View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 26th, 2014, 6:23 am

Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Name one thing that the federal government does well. 
Player of the Year - Defense

Post Re: Name one thing that the federal government does well.
I think the key words in there is what they can't vs won't provide. Police in general are privatized down to the local level. Municipal governments are the ones that dictate the amount of funding they require and the reason some are such drains on the tax payer. Does NYC really need 36,000 police officers so no matter where you go, you see one? Or does it just make it easier for them to slack off because there's so many? It gives the mayor an excuse to keep requesting money, but it's a fear tactic. Most of the funding doesn't go to salaries, so they're just an excuse to spend more.

Courts are supposed to be blind to justice, but do we really get that with politically appointed or elected judges like we have now? The campaign financing issues almost guarantee that they'll owe someone. Maybe independent and transparent system separate from the normal political system would make more sense. I don't think a private system would work, but it can't be tied into the political system either if you want it to be unbiased. Especially when judges end up interpreting the laws that the lawmakers pass. Always ripe for abuse to set precedent.

Militaries is a tricky one. Blackwater or Xi was a solid business plan, the problem was the corruption from the CEO. Giving an outlet for ex-military for private security (just about every big name NFL player has one) as well as outsourcing for support where the military might not have a full complement of people/supplies wasn't a bad idea. The way it was implemented and the contracts were the problem. No one should be exempt from punishment if they break the law. That was the administration's fault.

Government should never be in a profit area. Healthcare is a ploy, which they've acknowledged, as a way to get to single payer. Force the economy to buckle under the current plan that setup no hike increase limits and of course you're left with no option but to form a government option. Can't. Can the private market provide health care? Absolutely? Can the government help without a complete takeover? Yes. As we're seeing from the real economy, this plan isn't helping. The stock market is people gambling on things making a profit, not how stable the economy is or how many jobs the economy is creating. Businesses are coming out left and right saying that they'll be laying off people or reducing hours, but because that will cause a profit, the stock market continues to rise. We've lost perspective.

After the civil war, the government had to step in. There were no medical personnel for the injured soldiers. There was no system setup to bury the mass number of dead soldiers or the sickness from the corpses laying around. That was a system where the private sector couldn't provide. Why should we continue to post office when we have Fedex and UPS that run far more profitable systems? Do we keep it strictly to protect tradition? Why do we have the department of education when all it is is a lobbying force for the teacher's unions? Should education have oversight? Of course, but it doesn't need to be as big as it is now.

Unless we get some transparency in Washington, nothing will change, regardless of party. And I agree with m2k.... anger is brewing. And it's not going to take much to set off the powder keg. It could continue to simmer and fizzle out for a few decades like it did in the 60's, but eventually it will boil over.

September 3rd, 2013, 11:04 pm

This:

https://twitter.com/DRUDGE/status/374921187513479168

Last edited by TheRealWags on September 4th, 2013, 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Added embedded tweet

September 3rd, 2013, 11:27 pm
RIP Killer

Blueskies wrote:
This:

Is this some form of a joke?

All the things he states the Republicans are doing, are being pushed by the Democrats right now....not to mention the plethora of other garbage they push on the American people that infringe upon our Constitutional rights.

Who is opening up the can of worms in Syria?
Who created a 'tax' because they couldn't pass Obamacare any other way?
Who has authorized infringement of privacy and drone strikes against Americans?

September 4th, 2013, 11:48 am
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

m2karateman wrote:
Blueskies wrote:
This:

All the things he states the Republicans are doing, are being pushed by the Democrats right now....not to mention the plethora of other garbage they push on the American people that infringe upon our Constitutional rights.

My thinking exactly. The NSA was uncovered AND supported by this regime. why is this guy calling out the republicans???

September 4th, 2013, 12:08 pm
Modmin Dude

regularjoe12 wrote:
m2karateman wrote:
Blueskies wrote:
This:

My thinking exactly. The NSA was uncovered AND supported by this regime. why is this guy calling out the republicans???
Perhaps it should be, "Why would anyone vote anymore?"; its not like it actually makes a difference dontknow.gif ](*,)

September 4th, 2013, 12:29 pm
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

TheRealWags wrote:
regularjoe12 wrote:
m2karateman wrote:
Blueskies wrote:
This:

Perhaps it should be, "Why would anyone vote anymore?"; its not like it actually makes a difference dontknow.gif ](*,)

Which brings us to another thing the government is good at: it's GREAT at pointing the finger at the other guy and blaiming them for what it is currently doing.

September 4th, 2013, 2:06 pm

Quote:

His point is that both are doing it. There is no difference. Pepsi/Coke.

September 4th, 2013, 3:11 pm
Varsity 1st Team

In the words of the late George Carlin

Bombing Brown People

Frok

September 4th, 2013, 7:18 pm
Reply to topic   [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2