View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 20th, 2014, 11:53 am

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Undrafted OT LaAdrain Waddle a Diamond in the Rough Steal? 
Red Shirt Freshman

Post Undrafted OT LaAdrain Waddle a Diamond in the Rough Steal?
This sort of thing almost never happens (has it ever happened?) for the Lions, but could they have found a real diamond in the rought in OT LaAdrian Waddle? Have they ever picked up an undrafted rookie free agent who ended up as an above-average starter, eventually?

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/20 ... ted_r.html

August 24th, 2013, 2:55 am
RIP Killer

Post Re: Undrafted OT LaAdrain Waddle a Diamond in the Rough Stea
Growler wrote:
This sort of thing almost never happens (has it ever happened?) for the Lions, but could they have found a real diamond in the rought in OT LaAdrian Waddle? Have they ever picked up an undrafted rookie free agent who ended up as an above-average starter, eventually?

James Hall was an undrafted free agent that become a pretty good starter for the Lions and Rams.

August 24th, 2013, 8:26 pm
Butkus Award Winner

I liked some of the things I saw. He has good leverage, good footwork and reacts quickly. I hope he gets more snaps than Fox/Hilliard who have shown absolutely nothing so far. Fox may be better suited at RG.

August 26th, 2013, 5:02 am
Red Shirt Freshman

Growler wrote:

Waddle has all the physical tools to be a great OT, but he came from a terrible system (Texas Tech) where his first move was to drop back into pass protection pretty much every time. If he learns the NFL game quickly then yeah, he's going to be playing for a long time at a high level.

August 26th, 2013, 7:29 pm
Player of the Year - Defense

They've been working him primarily at RT, but he's naturally a LT. Yes, the TT system was primarily backpeddling, but they've said he's picked up the changes faster than most. If he's in the discussion at RT, he could push at LT if the OL play is is bad as some here think it is. How funny would it be if we found out LT of the future as an undrafted FA.

I'm not as down on the OL as most, because it's tough to get a real look with so few preseason snaps. And we don't know what assignments were as opposed to what happened after the snap. I'll wait to pass judgement until they've had a time to form a little chemistry with 3 new positions. I've seen good and bad things for example Warford giving up inside pressure, but turning around and making Bush's 67yd screen possible.

August 26th, 2013, 9:38 pm
League MVP

njroar wrote:
They've been working him primarily at RT, but he's naturally a LT. Yes, the TT system was primarily backpeddling, but they've said he's picked up the changes faster than most. If he's in the discussion at RT, he could push at LT if the OL play is is bad as some here think it is. How funny would it be if we found out LT of the future as an undrafted FA.

I'm not as down on the OL as most, because it's tough to get a real look with so few preseason snaps. And we don't know what assignments were as opposed to what happened after the snap. I'll wait to pass judgement until they've had a time to form a little chemistry with 3 new positions. I've seen good and bad things for example Warford giving up inside pressure, but turning around and making Bush's 67yd screen possible.

it would be amazing especially in a draft where they had a top 5 pick, identified LT as the biggest need and couldn't land one in the first round but instead got one after the draft...

warford didn't do such a good job on the screen play he was slow to get out there and made a block after bush already had to cut back. warford isn't ready to start, reiff looks like he will have his share of struggles and there isn't a great answer on the right side between fox and hilliard though fox has been better.

August 27th, 2013, 7:19 pm
1st Round Pick

I still think they should just flip flop Fox and Reiff. Fox has good enough pass protection and it's not like Reiff is looking super solid.

August 27th, 2013, 7:30 pm
RIP Killer

I hope waddle pans out. We haven't had a guy with a chip on his shoulder this big in years. Hopefully it'll bring out the nasty-ness we've been missing at OT. Plus, if he starts, hell have so much to prove and then he'll get that idea of good play earns you good money.

August 27th, 2013, 10:19 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

I hope Waddle works out, and moreso I hope he can play LT well.. and then maybe Reiff can move to RT or shoot LG since Sims is getting any younger. I personally like having a big ole dude like Waddle protecting Matt on the left side.

NEVER GIVE UP!

August 28th, 2013, 8:28 am

Anybody know the standard contract duration for UFDAs?

August 28th, 2013, 9:43 am
1st Round Pick

thelomasbrowns wrote:
Anybody know the standard contract duration for UFDAs?

Waddle is signed to a 3 year $1.5M deal with $10,000 guaranteed.

August 28th, 2013, 10:10 am

I like what Birkett suggested today: use Waddle in the Reiff role from last year. Then I'd put M. Williams on IR. We're gonna want him around next year with Pett and Scheff both entering contract years.

August 28th, 2013, 8:37 pm
RIP Killer

I liked what I saw from Waddle in the preseason - I could see him starting at RT by mid-season if Fox isn't panning out. Nice pickup boys.

September 5th, 2013, 9:05 am
Profile WWW
Pop Warner Vet

Growler wrote:

Big Joe Fauria?

September 11th, 2013, 11:37 am
RIP Killer

chilledmonkeybrains wrote:
Growler wrote:

Big Joe Fauria?

Already gave the answer....James Hall.

September 11th, 2013, 6:00 pm
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next