View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 25th, 2014, 5:31 pm

Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Which NFL Team Had Your Favorite Draft? 
Walk On

Post Re: Which NFL Team Had Your Favorite Draft?
Sorry if it didn't come across right ... I don't have any problems with your opinions, and as matter of fact those were shared by a lot of Bear fans.

What I meant was, "as it turns out, they may have done well", and not "you don't know what you're talking about".

Agreed - preseason can be misleading.

August 21st, 2013, 1:23 pm
RIP Killer

I.E. wrote:
Sorry if it didn't come across right ... I don't have any problems with your opinions, and as matter of fact those were shared by a lot of Bear fans.

What I meant was, "as it turns out, they may have done well", and not "you don't know what you're talking about".

Agreed - preseason can be misleading.

No problems. If both guys turn out to play as well in regular season as they have in pre-season, the Bears got steals, no doubt about it. Not that it would make me happy if that were the case...... :cheers:

August 21st, 2013, 2:14 pm
Rookie Player of the Year

I've heard that Long could eventually end up an LT, which would be pretty impressive. He hasn't been exactly going against world beaters in the preseason though. The North has some strong players in the middle of the defensive line, so he'll definitely be tested.

I don't really like what I've seen from Bostic. Not sure the best way to describe it, but he just doesn't seem fluid to me. Dropping back into coverage to cover those seam routes is going to be a challenge for him I think--he's definitely no Urlacher in that respect.

August 27th, 2013, 9:52 am
NFL Veteran

thelomasbrowns wrote:
I've heard that Long could eventually end up an LT, which would be pretty impressive. He hasn't been exactly going against world beaters in the preseason though. The North has some strong players in the middle of the defensive line, so he'll definitely be tested.

I don't really like what I've seen from Bostic. Not sure the best way to describe it, but he just doesn't seem fluid to me. Dropping back into coverage to cover those seam routes is going to be a challenge for him I think--he's definitely no Urlacher in that respect.

I think they are getting what most expected from Bostic, he's a good square up tackler that can bring the wood.

I would be a little cautious if I was a Bears fan, they are a new offense throwing lots of stuff out in the preseason to learn the system while so far playing 2 of the worst teams in football and a mediocre Panthers team. I really doubt what we are seeing from them right now is going to be what happens in the regular season when they have to play a team with actual talent.

August 27th, 2013, 11:03 am
Player of the Year - Defense

Actually if you look at PFF, except for that highlight hit (that he was later fined for) Bostic has been subpar. He's been the worst against the run, so I'm not fearing that D too much. And that offense is a quick timing offense which we know from experience is easily thrown off by pressure and becomes easy to predict.

I expect Chicago and Minnesota to take a step back this season.

For us, we're probably going to get more impact out of our rookie class, drafted and undrafted, than we have in even more high profile draft classes. We'll see how that goes though lol.

August 27th, 2013, 11:28 am
Walk On

njroar wrote:
Actually if you look at PFF, except for that highlight hit (that he was later fined for) Bostic has been subpar. He's been the worst against the run, so I'm not fearing that D too much. And that offense is a quick timing offense which we know from experience is easily thrown off by pressure and becomes easy to predict.

For us, we're probably going to get more impact out of our rookie class, drafted and undrafted, than we have in even more high profile draft classes. We'll see how that goes though lol.

Keep in mind that I didn't say Bostic was great - just said that he might end up starting (and he almost did, even with DJ Wiliams back), as justification that the pick was legit. Bostic is going to get a lot of PT - but they did the right thing by starting Williams at least for this year... that's why they brought him in on a one-year contract.

I did say that Kyle Long is great. Today he turned Geno Atkins into a nobody. Zero sacks, zero tackles, zero impact. It was impressive.

Vikes might take a step back - but from what? They weren't that good last year anyway. The Bears upgraded all over the place - especially the Oline. There's no way the Bears are taking at step back.

September 8th, 2013, 10:14 pm
League MVP

I.E. wrote:
njroar wrote:

Keep in mind that I didn't say Bostic was great - just said that he might end up starting (and he almost did, even with DJ Wiliams back), as justification that the pick was legit. Bostic is going to get a lot of PT - but they did the right thing by starting Williams at least for this year... that's why they brought him in on a one-year contract.

I did say that Kyle Long is great. Today he turned Geno Atkins into a nobody. Zero sacks, zero tackles, zero impact. It was impressive.

Vikes might take a step back - but from what? They weren't that good last year anyway. The Bears upgraded all over the place - especially the Oline. There's no way the Bears are taking at step back.

bears problem last couple years has mostly been with adversity hasnt it? strong starts and then fade away badly?

September 8th, 2013, 11:00 pm
Walk On

The Legend wrote:
I.E. wrote:
njroar wrote:

bears problem last couple years has mostly been with adversity hasnt it? strong starts and then fade away badly?

I don't know. 2 years ago it was definitely just Cutler getting injured, and having an embarassment (Caleb Hanie) as backup... they couldn't score points. If Cutler was in - playoffs, easily. I guess that's "adversity" - but is that an excuse for the past, or a predictor of the future?

Last year I suppose the season could be characterized as a fade - but you look at the 5 games they lost in the second half of the season, you can understand why (Houston, Niners, Seahawks, Vikes, Packers). It didn't help with Urlacher finally losing his wheels and getting injured - but I believe the bigger problem that everyone saw is that the Bear D was basically fine, and the offense just wasn't capable of keeping up.

I think what Phil Emery took from that streak was that the offensive coaching staff just wasn't up to snuff for the modern NFL. And also that he had an Oline that couldn't be developed. So he reacted how he did, bringing in new coaching minds and basically an entire new Oline. He wanted Rod to stay - but he didn't, out of loyalty to Lovie. So they brought in Tucker, who has good experience and agreed to continue running Lovie's D while he still had all the veterans there. Makes sense.

I don't think there is any aspect of the current Bears team that could lead someone to assume they're going to swoon.

September 9th, 2013, 12:24 pm

I.E. wrote:
The Legend wrote:
I.E. wrote:
njroar wrote:

I don't know. 2 years ago it was definitely just Cutler getting injured, and having an embarassment (Caleb Hanie) as backup... they couldn't score points. If Cutler was in - playoffs, easily. I guess that's "adversity" - but is that an excuse for the past, or a predictor of the future?

Last year I suppose the season could be characterized as a fade - but you look at the 5 games they lost in the second half of the season, you can understand why (Houston, Niners, Seahawks, Vikes, Packers). It didn't help with Urlacher finally losing his wheels and getting injured - but I believe the bigger problem that everyone saw is that the Bear D was basically fine, and the offense just wasn't capable of keeping up.

I think what Phil Emery took from that streak was that the offensive coaching staff just wasn't up to snuff for the modern NFL. And also that he had an Oline that couldn't be developed. So he reacted how he did, bringing in new coaching minds and basically an entire new Oline. He wanted Rod to stay - but he didn't, out of loyalty to Lovie. So they brought in Tucker, who has good experience and agreed to continue running Lovie's D while he still had all the veterans there. Makes sense.

I don't think there is any aspect of the current Bears team that could lead someone to assume they're going to swoon.

(Just for the record, I'm a Lions fan in Chicago, and I listen to a lot of sports talk radio here for my NFL fix)

Emery talks a good game but I'm not sure he's the genius people are making him out to be. If Cutler going down the past few years has been an issue, why go into the season with McCown as your only back up? Plus, Cutler's in a contract year. That's just irresponsible.

As I indicated in the main forum, Tillman is still awesome, but I just don't buy the idea that a team is a simple mathematical equation you can add and subtract to to get the results you like; it's more like a complicated Chemistry problem. It's not realistic IMO to expect the same results as last year with an entirely different coaching staff.

September 9th, 2013, 12:35 pm
Walk On

thelomasbrowns wrote:
I.E. wrote:
The Legend wrote:
I.E. wrote:
njroar wrote:

(Just for the record, I'm a Lions fan in Chicago, and I listen to a lot of sports talk radio here for my NFL fix)

Emery talks a good game but I'm not sure he's the genius people are making him out to be. If Cutler going down the past few years has been an issue, why go into the season with McCown as your only back up? Plus, Cutler's in a contract year. That's just irresponsible.

As I indicated in the main forum, Tillman is still awesome, but I just don't buy the idea that a team is a simple mathematical equation you can add and subtract to to get the results you like; it's more like a complicated Chemistry problem. It's not realistic IMO to expect the same results as last year with an entirely different coaching staff.

Agreed that keeping only 2 QBs is risky, if the offense requires a learning curve. They're taking a calculated risk, because as you probably know from Chicago sports radio they're expecting to re-sign Matt Blanchard and put him back on the PS after his 10 week injury settlement deal. His thumb should be healed well by then - and they relly like him a lot. He's really the developmental guy on the team (not McCown), and he knows the offense. So they're taking a 9 week risk now.

They like McCown because he's a good locker room guy and now is good friends with Cutler. He is smart, understands Trestman's offense, and can play adequately well (not embarassing like Hanie)... not every team has a really good backup like Hill -more often than not, they're no better - or at least better prepared - than McCown.

Cutler's contract status isn't that big an issue. They're facing the same decisions regardess of that - because who are they going to find to replace Cutler? A mid-round draft pick? No - that's no leverage. They're in bed with Cutler regardless. If he plays well and won't agree to terms, they'll just franchise him and pay the ~ $20Mill for a year or two. He's already on record as saying he wouldn't demand as much as some of the higher paid QBs (and why should he?).

It really comes down to how he plays (which I think is going to be a direct function of how well the Oline plays). If he plays well & they make the playoffs - then he'll get paid well for at least another year or two in Chicago. If the Bears miss the playoffs, Cutler is likely gone - although if they do play well but miss for some other reason (e.g. like Marshall Jeffrey and Forte all going down)... they might franchise him for a year more.

The key thing is, the Bears are in "win now" mode.

September 9th, 2013, 2:13 pm
Walk On

But back to the drafts... this is what I'm most excited about: a leader on the Oline, who takes the responsibility to "protect the QB" seriously...

If you watched the game, you'll see the Bears look like they finally have some Olinemen who won't turtle at the the sight of the Lions DLine. Apparently, Long didn't even grade out well like fellow rookie Mills did at RT ... but to me that is shocking. Anyone watching the game could see who the "big boy' was out there. I guess I'll take a -1.1 rating every day, if that means rendering a prowbowl DT invisible.

September 9th, 2013, 3:02 pm

I.E. wrote:
But back to the drafts... this is what I'm most excited about: a leader on the Oline, who takes the responsibility to "protect the QB" seriously...

If you watched the game, you'll see the Bears look like they finally have some Olinemen who won't turtle at the the sight of the Lions DLine. Apparently, Long didn't even grade out well like fellow rookie Mills did at RT ... but to me that is shocking. Anyone watching the game could see who the "big boy' was out there. I guess I'll take a -1.1 rating every day, if that means rendering a prowbowl DT invisible.

That's an awesome pic. You can definitely understand why people see him ultimately becoming a tackle.

September 9th, 2013, 5:20 pm
Reply to topic   [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3