View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently December 22nd, 2014, 4:35 pm



Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Rugland 
Author Message
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: October 20th, 2004, 4:16 pm
Posts: 9988
Location: Where ever I'm at now
Post Re: Rugland
I have to wonder....would the Lions think enough of Rugland to put him on the PS? Probably not, I know. But it would be a shame to lose the guy, since I think he's got a promising future. However, the Lions are definitely going with Akers. It's a shame the Lions can't turn back the clock and get Matt Prater back. He didn't beat out Hanson that year, but he certainly showed he was a pretty damn good kicker.

_________________
I will not put on blinders when it comes to our QBs performances.


August 24th, 2013, 8:20 pm
Profile
National Champion

Joined: August 13th, 2006, 11:04 pm
Posts: 881
Location: Washington, DC
Post Re: Rugland
m2karateman wrote:
I have to wonder....would the Lions think enough of Rugland to put him on the PS? Probably not, I know. But it would be a shame to lose the guy, since I think he's got a promising future. However, the Lions are definitely going with Akers. It's a shame the Lions can't turn back the clock and get Matt Prater back. He didn't beat out Hanson that year, but he certainly showed he was a pretty damn good kicker.



If the Lions put him on the PS, I'd be surprised if someone didn't take him. I just can't help but feel like this guy is going to be special. Even if Akers does well, he won't be with us for more than two or three years...


August 26th, 2013, 11:41 am
Profile
ST Coordinator – John Bonamego
User avatar

Joined: March 30th, 2006, 12:48 am
Posts: 3911
Location: Davison Mi
Post Re: Rugland
Hystrix wrote:
m2karateman wrote:
I have to wonder....would the Lions think enough of Rugland to put him on the PS? Probably not, I know. But it would be a shame to lose the guy, since I think he's got a promising future. However, the Lions are definitely going with Akers. It's a shame the Lions can't turn back the clock and get Matt Prater back. He didn't beat out Hanson that year, but he certainly showed he was a pretty damn good kicker.



If the Lions put him on the PS, I'd be surprised if someone didn't take him. I just can't help but feel like this guy is going to be special. Even if Akers does well, he won't be with us for more than two or three years...


am I the only one with aprehension about the guy? Untill i see him kick under pressure, Im just not sold on the guy. it's relatively "easy" to kick trick shots when you can edit out a miss, but when the game, heck teh season is on the line at the end of the game.....THATS where a good kicker shines, and up to now, we can't say we have seen how he would do. i'm glad we have Akers

_________________
2013 Lionbacker Fantasy Football Champion


August 26th, 2013, 1:14 pm
Profile
National Champion

Joined: August 13th, 2006, 11:04 pm
Posts: 881
Location: Washington, DC
Post Re: Rugland
regularjoe12 wrote:
Hystrix wrote:
m2karateman wrote:
I have to wonder....would the Lions think enough of Rugland to put him on the PS? Probably not, I know. But it would be a shame to lose the guy, since I think he's got a promising future. However, the Lions are definitely going with Akers. It's a shame the Lions can't turn back the clock and get Matt Prater back. He didn't beat out Hanson that year, but he certainly showed he was a pretty damn good kicker.



If the Lions put him on the PS, I'd be surprised if someone didn't take him. I just can't help but feel like this guy is going to be special. Even if Akers does well, he won't be with us for more than two or three years...


am I the only one with aprehension about the guy? Untill i see him kick under pressure, Im just not sold on the guy. it's relatively "easy" to kick trick shots when you can edit out a miss, but when the game, heck teh season is on the line at the end of the game.....THATS where a good kicker shines, and up to now, we can't say we have seen how he would do. i'm glad we have Akers


He kicked a 50 yarder in a game. I mean, it would be nice to have him kick a game winner...in overtime...against the wind, but it's had to simulate that in a preseason game.


August 26th, 2013, 1:52 pm
Profile
ST Coordinator – John Bonamego
User avatar

Joined: March 30th, 2006, 12:48 am
Posts: 3911
Location: Davison Mi
Post Re: Rugland
Hystrix wrote:
regularjoe12 wrote:
Hystrix wrote:
m2karateman wrote:
I have to wonder....would the Lions think enough of Rugland to put him on the PS? Probably not, I know. But it would be a shame to lose the guy, since I think he's got a promising future. However, the Lions are definitely going with Akers. It's a shame the Lions can't turn back the clock and get Matt Prater back. He didn't beat out Hanson that year, but he certainly showed he was a pretty damn good kicker.



If the Lions put him on the PS, I'd be surprised if someone didn't take him. I just can't help but feel like this guy is going to be special. Even if Akers does well, he won't be with us for more than two or three years...


am I the only one with aprehension about the guy? Untill i see him kick under pressure, Im just not sold on the guy. it's relatively "easy" to kick trick shots when you can edit out a miss, but when the game, heck teh season is on the line at the end of the game.....THATS where a good kicker shines, and up to now, we can't say we have seen how he would do. i'm glad we have Akers


He kicked a 50 yarder in a game. I mean, it would be nice to have him kick a game winner...in overtime...against the wind, but it's had to simulate that in a preseason game.


I agree that what he has shown was impressive, but its the unknowns that freak me out a lil bit. Maybe if he had played the sport before, and has shown how good he was under pressure, I'd feel better about him....but as it stands im nervous.

_________________
2013 Lionbacker Fantasy Football Champion


August 26th, 2013, 3:32 pm
Profile
Online
#1 Overall Pick

Joined: November 28th, 2007, 12:50 pm
Posts: 1435
Location: Newport Beach, Ca
Post Re: Rugland
regularjoe12 wrote:
Hystrix wrote:
regularjoe12 wrote:
Hystrix wrote:
m2karateman wrote:
I have to wonder....would the Lions think enough of Rugland to put him on the PS? Probably not, I know. But it would be a shame to lose the guy, since I think he's got a promising future. However, the Lions are definitely going with Akers. It's a shame the Lions can't turn back the clock and get Matt Prater back. He didn't beat out Hanson that year, but he certainly showed he was a pretty damn good kicker.



If the Lions put him on the PS, I'd be surprised if someone didn't take him. I just can't help but feel like this guy is going to be special. Even if Akers does well, he won't be with us for more than two or three years...


am I the only one with aprehension about the guy? Untill i see him kick under pressure, Im just not sold on the guy. it's relatively "easy" to kick trick shots when you can edit out a miss, but when the game, heck teh season is on the line at the end of the game.....THATS where a good kicker shines, and up to now, we can't say we have seen how he would do. i'm glad we have Akers


He kicked a 50 yarder in a game. I mean, it would be nice to have him kick a game winner...in overtime...against the wind, but it's had to simulate that in a preseason game.


I agree that what he has shown was impressive, but its the unknowns that freak me out a lil bit. Maybe if he had played the sport before, and has shown how good he was under pressure, I'd feel better about him....but as it stands im nervous.


I like the fact he has never played football before. This whole thing is his dream coming true and it all came from him making a damn youtube video. I bet there isn't a kicker anywhere in the league with less pressure than he has. Anything that he does is more than he even thought would happen, just making a team's training camp this season was a long shot. Guys like Akers and other vets have tons of baggage that comes from their time in the league and the pressure of maintaining their current lifestyles by not get cut.


August 26th, 2013, 4:11 pm
Profile
National Champion

Joined: August 13th, 2006, 11:04 pm
Posts: 881
Location: Washington, DC
Post Re: Rugland
Well, I guess there no point in this thread. He was released.

I hope he's able to play for another team...


August 27th, 2013, 3:53 pm
Profile
Div 1 - Starter

Joined: December 13th, 2005, 2:09 pm
Posts: 530
Post Re: Rugland
Hystrix wrote:
Well, I guess there no point in this thread. He was released.

I hope he's able to play for another team...


Rugland is getting a tryout with the Packers, which doesn't surprise me at all. Green Bay has Mason Crosby, a guy that seems to be suffering from a terminal case of the yips, and they signed a kicker as a UDFA, then with a week or so left in the pre-season signed another FA, cut the first UDFA, and then decided to cut the other FA.

I gotta believe when Crosby is the best scrape of the bottom of the barrel, the idea of signing a guy that can kick it long makes sense.

_________________
If God isn't a Lions fan, then why is the sky Honolulu Blue?


August 31st, 2013, 9:45 am
Profile
All State
User avatar

Joined: December 12th, 2008, 1:42 am
Posts: 355
Location: Michiana
Post Re: Rugland
Joe makes a very good point that no one will know how good he is until there's 14 seconds to go in tied game and he has 11 men rushing towards him trying to rip his head off, but I really don't feel any enthusiasm for Akers and I get the feeling that we are REALLY going to miss Jason Hanson this season. IMO I think they should have considered taking the chance. Plenty of teams take a risk on rookie kickers every year and still have success with them. You have to start somewhere.

_________________
Same Old Lions, just a different year....


September 3rd, 2013, 10:29 pm
Profile
Player of the Year - Offense

Joined: September 25th, 2007, 3:20 am
Posts: 2828
Post Re: Rugland
The problem is even rookie kickers have some high school and 4 years of college kicking experience prior to becoming that rookie. Rugland is 4 years behind. I don't think he'll take that long to get up to speed if he works all year with a kicker mentor, but he's not ready. His form was terrible at times. It was most visible on kickoffs. The technique was just wrong and allowing it to remain wrong would be impossible to correct later. There's no way Martin should be kicking 10-15 yards longer with the leg strength Rugland has. The difference between kicking off the ground while it's being held to kicking off a tee is a difference, but it shouldn't reduce your strength by that margin. I loved the idea of developing him, but he just wasn't ready.


September 3rd, 2013, 11:08 pm
Profile
ST Coordinator – John Bonamego

Joined: February 11th, 2005, 3:01 pm
Posts: 3875
Location: WSU
Post Re: Rugland
njroar wrote:
The problem is even rookie kickers have some high school and 4 years of college kicking experience prior to becoming that rookie. Rugland is 4 years behind. I don't think he'll take that long to get up to speed if he works all year with a kicker mentor, but he's not ready. His form was terrible at times. It was most visible on kickoffs. The technique was just wrong and allowing it to remain wrong would be impossible to correct later. There's no way Martin should be kicking 10-15 yards longer with the leg strength Rugland has. The difference between kicking off the ground while it's being held to kicking off a tee is a difference, but it shouldn't reduce your strength by that margin. I loved the idea of developing him, but he just wasn't ready.


i agree but i was surprised that his kickoffs were relatively weak, i thought he d have more trouble with placekicks given the passrush (kickrush?), snap and foot timing, and less time to get the kicks going. i thought kickoffs were more of a controlled setting but there is more technique than just rearing back and putting all hell into that ball


September 4th, 2013, 7:21 pm
Profile
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Joined: March 5th, 2009, 8:42 pm
Posts: 2292
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Post Re: Rugland
DisgruntledFan wrote:
Joe makes a very good point that no one will know how good he is until there's 14 seconds to go in tied game and he has 11 men rushing towards him trying to rip his head off, but I really don't feel any enthusiasm for Akers and I get the feeling that we are REALLY going to miss Jason Hanson this season. IMO I think they should have considered taking the chance. Plenty of teams take a risk on rookie kickers every year and still have success with them. You have to start somewhere.

if this front office has proven anything, it is that they have no idea how to build for the future. we will be in need of a K in two years. after making the playoffs we kept the same team and drafted a bunch of backups. Rugland didnt even get a real chance in the last 2 preseason game and what bothers me the most is that it proves our staff already had there mind made up and never really planned on actually evaluating talent. its not just the rugland thing but we've done the same thing at the LB position too. How have we not upgraded levy in 3 years?

_________________
Matthew Stafford is the only player in NFL history who is allowed to smoke cigarettes in the team huddle. He just chooses not to


September 5th, 2013, 1:34 am
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: January 26th, 2005, 9:34 pm
Posts: 10358
Location: Sycamore, IL
Post Re: Rugland
Sorry, but you don't cut a kicker who is a year removed from being a damn good pro bowler and is coming off obvious injuries, and has looked awesome in the PS for a guy who has never kicked in a real game before and who's mechanics are terrible. I know people love the guy because he can kick footballs into balls he just punted, but seriously, it's about winning. It's not a F'ing clown show.

_________________
_____
The kitties are slowly restoring some Millen killed faith. Now, beat those F'ing Fudgies!
Image


September 5th, 2013, 8:59 am
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: October 20th, 2004, 4:16 pm
Posts: 9988
Location: Where ever I'm at now
Post Re: Rugland
conversion02 wrote:
Sorry, but you don't cut a kicker who is a year removed from being a damn good pro bowler and is coming off obvious injuries, and has looked awesome in the PS for a guy who has never kicked in a real game before and who's mechanics are terrible. I know people love the guy because he can kick footballs into balls he just punted, but seriously, it's about winning. It's not a F'ing clown show.


I agree Convo. I don't know what people are thinking. Hanson kicked until he was 41 years old. Akers is 38, and has shown he can kick equally as well as Hanson. He can be on this team for the next 3-4 years and be a successful part of the team.

As much as Rugland was a 'feel good' story, he really didn't show that much in pre-season to warrant his being a better fit for the team than Akers.

_________________
I will not put on blinders when it comes to our QBs performances.


September 5th, 2013, 9:01 am
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: August 6th, 2004, 9:21 am
Posts: 9549
Location: Dallas
Post Re: Rugland
m2karateman wrote:
he really didn't show that much in pre-season to warrant his being a better fit for the team than Akers.


He did show he forgets he needs to kick off after a FG!

_________________
Image
LB Tweet


September 5th, 2013, 9:07 am
Profile WWW
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], rao and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.