View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently July 23rd, 2014, 10:45 pm

Reply to topic  [ 747 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47 ... 50  Next
 Lions Predictions 
QB Coach

Post Re: Lions Predictions
But doesn't take two people to sign a contract? The one who offeres it, and the one who signs it?

This is rudimentary at best, but seems to work here. You want to ride this really cool ride, but there is a known danger in doing so, so you sign the waiver and off you go.

Players are substantially compensated for injuries, and choose to play the game and make it a career. Former players 80's on back, did not receive the $ that current players do, so they have a legitimate argument. But IF I wanted to use the argument about injuries in my own case, could I not sue the US Government for damages done to my body duing my military time? Bad knees, back, neck, broken shoulder? Many of these don't factor in until well advanced in years, but at 18 - 22 those things didn't matter because my body "healed" up quickly.

I signed the contract, I agreed to do x, y, z, and was paid for it, so at what point does the responsibility for my decisions come back on me?

And please don't get me started on that wonderful model of Obamacare called the VA, that is a soapbox sermon waiting to happen.

2 Chronicles 10:14, "if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land."

August 26th, 2013, 3:48 pm
Walk On

WarEr4Christ wrote:
But doesn't take two people to sign a contract? The one who offeres it, and the one who signs it?

This is rudimentary at best, but seems to work here. You want to ride this really cool ride, but there is a known danger in doing so, so you sign the waiver and off you go.

Players are substantially compensated for injuries, and choose to play the game and make it a career. Former players 80's on back, did not receive the $ that current players do, so they have a legitimate argument. But IF I wanted to use the argument about injuries in my own case, could I not sue the US Government for damages done to my body duing my military time? Bad knees, back, neck, broken shoulder? Many of these don't factor in until well advanced in years, but at 18 - 22 those things didn't matter because my body "healed" up quickly.

I signed the contract, I agreed to do x, y, z, and was paid for it, so at what point does the responsibility for my decisions come back on me?

And please don't get me started on that wonderful model of Obamacare called the VA, that is a soapbox sermon waiting to happen.

I'm no lawyer - maybe one of the ones hanging out here can comment on waiving your rights in a contract like that... especially in a monopolistic situation like the NFL. It is sticky ground, and not as straight-forward as you're implying.

Do you realize that PPACA is not government-provided medicine? It is government-facilitated subsidies of private insurance for people who struggle to afford it otherwise, due to either income or pre-existing condition-related reasons. Maybe "get started" with understanding the difference?

August 26th, 2013, 4:46 pm
QB Coach

We may want to move this to another thread, it's getting jacked....

I predict the Lions will win some, and lose some :P

Although they just don't seem to have the drive they did in 11, which is disappointing as a fan. They are doing just enough to satisfy the fans, but not enough to blow the doors off. I'm severely disappointed to see a team like Chicago, go through a coaching change, and system change in one season, and from all appearances they are stronger now than under lovie..

I predict we'll be third in the division, just inching out Minnesota

2 Chronicles 10:14, "if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land."

August 26th, 2013, 6:53 pm
Butkus Award Winner

I say from 5 to 12 wins. Yes, 12. If EVERYTHING from health, to Stafford magically not staring Calvin down anymore, to Bush playing the Best role to perfection for 16 games, to Slay becoming a legit #2 CB, to the offensive line gelling and to Palmer playing OLB better than a 3rd string LB should, we're a playoff team. Sadly, I only see 3 of these 5 happening at most, so I'm going with 8-9

August 26th, 2013, 7:07 pm
Walk On

Shotty wrote:
I say from 5 to 12 wins. Yes, 12. If EVERYTHING from health, to Stafford magically not staring Calvin down anymore, to Bush playing the Best role to perfection for 16 games, to Slay becoming a legit #2 CB, to the offensive line gelling and to Palmer playing OLB better than a 3rd string LB should, we're a playoff team. Sadly, I only see 3 of these 5 happening at most, so I'm going with 8-9

Now THAT is an authentic NFL football prediction! I mean, who knows? Who knows who get injured, or who comes out of nowhere, or who suddenly "gets it" ... it's a crapshoot. I think every football fan just wants their team to play to their potential, make big plays when it counts, and not goof up too much.

August 26th, 2013, 8:11 pm
Team MVP

I say 7-8 wins. Tough division doesn't help.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

August 26th, 2013, 10:38 pm
National Champion

I say we would be fortunate to win 8.

And I agree, it's a tough division.

August 27th, 2013, 3:59 pm
Towel Boy

I’ve been a Lions fan for over 50 years, and that part of me (knowing what usually happens) says 5-11 at best, but I’m hoping for at least 8-8. Seems every new season brings hope and promise but ends up in bitterness and disappointment. That’s the sad fate of being a Lions fan.

August 27th, 2013, 4:18 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Welcome to the boards waiting.

I cant be the only 1 whod rather go 5-11 than 8-8 can I. 8 wins likely keeps the current regime in place, as they will be "trending up" again. To Me I want Playoffs/ 9 wins+ for real proof of a potential future or another 6win or less season that gets the entire staff poop.

August 27th, 2013, 5:14 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
League MVP

DJ-B wrote:
Welcome to the boards waiting.

I cant be the only 1 whod rather go 5-11 than 8-8 can I. 8 wins likely keeps the current regime in place, as they will be "trending up" again. To Me I want Playoffs/ 9 wins+ for real proof of a potential future or another 6win or less season that gets the entire staff poop.

8-8 sometimes means the team has meaningful football all the way into december, even if they dont make the playoffs there is value in that and lions could better evaluate there own players. a 5-11 team usually is done in early november and as a fan all you are left with is 6 months of draft projections instead of 4. plus if they only win 5, there are going to serious questions about stafford being a monumental failure but he ll have to come back for at least another season or two which will probably have a pretty hopeless outlook. the 2012 lions to me gave away too many games with ST and coaching blunders, i think this team is better but only by a few games and i cant give them credit for games they threw away last season.

September 3rd, 2013, 12:19 am
Red Shirt Freshman

I see them as an 8-8 team. However, if the offense can show some spark and if the defensive line is good and the secondary above average and if a couple balls bounce their way, maybe they could get to 10-6.

September 3rd, 2013, 12:54 am
League MVP

Growler wrote:
I see them as an 8-8 team. However, if the offense can show some spark and if the defensive line is good and the secondary above average and if a couple balls bounce their way, maybe they could get to 10-6.

offensive line figures to struggle badly meaning stafford will have to get it out quick and linehan will have to keep defenses off balance. stafford hasnt looked good and the secondary targets besides calvin are worse than a year ago. i think they made some improvement to the defense. i can see 10-6 as possible but they ll need there share of breaks and stafford will have to have it going on.

September 3rd, 2013, 1:47 am
Red Shirt Freshman

Stafford definitely needs to get out of his preseason funk and step it up.

September 3rd, 2013, 3:30 am
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Growler wrote:
Stafford definitely needs to get out of his preseason funk and step it up.

Thankfully, I'm pretty sure preseason funk=not having Calvin (or Broyles). We know the bulk of the targets are going to go to CJ, Bush, and Pett. Broyles, who Staff is also comfortable with, should make a couple of key catches every game. Sure, it's not clear who else is going to contribute, but I'm not sure we need much more. Now, if we have injuries, all bets are off...

September 3rd, 2013, 7:34 am
5th Round Pick - Traded

Should win 10, could win 12, but will probably win 8. Sucks to be middle of the road!

Last edited by liontrax on September 3rd, 2013, 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

September 3rd, 2013, 9:51 pm
Reply to topic   [ 747 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47 ... 50  Next