerback Jumal Rolle and center Ryan Turnley.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... ills-cuts/
PFT wrote:
Browns cut four guys, nine to go
Posted by Darin Gantt on August 26, 2013, 10:49 AM EDT

Teams have until Tuesday afternoon to get their rosters down to 75, and the Browns are going to apparently do it a little at a time.

The team released four guys Monday, getting them down to 84 players.

The guys in question were defensive back Vernon Kearney, defensive lineman Dave Kruger, wide receiver Cordell Roberson and linebacker Tommy Smith.

That leaves them with nine more moves to make, and apparently they wanted to get one more day of work out of those guys before sending them packing.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... ine-to-go/

August 26th, 2013, 12:00 pm
Modmin Dude

Quote:
Steelers trim roster to 75
Posted by Mike Florio on August 25, 2013, 7:39 PM EDT

Most teams that have made roster moves in advance of Tuesday’s 75-man deadline have stopped short of going all the way to the new deadline. The Steelers have decided not to waste any more time.

A flurry of moves puts the Steelers at 75, with six days to go until the team cuts to 53.

Linebacker Sean Spence, who suffered a severe knee injury during the 2012 preseason, has been placed on the team’s reserve/physically unable to perform list. He’ll be eligible to return to practice after Week 6 and through Week 11. The Steelers also have placed guard Justin Cheadle and cornerback DeMarcus Van Dyke on the waived/injured list; if unclaimed by another team, they’ll revert to injured reserve. Rookie defensive end Nick Williams has been placed on the injured reserve list.

Finally, the Steelers have released tackle D’Anthony Batiste, running back Baron Batch, tackle Mike Farrell, receiver David Gilreath, receiver Tyler Shaw, cornerback Ryan Steed, linebacker Stevenson Sylvester, tight end Peter Tuitupou, quarterback John Parker Wilson, receiver J.D. Woods, and running back Jeremy Wright.

Quote:
Ricky Stanzi among 14 cut by Chiefs

Posted by Darin Gantt on August 25, 2013, 8:18 PM EDT
Ricky Stanzi
AP
The Chiefs made 14 of the 15 moves they need to make by Tuesday’s deadline to get to 75, and they got rid of a quarterback in the process.

Among the cuts was Ricky Stanzi, a project of the previous administration.

He was made expendable when the Chiefs traded for Alex Smith and signed free agent Chase Daniel, but he lost the third spot to undrafted rookie Tyler Bray.

The Chiefs also released veteran wide receiver Terrance Copper, along with the following players: Defensive back Vince Agnew, defensive end Miguel Chavis, offensive lineman Ryan Durand, offensive lineman Hutch Eckerson, defensive back Otha Foster III, offensive lineman A.J. Hawkins, defensive end Rob Lohr, cornerback Kamaal McIlwain, running back Jordan Roberts, wide receiver Tyler Shoemaker, defensive back Neiko Thorpe and fullback Braden Wilson.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... by-chiefs/
Quote:
Chargers release Deon Butler, nine other players
Posted by Mike Wilkening on August 25, 2013, 9:17 PM EDT

The Chargers announced the release of 10 players on Sunday night, including ex-Seahawks wide receiver Deon Butler.

The club now has 80 players on the roster. It must cut at least five more players by Tuesday, per NFL rules.

The other players released were running back Edwin Baker, center Colin Baxter, cornerback Greg Brown, safety Tony Burnett, guard Brandyn Dombrowski, quarterback Nathan Enderle, punter Richard Kent, defensive lineman Jamarcus McFarland and tight end Dallas Walker.

Butler, 27, had played the previous four seasons with Seattle, catching 57 passes for 611 yards and four touchdowns from 2009 through 2012.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... r-players/
Quote:
Joe McKnight headlines list of 14 Jets cuts

Posted by Josh Alper on August 26, 2013, 8:23 AM EDT
Joe McKnight
AP
Back in May, running back Joe McKnight said that you’d have to kill him to take away his spot on the Jets roster.

It’s time to administer last rites because the Jets made McKnight one of the 14 cuts they needed to make to get down to 75 players by Tuesday’s deadline. The team made the announcement on Monday morning that McKnight’s Jets tenure has come to an end.

That tenure started with Hard Knocks cameras catching McKnight throwing up during his first conditioning test with the team and ended this summer with McKnight barely practicing after suffering a head injury, getting arrested and giving a combative performance during a press conference. There weren’t many bright spots on the field in between, which is why the 2010 fourth-round pick’s time is up with the Jets.

The Jets also cut veteran guard Stephen Peterman, which likely means that 2010 second-round pick Vladimir Ducasse will get a chance to play left guard and shake the disappointing label he’s picked up over the last three years.

Running back Chad Spann, offensive lineman Patrick Ford, offensive lineman Trey Gilleo, wide receiver Joe Collins, wide receiver Marcus Rucker, wide receiver K.J. Stroud, wide receiver Rahsaan Vaughn, linebacker Sean Progar-Jackson, defensive back Donnie Fletcher, defensive back Bret Lockett, punter Ryan Quigley and long snapper Patrick Scales were the other players let go on Monday.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... jets-cuts/
Quote:
Jets cut Braylon Edwards, roster now at 75
Posted by Michael David Smith on August 26, 2013, 12:09 PM EDT

The New York Jets’ final roster cut to reach the Tuesday limit of 75 players was a big name: Braylon Edwards.

Edwards, the wide receiver who has had three stints with the Jets, was released this morning. That got the Jets to exactly 75 players, the limit every team must reach by tomorrow at 4 p.m. ET.

For the 30-year-old Edwards, this may be the end of the road. He hasn’t been a regular starter since 2010, and given his lack of recent production and his knee problems, it’s entirely possible that no other team will pick him up now that the Jets have sent him packing.

Edwards was once considered one of the most promising receivers in the NFL. He was the third overall pick in the 2005 NFL draft, and he made the Pro Bowl in 2007. But he never came close to matching the success he had in that great 2007 season, and now he’s out of work.

August 26th, 2013, 12:43 pm
Modmin Dude

Quote:
Falcons make 11 of their roster cuts
Posted by Darin Gantt on August 25, 2013, 5:00 PM EDT

The Falcons added 11 more names to the list of players looking for work, as teams get to the 75-man roster limit before Tuesday’s deadline.

The team announced they cut the following players: Tight end Tim Biere, fullback DeVonte Campbell, linebacker Nick Clancy, tight end Colin Cloherty, quarterback Seth Doege, defensive end Cam Henderson, tackle Jeff Nady, running back Donald Russell, safety Troy Sanders, center Matt Smith and defensive end Brandon Thurmond.

Cloherty has bounced through camps and practice squads with the Colts, Browns, Jaguars and 49ers. He has five career receptions.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... ster-cuts/
Quote:
Cardinals cut Carpenter, nine others

Posted by Mike Florio on August 25, 2013, 5:09 PM EDT
Carpenter
AP
The kicking competition in Arizona has ended. (There was one?)

The Cardinals have parted ways with veteran kicker Dan Carpenter, who signed after being released by the Dolphins. According to Kent Somers of azcentral.com, Carpenter was one of 10 players released today by the Cardinals.

A 26-yard field goal try by Carpenter was blocked during Saturday’s preseason game against the Chargers. Per Somers, Carpenter also wasn’t impressive in his lone practice with the team.

But veteran Jay Feely shouldn’t completely exhale; the dalliance with Carpenter shows that the Cardinals are at least considering the possibility of upgrading the position — and possibly downgrading the $1.5 million base salary owed to Feely.

Also gone are tackle Joe Caprioglio, receiver Jarett Dillard, receiver Nick Edwards, center Deveric Gallington, defensive end Cordian Hagans, linebacker Korey Jones, defensive tackle Jonathan Mathis, quarterback Caleb TerBush, and cornerback Ronnie Yell.

Finally, linebacker Dan Giordano (toe) has moved to the reserve/PUP list, shutting him down through Week Six, at the earliest.

The Cardinals’ roster currently stands at 76. They need to reduce one more body by Tuesday at 4:00 p.m. ET.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... ne-others/
Quote:
Giants put Stevie Brown on IR, make more cuts

Posted by Darin Gantt on August 25, 2013, 5:17 PM EDT
Jets' Sanchez scrambles away from Giants' Hankins and Curry on a play Sanchez injured his shoulder in the fourth quarter of their NFL pre-season football game in East Rutherford
Reuters
The biggest moves the Giants made today were ones we knew about earlier, the release of linebacker Aaron Curry, and the torn ACL for Stevie Brown that will knock him out for the year.

The Giants announced the rest of their moves to get to the 75-man limit, including placing Brown on injured reserve and making Curry’s release official.

Also released were fullback Ben Guidugli, wide receivers Brandon Collins and Terrence Sinkfield, tight ends Jamie Childers and Chase Clement; offensive linemen Michael Jasper and Austin Holtz, linebackers Jake Muasau and Etienne Sabino, defensive tackle Frank Okam and defensive backs Laron Scott, Junior Mertile and Alonzo Tweedy.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... more-cuts/
Quote:
Broncos waive 11
Posted by Mike Florio on August 25, 2013, 6:23 PM EDT

The Denver Broncos have made the drop from 88 players to 77.

Waived were receiver Kemonte’ Bateman, cornerback Mario Butler, tackle Manase Foketi, quarterback Ryan Katz, linebacker Uona Kaveinga, cornerback Nigel Malone, receiver Quincy McDuffie (waived/injured), receiver Greg Orton (waived/injured), tight end Deangelo Peterson, center/guard Quentin Saulsberry, and defensive end Lanston Tanyi. McDuffie and Orton will revert to the injured-reserve list if not claimed on waivers.

The Broncos have until 4:00 p.m. ET on Tuesday to make two more roster moves.

And they likely won’t submit their final moves by fax.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... -waive-11/

August 26th, 2013, 12:47 pm
Butkus Award Winner

rao wrote:
Shotty wrote:
rao wrote:
BillySims wrote:
Shotty wrote:
m2karateman wrote:

The lions aren't in a position to make those trades. Asante Samuel gave up $3M and turned his 2 year deal into 3 years because he was going to a Super Bowl contender. The Anquan Boldin trade was 2 brothers working out a great deal so one could open cap space while the other got a needed WR. Deals like those don't happen for mid to bottom level teams because there is no incentive for the players to help those things happen. Also the Lions have struggled with getting sizable cap space and that's usually a requirement to get these high end vets with little assets.

That makes more sense. What do you think of Parys Harylson? 49ers are shopping him, and I think he'd be a good DE/OLB for us

August 26th, 2013, 3:21 pm
RIP Killer

Shotty wrote:
That makes more sense. What do you think of Parys Harylson? 49ers are shopping him, and I think he'd be a good DE/OLB for us

Not interested. I don't think he would fit as a down DE for the Lions, and he is strictly a 34 OLB, not a fit for the 43 position.

August 26th, 2013, 3:53 pm
NFL Veteran

I'd have to agree with M2K. He's also only 6' 255 and that doesn't fit with the long bigger DEs they are looking for now.

August 26th, 2013, 3:56 pm
Reply to topic   [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next