View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 27th, 2014, 5:45 am

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 2013 Practice Squad 
Modmin Dude

Post 2013 Practice Squad
Quote:
tailback Steven Miller
cornerback Chris Greenwood
Tailback Shaun Chapas
receiver Corey Fuller
offensive lineman Rodney Austin
defensive lineman Jimmy Saddler-McQueen
defensive lineman Xavier Proctor
linebacker Brandon Hepburn

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/20 ... ed_to.html

September 1st, 2013, 2:28 pm
Rookie Player of the Year

Post Re: 2013 Practice Squad
Like how that shaped up. Goes to show that R. Lewis is the only real 'bust' pick (Spievey too if you go back that far). With Greenwood, Fuller, and Hepburn they apparently liked what they saw, just not enough to give them a spot on the roster for a 'must-win' season.

September 1st, 2013, 2:34 pm
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

its pretty unusual that they signed all of there own guys to the practice squad, that hasnt been typical of what they have done in the past several years. maybe its a good sign but i expect there to be quite a bit of turnover on the PS as the season progresses.

they have enough tailbacks that I dont see the value in having Miller on the PS, also not sure why they need so many DL though I think both Proctor and McQueen are decent prospects. Fuller and Greenwood were both recent picks so I understand that they want to develop and follow those two a little longer. Austin is a solid prospect that might get signed away. They need LBs like Hepburn and I think he could beat out Travis Lewis for ST duty if he learns the defense better. I think its interesting they have Chapas as a FB on PS even though they arent really carrying one on the roster and didnt use a lot of FB/TB sets in the last couple of seasons.

September 1st, 2013, 2:59 pm
QB Coach

Yeah I was surprised that they signed all their own guys back to the PS. I figured a few that they wanted back would have gotten claimed, especially in light of the Jags claiming 7 guys and several other teams claiming 2-3 players. It's also weird that they weren't interested in any players cut from other teams. I have a feeling a few of these spots will be changing soon. In essence it's like we have a 61 man roster considering all these guys were already on the team before cuts.

September 1st, 2013, 3:05 pm
NFL Veteran

The Legend wrote:
its pretty unusual that they signed all of there own guys to the practice squad, that hasnt been typical of what they have done in the past several years. maybe its a good sign but i expect there to be quite a bit of turnover on the PS as the season progresses.

they have enough tailbacks that I dont see the value in having Miller on the PS, also not sure why they need so many DL though I think both Proctor and McQueen are decent prospects. Fuller and Greenwood were both recent picks so I understand that they want to develop and follow those two a little longer. Austin is a solid prospect that might get signed away. They need LBs like Hepburn and I think he could beat out Travis Lewis for ST duty if he learns the defense better. I think its interesting they have Chapas as a FB on PS even though they arent really carrying one on the roster and didnt use a lot of FB/TB sets in the last couple of seasons.

Don't they always keep Chapas on the practice squad for the scout team? Seemed like a pretty standard move since they don't have a FB on the 53-man roster.

September 1st, 2013, 8:32 pm
Div 1 - Starter

inheritedlionsfan wrote:
Yeah I was surprised that they signed all their own guys back to the PS. I figured a few that they wanted back would have gotten claimed, especially in light of the Jags claiming 7 guys and several other teams claiming 2-3 players. It's also weird that they weren't interested in any players cut from other teams. I have a feeling a few of these spots will be changing soon. In essence it's like we have a 61 man roster considering all these guys were already on the team before cuts.

It's important to remember that claiming a guy off waivers means that player immediately goes on the 53-man roster. Greenwood has great potential, but he's basically missed his rookie season on IR, and had a hamstring that kept him out. So he's got all the physical tools, but too risky to put on the roster.

Miller and Chapas? Running backs. 'Nuff said on that. Fuller was/is a project, not someone any team would grab to put on the roster. Hepburn and Austin are both ST/developmental backups, not necessarily and upgrade. I guess the same could be said for Hepburn and Saddler-McQueen.

The Jags have one of the sorriest rosters in the NFL. No surprise they took so many.

September 1st, 2013, 9:54 pm
Div 1 - Starter

nothing to see here, move along...

September 1st, 2013, 9:55 pm

rao wrote:
The Legend wrote:

Don't they always keep Chapas on the practice squad for the scout team? Seemed like a pretty standard move since they don't have a FB on the 53-man roster.

they are rarely in pads during the season so anybody could stand in and walk through as a scout team fullback. i know they had chapas active for a few games last season so maybe there is some package they like with a fullback. still it doesnt make sense to be a PS player for a team that isnt utilizing the position that you play. owens is on the roster but out for a minimum of over a third the season. have to think that chapas has a good shot at being that 53rd player until owens comes back

September 2nd, 2013, 11:47 pm
RIP Killer

Except chapas has shown nothing and Felton who we under-used is now a pro bowler for the best RB in the league

September 3rd, 2013, 8:35 am
NFL Veteran

conversion02 wrote:
Except chapas has shown nothing and Felton who we under-used is now a pro bowler for the best RB in the league

Felton is also suspended for the first three games of the season and lets be real here, he's a pro bowl FB because he plays with the best RB in the league.

September 3rd, 2013, 9:15 am
Hall of Fame Player

inheritedlionsfan wrote:

We may have tried to claim a few players. But, the 4 teams ahead of us. Claimed them ahead of us.

September 3rd, 2013, 1:53 pm

conversion02 wrote:

there are only what 20-25 fullbacks in the league so it doesnt mean much. the lions dont utilize a fullback much anyway so who really cares other than it d be nice if felton wasnt on a division rival. felton s played a lot better since going to the vikings but he s also behind a much better offensive line and has the best runner in pro football behind him so he s going to look good. i disagree that chapas has shown nothing i m just not sure why the lions even bother developing a fullback when they dont use the position much.

September 3rd, 2013, 8:24 pm
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]