View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently July 30th, 2014, 1:12 am

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
 Lions Trade Thad Lewis 
Varsity Captain

Post Lions Trade Thad Lewis
Quote:
Lions send Thad Lewis to the Bills

Posted by Mike Florio on August 25, 2013, 6:52 PM EDT

Getty Images
With EJ Manuel (knee) and Kevin Kolb (concussion-like symptoms) injured, the Bills are loading up on quarterbacks.

In addition to signing Matt Leinart, they’ve swung a deal with the Detroit Lions for Thaddeus Lewis, per a league source.

Lewis arrived in Detroit via a waivers claim in May. He entered the league as an undrafted free agent in 2010, with the Rams.

Though Leinart has the better pedigree, Lewis has a leg up in one key area — Lewis started a game in 2012, generating an 83.3 passer rating in a 24-10 loss to the Steelers.

Leinart generated a 44.4 passer rating in a pair of appearances for Oakland last season.

We get linebacker Chris White out of the deal. Shame I actually liked Lewis and wanted us to dump Moore for him.

August 25th, 2013, 8:43 pm
RIP Killer

Post Re: Lions Trade Thad Lewis
Staff or hill weren't going anywhere, so trading Thad fir a LB who may possibly stick is a win win. Thad was a waiver claim and didn't cost anything, so it's a win

August 25th, 2013, 10:08 pm
Butkus Award Winner

Really like the move. Lose nothing, possibly gain a bit on ST.

August 26th, 2013, 5:01 am
Veteran General Manager

Sirius/xm channel says we got a 5th round pick in 2014.

August 26th, 2013, 8:28 am
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

BillySims wrote:
Sirius/xm channel says we got a 5th round pick in 2014.

so we made up for the Mike thomas trade. nice.

August 26th, 2013, 1:11 pm
NFL Veteran

I have yet to see anywhere else saying they got a 5th round pick back for Lewis. I also find it hard to believe the Bills would give a 5th for a guy that is battling for the 3rd string spot and to lead the scout team offense. The only thing that has been put out there is that they will be getting back the LB Chris White.

August 26th, 2013, 1:24 pm
League MVP

Thad Lewis seems to be a quality player so Im not sure its a great trade (i think he s better than moore) but given that the Lions probably werent going to keep Thad Lewis and need depth at linebacker its a good move. whitehead and travis lewis have been bad and rocky mcintosh didnt quite look ready last week. its a great opportunity for both chris white for the lions and thaddeus lewis might even have a shot at starting for buffalo so its an unbelievable chance for him. he just has to beat out jeff tuel (who?) and matt leinart who wasnt even in training camp with another team.

August 27th, 2013, 10:21 am
Red Shirt Freshman

Damn. It sounds like Buffalo will most likely have its pick of any QB in next year's draft (with the #1 pick).

August 27th, 2013, 3:28 pm
League MVP

Growler wrote:
Damn. It sounds like Buffalo will most likely have its pick of any QB in next year's draft (with the #1 pick).

that would be ballsy considering they were the only team to take a 1st rd QB this year

August 27th, 2013, 7:14 pm
RIP Killer

Who cares about a potential 3rd stringer at QB? With staff and hill it's purely trade bait. They're not developing any 3rd stringer, he's practice pawn and a clipboard holder. I'd find the smartest football player at QB I could and stick him back there, even if he was terrible.

August 27th, 2013, 10:21 pm
League MVP

conversion02 wrote:
Who cares about a potential 3rd stringer at QB? With staff and hill it's purely trade bait. They're not developing any 3rd stringer, he's practice pawn and a clipboard holder. I'd find the smartest football player at QB I could and stick him back there, even if he was terrible.

you never know when that 3rd stringer turns into matt hasselbeck, mark brunell, kurt warner, tom brady or tony romo. heck even if they become jay feidler there is a lot of value in that. there s value in having a 3rd QB develop and may be advantages in the way a 3rd stringer could develop - no spotlight, little pressure. plus you never know when they might be needed to step up and play in a game.

i dont understand your last sentence but it sounds like what kellen moore

August 28th, 2013, 9:59 am
RIP Killer

conversion02 wrote:

A 3rd string QB can become the starter faster than you are letting on. Look at Buffalo right now. Thad Lewis was traded from this team and is instantly elevated to the #2 spot, with an eye on becoming their starter. Stafford and Hill haven't exactly been iron men for their careers, so the third QB spot on this roster can come to the forefront.

And is trade bait a bad thing to have? With the premium on QBs in this league, having a decent to good third stringer behind center gives us leverage to gain picks or depth where we had none. I'll take a good 3rd string QB over a good backup at any other position as trade bait any day of the week.

August 28th, 2013, 7:22 pm
RIP Killer

I wouldn't, especially when you have a 5000 yard QB who has been a legit pro bowl snub and a backup who could start on multiple teams and be a massive upgrade. And the other half, we have garbage at LB, where the liklihood of a starter getting hurt and a depth player playing is much, much more likely. Not to mention, your 3rd string QB will contribute nowhere unless you have injuries (or seriously mismanage your team like buffalo or Arizona), where a LB will contribute on STs or he will be unemployed.

August 28th, 2013, 8:23 pm
League MVP

conversion02 wrote:
I wouldn't, especially when you have a 5000 yard QB who has been a legit pro bowl snub and a backup who could start on multiple teams and be a massive upgrade. And the other half, we have garbage at LB, where the liklihood of a starter getting hurt and a depth player playing is much, much more likely. Not to mention, your 3rd string QB will contribute nowhere unless you have injuries (or seriously mismanage your team like buffalo or Arizona), where a LB will contribute on STs or he will be unemployed.

lets say they develop moore to the point where they are confident he could become a game manager behind stafford. they could trade the proven commodity shaun hill for a 4th-5th rd pick to a team with an injury and also open up some cap space.

August 29th, 2013, 2:55 am
RIP Killer

The Legend wrote:
conversion02 wrote:

lets say they develop moore to the point where they are confident he could become a game manager behind stafford. they could trade the proven commodity shaun hill for a 4th-5th rd pick to a team with an injury and also open up some cap space.

Also, it has to be understood that Hill is 33 years old and will be in the last year of his contract. They have to consider that Hill will prefer to look for a starting job elsewhere than to continue backing up Stafford to close out his career.

And in a QB driven league, even 3rd stringers hold good value if they show the ability to be good at coming into the game and being somewhat effective, even as merely a game manager. If our LBers are so bad, then certainly our management is capable of finding talent released from other teams to improve upon our depth. However, if we only carry two QBs, and both get hurt, signing a guy off the street to be our interim QB and learn the playbook that quickly is going to be worthless. At the end of the season, if that 3rd stringer never plays, it's easy to say he was a waste of a roster spot. But can't the same be said of any other player who is carried on that 53 man roster that is a game day healthy scratch nearly every week?

August 29th, 2013, 10:20 am
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]